Notices

New here. Sorry for the rambling. Need to stop today!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

That's incredible news, PoorGuy!

Glad to hear it. And your resolve to face the poisoning of you body with alcohol is an incredible beginning.

How did you sleep?

I wonder if your doctor down played the drinking because, as you surmised, he has seen so much worse.

Scroll through some of the newcomer threads here and you'll find far worse cases. The question is, do you want to come back here and post -- say in three years, or, in my case, a decade -- and see just how progressive a problem relying on alcohol can be? For me, it started with alcohol because it helped me sleep, helped me feel comfortable, helped me do a lot of things I couldn't do on my own.

You're resolve at your age is inspirational. I do know -- and learned the hard way -- that in the initial stages of recovery, we just can't do it on our own.

We who admit we are alcoholic -- even if alcohol wasn't our primary drug of choice -- would take a positive doctor's appointment or a good blood test result as a sign that we can go back to drinking. That's where addiction counselors and, yep, AA, really come into play.

You took the step to Google AA. Your fingers did the walking. Think you could get your legs to walk you through the door of an AA meeting? You're not unique on the religion angle. I haven't met one bible thumbing holy roller at a meeting. In fact, I suspect the majority of folks there are like you and me when it comes to organized religion. AA is not religion. It is about changing your life.

If you really want to stop relying on alcohol as a crutch, it can only help, not hurt. What do you have to lose?

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
That's incredible news, PoorGuy!

Glad to hear it. And your resolve to face the poisoning of you body with alcohol is an incredible beginning.

How did you sleep?

I wonder if your doctor down played the drinking because, as you surmised, he has seen so much worse.

Scroll through some of the newcomer threads here and you'll find far worse cases. The question is, do you want to come back here and post -- say in three years, or, in my case, a decade -- and see just how progressive a problem relying on alcohol can be? For me, it started with alcohol because it helped me sleep, helped me feel comfortable, helped me do a lot of things I couldn't do on my own.

You're resolve at your age is inspirational. I do know -- and learned the hard way -- that in the initial stages of recovery, we just can't do it on our own.

We who admit we are alcoholic -- even if alcohol wasn't our primary drug of choice -- would take a positive doctor's appointment or a good blood test result as a sign that we can go back to drinking. That's where addiction counselors and, yep, AA, really come into play.

You took the step to Google AA. Your fingers did the walking. Think you could get your legs to walk you through the door of an AA meeting? You're not unique on the religion angle. I haven't met one bible thumbing holy roller at a meeting. In fact, I suspect the majority of folks there are like you and me when it comes to organized religion. AA is not religion. It is about changing your life.

If you really want to stop relying on alcohol as a crutch, it can only help, not hurt. What do you have to lose?

Good luck.
No, I intend to never go back to drinking. The doctor's visit was promising but I looked at a bottle when I walked back in the door and felt no love for it. It is currently my beginning hour where I would start medicating and I want nothing of the stuff. I still don't feel 100% and am nervous about the test results but I don't have yellow skin or eyes and I want to be well if something does happen to me.

One moment where the resolve to quit really hit me hard was during the show "Untold Stories of the ER". I believe that was the show. A man in his late 50s was in a car accident and he drank just like I did (maybe less) and his liver was at a point where he could not recover. His wife and children watched as they unplugged the life support and he gulped and gasped for his last breaths in front of them as they hugged him and cried.

Nope. No more for me. Being an addictive personality, I'll have to avoid all sorts of things that would fill the void left by alcohol but will never go back to hitting the bottle.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Glad the doc was able to give you some encouraging news. How did you sleep last night without alcohol? It took me some time to get back to normal sleep patterns. I was actually prescribed a sleep aid to help the first few months. Now I am completely off all of that and I sleep like a baby.

I think you have to trust your doc and quit googling every symptom you have. It isn't healthy. Besides, a real doc giving you a personal check up is better than some internet connection. But if you do get worse, please go back to him.

