Notices

Starting to get harder again....

Old 06-28-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting to get harder again....

Man I did great last night. I've never ever had the urge to drink during the day. I was a complete 5-9 pm drinker and I'd go to bed. But after 36 hours, my head hurts, I'm fuzzy and my afternoon is starting to suck! I felt good this morning, why do I feel crappy now craving a drink in the middle of the afternoon?

I need to go find more food here at work...
Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Stay strong.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay strong Squishy!!! I'm here at the witching hour as well. You'll be fine!!!! It's like a medication that you take every day. When you don't take it, you start to feel different. Well, alcohol has done the same thing to our bodies. At the same time every day, the cravings kick in, and that is when it's time to eat a piece of fruit, go for a walk, continue the task you are facing. BUT DON'T HAVE A DRINK! Well, water is okay, of course. Eat, yes, eat...something - satisfy that craving!!!

A friend of ours who has hepatitis C due a blood transfusion over 32 years ago from a motorcycle accident. He had to quit drinking to have as much success as possible with his treatments. He has now gone through 6 months with a 6 month break and no improvement and recently finished 12 months of treatment and will find out how it took. Evern though his liver issue is not due to alcohol (even though he has the belly to prove he loved beer), he calls alcohol "the devil's koolaid". Don't do it!

I'll check on you again later. I'm headed outside with an iced tea in hand to finish my gardening.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Chocolate helps me. Try that?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fenris - I'm off the vending machine as we speak. :-)
Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Vending machines are our friends right now. Find something sinfully good!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That was me last night.... I just kept on water and light food.... I was lying on the lounge when it started to get wonky, recognised it was my withdrawls and was saying in my head 'Bring it on, u wont win this time' over and over...

Like Buleah says..eat what u can...and fluids...I also use vitamin B
Old 06-28-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok you guys make me laugh and think. Thank goodness you are here. I will definitely be plugged in from 5-8 tonight with the kiddos playing in the backyard. I grabbed some yogurt and tea and water. whew I hate this weird feeling.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good job, squish - you can get through it.

Like others said - what helped me through that first week was:

-water-water-water-water-iced tea-water - till my belly was full
-rice cakes
-coffee (not 10 cups, but one in the afternoon was a good pick me up)
-gummi bears (not pushing the sugar thing, but it did help me a lot) i'm off them now
-more water
-not letting myself get hungry

and SR!

Great job on staying ahead.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's not easy but we have to do it! Hang in there. I just had some peanut M&Ms.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Brat! The headache is something awful now - ugh. At least I only have 1.5 hrs to go here at work. I would like to go home and get my babies and maybe even head to the grocery store or even mall for that matter! (Its 98 here today!) I've dealt with withdrawl before, but man you forget how much it sucks...
Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Towards the end of my drinking career, my next to last hurdle was getting over that afternoon ritual of running to get a drink. Lots of water really helps and take a quick inventory.......hungry? angry/anxious? lonely? tired? If any of those triggers are active do your best to quell them down.

It seems that no matter what I did early on, when my body clock "knew" it was about that time I ultimately had no choice but to talk myself down and ride the wave until the craving was over with. Each time it does get easier to deal with until that particular habit goes away.

My old afternoon routines are actually around this time as we speak. It helped me to also get on SR and just read stuff and grab a snack and ice water.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

In my experience, it's so much easier to stay sober than it is to get sober.

Remember this pain you're going through and good luck to you!! Stay strong.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gummi bears.....if I'm going to have real sugar, that would be it. I've drank so much sun tea, water, and crystal light that I feel like I'm going to float away. But, every one is right, staying full, and getting past the craving stage. Sure isn't easy.

Yesterday, I had a flippin' pounding headache all afternoon. I kept blaming it on Michigan humidity, I knew what it was, though and rode it out.

Many great ideas here - thank you every one and thank you Squishy for getting this post going.:ghug3
Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Agree with Buelah~~ it counts for something when you are humble enough to come and post like this. I see it as a growth spurt!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Buelah - I spent my summers in Harbor Springs so I know that humidity in MI!!! I'm sure part of it is the heat here today. I won't even be able to run after work today, but my plan is to go first thing in the morning. That should help my cravings I hope...stay tuned!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Leo! You guys are all great...:-)
Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well said Paperdolls! When I made it thru my first 30 this time around in AA one of my friends with 17 years made the same comment and it stuck with me.

I am constantly battling my sugar intake, and just as I thought I was making some progress I wound up doing the 3am, eyes closed scarf down big piece of chocolate cake last night!!

Not happy bout it, but I can workout for 30 minutes today or workout extra over the weekend. Not being allergic to sugar, it wont kill me and I'll trade some excess eating a few times per week to aide my effort to leave alcohol alone any minute of any day.

I know I'll eventually get back to eating healthy 90+% of the time, I know my workout routine will get back to it's old self - I don't know what will happen if I drink again and I don't know if I'd make it back to living sober. Makes the whole eating thing much easier when viewing the 'big' picture.

I laugh at those who think its swapping one addiction for another. But that's just me (hey, I used to be a blackout drinker but now I eat chocolate at 2am ).
Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ok so after a yogurt, banana, jalapeno almonds, snickers bar and water I'm starting to feel better. :-)
Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Gosh so glad I have SR right now. I have had awful cravings for a drink today. It is hot here today 96%. I took my grandson to the kiddie pool and between the sun and just being in the habit of drinking,my addictive voice was SCreaming at me. It feels awful. I too have been eating more chocolate since I quit drinking. I really could see that cool glass of white wine in my hand after I got home. I had to go to the grocery for some needed items and bought chocolate instead of the wine. wheee... I felt like that was a close one! I mean I know that I am an alcoholic and craving booze is what I do. PaperDolls I really like what you said, it is easier to stay sober than to get sober. I also just need to remember where my last drinks got me. It was a very dark place indeed. Thank you for being here. I also didn't make a meeting last night or get any exercise in the last couple of days and it does make a difference. I did do some big book work, but a meeting is a medicine for me that I cannot forget to take. Ahhh (())s The Lush