Notices

Moms (and Dads) Who Drink

Old 01-04-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi, friends. I am sitting here eating M&Ms like they're going out of style. How are you all doing?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

go moms!

It is amazing to read about all of the people who have stories so similar to mine. Wine was my reward at the end of the day with kids. I would start when they went to bed and often drank for many hours. I can't count the number of guilt-ridden, dazed mornings when I had hardly a thing to give them. I too felt "sick" on too many occasions. Feeling like crap affects your moods, your patience and your energy....it makes for a hard day....which then requires a drink or 5 to recover from...and the cycle continues. I hope to kick the habit for good. Having the support of other moms would be wonderful!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Corri, my God, your analysis of personality traits was dead on! I share many of the same, and then some!
And I agree about AA. Its wonderful to have a program to work, and have face to face support along with someone monitoring your steps!
Feelin the love of the moms tonight! xoxo
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

moms and dads and drink- day 1 for me again, yikes

This is a great thread, I think it a is a good place start to my next try...
I first posted on SR in the summer of 2010, but that was a false start and I have not quit. Loser. Tonight I won't drink, but it is easier on nights when I work late- if I am at home making dinner or dealing with the kids and boring housework it all seems so much more fun drunk. Until it isn't... and mama is "losing it" or "really tired" or "having an episode". Ugggh, my kids deserve better.

There is no fooling my 16 year old, and the 9 year old is not an idiot either. I hava a great spouse, but he has no idea how much I drink (or he does and it is too painful for him to confront my lies). It is a serious habit, hard alcohol, every night, some blackouts and lots of deception (refilling bottles, hiding empties, etc.) but what I think they in AA call "high-functioning".
Basically I love my job, my family, and my life, so it will really do me good to keep them. Hope I can. I have also always loved drugs and drink, unfortunately.

I too read a LOT, (I'm a librarian), am on the computer a lot, but those things for now will have to be ok, if I can do them without drinking. I also use a ambien and xanax, also will have to be ok for now if I can quit the damn booze.
Speaking of, I have never been a "gamer" but my new ipad has kept me enthralled with tiny fun games that suck up the hours. Right now that's a plus for me.
So I am calling this day one again. I won't stop to get wine on the way home. Oregon's liqouor laws keep the hard stuff unavailable at night, although there is dangerous peppermint schnapps in the freezer. I have already replaced that bottle once.
Happy to be in the company of other parents, it helps. I vote for dads as well as moms, especially 'cause that Nikkel guy is great.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back grrr

D
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hi Moms!

I'm a relatively new mommy (my son is now 13 months old), and I sobered up and began my recovery journey a few months before I knew I was pregnant.. but I wanted to throw in my support here, and experience. Granted, I don't know what it feels like to have a child and also drink actively, but I know the stress I'm sometimes under, the feeling of never having a treat for myself, a reward for my hard work.. it can be a harrowing thankless job some moments.. but on the flip side of course the most wonderful and rewarding experience in our lives, to mother children.

The end of my day really does end when my son goes to bed..I don't have much 'down' time after he hits the sack, usually it's already 8:30 or 9pm. Heck, I'm too tired to really think of doing anything much to wind down. Sometimes I give myself a sweet treat, and plop on the couch for a mindless TV show (the Food Network Channel serves this purpose well!), or I just go ahead and cozy up in bed, I always have a few good books going, or magazines ready to thumb through.

I think it's important to think of things (healthy things!) to do just for you. Things that you can think of that will make you happier, more comfortable, excited about your life and about just being the woman you are. I splurge on a massage a month. I joined weight watchers to get rid of these last few 'baby' pounds. I hand the kiddo over to hubby and I go get my hair cut/done, and grocery shop all by myself (for some reason little things like that can be incredibly therapeutic to me!).

I dunno just wanted to support you in your efforts to be the best mommies you can be.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi all. The start of day 3 for me - well I say the start its actually nearly midday but I havent got out of bed yet - I am sooooooo tired. Was hoping I would be a bit more bouncy by today but guess its gonna take some time. I did manage to organise things after work yesterday so everything was ready for my kids to get to school this morning but my eldest was up late messing about on her pc (and keeping me and the youngest awake - they share a room and Im finding it hard to get to sleep so every little noise disturbs me). I want to be up for them in the morning and make them breakfast and see them off with a smile instead of shouting and griping from my bedroom and keeping out of the way. I hope that will come soon. At least I am aware that drinking away the "stress" is only going to make it worse but I would very much like to feel that I am making some progress. I am trying to post on here every day at least once when I get up and once at night - I hope tomorrow I can get this done earlier. Well done to all you other Mums and Dads out there - long term sober or newly trying xxx
Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi All,

What a great thread!

I have to echo what Corri said. I am the daughter of an alcoholic, with a mother that had a PHD in co-dependency,only later in life did I realize how all of that affected my thinking. The one thing I wasn't going to be when I grew up and became a parent was become what my father was, an alcoholic.