You mentioned you saw the bottle when you got home. May I suggest you dump that out NOW! You don't need that kind of temptation right now.

Keep posting. Have you thought any more about a recovery plan?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
Glad the doc was able to give you some encouraging news. How did you sleep last night without alcohol? It took me some time to get back to normal sleep patterns. I was actually prescribed a sleep aid to help the first few months. Now I am completely off all of that and I sleep like a baby.

I think you have to trust your doc and quit googling every symptom you have. It isn't healthy. Besides, a real doc giving you a personal check up is better than some internet connection. But if you do get worse, please go back to him.

You mentioned you saw the bottle when you got home. May I suggest you dump that out NOW! You don't need that kind of temptation right now.

Keep posting. Have you thought any more about a recovery plan?
Thanks for checking up on me. Very strange night. I was up until around 1AM trying to get drowsy but a throbbing headache wasn't making it easy. I finally went to bed and took a benadryl to help me sleep. It didn't since I woke up around 5 times and was sleeping so light that the clock in the next room tick tocking was driving me nuts. I had to get up and take it off the wall and remove the batteries. The entire night felt like I was in constant REM sleep with strange and frightening dreams. If I didn't know any better, it's like a demon (yeah agnostic here) lives in my brain and infects my dreams and I drank to keep the demon away but now it's pissed that I am not drinking. haha. I'm objectifying what is happening so don't take (demon) literally.

This morning I woke up groggy around 6AM with the same headache still but my hands are a little trembly like only my hands are shivering slightly and got the kids on the bus to school. Wife left for work and I was alone with our pug Chuy. I was still tired from nearly no sleep last night and so I laid down on the couch with a pillow and watched the morning news trying to catch a few more zz's before I have to drive out to meet the boss to get some face time and get some work done. Chuy slept on my lap nearly the whole time and I managed to get about 30 minutes of light sleep.

I'm feeling a little better now. My last drink was on Sunday evening.

About the bottle. My wife likes Jack Daniels but she absolutely has no problem with alcohol. She teaches middle school at a horrible ghetto school. She looked for 2 years for a position at a better school but education budgets are being devastated and several schools in the metroplex are actually closing. The districts actually fired over 900 teachers and the market is swamped with teachers looking for work. It is deplorable how badly teachers are treated and that they chose to cut the educational budgets the way they did here in Texas. I know budgets need to be cut but come on, education???? Ok, off the soapbox.

Her classes are so bad that when she had to take a mental health day (yeah, they allow that at that school for obvious reasons) and her substitute walked out during second period and never returned. One of her students set the school on fire, and her tires were slashed once. She doesn't drink but maybe a splash of Jack in a whole glass of coke and she is toasted and only after a hard day or to wind down on the weekend. I don't particularly like Jack Daniels or whisky as Vodka has been my vice. I would never ask her to give up what keeps her sane until she can find a better position at a different school. We are in the process of moving up closer to where I work and since the shcools are better up there, she has resumes in every school in that area.

Recovery plan: Condition myself to see alcohol as a poisonous snake I cannot control. My ex-boss that ruined me financially had/has a love of snakes associating the two will really help. Also considering the fact that what he did to us put me and my family under so much stress that I started drinking harder during that time. Now that I am back on my feet, I don't have an excuse to need a crutch like alcohol.

Also, I'm wearing a thick rubber band around my wrist again. Any time I see a billboard or commercial for alcohol, I'm gonna whap that sunnofabeech as hard as I can to condition my brain to associate the feeling of pain with alcohol. This worked for me before with sweets. I know it sounds kind of masochistic but look at the science behind re-conditioning. Pain releases chemicals in the brain that will literally reconfigure the neurons in your brain. My eyes see alcohol and I think of instant stress-free, bliss, and fun. After 6 months of having my brain release signals for pain whenever I see alcohol, my brain will be hard-wired to associate alcohol with pain instead of bliss. This, along with my resolve and fear of poor health, and how good I will feel in 6 months should put me back on track. I am prepared to decline any drink offered to me at trade shows or at family gatherings as well without making them feel uncomfortable.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
Yes, it is all relative. I would be more productive if I quit. I wish my boss would just threaten to fire me if I had one more drink. I respect him alot and we are building a fabulous business together. I appreciate your insight.

