Notices

Starting to get harder again....

Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good night. Tomorrow will be a nice sober day, and most likely better than today.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Great support on this thread!

Squishy, if I could say anything it would be to realize this too shall pass.

I know it is a cliche, but, it is true.

I remember all too well when my children were younger, car seat age, dealing with the stress and demands of work, home, children, diet, excercise, rinse, repeat. I spent too many years drinking to make everything flow..to just do it all, day in, day out.

My children are older now, one is a senior in college and one a senior in high school, in a flash they grew up.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have made a more serious attempt at sobriety earlier. I thought getting all that stuff done was what mattered.

What truly mattered was being there, fully present with my children.

So, stay sober, you can do it...be there for them, these chances don't come again.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hope you are having a good evening Squishy, and everyone else!

I made it though those couple of hours of cravings. If you are anything like me there is a time frame (do people call it the witching hour?) that has to pass and everything is fine again soon after. I hope to keep this in mind tomorrow.

Wishing the best for you squishy

Oh, I just have to say that I love saying/typing your name, squishy
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Ahhhhhh, I made it one more day! Thank you all of you! What a special group. I woke up and ran this morning, although my body still feels out of whack I did ok. I am in a class all day today, but will try to check the site from my phone. I hope you all had a great night! Here's to Day 3 for me and I think you too Wiggle! Let's get thru today...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yes! Day three for me too squishy! So exciting to wake up half way normal and proud of yourself. I do feel there is a funk going on in my head/body too, but in a good way. This should all pass in time. Things I noticed the past two days: sore throat in the morning (goes away with time/water) and also the fact that I want to have a cup of coffee. That hasn't happened in a loooong time. Could never stomach it! I am really enjoying these last two days, even if there are a few hours of hell, better than a whole day of nausea/headache/no-energy hangover then just to repeat the process. What was I thinking just a few days ago, and the last 10 years?? baahh.

Yay for day 3!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Thanks Mariano for the reminder of all the reasons that my addiction is my enemy and why I hate it.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

What a great thread. You guys have so much energy I had to take a nap yesterday after reading.
I can really relate to the liquor store drive by. I have to drive by the nieghborhood pub everyday on my way home from work. I refill a bottle of water at work everyday before I leave so I will have something to drink when I drive by. The temptation is still that great.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Never thought the term "drive by" would mean getting past a liquor store successfully. But, I managed to do it after work today. I then called my hubby to see where he was at, and asked if I could meet him at the grocery store as I didn't have cash on me and didn't want to put milk and tomatoes on my credit card. So, he said "meet at the beer store". I said "just meet me behind the grocery store". Glad he's easy to deal with. Just hope he doesn't come home with that case of beer that has 12 regular Bud Light and 6 Lime ones...they will have to be sacrificed to my neighbor's fridge.

Any way, we are officially doing drive-bys....don't let the cops see you!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Witching hour, witching hour please go away, I do not wish to play today...
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Everybody is pulling for you right now. Deep breath and push that bottle away. You know you can do this.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

That witch won't win you. I find reading very useful. Do you like reading? Music, perhaps? Relaxing with yoga, or just sitting quietly and breathin deeply? Hot bath? Going for a walk or doing some workout? ? Cleaning the house or cooking? Do you want my recipe for "gazpacho", a delicious spanish cold soup of vegetables --so good for alcoholics?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Marino I love yoga - but my schedule is so tight these days. I got up and ran this morning which was tough but I did it. Thank you Stream - I am just eating my way through the next 3 hours....
Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found it useful to mix up my routine, SB.

Whenever your personal witching hour is, try doing new, different things as far as practicable - if you usually cook then, cook later; if you usually sit by the TV, start a hobby, walk around the block etc.

D
Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I just broke open a box of ice cream drumsticks so I am right here with ya. One good thing the ice cream industry took from the beer idustry is packaging these things in 12 packs. I'll see if I can strech them out 3 hours.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Ice cream drumsticks.....oh that's sounds so good! I'm jealous! I think tonight might be junk food night! No sunflower seeds or rice cakes tonight, dangit!

Squishy - you'll get through it. I agree with Classical, we have a great group. Let every one's words and inspiration keep going through your head. And remember....you'll feel like a million bucks in the morning. I did this morning, even though I had a small headache...but still felt great! Today is a great day, keep it that way!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

He came home with only food!!!! YES
Old 06-29-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

OK, may be you woul like to try this spanish cold soup, called "Gazpacho". It must be very cold. We eat it as starter in summer meals. It is very refreshing. I think that preparing a new recipe will help with the cravings

Traditional Gazpacho
This basic version of gazpacho is the one travelers would be most likely to encounter when touring through Spain. The fact that this soup is commonly found, however, in no way renders it "ordinary".One taste of this chilled gazpacho and you will be instantly transported to a land of whitewashed walls, red-tiled roofs, and a golden sun...
Diners: 4
• Preparation time: 30 min.
• Difficulty: easy
Ingredients
• 10 oz of bread
• 21 oz. of tomato
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 2 onions
• 2 red and green peppers
• 1 cucumber (optional)
• 7 tablespoons of olive oil
• 2 tablespoons of vinegar
• Some water (not a lot)
1: Put the tomatoes, onion, pepper, cucumber, vinager, oil and bread into a liquidizer. If you want to dilute it, add a glass of water. Tip: if you want to go for a tangy garlic taste, add a small amount of fresh garlic to the mixture before liquidizing.

2: Put the mixture into a bowl, add salt and pepper and leave the gazpacho to chill for at least an hour. If you want to eat it straight away, you can put some ice cubes in to cool it down. Gazpacho is a Summer dish which is meant to hydrate and cool down your body. So the colder the better!!

3: Serve the gazpacho en soup bowls, with the portions of diced tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, onion, croutons etc on the table, so that everyone can add them to their bowl as they prefer. Tip: you can also sprinkle diced serrano ham or hard boiled egg.

Tips/Secrets: Make sure you have enough time to put it in the fridge so that you can serve your gazpacho really chilled. Use quality produce. Vary the ingredients according to your personal taste. Gazpacho makes a delicious starter to a meal.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Mariano - I love making home made soups. And I love tomatoes and all kinds of veggies. This sounds wonderful. I will put this on my list of soups to make for fall/winter. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks Mariano! That sounds terrific!

Is the 21 oz of tomatoes a tomato sauce? Or whole peeled tomatoes? Crushed tomatoes?

In 1985 I ran with the bulls in Pamplona and fell in love in Barcelona. Sure wish I had been sober when it happened.

By the way, your English is excellant.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

No, no tomato sauce!! They are just fresh tomatoes. Cut them in pieces. Al the vegetables must be cut in pieces and put them in the liquidizer. All the vegetables must be fresh.

Buelah, not for winter, but for summer!! It is very refreshing and hydratating, so i think it is good for alcoholics.