Notices

Class of September 2010

Old 09-17-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was with the same kind of person many times too DJ...I had to look at that, for sure.
I hope venting helped

D

Last edited by Dee74; 09-17-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: ti po
Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I was prepared for work issues, relationship issues with my loving wife, almost anything, but that dream, the likes of which I have _never_ had before just killed me :-( But... It's over and done with. I had my little mind numbing encounter with alcohol to make it less painfull, All alcohol is OUT of the house and I am back on the road I committed myself to. It was just something I was _totally_ unprepared for. I was ready for anything bad, I was _not_ prepared for very vivid dreams that showed me things I truly wanted to see... Things SO positive.... Thank you Dee for your helpful comments, I have _not_ given up, I view this as a lapse due to really unexpected circumstances and plan to continue my road to life long sobriety. This happened for the first time, so I will be prepared for the second time. Tomorrow is a new day!
Thank you all,
..Mike
Old 09-17-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
DJ1

Thank you Dee & Soph

Venting did help+ the scream in the back yard

Main thing first is to stay ont he sober path not let another person affect my sobriety then to deal with the real issues ! last time I started drinking again I can now remeber what set me off!! it is not going to happen this time

thanks Ill keep reading all the posts it is such a help when you feel you are all alone thank you to all SR peeps
Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I think the difference here is that i'll really be getting to the root of a lot of things about me instead of sitting in AA and listening to everyone else.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say hello and yay to Day 13! Yesterday was tough, but today was much better.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm proud to join the September family. Day 4 for me... almost day 5 considering the time. I've been to 4 meetings in 4 days and they have definitely helped. It's so much easier to be going thru this with people who can relate. I am a 44 year old high-functioning professional and a horrible, mean, nasty drunk. I look good during the day (or at least I thought I did) then come home at night and isolate myself in the basement with my best friend - alcohol. It's amazing how much better I feel today and it's only day 4. Driving to my meeting tonight I wasn't in a fog for the first time on a Friday night since I don't even know when. I saw people out jogging, playing with their kids, having a nice dinner sitting outside a restaurant enjoying the beautiful weather, etc. I forgot what that was like because I would come home from work (rather 'race' home) and go straight to the fridge drinking as much as I could as quick as I could until I was too drunk to talk or walk. Then, it was time to go to bed - whether it was 6, 7, 8, or 9 o'clock. Being sober feels so much better - I don't ever want to go back to those dark, miserable days.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Same goes here Living...I have been enjoying being less foggy and definitely loving being sober this wonderful Friday night. Now instead of sitting and watching people go by and wondering if they are feeling as sh'tty as I am, I am doing things that make me happy...sober...and happy!

D.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Hi Class, any room for me at the back?

It's Day 3, the sun's shining and I'm feeling quite positive this morning ...
Old 09-18-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the gang Forwards

D
Old 09-18-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Morning peeps! Hypnotherapy was really good. I felt really comfortable with this lady, and felt really relaxed and calm after leaving. Thank dog for company benefits, therapy is pretty spendy. I am going to try it a few times, maybe after I can buy some hypno tapes on itunes and listen to them.

Off to yoga. The therapist talked about places that make me feel good, and yoga is one of them.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Well, considering today is day ten without any booze, I'd like to join this class too.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Starting day 15...2 weeks sobriety under my belt...and carrying on. Feeling very positive today and off to another meeting at lunch time.

D.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
joining late, but Day 21 here...

IMT
Old 09-18-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard FS and IMT

D
Old 09-18-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Day 1 - 42 years old and this is the first time I'm going to give it more than a half hearted effort to quit. I drink to get drunk, no other reason - and I practically chain smoke when I drink.

I get drunk - feel like crap the next day and load up on carbs because it's the only thing that can stabilize me - won't smoke because my throat is sore and I had so much nicotine the night before that my body can't even handle it.

Day two I am still not back at 100% ... still not smoking and will get in an hour of exercise and eat pretty well.

Day three I'm feeling great - I'll get in a 5 mile run. Will have maybe 2-3 cigarettes the whole day. Energy level is awesome. Gotta lose those pounds from the carbs so will eat very healthy and not alot ... 7pm I'm craving alcohol and will stop and get at least two bottles of wine on the way home. And a pack of cigarettes of course. Body is feeling better ... might as well destroy all that energy!