I just googled for AA meetings in my area and strangely, the address is 213 whatever street. I just turned 30 on 2-13 this year. Strange coincidence.
There ARE no coincidences. 'Someone' is trying to tell you something. You are having bad dreams...someone is trying to tell you something. Listen to your soul! You need to get in touch with your spiritual side. Religion and spirituality are two different things -but there is a fine line drawn between them. You don't have to have "a god" to be spiritual in your own rite.
Over the years I have 'thought' many different religous ideas. I remain true to keeping in touch with where my path is leading. I don't know exactlly where I'm headed or where I'll end up but there is no better place in the universe than where you are right now. And that 'right now' is here! You are here for a reason.
Go to the doctor...let's take it from there... if you're good you get a lollipop!
WELCOME!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Yes, my wife still drinks too. But not alcoholically. She has maybe a glass of wine every couple weeks socially. I have never understood the social drinker. I mean, why drink if you aren't going to get wasted, right? I guess that is why I am an alcoholic.

I hope that you can do this on your own. If it doesn't work, are you willing to try more measures to maintain your sobriety? I tried on my own for about a a year before I admitted defeat and checked out AA. Not saying you have to use AA, but just saying that if you can't do this alone I hope you will get help.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Oh, I just stepped on the scale. Yesterday at the doctor's office I was 264 (but I had to pee) and this morning I am 257.

On Feb 6th My blood pressure was 175 over 125. Last Friday it was 160 over 96. Yesterday it was 145 over 88.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

bdiddy5522, I have always been a VERY independent person. I don't rely on anybody else to do things for me. I take personal responsibility for all of my actions. It would be VERY hard for me to walk into an AA meeting. Not because I don't want to make friends that have had/have similar problems as I do. That sounds fun. I really don't like speaking about stuff like this face to face with people. Actually, it is stranger than that. Almost something I can't put my finger on. Maybe shy about meeting complete strangers. I have hard talking about it to family because I am their rock. Nobody wants their foundation to have a large crack in it. Even though that crack is being welded, repaired, re-caulked, and refinished.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I have hard talking about it to family because I am their rock. Nobody wants their foundation to have a large crack in it. Even though that crack is being welded, repaired, re-caulked, and refinished.
I get this...I also have a hard time asking for help and support and am more often the "helper/giver" rather than the "helpee/taker" - but that's an ego thing I am trying to shake loose. I've decided - for me - it's not entirely healthy to go through life this way.

I haven't told many people about my drinking or going to AA meetings, actually. The couple of friends I've told, well, it felt really good to feel their care and support.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am their rock. Nobody wants their foundation to have a large crack in it. Even though that crack is being welded, repaired, re-caulked, and refinished.
Noone wants their rock pulverised into gravel either, PG.
I was other peoples rock too - but I began to fail at that as my addiction got worse.

When I did finally do something about my addiction, those who depended on me for various things were not only glad I was getting better, they actually did a pretty fair job of dealing with stuff themselves....

realising that was my first step in stepping down as the CEO of Everything

Don't let a misguided sense of responsibility blind you here either.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-22-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

AA is about having a happy sober life. Not a pity party. Welcome to the site! Hope everything goes well.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I remember thinking like this

"I'm at the point where I just wish it would be illegal for me to buy alcohol. I wish they could tag my driver's license and blacklist me from liquor stores. I wish my boss would tell me that if I had one more drink, he would fire me."

It would nice to continue to be a baby and let mommy fix my drinking addiction.

