Notices

Putting out a challenge

Old 03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

I love having new people join us welcome aboard lookingforward. this challenge has been good for a lot of us so far. I know it is helping me get day to day. I don't want to log on and have to say I failed.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Recovering Alchie

Day 12 for me, I cant believe my whole house is spotless and all my washing is done lol, for the first time in ages i read a while in bed and had a lovely nights sleep!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:54 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

day 20! I cant wait to say its a solid month!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I used to "pay myself" $5.00 every morning when I woke up sober....took the saved $$ and bought myself a present as a "reward" for staying the course....the first thing I remember were these incredible soft high thread count sheets.....because i was sleeping so much better, the color was so pretty and i didn't pour the $$ down my throat.

congrats to all of you for getting through the first couple of tough days.
That's not a bad idea, Fandy. I did much the same thing when I stopped smoking. I simply put the money that I would have spent on smoking materials (I generally smoked small cigars, but cigarettes were also on the menu) aside, and then treated myself once the major cravings were over.

I suppose you could do much the same by saving the amount you would have normally spent on drink. Probably, in my case, would be able to afford a small car after about a month...........
Old 03-11-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Day 18. I can't wait for my 30 days too, Okla. It will be the first solid milestone.....and a miracle!

Ha! Wander, I bet the stores I used to go to have a huge backlog of the brands of beer and wine I used to consume...they probably think I have died or moved!

I did the money thing when I quit smoking years ago. I put that money away and I eventually had enough to buy plane tickets, put a fence up at my house, etc......I just may start doing that!

Great job everyone! Stay busy this weekend, and if you have those thoughts, come here and vent first!

Moving forward.........
Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Day 16, Over half way to my first month!!

Congrats on day 1 scapilot. making day 1 is the key to making it to day 2. thats a proven fact.

Good luck today all. And be sure to listen to the advice from vicious. If you want to drink this weekend. come here first.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Editor

I'm still in. I actually feel pretty good today. Not grumpy and whats the word? HAPPY. That is normally when things started heading south, but not today my friends not today.
Great job everyone!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

So day two was a little rough still, but only in terms of trying to get back to feeling normal. Had some crazy weird dreams last night that I had agreed to join the military again, but that they were making me go back to Boot Camp. ??? In the dream I initially agreed, but after the first day I was like "WTF?? I'm out." lol. Also had another little kick in the pants last night, after a very successful debut show for my band this past weekend to a packed house down in the TCU college district, our bass player (who was also the one who begged me to join this project) decided to walk out via text message saying it was just too much to take on anymore. Hmm.... Didn't consider drinking over it at all, but had this been three weeks from now when I may forget how grateful I am to be feeling normal, that may have been a different story. Sad part is, the guys a childhood friend and we cut our teeth playing music together as teenagers. He's pretty much a major pot head, and was back then, but we both were so it wasn't so obvious then.

I hate it for him, because I see a lot of struggle in his life, and though pot's not "addicting" per se, his compulsion to change the way he feels via getting high is an addiction to him. I worry about him a bit, but I can't fix things out side of me at this point, and we all have struggles. Either way, day three...you better run, cause when I getcha' I'm gonna fold you up. Stay up people, and we'll see you back tomorrow!! Get it!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
kip

Day one for me
Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Sorry to hear about you friend, Scap. But you are right, you can't fix other people....they have to find their own way as you did. You can be a source of support for him if he lets you.......either way, sorry to hear that.

No desire to drink so far..........this feels too good. Course, I have been avoiding situations where I have to watch people drink too.........hmmmm.

Welcome Kip!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

No desire to drink so far..........this feels too good. Course, I have been avoiding situations where I have to watch people drink too.........hmmmm.
Yeah, I often find that I'm fine when I remove myself from it, but have that urge, if nothing else just for the social part of it. This past year I had been sober three plus months and went to an all out outdoors drunkfest for forth of July, and managed to not only NOT drink, but have fun. I enjoyed a lot of time with my kids that day, which was something that otherwise I'd have left for them to do on their own. So it is possible. You just can't put yourself say.....IN A BAR every afternoon and still expect that urge to stay away. As the old saying goes.

You stay in a Barber Shop long enough you're bound to get your hair cut.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Editor

I will not stop by the beer store. I will not stop by the beer store. I will not stop by the beer store. I don't know if it is the desire to drink or the awesome weather here in the spring(summer,fall,winter) that fuels these feelings.It never fails.....That little ******* in my head always shows up telling me that it is ok.You can have just a couple. You can handle it. Look everyone else is doing it. Whats the big deal?
The big deal is that you are an alcoholic. You will not stop drinking when you depart from your friends. You will drive to get more beer and run out within the hour.you will get in your car again and get more beer and not remember if you went to the store after the first two return trips. You will drink until you passout and will not remember much of anything. You will feel like death warmed over the next morning and start drinking by 10 to "feel better". You will be wasted by 2p and start the whole cycle over again. Not remembering anything that you did or said for the whole weekend.
Wow, Those couple of beers sure were good Friday night.
OK..... Nowwww I remember why I am not stopping by the beer store.
Have a Sober weekend everyone
Dave

glad you here kip
Old 03-11-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

@ Lookinforward

Thats it in a nutshell... great post.

Gonna help the will power for sure.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Friday is always a difficult day for me.

I was a bit 'twitchy' in work this morning and even at home later this afternoon.
I thought I'd beaten the blood-sugar blues but even they were conspiring against me today.

Still here though You can't get rid of me that easily

Good to see we are all still here and welcome aboard to the newcomers
Old 03-11-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Lookin, that is a great post and really hits home. Thanks.

You stay in a Barber Shop long enough you're bound to get your hair cut.
lol Scap.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Editor

Yes! Made it through Friday night. It was not too bad except for when my wife asked me to pick her up another bottle of wine for her.. I calmly explained that I could not and would not do that tonight( Same cooler that my Beer sits in). She looked at me like I had lost my mind. I then reminded her that she was the one who begged me to stop drinking just the week before or she was going to have to leave me after 20+ years. She knows that she needs to stop drinking but I guess is in denial.Scared and confused. It is what we have done for a very long time. I pray that our relationship can withstand this change. I love her with all my heart, but for now I have to work on me. Enough venting. Happy sober Saturday all.
day by day
Dave
Old 03-12-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Good job Dave, That is a tough situation. I hope that your wife can see that what you are doing is the best thing for both of you. My wife has always been the designated driver, not really a drinker.

Well off to day 17. they are starting to get easier. (sometimes) I think a lot of it is my own mindset.

Good luck today all. stay sober.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Editor

Good morning. Still here and sober. The family had a birthday party for me. Which meant that there was a lot of wine pouring. I drank my ginger ale and enjoyed the night. I am so grateful to wake up sober! Have a wonderful sober Sunday. Dave
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Recovering Alchie

2 weeks for me today! its not the longest ive ever gone but its better than a kick up the arse

felt a bit down last night as i was at my parents and I could tell they wanted me to leave (as it was saturday night and they wanted a drink) so i left and then felt the old im missing out thing. But I ate some chocolate and watched tv in bed and im still sober.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Day 18 here. Busy day planned, I am trying to make my weekends very busy so I have less time to think about drinking.

2 Weeks! way to go sezegg. That is an accomplishment, now you just have to think. I don't want to start over.

Way to go looking Birthday parties are tuff ones to make it thru. Easy to say I deserve one for the celebration.

Have a good one all. and stay sober.