Old 11-02-2003, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
wishIsedNO

well I been on methadone for almost 2 years now...I was addicted to heroin for 6 yrs...And before i went on the program I was extremely against going on a methadone program..I remember when one of my running buddies told me he was going on it I was like WHY??its just like being on heroin but its legal...But after i been in 5 rehabs and more then 25detox's..I was so tired and i just wanted a way to get off of heroin..And even when i would go into rehabs I would be fine inside cause I had to be...I had counselors and people all around me..But the problem was going through withdrawal and i when i would i was very anxious and couldnt pay attention to the things I needed to keep me clean when i left there...I needed something to help me when i was home and faced with temptation..And for me who had medicade and no family help methadone was the only way to go...
So I finally chose a year after that friend of mine told me he was going on it..To try methadone..I was tired and all i remember saying is im only gonna be on for 6 months...Just as long to get me over that hump...But now 2 yrs later of course i see things totally different...Methadone is good for some people..I think the reason it worked for me is because finally i was doing it for me...and i needed something that could calm me but not as much as getting high..And with that i was really able to work with my counselor and in groups and deal with the problems i had too...And it also depends on the program you chose..I really believe that the ones where you only drink the methadone isnt as good as the ones like mine which arent a maintence program..They are geared to balance you on the meth but also they have programs to get you into working and getting your life back up without methadone..And it has helped me alot..I am now being brought down 5 mg a month..I know that sounds very lil..But for me its the way i wanna go because methadone is a man-made opiate..And if you come off fast you will get sick..And its not that is worse then a heroin withdrawal Its that its longer..A heroin withdrawal will last the worst part 3-5 days..and you would feel some aches and stuff for maybe 2 weeks..
But with methadone if you dont do it right and you go to quick you will suffer with a withdrawal..kinda bad for a month..you wont feel near normal for like 3 months..And thats why im going slow but not too slow..im on 60mg and by this spring i should be close to zero...and the good thing about my program is 6 months after my last dose of methadone i still can go to the groups and see my counselor...
I believe it depends on the person and where they happen to chose to go...I first went in a program when i was living in jersey and there they only have private clinics where you have to pay..at that time i didnt have medicade so i had to pay 60 dollars a week..and that was just to get my methadone everyday..and thats all they cared about every monday they would be like you have our payment..if you didnt you had 3 days to pay some of it..if not they begin to detox you..They didnt check urine except when you first got on to see how much opiates you had in your system..They didnt care what you did after you left the program..And i feel methadone alone doesnt help you stay off..
Even though methadone once you find your blocking dose..Mines 70mg..where if u did use heroin you cant feel it..It helps..but if you truely have things you dont wanna deal with or you still arent completely strong enough to keep away from using...lets say if you still keep in contact with people and places...You will just fall back and probably get either kicked off the program or quit..Thats what happened to me at my first program..I really felt it was legal dope because i had to shell out 60 bucks a week and they didnt help me at all except with giving me meth.,..But 6 months after i was on that one i hit a bottom and went home to my moms..there i was arrested with posession and this cop told me about my program im on now..and even though it was a bad situition it saved me...well i hope i have helped u and not confused you..If you have any questions..feel free to pm me..I wish you the best..Jackie