Notices

Methadone good treatment for heroin addiction?

Old 06-22-2004, 09:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
JUSTINE

P.S
GOOD LUCK TO YOUR NEICE AND YOUR FAMILY & AFTER ALL THE ADVICE AND INFO IN THE END REMEMBER IT IS HER THAT NEEDS TO DECIDE IF SHE IS READY TO FIGHT THIS BUT I RECKON EVEN IF SHE GOES ON METHADONE AND KEEPS USING AT LEAST THE DESPERATION OF THE ADDICTION IS GONE AND EVENTUALLY SHE WILL HAVE TIME TO THINK "NORMALLY" AND MAKE THIS DESISION.AT LEAST IT GIVES HER A CHANCE TO MAKE A EDUCATED CHOICE!!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
To Life!

Justine;
Thank you for sharing. My son shared his experience on the link posted above too - so it is NOT my opinion of his experience. As I stated, it is from the horses mouth!
His experience as well as yours is experience that counts as much as those who had a negative one.
Bottom line, as I have repeatedly stated, one size does NOT fit all. Do whatever it is that works for you.
Shalom!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
JUSTINE

Teacher,
Mate I Think You Have The Experience As Well As Your Son.addiction Affects All Around The Addict And Though You May Not Feel The Addiction You Sure As Hell Have Gone Every Step Of The Way!!!
Our Families In Some Regards Go Through This Addiction More Than Us Addicts As We Are Not Coherent Most Of The Time And In The Throes Of This Disease We Lack Emotion And Feeling While Our Loved Ones Carry The Burden For Us.i Believe You Have As Much Right To Voice Your Opinions And Experiences As We Do Cause You See The Whole Situation And We Only See Ourselves As I Am Sure Any Addict Will Agree!!!
God Knows My Mum Has Her Right To Speak On This Subject Because She (and You) Have At Least Earnt That Much.
You Speak Your Mind And Dont Let Anyone Take That Right From You Sweet!!!
And You Are Right There Are Two Sides To Every Story And My Side To My Story Is That This Long Time Argument About Methadone Is That It Saved My Life And Let Me Think Rationally And Stopped My Life From Revolving Around Drugs.everything Was Second And Methadone Allowed Me To Function Normally.desparation Is Not A Pretty Sight!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 12:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
Smile

Justine,
Way to go!

My son was on methadone and came off it too quickly (all in one month) and went back to heroin. He was doing well when he was on it, started working and everything. I wish we had had more information at that time.

You give me hope for my son, perhaps he can get off heroin also, he's currently in a rehab program and not on methadone.

You should be very very proud of yourself..way to go Justine, way to go!

sigh

Old 06-22-2004, 12:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
JUSTINE

Thanx Sigh Cause We Can Never Hear That Enough!!!!! I Hope Also That Your Son Makes It As I Know Only To Well The Price You Pay For Heroin!! But It Is Beatable And All The Parents That Come Here To Sr Restore My Faith That There Is Hope.you Cant Deny Unconditional Love That Only Parents Can Give Forever (thats What I Try To Beleive Anyway).if You Need Any Info About Methadone Or Detox Please Feel Free To Message Me Only To Glad To Help If I Can.
Love And Prayers To You And Your Son.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thank you Justine. Your words are very kind. Bottom line, dkl wants her niece to get clean. It is important she have all of the information and options available to present the information. After that presentation, it is totally up to the niece.
I wish them both well.
Shalom!
Old 06-26-2004, 04:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think this subject will never rest...And with recovery i believe there is no rite and wrong way...Everyone wants this ultimate answer....But like with many things in life there isnt one..We are all different..No human being is exactly alike thank god..And with addiction its the same....We may do the same type of things to get our DOC..We may feel the same pain of the withdrawal from heroin...And our loved ones the same helpless frustration...But when it comes to stoping we all go different routes..Because each of us use heroin for different reasons...And some are in different stages of our addiction...Yes addiction progresses..Im reading this great book called "The Fix" by Michael Massing..And goes through drug treatment history from the 60's onto the 1990's..It specifically looks into the methadone controversy...
Methadone is not the answer for all heroin addicts...But for some its a life saver..For me it has been the latter....Im 23...And been using heroin since i was 16...I fell very quickly into that lifestyle..From the moment i tried heroin i felt i found my calling for life,,I know pretty sick...But i was so full of self hatred and pain...That heroin soothed it all..Most opiate addicts suffer from some emotional or physical trauma...And im not saying it has to be some dramtic like rape or dysfunctonal upbringing...Some people are more sensitive then others...And if they felt like they didnt get enough attention...If kids bullied them through school..Maybe there parents divorced as children...and used them as rope and played tug-of-war with them...WHatever the case they have this need for comfort..and if the rite circumstance comes along and they find themselves trying a bump of dope...They can easily become an addict..I was a typical opiate addict...Low-self esteem..had access to numerous drugs...it was just in the cards i guess for me...Anyways...Once my family found ot i was using heroin..Whch was such a shock to them...They sent me to detox..Here in NYC theres many to choose from...and you can easily get on an emergency medicade which will pay your stay at the detox usually 7 days...They give you a choice to go to rehab..Of course because i wasnt ready that first time i opt not to go to rehab..My mom was naive to addiction so she thought since the drugs were out of my system i be ok...She quickly began to see i wasnt...But long story short..I ended up going to 5 rehabs..One of which was a t.c. program....I only lasted 2 weeks in the t.c...I couldnt deal with kids ages 13 and 14...yelling at me to scrub the floor..While i was 19 at the time...because i was under 21 they considered me an adolensent..Which meant i wasnt allowed to smoke either..Between the yelling and kicking cold..Because they dont believe in giving you anything to help you through your detox..I just couldnt take it...Now with the rehabs..I would do well while i was there..But in my mind i was already planning on how i was gonna get dope when i got out..For me when i would kick dope and be totally sober...I be very antsy...I couldnt sit still..I was also very jumpy..Where if you walked to close to me id jump up in fear...I couldnt sleep...And so on..So the weeks or few months in the program..I be so out of it, i wouldnt lisiten to the counselors or in the group sessions..To the valueable lessons they were teaching on about how to survive once you leave the program so once i left i would go rite back to using...But since i been on this methadone program..2 1/2 yrs...I have made alot of accomplishments..Ive changed soooo much..and im very proud of myself..I know i would of been able to do it without the help of methadone..And not only the methadone..But also the counselors and the groups we have at my clinic..Methadone by itself will not get someone clean...Methadone only will help with withdrawal symptoms and will block the high of heroin or opiates if you try and use...You have to deal with the mental side of the disease also..If you dont you wont grow or learn..And will only keep on going in circles..
Im not selling methadone here..Nor am i selling the option to go to rehabs...Like i sed in the begininng theres no right or wrong in addiction treatment....The addict just like they have to choose to want to stop..Well they must find out what works best for them so they will have the most successful recovery...And not end up having to repeat the same senario in a few months...Im at the point where im taking action...Because of my mistakes it aint easy to find people to take a chance on me....But im hoping soon i will be employed so i can have the money to get my own place so i wont have to be living under my moms roof no more...Even though she really dont mind me being here..I still do..Im independant person..And i cant stand when im having to be depending on others...Im also on my way off the program...My counselor wants me in my own place and then he will taper me...Because my fathers an alcoholic and is abusive verbally sometimes physically..He and i feel its best to wait and taper when im out of the house..Im hoping by this winter ill be out..the soonest maybe this august...
im evidence that methadone works for some...The addict must make the choice where they belong...If not they will forever be going around in circles..Jackie