Notices

Methadone good treatment for heroin addiction?

Old 11-01-2003, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dkl

Methadone good treatment for heroin addiction?

Just wondering because my niece was using heroin and then methadone. Ran out of money and couldn't buy methadone. Went to hospital for a few days. She was clean for 3 weeks and then relapsed. We're pretty sure she's using heroin again. She's got an appt. with a clinic that she thinks will put her on a low dose of methadone, but I don't know anything about the drug. It would seem to me that a person should get off drugs altogether, and I understand that methadone is even harder to get off of. So I'm wondering for all of you that have kicked the heroin habit, is methadone the way to go. Should we, her family, support her in this? Is it considered drug treatment? Should we help pay for the treatment? Help. All answers welcome. Thanks, Donna
Old 11-02-2003, 03:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I don't know anthing much about drug treatment, really, but I do know that over here in UK Methadone IS used mostly. Not sure how well it works, but for ME, I am not sure I would want to go down this path, since the addict has to go to their local pharmacy, where they are given the Methadone, and have to drink it down at the counter, in full view of the staff and other customers!!!

I find this very offensive, personally. Surely to God, they can designate a small room for them to drink their meth??

I was in my local phrmacy the other day, waiting for my meds, and chatting to an elderly couple, when a young girl came in with a baby in a buggy, she was given the methadone, and the elderly lady said (In a not-too-discreet voice!!!) "Oh, look at that, the poor kid, having a drug addict for a mother!! - tha'ts that methadone stuff she's drinking you know"

EVERYONE knows what thse addicts are doing there, and I am sure this girl MUST have heard the woman, and I just wanted to crawl under my chair!!!

Now if I WAS an addict, and wanted help, I would want something a tad more DISCREET than this!!! Maybe this is not the way you do it in other countries, but I think addicts are being treated like second-class citizens by doing this????
Old 11-02-2003, 03:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi dkl,

In spite of what my feelings on methadone are, or if it's the best treatment for heroin addiction. I would ask myself the question. Will she continue to pursue methadone recovery if her family were not supportive of her? The bottom line is that it is going to be her decision. In that it is recovery oriented, supporting her decision here seems like the best option to me. Most likely she will do what she is going to do no matter what.

Methadone has helped a great many people. I have read all of your posts and your neice may want to look into a stable methadone clinic for low income people and into the narcotics anonymous program. There are a lot of people there who will be able to give first hand experience on methadone and heroin. Coming from a fellow addict sometimes sits a lot better than hearing this kind of stuff from your aunt. No offense, I am just trying to help you. I am an addict and a family member of one so I understand both sides of this issue.

Please take a look at the Naranon or Alanon forums. Really, you won't be dissappointed. I know how hard this is for you and it may help to get some support with it.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dkl

Thanks Avie and Stephanie. I appreciate your responses, and I totally understand what you're saying. I am in another state, far away from the situation in New Orleans. I'm trying to help my sister, who's having the toughest time of all of this because this is her daughter.

I have read the other boards and have tried to give my sister some useful information. I have been on this board and read every message since this problem was discovered. We looked up nar-aron, and there doesn't seem to be any in Louisiana. I'm trying to get her to go to a support meeting, but like I said she has her own mental health issues. My niece is still using and doesn't have any more money for her drugs. My sister doesn't think she'll steal from her, but I know she will. My own son stole very precious jewelry from me and sold them for who knows how much.

But the big problem I have is that my niece doesn't have an appt to that clinic for 2 weeks. What will happen in the meantime? She will do what most addicts do when they need money, and she will be doing things and using drugs that can be more harmful than methadone.

My personal feeling is that since she won't go into a treatment program, then she doesn't want to quit and is just hoping to get through 2 weeks in hopes of getting into the clinic that will put her on the methadone.

