Notices

Putting out a challenge

Old 03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi all! Day 7 here! Lorraine I'm sorry to hear about your breakup. Do you realize how HUGE it is that you didn't drink? I know the feelings associated with that are often times unbearable and a drink can easily relieve them (for a little while). I don't know if I could have done it. Well look at it this way, you can really focus on yourself and sobriety now.

Wander woo hoo on a whole week! That is amazing. I can't imagine what non-alcoholics think when we are so proud to not have a drink in a week. That probably sounds crazy to them like yeah? big deal. I know they don't understand...the best explanation I can give to what it feels like is imagine you haven't had a drink of water in two days. The obsession to find water, constantly thinking about water. It probably runs your mind at that point. That is what we feel but of course we don't need alcohol to function.

Welcome everyone! This thread has been so great. I check in every day to update my progress and see how everyone is doing. It has been highly motivating to have a group of people right where I am in recovery. I know you all get me!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 9 and feeling fine..... Wow this is really starting to feel good. I am sleeping better. I am able to keep my mind off booze most of the time. Tho I wish the liquor store n my neighborhood would close. I still find myself looking over there whenever I pass.

Congrats Tomato on your first week. Like u said doesn't seem like much to normal people but to us in the know it is a big accomplishment. Keep it up.

Welcome to the newcomers. This is my favorite thread on this site. and I check it daily, always helps.

Have a great day all.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Day 6 - feeling a little weak today - it's Friday.
Dunno why - it's just another day, but then again it's not, is it?

Friday night is party night, always has been.

Hoping to continue the challenge into day 7!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hey smudge, Friday night can also be movie and ice cream night. You can make it thru.

Looking forward to hearing Day 7 tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

For me Friday night is poker night. Over the years I drank more and more, till it got to the stage where people would talk about cool hands, and I would just have to say "yeah, what a hand", not remembering the hand at all. The great thing about poker is that the serious players NEVER drink when playing!
Getting back to the OP - until alcohol basically turned me into a serial loser I was also highly competitive. The only thing I could do until last week (since previously being sober) was drink more than anyone else. Like others in this thread, I also have doubts about being competitive about this with others. Competition has huge benefits - it helped me consistently get top marks in most of my university courses. But I know for me that there was only one really easy way to forget about a failure - alcohol, and that is something that could (for me at least) be a very nasty combo in recovery. Drink, you lose - never mind, just keep drinking and forget about it. Different strokes for different folks though!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Smudg3R....maybe make a plan to keep yourself busy this weekend? Do something different.....I know when I have idle time, it gets me thinking........

Day 11 here......slept like a rock....finally. My mind is starting to slow down a bit. Good things are happening.....did I just not notice before?

It looks like we all have around the same time in, that will be nice as we progress..........YAY to all of you!! To us the time in is huge! I never thought I could get this going again.......it feels pretty good.

Stay strong this weekend.........we CAN do this!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Yes, the breakup was very painful, and he was also my best friend and only friend and a major supporter in my recovery

On a happier note, things are going very well at my new job, I have been there almost 2 wks now. Looking forward to my 1st paycheck which I will get on the 8th - and it will have alot of OT on it, yippee!

I eat ice cream just about every night!
Keep up the good work everyone!!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

well another day down.. I am starting to try to think of this as a new lifestyle rather then just quitting something. we'll see how that pays off.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I used to "pay myself" $5.00 every morning when I woke up sober....took the saved $$ and bought myself a present as a "reward" for staying the course....the first thing I remember were these incredible soft high thread count sheets.....because i was sleeping so much better, the color was so pretty and i didn't pour the $$ down my throat.
This is a fantastic idea!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:11 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Phew - made it! That was the hardest night so far.

Now on day 7. (shakes head)

Wow, where did that come from?
Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

today is day 14 for me. AA meetings are helping tremendously. My mind is still racing 150 mph. Other than that i feel great.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Day 10 for me.. woo hoo double digits. I feel like I am going to make it this time. Not sure why just feel different and better. I really think part of it is just having someone to answer to on this site. I know I don't actually know any of you but I still feel like I have to answer to you for my sobriety, It helps.

Congrats Smudge, If you can make it thru Friday night than I'm sure you can make it thru Saturday.

I am looking forward to another sober day. Have a good one all. and most importantly

STAY SOBER
Old 03-05-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 8. I'm glad to see everyone doing so well. I can't write much b my computer is down for a a few days and I am typing on my phone. Have a great weekend!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Day 12..........went to eat with my BF last night and watched him drink two frozen margaritas........it was hard to do........why can't I be like that? Two and done.................ugh. Water with lemon for me.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

This thread just makes me smile every time i read it...
Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Day 16 here! Plans for today squashed due to rain, oh well! I was gonna work out in the yard, now it will be muddy for days. We are trying to clean out the basement, I guess I`ll work on that!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Day 13 here......it's nice to build some time in behind me.....I did a double take in the mirror yesterday. I seem to have lost the tired looking bags under my eyes and I look so much more alert....my eyes almost sparkle comparatively. Do you folks see that too?

Hope everyone is making it through the weekend ok.........wtg everyone!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Good to know we are all still 'in it'

Good luck and strength to everyone

Challenge day 8!
Well, although yesterday was officially a week, today feels like a week proper.

i.e. Sunday to Sunday

It's 23.00 GMT so I guess I've nearly made it to......
Old 03-06-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Day 11 for some reason has been a difficult one. I caught my alcoholic mind trying to convince me that it would be ok to have a couple. Not sure how that happened but it was actually tuff to say no to it. But I did, just shows me that I have a long way to go.

Viciouscyccle. glad to hear you are looking better. I have noticed my face looking better, and I have lost about 5lbs. I guess not binge drinking and eating pays off.

Glad to hear we are all still going strong.

Keep it up all.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey all. I read some of this Thread and just wanted to say congrats on all the days you all are rackin up. You're doin great.