Notices

June 2010 Sobriety Group

Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

It's a good day when I can eat a salad. I am such a garbage dump when I have a hangover, I always get a 1L diet coke and a fried egg biscuit. Can't eat healthy things, they'll just turn to acid in my stomach.

I just ate my turkey bacon and spinach salad with mango vinagrette for lunch and it was wonderful.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

A good, healthy meal can really lighten up a day, Raindance Glad you're with us here in the June group. My sober date is only June 1st so we are pretty early on, those simple pleasures are quite a nice alternative, don't you think?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
KC1

Sounds like everyone is doing well - that's awesome! Today wasn't so bad - thought about "Hump Day Happy Hour" but that was all it was - a thought. Didn't have any craving tonight.

My husband is still "on the wagon" after his drinking experience from last Thursday night. For you newbies out there, my husband is a social drinker and one of his best friends died suddenly. After the funeral lunch, he and his buddies got trashed beyond belief and for the first time since I have known him (over 20+ years), he got sick from drinking. Had a hangover that lasted all day Friday. He hasn't had a drop since. Being a social drinker, he has not been having the cravings, etc. that I had, but it is still nice to have him not drink around me. It will be interesting to see how long his stint on the wagon lasts from one bad night.

I have a very busy work schedule coming up so hopefully it will help the cravings. I know they will return.

KC
Old 06-09-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
RGO

Hello all.... Hi traderjane!

Nice group! ...just stopping by to say 'hey' and good luck everyone!

-RGO
Old 06-09-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

count me in
Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi RGO!

Welcome Indakut!!!

I had an easy time with it today, too, KC. What on Earth is up with that? No cravings whatsoever. It would be nice if they just fizzled out for good, but I know better than that. They'll be back. But with any luck at all, I'll get better at ignoring them with practice.

I'm feeling pretty good -- went to my yoga class tonight which always helps me so much. Probably shouldn't have had the diet pepsi when I came home -- was a little wired. Time to drift off...
Old 06-09-2010, 11:51 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Jumping in, today is day one again. Going to my first AA meeting tonite.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi there Ozgirl! Welcome to the group!

Raindance, I'm with you on the eating healthy stuff. When I drank, I used to wait until the hangover went away then go to somewhere like McDonald's for a cheeseburger and fries. Can you imagine having a salad to nurse a hangover? Gross.

Last night in bed I was really hungry but did not get up to eat as it was very late. I want to make sure I don't gain weight after stopping drinking. Ironically, I think the drinking kept the weight off because I didn't eat as much.

I'm trying to exercise everyday, too. Monday it was tennis. Tuesday I went for a run. Wednesday it was yoga. Have to figure out something for today ... maybe swim laps.

Have a nice Thursday... hope some more members of the group check in today!!!

Laura
Old 06-10-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I've always tried drinking a big glass of water when i'm really hungry, thirsty, sugar craving, etc.

Or diet coke.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I've been told pomegranate juice with water is good to sip throughout the day for sugar cravings.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

That's a good one. I used to do that when I was sick of drinking water.

I should be over the sugar withdrawal soon. I've listened to Chris Prentiss' tapes before and he has a good analogy that you have to fix the withdrawal from the addictive substance you got hooked to, then you can solve the reasons you started using them. Two different monsters.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Count me in for the June club. Day 1 is today.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Toughest day by far today (Day 6)!!!

The gremlins are trying to make their presence felt by suggesting how good it would be to have a few beers to relax after the stresses and strains of the day!!

Just need to ignore them and get through the next couple of hours!!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hang tough, crystal. I know what you mean about 'just getting through a couple more hours'. I haven't had a day 6 in more than 6 months. You can do it! Blaze a path for me to follow!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Today is Day 7. Yesterday had it's rough places where I was pulling the usual logic that would let me drink. But, I just kept telling myself that I would never regret not drinking the night before, and would only wish I had not. I also held on to staying sober just fot the moment, just for the hour, just for the night. Today I woke up and imagined my busy day hungover - not a pretty thought. I feel physically better now, I look better already, I feel emotionally lighter and happier. At the bank I noticed how many happy, friendly people there were, and realized that I have been looking at the world through a negative lens for some time. Last night I slept like a rock. I could sleep some more if I didn't have to work, though. Not done with the tiredness yet.

