Notices

Class of September 2010

Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

hope everybody is doing well!
im in a good mood today.went to a meeting earlier and its getting easier to sit there.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to see everyone powering on

D
Old 09-17-2010, 01:21 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Struggling - Glad to be here

Morning (for some - from London). I am still struggling to get my day one. I really hope today can be the day. I feel positive throughout the day when I am at work and then get home. I know what withdrawals are like and I start to feel scared I will not cope, start to imagine the sleepness night and anxiety that is certain to follow, and end up pouring myself a drink.
The bizarre thing is I cannot possibly feel anymore rubbish withdrawing then i do managing these positively awful hangovers.
Everyone here seems to be doing great. Any tips on how to manage this first day would be greatly appreciated and I am willing to try pretty much anything. The thing is, I am desparate. I have a 7 year old son who I love with all my heart and I want to do this for both of us.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back almay

I encourage you to get as much support as you can - not just here but face to face too - doctors, AA or some other group, counsellors - whatever it takes.

It's a hard road for all of us - you may as well call in as many reinforcements as you can

D
Old 09-17-2010, 03:25 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Day 16 here and feeling great! Took a break from Net Flix, Ben and Jerry's and 7UP to check in with y'all. Like D said, Almay, call in the reinforcements. Doc can give you several different meds that will totally help the withdrawl. Nothing to be afraid of. But it can be dangerous detoxing alone, have medical supervision. You can do it!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey Almay, I have an 8 year old son too and he has been a strength in my resolve. You have to get support and help, you know that. The sober days get much better even through the harder days. Please hang in there, you will hear stories and such of women who did not get sober until much later in their children's lives and you will be much further ahead to do this now. Please do this now, for the sake of your sanity and the sake of your family.

D.

Originally Posted by almay777 View Post
Morning (for some - from London). I am still struggling to get my day one. I really hope today can be the day. I feel positive throughout the day when I am at work and then get home. I know what withdrawals are like and I start to feel scared I will not cope, start to imagine the sleepness night and anxiety that is certain to follow, and end up pouring myself a drink.
The bizarre thing is I cannot possibly feel anymore rubbish withdrawing then i do managing these positively awful hangovers.
Everyone here seems to be doing great. Any tips on how to manage this first day would be greatly appreciated and I am willing to try pretty much anything. The thing is, I am desparate. I have a 7 year old son who I love with all my heart and I want to do this for both of us.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:15 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Day 1. I'm looking for a new plan. Any plan. The good thing is is that my secrecy is over, my dh caught me drinking, it's amazing how relieved I am not to pretend i'm great and haven't drank in months.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
DJ1

Morning all
mama hope you are feelig better today

Day 1 congrats it feels imposible the first day but it gets better just take it a day at a time & I agree with everyone get help as much as you can AA doc other groups help what ever you are comfortable with My first go around I did sober for many months on my own with no help except the boards on sr,
I then became OH I cna do just one dring well you guesed it everal months later many black outs & dark days I am back 7 days sober but this time it feels different I have saought out the help that I so desperatley need its not something you can do on your own I was so full of guilt & shame the first time around I would not go to AA this time I have been to my first AA I am off to another one closer to my home tomorrow
SO please get as much support as you can it will make the change much easier
keep reding the boards it is a big help,
Old 09-17-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!! Working on day 17 - not wanting to throw anything down the tubes or start over. I'm sitting here at the office thinking how nice y'all are and I'm feeling kinda warm and fuzzy inside! LOL

Hi raindance - welcome to SR! Plenty of support here, but I like most will encourage you to find meetings, groups, face to face help, anything you can think of to support the new road you are on. It's bumpy at first but I promise it's worth it.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hey raindance...I agree with the advice given, get some help other than SR. It is great here but you do need something personal to get your footing on your journey. I didn't think AA was for me but I find it very helpful and it makes a long day a little less long. There are lots of different groups besides AA and you have your doctor and there is counselling avail as well. Get as much help as you can and surround yourself with a good support group, such as you are doing here on SR.

Keep your chin up...we are all here with you.

D.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Btw DJ - I am feeling much better this a.m. Thanks!