It aint gonna happen. It hasnt happened yet. Now all thats left is to be a man and stand up to this demon and kick its ass. Are you a man or a baby. You sound like a stand up guy. So man up and stop being a baby. Show your sons how a man deals with adversity.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drent View Post
I remember thinking like this

"I'm at the point where I just wish it would be illegal for me to buy alcohol. I wish they could tag my driver's license and blacklist me from liquor stores. I wish my boss would tell me that if I had one more drink, he would fire me."

It would nice to continue to be a baby and let mommy fix my drinking addiction.

It aint gonna happen. It hasnt happened yet. Now all thats left is to be a man and stand up to this demon and kick its ass. Are you a man or a baby. You sound like a stand up guy. So man up and stop being a baby. Show your sons how a man deals with adversity.
I've never expected anyone to fix my addiction as I stated in a previous post in this thread. I have a sonogram of my stomach tomorrow to see if anything is out of order with my liver that the doctor couldn't tell yesterday. Also, they will be checking for gallstones which is where they suspected the pain was coming from. My blood tests should be ready by Friday. That is when I'll really know if I damaged my liver.

You sound like you are employing the "tough it up you little baby and deal with the problem" approach. Not needed. I've stood up and dealt with big problems in the past but not addiction-wise. Trust me, I have made a commitment with an announcement to my family that no more alcohol will pass through these lips regardless of the test results. I'm done. It's not worth the health risk. Relieving stress in the evening is not worth the mornings and days I've felt like a shadow of myself. I've been through alot. More than I care to go into but that is no excuse to allow myself to drown in pity or booze. I've got my elastic band on my wrist both to remind myself and my family of my commitment and to also administer some reconditioning whenever I feel the urge to drink. Read my earlier post.

Also, I am not bashing AA by any means. I just don't believe it will work for me. I'm not like alot of folks.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

None of us are "like a lot of other folks." You and your addiction are not special. Me and my addiction are not special. Ditto everyone else here. Not special, not better than, not worse than. Just a bunch of addicts and alcoholics, all of us.

We've all dealt with big problems, little problems, we've all succeeded in things - some extremely, even spectacularly, well - we've all had failures and disappointments and overcome problems.

Not making light, poorguy....but none of us are special or better or different, even you, not when it comes to alcohlism and addiction. Your liver is no different to mine except the luck of the draw (I'm in my 50s and as far as I know my liver is fine.)

I've never expected anyone to fix my addiction as I stated in a previous post in this thread. I have a sonogram of my stomach tomorrow to see if anything is out of order with my liver that the doctor couldn't tell yesterday. Also, they will be checking for gallstones which is where they suspected the pain was coming from. My blood tests should be ready by Friday. That is when I'll really know if I damaged my liver.

You sound like you are employing the "tough it up you little baby and deal with the problem" approach. Not needed. I've stood up and dealt with big problems in the past but not addiction-wise. Trust me, I have made a commitment with an announcement to my family that no more alcohol will pass through these lips regardless of the test results. I'm done. It's not worth the health risk. Relieving stress in the evening is not worth the mornings and days I've felt like a shadow of myself. I've been through alot. More than I care to go into but that is no excuse to allow myself to drown in pity or booze. I've got my elastic band on my wrist both to remind myself and my family of my commitment and to also administer some reconditioning whenever I feel the urge to drink. Read my earlier post.

Also, I am not bashing AA by any means. I just don't believe it will work for me. I'm not like alot of folks.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think you're doing great poorguy and I'm glad your test results so far have been good. I haven't had a physical for years and need to do that for myself in 2011. I'm at that "age" when I should have already gotten a colonoscopy (yikes)..... of course, it's easy to put these things off while we're drinking......

Keep taking it a day at a time and keep posting - the insomnia is so annoying, but it gets better!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Glad you have gotten good news so far concerning your health poorguy.
Hope in the end you do end up with a clean bill of health as far as it can be,
considering the damaging effects of alcohol on anyone's body.