Best to you all as you stay sober through the next 24 hours.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement Severian :-)

Well, i got through the evening without a drink though i was sorely tempted I can tell you.

Had a really tough, very emotional and draining day at work, and from mid afternoon on there was this little voice in my head telling me how i had earnt a few beers, and how pleasant it would be to get home, kick back, and down a few chilled ones!

I dont attand AA meetings or have any other form of 'therapy' other than SR, but it was the encouragement and experiences that have been shared on here that were enough for me to prevent me from buying those beers.....so a HUGE thank you to you all for that!!

Of course tomorrow is another day,and no doubt the gremlins will be back, as I honestly cannot remember the last Friday night that I did not drink - we're talking many years!!

To get through tomorrow will be a massive turning point for me, but hey...its only another 24 hrs, just the same as any other 24 hrs

C'mon guys...stay strong...we June Bugs can do this!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me.

Went to my first ever AA meeting last night. Was pretty nervous but forced myself in. I thought it fantastic. Everyone was very welcoming. Listening to other people share their stories was really eye-opening, I can't wait till my next one. Now just mentally preparing myself for a sober long weekend.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
RGO

Cool Hey Ozgirl

Originally Posted by Ozgirl View Post
Day 2 for me.

...Now just mentally preparing myself for a sober long weekend.
Weekends can be hard at the beginning, so try to keep yourself busy. I used to write, during the week, a list of activities I could do outside and inside the house during weekends. Anything to keep my mind from thinking about alcohol. Reading works for me.
Exercise helps too!

Eventually things get better.

Good luck

-RGO
Old 06-10-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I am also a bit nervous of this weekend. I will stay busy, but a day of good labor tends to make me feel entitled to a couple of beers. I think that goes back to my father - not an alcoholic - who would grab a beer after working in the yard all day Saturday, and drink it with great appreciation for having earned it. Sometimes he would even have 2.

I would have 2. And then 12 more. And then 4 for dessert. Almost like I'm an alcoholic.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Catching up on posts... welcome Severian! Great to have you in the group.

Crystal, nice job in riding out those cravings. That sounds very familiar. I had a similar experience on Monday night and it was kind of tough. But I think we get stronger each time we get through an experience like that.

Shalisan, I loved your story about being at the bank and noticing the happy people. Once I started building up sober time (not just this time, but in past attempts) I was amazed at the whole world being chipper and happy in the mornings. It seemed like such a foreign concept to me. On days when I was hungover, all I wanted to do was crawl back in bed and curl up in a fetal position until it was over with. Ah, lovely alcohol.

I really wasn't tempted to drink at all tonight! And I went out. I went to my Bunco group -- a group of women playing this silly dice game. There is always food and drink, always wine (my DOC) and I always used to drink it. Tonight I did not. There were plenty of non-alcoholic drinks, so I had some Italian lemonade and then some decaff coffee. It was fine! Some of the women were drinking Lite beer from cans, which did not tempt me at all. One was having red wine, and that didn't even bother me. She knows me as a wine drinker, so she said to me, "Oh, I just opened this bottle of red." I told her I wasn't drinking because I had to drive, which is true (never stopped me before she could have said, but she graciously did not.) Many others were not drinking alcohol at all, so I did not stand out as odd one out. Maybe slowly but surely I can start to establish myself as a non-drinker in these circles and people will come to expect that of me.

I will be away this weekend... so keep going everyone! I'm going on a yoga retreat and I'm very excited. Organic foods, lots of yoga, hiking, swimming, sunning --- no alcohol. I'm so glad I'm going into this with 10+ days sober (will be 11 tomorrow). It will make the experience all the better.

Later... and have a good weekend everyone!

p.s. Hi RGO!!