Yet, I did. Who knows why? My genes, my thinking, my feelings, or any and all of the above.

I am not a bad Mother, wife, daughter, sister,friend or employee. I am just a sick person that needed to get better,and I am getting better everyday.

Alot of us have notions of what family life is, what being a parent involves. The reality of it is, I know I really didn't. I tried to live and create my ideal home life. Drinking was the kick I needed to make it all happen and keep it all going.

However, my kick became my crutch. Alcoholism is progressive.

After several attempts at sobriety, in 2003 I quit drinking. I used SR, and another online tool as my support tools. A bit over 2 years ago though, I felt so much better, and thought, well now that I don't need the crutch anymore, I can have a drink or two socially like "normal" folks do.

Of course, that fast forwarded from one or two drinks, to one or two bottles of wine.

I knew then, that if I didn't stop drinking I would lose everything I had worked so hard for, and everything I cared about. I worked so hard those previous years in my sobriety to become the person I truly was and wanted to be. I had "me" back..yet, I was drowning myself in bottles of wine.

For me, the rooms and program of AA have saved my life. I needed to see the faces of these other mothers, fathers, daughters and sons that were as miserable as I was. There are other programs out there, and many can remain sober with tools such as SR. I just would urge everyone to give a face to face program a shot if you are struggling. Now, I have someone to call when a teenaged daughter pushes my buttons. I can call them and whine away, without wining away. I can get a hug, share a laugh with others that know EXACTLY what I am feeling.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get so long winded. I am passionate about this topic, as I feel sobriety is the best gift we can give ourselves, and our children.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I love this thread. Im on day 3. Yesterday was a big day for me. Kind of a WOW moment. My hubby called me at work and told me about a "suprise" money problem. I thought "Im SOOO drinking tonight" But I didnt. I feel stronger everyday. I know that sounds stupid since its just been a few days. My real test will be this weekend....Im dreading it.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good for you for not drinking when life handed you one of its surprises! Drinking wouldn't have solved a thing.

Don't awfulize the weekend, but, be prepared. Come up with something different to do, drink, or go when you would usually be drinking. You can even come here and just read posts.

It is challenging at first, and I can remember being so pissed off in my early days of sobriety. But, that is just an emotion that will pass.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

My children are grown and my drinking was through their late teenage years.

What I know for sure, is that I should have taken care of myself. I thought being a Mom meant putting the children and husband first all the time. That's what I did and I thought I was doing the right thing. I was so wrong. Eventually, the well was dry and I had completely lost myself. It's not being selfish to do something for yourself on a regular basis. I think it's essential.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANEWAUGUST View Post
Good for you for not drinking when life handed you one of its surprises! Drinking wouldn't have solved a thing.

Don't awfulize the weekend, but, be prepared. Come up with something different to do, drink, or go when you would usually be drinking. You can even come here and just read posts.

It is challenging at first, and I can remember being so pissed off in my early days of sobriety. But, that is just an emotion that will pass.

thank you! Luckily I have to work until 1:30 on Saturday (never thought I would say that) If I can make it through this weekend I know I can make it long term. I definetly will be reading A LOT! Thank you again!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I am a mom of 2, I am 14 days sober. Beer is my poison of choice, then when that wasnt enough I addded vodka, my husband drinks too, but could stop after a few, but I cant. He didnt know I was drinking the vodka. I told him one night when I was trashed about the vodka. I told him I would stop. I did for a while, we started drinking beer again and had it under control for a while, but didnt take long to turn back to the vodka after he went to bed. A couple weeks ago he busted me making a drink, he said he suspected it , because he heard the ice machine alot after he went to bed. He wanted to put me in rehab, but I begged him for one more chance. So it has been 2 weeks since I had adrink, he hasnt drank either which really helps.
At the same time I was drinking alot I added pot to the mix, I was smoking it every night, and drinking. I kept smoking when I quit drinking, it helped me get threw withdrawal from the alcohol. 2 days ago I flushed the pot down the toilet, I got reallly high after I put the kids on the bus, and felt horriblr about it, I was thinking what if they got sick and I had to pick them up from school. I just decided that it was stupid and I needed to grow up. My husband didnt know about the pot and would have been really pissed if he knew that. I knew if I kept doing it he would eventually find out. I feel like a weight has been lifted, not having that secret life anymore.
I really feel good about my sobriety this time, the cravings are starting to fade and I feel better, I get things accomplished during the day and it feels good.
I didnt mentioned that I started drinking when I was 12, and the only time I was sober for any lenght of time is when I was pregnant for my kids.
One day at a time is my plan, I am finding strenght in prayer and support from my husband and my pastor who I confided in about my problem.
I have been on this sight before during my failed attempts. I am going to use this as another form of support this time again. It is good to know that I am not the only mom who used drinking as a stress reliver.
If u read this, thanks for listening to me babble on.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I am so grateful for all the moms and dads on this thread. I was also a librarian and read a book a day or two! It is amazing to find all these similar traits. I am now sober 15 days, but I have been out of town, so have not yet faced the nights at home sober. It is so helpful to hear all your experiences and advice. Last night, I was with drinkers, and just wanted to have a beer ( which I don't even like!) and be "part of the crowd.". Reading about everyone's struggles--so much like my own it is scary--reminds me again and again that I am not like the crowd. I'm just not. I have to find a way to be sober. Thank you all with all my heart.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Also, I just got an iPad, and I loaded it wth books (Freedom by Franzen, Hunger Games, which is a food page-turner) and I also got a 12Step app, which tracks my sober days and has the Big Book on it. I agree it's fun to tap away on this overpriced thing...