Hope you continue to post here and also educate yourself to alcoholism and addiction.

I do hope your wristband/reconditioning treatment works for you. I really do.
However, if you find it does not, please remember their are other options to recovery for you and not just limited to AA. Openmindedness is key to recovery. Remember, your very best thinking got you to where you are today. In other words, it might not have worked as well as you would have liked.
Keep going forward and all the best!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
None of us are "like a lot of other folks." You and your addiction are not special. Me and my addiction are not special. Ditto everyone else here. Not special, not better than, not worse than. Just a bunch of addicts and alcoholics, all of us.

We've all dealt with big problems, little problems, we've all succeeded in things - some extremely, even spectacularly, well - we've all had failures and disappointments and overcome problems.

Not making light, poorguy....but none of us are special or better or different, even you, not when it comes to alcohlism and addiction. Your liver is no different to mine except the luck of the draw (I'm in my 50s and as far as I know my liver is fine.)
I certainly did not mean "I'm not like other folks" in a condescending way. Never. I agree that the problem is the same. I'm an alcoholic. I just respond to people and situations differently than you or anybody else might. This is my first step of many. Maybe in the future AA will be appealing or required for me but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm just hoping my test results come back normal.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mtnmagic View Post
Glad you have gotten good news so far concerning your health poorguy.
Hope in the end you do end up with a clean bill of health as far as it can be,
considering the damaging effects of alcohol on anyone's body.

Hope you continue to post here and also educate yourself to alcoholism and addiction.

I do hope your wristband/reconditioning treatment works for you. I really do.
However, if you find it does not, please remember their are other options to recovery for you and not just limited to AA. Openmindedness is key to recovery. Remember, your very best thinking got you to where you are today. In other words, it might not have worked as well as you would have liked. Keep going forward and all the best!
True words. I always knew in the back of my mind that drinking that much for so long was wrong, stupid, bad, damaging, ect. I just shrugged and said "I'll quit when..<insert any specific date before now here> and poured a drink and the thoughts of how bad I was treating myself melted away. The last year of generalized GI problems, obsessive stress, and now this pain in my right side under my ribs, convinced me that the pleasure of drinking is not worth the pain of drinking.

I consider myself a very open minded person too. I mean, I grew up Catholic, got confirmed, Wife moved us to Baptist, got dunked in the water, she moved back to Catholic, and by then I had done enough religious research, thinking, observing, and historical research to realize that there most certainly is something greater than us, it just doesn't care on a personal level and that if I want to make my life and my family's life good, sitting in church wasn't going to accomplish that. I'd call that open minded.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

That's an interesting assertion.

I was absolutely not pushing AA, by the way. In fact in an earlier post I suggested counseling instead of a group program; group programs are not for everyone and most certainly AA is only one choice of many! Or, no program at all....people quit without outside help successfully as well. I have no dog in the fight here except wishing success - however defined - for everyone. Obviously everyone is going to first suggest what's working for them simply from experience....but indeed we all have individual reactions, quirks, whatever.

I hope your liver enzyme test comes back OK as well. I had one done a while back, it was fine....mind you that was a few years ago. Do keep us posted!

I certainly did not mean "I'm not like other folks" in a condescending way. Never. I agree that the problem is the same. I'm an alcoholic. I just respond to people and situations differently than you or anybody else might. This is my first step of many. Maybe in the future AA will be appealing or required for me but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm just hoping my test results come back normal.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

I have a sonogram of my stomach tomorrow to see if anything is out of order with my liver that the doctor couldn't tell yesterday. Also, they will be checking for gallstones which is where they suspected the pain was coming from. My blood tests should be ready by Friday. That is when I'll really know if I damaged my liver.

Congrats on getting the tests done, that is a great step, and one that some of us (ahem, speaking of myself) have put off for a bit (did get them done eventually). Good luck on Friday.