My thinking is that if this were my daughter, I'd contact the police or someone and ask for advice about getting her locked up. She has stolen money and is staying in her old apt. after getting evicted. I would do whatever I had to do to get her off the street--whether she wanted the help or not. Is that wrong?
Old 11-02-2003, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well I been on methadone for almost 2 years now...I was addicted to heroin for 6 yrs...And before i went on the program I was extremely against going on a methadone program..I remember when one of my running buddies told me he was going on it I was like WHY??its just like being on heroin but its legal...But after i been in 5 rehabs and more then 25detox's..I was so tired and i just wanted a way to get off of heroin..And even when i would go into rehabs I would be fine inside cause I had to be...I had counselors and people all around me..But the problem was going through withdrawal and i when i would i was very anxious and couldnt pay attention to the things I needed to keep me clean when i left there...I needed something to help me when i was home and faced with temptation..And for me who had medicade and no family help methadone was the only way to go...
So I finally chose a year after that friend of mine told me he was going on it..To try methadone..I was tired and all i remember saying is im only gonna be on for 6 months...Just as long to get me over that hump...But now 2 yrs later of course i see things totally different...Methadone is good for some people..I think the reason it worked for me is because finally i was doing it for me...and i needed something that could calm me but not as much as getting high..And with that i was really able to work with my counselor and in groups and deal with the problems i had too...And it also depends on the program you chose..I really believe that the ones where you only drink the methadone isnt as good as the ones like mine which arent a maintence program..They are geared to balance you on the meth but also they have programs to get you into working and getting your life back up without methadone..And it has helped me alot..I am now being brought down 5 mg a month..I know that sounds very lil..But for me its the way i wanna go because methadone is a man-made opiate..And if you come off fast you will get sick..And its not that is worse then a heroin withdrawal Its that its longer..A heroin withdrawal will last the worst part 3-5 days..and you would feel some aches and stuff for maybe 2 weeks..
But with methadone if you dont do it right and you go to quick you will suffer with a withdrawal..kinda bad for a month..you wont feel near normal for like 3 months..And thats why im going slow but not too slow..im on 60mg and by this spring i should be close to zero...and the good thing about my program is 6 months after my last dose of methadone i still can go to the groups and see my counselor...
I believe it depends on the person and where they happen to chose to go...I first went in a program when i was living in jersey and there they only have private clinics where you have to pay..at that time i didnt have medicade so i had to pay 60 dollars a week..and that was just to get my methadone everyday..and thats all they cared about every monday they would be like you have our payment..if you didnt you had 3 days to pay some of it..if not they begin to detox you..They didnt check urine except when you first got on to see how much opiates you had in your system..They didnt care what you did after you left the program..And i feel methadone alone doesnt help you stay off..
Even though methadone once you find your blocking dose..Mines 70mg..where if u did use heroin you cant feel it..It helps..but if you truely have things you dont wanna deal with or you still arent completely strong enough to keep away from using...lets say if you still keep in contact with people and places...You will just fall back and probably get either kicked off the program or quit..Thats what happened to me at my first program..I really felt it was legal dope because i had to shell out 60 bucks a week and they didnt help me at all except with giving me meth.,..But 6 months after i was on that one i hit a bottom and went home to my moms..there i was arrested with posession and this cop told me about my program im on now..and even though it was a bad situition it saved me...well i hope i have helped u and not confused you..If you have any questions..feel free to pm me..I wish you the best..Jackie
Old 11-02-2003, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dkl

Thank you Jackie. Your info helped me understand. I know she went to a methadone clinic, but she said if she didn't pay, she didn't get the drug. When her Mom found her, that's why she was in withdrawal.

I am not opposed to her being on methadone if it keeps her off the streets buying heroin, but I wish it could be a program like you described, where she's getting help with getting her life back on track. I think the only thing she's thinking of now is that she needs to be on the drug. She hasn't talked about working out any oher problems like getting her life back in order.

How do you find such a program? It sounds like you made many attempts to detox, and it sounds like you are happy where you are right now. I'm sure it's not an easy decision to make.

Thank you, Donna
Old 11-02-2003, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

Hello Donna

True Blue here. I tried finding info on meeting for Nar-anon in the new orleans area. But no luck. Just call AA, or NA and they will be able to help you. You could also call one of the phone #'s I had given you, they will be able to help also. I will pray for you & your sister & niece. Best of luck to you.

