Old 11-02-2003, 03:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AvieG
Paused

I don't know anthing much about drug treatment, really, but I do know that over here in UK Methadone IS used mostly. Not sure how well it works, but for ME, I am not sure I would want to go down this path, since the addict has to go to their local pharmacy, where they are given the Methadone, and have to drink it down at the counter, in full view of the staff and other customers!!!

I find this very offensive, personally. Surely to God, they can designate a small room for them to drink their meth??

I was in my local phrmacy the other day, waiting for my meds, and chatting to an elderly couple, when a young girl came in with a baby in a buggy, she was given the methadone, and the elderly lady said (In a not-too-discreet voice!!!) "Oh, look at that, the poor kid, having a drug addict for a mother!! - tha'ts that methadone stuff she's drinking you know"

EVERYONE knows what thse addicts are doing there, and I am sure this girl MUST have heard the woman, and I just wanted to crawl under my chair!!!

Now if I WAS an addict, and wanted help, I would want something a tad more DISCREET than this!!! Maybe this is not the way you do it in other countries, but I think addicts are being treated like second-class citizens by doing this????