This 3 day cycle has been going on forever. Ok, maybe it goes to 4 days once in a while before I hit the bottle again.

Two weeks ago I came to the realization that red wine was just tearing up my stomach too badly ... so what's the logical solution? Let's try vodka!! Woo Hoo!! I bought a bottle of vodka last week and it was gone in 5 days. My husband is out of town for the weekend so I decided to kick back last night. I bought another bottle of vodka and was going to have 'a drink or two' ... I finished my last drink at 6am this morning .... along with the last drop of alcohol in the bottle that I just bought last night. Yes, most people get sleepy and pass out when they drink too much. Not me - the stuff is like speed to me. I kept staring at the clock and I was in denial that it was 5:30 in the morning. How could it be, it's still dark? I went right from alcohol to coffee. I had to be at work at 11 for Pete's sake - TG I'm the boss. And get this one - I actually got on the treadmill and said to myself "Well, I need to get in at least a couple of miles to help with all those calories I took in." Geez Louise ... with all the cigarettes I smoked last night I could barely do 15 minute miles.

It's 6:30 at night now ... 12 hours later ... and I am finally starting to feel human. I have had 8 32oz containers of water today trying to flush all the badness out of my system. I swear my liver is crying out right now - it hurts!

I've made a sign to put on the fridge encouraging me not to drink & smoke. My husband struggles with drinking too much too and is completely empathetic but we've been enabling each other for the 7 years we've been together. I know he wants to stop drinking too. He comes home on Monday. I will not tell him about this vodka episode because I don't want to see the look of horror on his face.

So at 6am tomorrow I will have completed day one - no drinking, no smoking. Is anyone else trying to quit smoking too?
Old 09-18-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome EmbraceChange

I know you'll find a lot of support here, in the forum and in this thread.

I encourage everyone to see their Dr when they quit - detox can sometimes be rough.

I quit smoking when I quit drinking as the two were entwined for me but the majority of folks find that difficult...someone explained it to me as it's like two sets of cravings and withdrawal.

Are you thinking of other support besides SR?
D
Old 09-18-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Embrace, I tried to quit smoking and drinking on the same day. I went 3 days without a smoke and decided that if I didn't have a smoke I was going to go crazy...though I wouldn't...so I have been smoking. I am giving it until my recovery is stronger and I get my AA steps underway and then I will give the smoking cessation another go. BUT...for right now I am concerend more with not picking up a drink than a ciggy butt...so I am going a bit easy on myself. Should you try to quit smoking at the same time I would seriously consider using a smoking cessation aid such as the patch or the inhaler to lessen the withdrawals from that until you are stronger.

As for your husband, if he needs help and you need help you may just be a team and get out there and work this together. My husband was a major enabler but he can turn it on and off whenever he chooses...lucky b'stard...lol.

By the sounds of it, you drink much like MANY here do and you could use some help...SR is a wonderful start.

Way to reach out...that was a great choice.

Donna
Old 09-18-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Hi D My husband went to SMART Recovery and liked it. There's a meeting near where I live on Tuesday.

I smoke 5 cigarettes on a day I'm feeling good - but can easily polish off a whole pack when drinking so the two are definitely intertwined. Well, I haven't had either a drink or a cigarette today so it's a start.

Thanks for the welcome -d
Old 09-18-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

I have heard a lot of good about SMART too...it is a step that you could take and certainly in the right direction.

We are all in this "class" together and if you need anything you know where to come!

D.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Hi Mama

Thanks for the response. I won't know how bad the alcohol/ciggy cravings will be until Monday - I know that's when it's going to start. With as much as I smoked and drank last night they could possibly not even hit till Tuesday.

I'll definitely talk to the hubby when he comes home. Oh geez, we've been enabling each other so badly and we both know it ... so yes, it would be best if we went to the meetings together and walked this line together. We've just tried it together so many other times before so we definitely need a meeting to keep us honest otherwise it won't be too long before we're driving home from work and he goes "Trader Joe's?" Code word for "want wine?"

Awesome that you have a few weeks under your belt. That rocks!!

Much love to everyone -d