True Blue
Old 11-02-2003, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well I found this program im in when i was in a program when i got arrested for the secound time for posession...The lady who was helping me I guess saw me like her daughter since me and her daughter are the same age,..Im 22..So she told me that this clinic im going to now specializes in heroin addicts..Its in a old hospital which has been studying heroin addiction for more then 40 yrs..So she sed that she thinks i might do well there..And I have..But I have to say one thing about what you sed just now..
Don't think because she is only thinking about staying well and using the drug that this means she isnt gonna get well or doesnt want too..When I got to the program Im in now..All i wanted it for was so i wouldnt be so desperate to use..I wanted to be able to have off days..And when your sick you cant not do it one day...But a week after I was in there i got sick with endocarditis which is a infection in your heart from shooting dope..Anyways i believe it was the near death experience and how good the counselors and workers are in my program that got me to see things in different light but even then it took me about 7 months to get completely clean off of using..i didnt become a junkie in one day and you dont get clean that fast either..Never lose hope..Addicts have a tendancy as doing a complete 360*..If you need any more questions answered or someone to lisiten to you..You can PM me anytime..I wish you the best..Jackie
Old 11-05-2003, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

My wife was a patient at a methadone clinic for 3 years. If the clinics are ran correctly I guess they could do some good, unoftunately, the one that my wife went to was not. Anytime she talked to a counselor about a problem the answer was always the same...you need to up your doasge. She started the program taking 30mg a day and by the time she stopped going she was up to 130mg a day.

She went to an inpatient rehab facility and was told that methadone is worse to detox from than heroine. If there is any way you can talk her into something else...do it. Methadone may work well for someone that really wants to change their lifebut most people arent that strong.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I believe people who can get off of heroin with just rehab are strong...But you are right and methadone isnt right for anyone..but the addict must choose for themselves...Only them can know what is best for them..because in the end it is them who has to keep themselves clean..My mother tried a zillion times to get me clean she gave me ultimatums..she pleaded with me..Everything but she couldnt jump in my head she couldnt deal with the insecurities and the pain that caused me to run and get high..She was extremely against me going on methadone she felt that methadone is for people who are old and have been on heroin there whole lives and cant get off of it so they just go on methadone for the rest of there lives..But methadone is changing theres is still many programs that are still about the money and dont give a damn what happens to you...and they dont even want you to get better...They hope for you to stay on methadone forever so they can get more money,..But just like with welfare..they are reforming methadone clinics..They dont just give you the meth and u go on your way...Now they are made to teach and show how you can get back into the real world..and how you can deal with everything..And the methadone is just a temporary crutch to help you through the hard times and once you are good you go on your way and hopefully you keep everything they teach to you close so you wont end up back there...Theres help out there you just need to want it...or learn to want it..I dont consider myself special or even strong..sometimes i dont know how the hell i got here..But I am and are greatful...but theres always the fear of falling back so i always keep in mind im only a step away from falling..So i always keep myself in check..I believe for anyone who find themselves out of there active addiction deserves the best...We are all strong in our own right..It doesnt matter how we got there..as long as we are clean and healthy..thats all that matters..I wish your neice the best and i think thats all that matters not if she is on methadone or not..Diabetics need insulin and some addicts need methadone to help them get to where they need to be...Wish you the best..Jackie
Old 06-11-2004, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
When my son first came home he was a stranger to me, an angry man. After a weekend of hell he detoxed at home because there was no place to turn. I was told in desperate phone calls, sorry, if he was drinking we'd take him but withdrawal from heroin will not kill you, it will only make you wish you were dead.

On monday morning (my son came home on a friday) I took him to a methadone clinic.

I have very mixed feelings about the methadone program. What I do know is this..it gave a break to reestablish the good things. To help him remember, or discover why life is better without drugs. His love of family. How to laugh. It stopped the chaos. My son stayed home for three months, clinic every morning, n/a meeting every night,. 90/90. His dose went up to 80mg. He got a job, they offered to promote him, they wanted him to travel. He came to me and said, I want to get off the methadone, I can 'feel' it in my bones. I can't travel and be in this program. I was supportive. He did rapid detox.

Too fast, he went from 80mg to 5mg in a month. He started to use again, as he said "Just a little to get me though work". Well that lead to a little more, and missing work, and lies, ...downward spin.