D.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,
Day 9 for me! I'm planning my day by the minute. My family is opening their resteraunt tonight for a soft opening before the grand opening on October 1st. This is a test run for the kitchen, etc. My husband and I are going to go. I already have my plan in place. We are going late, leaving early. I am going to have a decent size lunch today - as eating healthy and keeping my stomach satisfied has been a great sober tool for me. I used to not eat all day to be able to drink right after work. I felt that I could get a better buzz faster with an empty stomach. By the way, I never stopped a buzz, I drank to get drunk, then blackout, and passout. Anyway, I am planning a vegetable stir fry for lunch, hot teas, and lot's of water. I get out of work at 5pm, will come home and take the dog for a hour walk. Then go to the resteraunt, eat, and drink diet coke w/ lemom & big waters. Then off to the movies. No room for booze, no time for booze, no want for booze at this moment. I CAN NOT let myself go to this event not properly prepared. It would be too easy to get a drink - my alcoholic mind can find anyway to justify drinking. So, my plan is in action, in words, on SR, and very doable.
I do not want to drink, I will not drink, I will wake up tomorrow just as happy as I am right now. Happy day to everyone, be safe, and enjoy being sober today.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Raindance! I feel so grateful that I found this place two weeks ago, these folks are such an inspiration to my young sobriety. There is no one set way to get sober, I think Mama summed it up pretty well. Your doctor can get you some meds if the withdrawl is severe, you should talk with him anyways. AA or some other program is a must, or hang around here a lot like I do. We won't beat you up.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I've been to AA, it was good, but really not for me in the end.

I have an appointment with an addictions counsellor at 7 pm tonight, she is a hypnotherapist.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome everyone I am on day four.

Last night was a bit rough. My friends called and asked if I wanted to play on their pub trivia team. I had to say no, I just know if I said yes I would drink at the bar. I really love trivia night but I don't think I can handle it at the moment. Then when I tried to come on here and chat or something the site was down! But instead of going out I put my pajamas on and read a book.

However I did get the BEST sleep I've gotten in years it feels like. I slept for 10 hours straight - no sleeping aids needed! I feel great this morning.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
DJ1

Sorry I just need to vent about this time I would down a bottle of wine my husband is an A hole jsut needed to say that better than taking a drink !!

Why is it people can be so insensertive & just down right A holes & I married the biggest one of them all, no support from him on anything so I decided to comeon her & vent sorry to do that but feel a lot better & Im havign a nice hot cup of tea thinking what is it about me I have been married 3 times & I can honestly say I have married the same man 3 times well not the same but the same personality & trates I need to start to take a deep look at me to figure this S*** out & quick before I'm too dam old to care

Again sorry for venting
Old 09-17-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

DJ1 we all need to vent. And at least you're noticing a pattern about the men you get involved with! With sobriety I think we all have to face certain things we have been conveniently placing aside (denial.)

One day at a time works really well. So just for today I hope you can stay strong and not drink and that is so great in and of itself!

The rest will sort out as each sober day unfolds and you continue to get better.

Hugs

Soph
Old 09-17-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Scratch me from the September class :-( I had a dream two nights ago I posted about it here. It was the opposite of a nightmare. In it, I dreamed things were _SO_ good, and when I woke up, I KNEW they were all true. Half an hour later, I knew it was all a lie and it was just a dream. I hung tough the first day despite the bone crushing depression and disappointment, truly one of the most difficult days of my life. Day 2, I could not take it.... But, as they say, a slip need not be a fall out of a fifth story window. I lapsed, I know why. The house is alcohol free (again), and I am at it yet again. Why? Why? Why? It's like I finally stand up on my own and the universe just finds a way to pound me back down... Groan...
...Mike
Old 09-17-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

Raindance - I hope that now it's out in the open, that will help - I expended a lot of energy in trying to keep things secret - it was a lot better to use that energy to stay sober.

I hope the counsellor helps - I wouldn't entirely discount retrying things you've tried before though - I doubt you're exactly the same person now.

Welcome back
D
Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

Burning Chrome

I'm really sorry the dream upset you so much.

It's probably not the same but I remember daydreaming of what my life could be - then coming back to the reality hurt me so much I drank more.

I got out of the cycle, but I had to stop drinking first....then I worked hard and made that daydream real

Septembers not over yet - stay in the class

D