But it keeps re- typing things for me...like I wrote "good" page-turner, and it typed "food" page-turner, above. So if I say anything really weird, it's not me, just my iPad!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

MJ:

Have you had a chance to take a look at The Big Book yet? Even if you don't go to a meeting, you might want to read some of the book, if you feel up to it. And start at the very beginning so you know why it is presented the way it is. If you like to read, you will probably plow through it in no time. I know I did. It stunned the heck out of me, and if there were any nanoglobs of doubt left in me, after reading The Big Book, they were all gone.

Big Book On Line
Old 01-05-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Sorry, we cross posted!

I woke up this morning feeling... good? Well, at least not like ****. I'm on day six (in this latest go round, but this time I'm IN AA). People in the meetings ask me how long it's been and I tell them. They give me a congrats and tell me to keep going. I appreciate it, I do.

But for me, I didn't drink every day. I could go a few weeks and not have a drink. The problem for me is I'm a binge drinker, and Lord look out if I went a bought some wine. I'd kid myself and only get one, but I knew in my heart I'd be back out for another. Being terrified of drinking and driving, I finally just started buying two or three bottles. I never got to the third, but having the third one always started the next binge. They usually lasted two or three days at a time until the guilt, remorse, shame made me poor out whatever was left. And then the cycle would start all over. One or two weeks with nothing... bender.

So if God and I get me through an entire month, I may be able to look someone in the eye when they say, "Way to go." That's my short term goal.

Getting back to feeling good... feeling good scares me. Isn't that just... fcked up? I'm terrified that I'm going to start believing I've got this thing licked. I will NEVER have control over it. Ever. My daily morning prayer, I beg God to never, ever, ever let me think that or believe it. Ever. I'm am just soooooooo good at buying my own ********. Who the hell would ever think you'd be afraid and doubtful of your own inner voice?

Everything I ever thought I knew... is gone. Actually, that isn't such a bad thing because I really have nothing to think about now. LOL. I think about getting up, having my coffee, getting to work, and deciding which AA meeting to attend. That is the extent of my 'intellectual' thinking right now. I'm not even 'flogging' myself because I know where THAT can lead. Yet, not annihilating myself each day inside my head is quite a new experience for me. I mean, wow.

However, I don't pat myself on the back for making it through yesterday either because I know where THAT can lead me. Not feeling overly confident about alcohol is quite a new experience as well. I concentrate on today. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever, ever done that before either.

My ex is threatening to go for sole custody of our boys. He let me know that yesterday. I thought, wow, way to kick a dog when it's down. But then I caught myself. There is a reason why we are divorced, and to expect anything different from him would be foolish. And I know where THAT can lead. If he sets it all in motion, I know what I have to do, and I prayed to God for His help. And I let it go. I let it go. THAT is another knew experience for me.

When I go out about my day, I look people in the eye and I smile at them, just like the people smiled at me at my first AA meeting, because you just never know what kind of hell and demons a person could be facing, no matter what they look like, no matter what their profession, color, creed, religion, etc. All those labels and descriptions of people have somehow faded within me. I do not assume someone has it better or worse anymore. Another new experience.

It's all these tiny little things, right now, that are truly blowing me out of the water. Maybe this is a spark of what it's like to really live. Staying completely and utterly out of my head crap and letting life show me what it is -- rather than me just thinking and concluding that I KNOW what it is. Because I know for certain I've been wrong about damn near everything up until six days ago. And I always thought I was such a learned and intelligent person. Who knew.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maryjan, I worked in a library for many years, too. Books have always been my first choice in dealing with any problem. It was books that really helped me to take the first step to stopping drinking. My favourite is "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. What a brutally raw, honest book.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Talking Thanks Grrr!

Thanks Grrr, I just got a happy beaming feeling when you said I was great! Hee hee! The only thing is, I am not a guy, I am a Mommy too! I just want to make sure we don't exclude the Daddy's, or anyone else for that matter that struggles with alcohol and parenting at the same time. I hate it when people fall through the cracks!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hang in there Dearyme...the fatigue does start to subside...I had it for quite a few days as well. It gets better. Stick with it....you will be so much happier....no more hangover remorse! In the meantime, get the rest if you need it to heal. That was the advice I received on this site and it was really helpful. Nurture yourself...your whole family will benefit in the long-run.