From what I understand it's best to drop the dose slowly, over a 4 month period. Add this to the list of things I learned, and he learned..too late.

Bottom line is..being on methadone did help my son see a world without chaos, a world he wanted. Withdrawing from it quickly was HARD and sent him flying back to heroin.

I wish for you the best of luck,

sigh
Old 06-11-2004, 09:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
AvieG..."since the addict has to go to their local pharmacy, where they are given the Methadone, and have to drink it down at the counter, in full view of the staff and other customers!!! I find this very offensive, personally. Surely to God, they can designate a small room for them to drink their meth??"

AgieG
I had to think a bit before I responded to your post.
It's really difficult for me to find the right words.
I'm not sure why you find this offensive, they are people that are trying to do the right thing.
How about offering up a supportive smile? Or saying "oh what a pretty baby you have !" Or finding a new phamacy for you.

sigh

And avie.....IF you were an addict, you have no idea what you might do.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Life!

dkl;
You will find quite a controversy on this subject. So, rather than start it over, or get into another arguement, let me give you this link.
You can determine for yourself.
For my son, it is a lifesaver.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=30438
I wish your niece the best. This is a very difficult road she is traveling. After being on it, and then loosing methadone due to lack of $$$, I don't doubt at all that she relapsed. I am very sorry - for her, and your family.
Good luck.
Shalom!
Old 06-11-2004, 10:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Life!

PS:
You said:
"My thinking is that if this were my daughter, I'd contact the police or someone and ask for advice about getting her locked up. She has stolen money and is staying in her old apt. after getting evicted. I would do whatever I had to do to get her off the street--whether she wanted the help or not. Is that wrong?"
Well, they won't lock her up because YOU say she stole something. They need EVIDENCE of a crime - thank goodness!
However, it is clear you are a codependent. Please check out the naranon board here on SR and get yourself to a meeting. You cannot control her, and you cannot cure her.
I wish you well.
Shalom!
Old 06-11-2004, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

dkl,

I'm an addict called Laurie. I know on these boards methadone has caused quite a stir. I have been on the methadone program in the past. My advice to your neice would be, RUN AWAY, run as fast as you can. Methadone screwed up my health, and It didn't help me to stop using heroine. Just the opposite, I was able to get high on heroine and not have to worry about being sick the next day because I knew I would get my juice. I went from a low dose, up to a high dose and no matter how high the dose was I could still feel the high from the dope. So, don't let them lie to you and tell you she won't be able to get high anymore if she takes it, she will.

As far a getting clean, recovery (unfortunately) doesn't work for everyone who NEEDS it, but it does work miracles for those who WANT it. I had a heroine habit of 22 bags a day, I kicked cold turkey, was sick as h*** for 3 days, day 4 I went to an NA meeting and I have been clean for 7+ years now. Don't let her bulls*** you. Yes the detox is very painful, you feel like you want to die. Fortunately heroine withdrawl is not fatal. Just feels that way.

You will get alot of opinions on methadone, but experience is what I would listen to. If you've never been on it, then you really don't know what it does.

At one point I also ended up in a mental institution on methadone. Not fun.

Hope you find the answers and help you need.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To Life!

I have no intention of starting the arguement over again. However, ALL experience counts in this area - including those who are doing well on methadone....
"You will get alot of opinions on methadone, but experience is what I would listen to...
At one point I also ended up in a mental institution on methadone. Not fun."

And some, including son, were in institutions - mental and penal - because they were NOT getting what they needed. Until methadone.
One size does NOT fit all....
Laurie, I understand you had a negative experience with it. I am sorry. And at the very same time, I am so very happy for you that you are clean and living a life of recovery. Kudos and G*D speed to you.
But, others are being helped with methadone. You have heard it from the horses mouth.
It is progress, not perfection, remember?
And WHAT progress has been made in 2 months! He just got his 2nd job! Working 2 jobs from living on the street and stealing and so much more and prison. That IS progress. Getting used to living to a life without the garbage. Makes a big difference to him, and to me.
And I am soooo very grateful.
Shalom!
Old 06-11-2004, 08:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Teach,

We've had this argument and I am not going back there. This thread is not JUST about you and your son and I have just as much right to post my experience as you have to post your opinion of your sons experience. It is not your experience, you are not the one taking the methadone.

dkl can make a more informed decision if she hears all sides, not just yours.

Now let's not hijack this thread. I don't want to leave a bad taste in anyones mouth.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paused

I just wanted to share with you what happen to me when I was on methadone. I went to a clinic and I was very sick with withdraws. I felt like I was going to die so theiy put me on the methadone and it did take the withdraws away but it did not stop me from using. I got on my knees a few months ago because I was coming off methadone. From what I have learned is that you have to be on it for years before you start to decress your dose. I am now on a drug called suboxone. It is very helpfull and I am all most off it about 2 more weeks and I should be free of this. That has helped me in my recovery. And I am very gratefull for the meds. that I am on now. They have saved my life. Alot of people do not agree but I had to do what was right for me. Everyone is different. I tried many times to stop on my own and it never worked for me. Maybe your sister can look into this for your niece. It might help her like it helped me. I will pray for your family. God Bless!
Old 06-12-2004, 02:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
To Life!

Namommie;
Agreed. That's why I posted the thread. So she could see every side to the arguement. No one said you shouldn't or couldn't post.
Jody;
Congratulations and good luck. My son was on suboxone. It didn't help him, unfortunately. One can stop taking it and get high the same day. So if you are not 100% serious about recovery, then, it isn't very good. Again, kudos for your good work in recovery and I'm wishing you all the best.
dkl;
As you can see, there is a range of recovery options and opinions. Whatever works for you neice is what works for her. I wish her G*Dspeed in her recovery, and my prayers are with you both.
Shalom!
Old 06-22-2004, 07:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JUSTINE

Hope You See This

Hi There,
I Have Just Seen This Post And Hope You Read This!!!!
I Have Been A Herion Addict Whilst On Methadone Programme For About 10yrs.in Australia Our Government Funds Our Methadone Programmes With All The Counsilling And Help We Can Want For Free!! We Are Very Lucky Here As I Know It To Be Different In Usa.
I Have Just Come Of My Methadone And What A Long Slow Process But I Went On It 8yrs Ago When I Couldnt See Any Other Way To Get Better.everyone I Knew At That Stage Were Way Older Than Me And Most Had Been On Methadone For 10-30yrs As Here There Is No Pressure What So Ever To Come Of The Programme.they All Told Me Not To Do It As I Was Looking At The Rest Of My Life On It If I Started But I Decided It Was The Best Thing For Me At The Time.my Husband Had Gone To Jail And I Had Been A Prostitute For About 1yr And Wanted Desperatly To Get Out Of The Life I Was Stuck In.anyway I Know There Are Really Bad Reports On Methadone And Most People Will Tell You To Steer Clear Of It But Through My Experience It Was The Best Thing I Ever Did. When I Was Serious About Giving Up Heroin My Methadone Programme Worked!! All The People I Found That Bag It Out Are The Ones(like Me For The Most Part) Who Are Using Methadone As A Crutch For Herion Addiction.
If The Programme Is Followed Properly It Is A Life Saver.when I Gave Up Using Herion My Methadone Made The Transition As Easy As Possible.then After I Felt Strong Enough About My Heroin Recovery I Started To Reduce My Dose Slowly And Am Now Over 2mths Clean Of All Od It.
Methadone Is Way More Addictive And It Is A Slow Withdrawal But If Done Under Medical Supervision Is Managable.also The Biggest Down Side Is The Health Side Effects Like Rotten Teeth And Brittle Bones Also That It Has To Be Taken Everyday But The Benifits Outweigh These Things.
So I Hope You Can Get Your Neice On Methadone Cause It Works But Like Anything Else You Have To Want To Make It Work.as You Know There Is No Miracle Cure For Addiction And No Programme That Will Do It All For You But This Has Been The Easiest Answer For Me.naltrexone And Subutex Are Worse As They Make People Depressed I Had A Friend Who Commited Suicide As A Result From Naltrexone Side Effects.
If I Can Help You Or Answer Any Questions You Might Have Please Feel Free To Send Private Message As I Would Love To Help.