Notices

June 2010 Sobriety Group

Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lyddie View Post
Good Morning June Group!

I made it through Day 2 and now it is Day 3.

And at the moment, I am feeling very hopeful. Thanks for all your support.
Way to go Lyddie!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi, i'd like to join your group. This is Day 1 for me, again.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Please count me in too. I had just completed 60 days last week and then had a relapse Friday night after some issues with my boyfriend wore me down. I am counting June 6 as my first sober day.

Shalisan -- I just had to empathize with you bypassing all the liquor stores! It is tough! Here in San Francisco we have liquor stores on just about every corner, ugh. Every one of them tempts me.

I am trying a new AA meeting at lunchtime. Thanks to you all for posting. I am glad to be part of the group.

GG
Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!! I guess I belong here too... today is day 4 for me
Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

hello!!! So glad to have found this June group :-)) count me in as a june member! I am working to get back on track.... my sober date is today - 8 June 2010..... Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

peace!

~ g
Old 06-08-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

A big welcome to Raindance, Twelvesteps, Shelly and Ursus!!! This group is really growing!!!

I'm doing okay. Home from work because I'm having my AC fixed, which is turning out to be an all day job.

Just watched the whole documentary "Rain in My Heart" on YouTube. I was looking for it before, couldn't find it, but did not know it was on YouTube. All I can say is... Wow. See it if you haven't already.

Went for a run this morning which was nice. Hope you are all enjoying this nice Tuesday.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

One of the guys I went on a date with recently just emailed me and asked me out for "dinner and drinks" this coming weekend. Fortunately I am going on a yoga retreat and was able to say "No thanks." Then he writes back, "Would you be interested in dinner/drinks after next weekend?" I'm not. Ughhh.... I have no interest in dating right now and I think it's because I'm trying to get my own personal act together. Aside from the fact that I don't want to "go out for drinks."

Also, I'm a group called a "Wine Club." It's not what you think. It's not like we get together and discuss and drink fine wines. It's just a bunch of women who like each other and want to get together on a Friday night to have some food and wine together. It got termed "wine club" because we all like wine (with the exception of one woman, who prefers beer and pot - LOL!) Well, what am I going to do about this??? I don't want to lose these women as friends. They are not alcoholics. Two of them have husbands who are alkies. I'm thinking of going and just bringing my own bottle of lemonade or something and telling them straight out that I've quit alcohol for health reasons. The last time I went I did drink too much (not falling down drunk, but too much to feel good the next day). I should remind myself of how great it will be if I can go and come home and get sober sleep and wake up feeling good the next day!

Well, at least I've got this weekend covered --- lots of yoga, healthy foods, silent hikes and no drinking. Ahhhhh.....
Old 06-08-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Still here, day 8 alcohol free. Had some wicked cravings and stress but my temporary sponsor, SR, and I got through them. It seems I've lost ten pounds too... I have been watching my diet and walking more Vanity may not be a desirable attribute but it does help deter me from drinking! I like to think of it as a tool, LOL.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Count me in too!

Hi guys -

I'd like to join the June group - this is day 2 for me.....
Old 06-08-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Traderjane, thanks for your most recent post -- I'm having a lot of problems in my relationship right now and I've recently been thinking about "what if I have to start dating again and I don't drink?"

What you said really resonated. I think because I haven't yet come up with a good answer to "why don't you drink?" -- some acquaintances of mine have been more interested (at BBQs, etc.) than I expected.

This Friday I'm having dinner with a friend from high school who is coming in to town and who I haven't seen in probably 15 years -- we're joining my best friend, who doesn't drink either (not "sober," she just doesn't really like it), so I'm not worried about feeling pressured, but she still already e-mailed and suggested that if either of us wanted to get drunk and crash in her hotel room, we were welcome -- I know she was just being friendly but I hate the expectation that people are always drinking... on dates... at dinner... whatever.

Anyway, thanks.

GG
Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Yep, I get it Twelvesteps! It's like a mine field out there! I dodge one bullet and there's another waiting for me. I'm beginning to understand why I have never gotten sober for an extended period of time. It's hard work and takes LOTS of effort. And continuous effort. Alcohol is readily around us and socially acceptable. Well, I guess that's where the ODAAT comes in handy. Let's just focus on today, right?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

OH yes... Welcome Fritz!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
KC1

Hello to all of the new members! For those of you in social situations where someone asks you why you are not drinking, one of the lines that always works for me is "I'm adopting a healthier lifestyle." Not a single person has questioned me after that. They usually ask me how it's working, and what I am doing to get healthier. I just say that I am exercising more, trying to get more sleep and eating healthier and that includes not drinking alcohol. Often times they seem to like the fact that there might be a designated driver in the group. Today I was on a business trip with my boss and I casually mentioned that I was going on a "health kick" for awhile and would not be drinking. We have to go to a lot of client entertainment events and alcohol is always around. He srprised me when he responded by saying he was thinking of giving up drinking altogether. There are probabaly more people out there than we realize who may be trying to quit. Like TraderJane said, it's just One Day At A Time. We did it today, we can do it tomorrow.

KC
Old 06-09-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good morning! June 9th here so that means Day 9 for me. Last night I had only minor cravings for wine. They were easy to ignore.

How is everyone else doing today?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

So tomorrow will be 10 days TJ. When is the last time you have hit double digits? I am proud of you. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Having some anxiety today, but I know it doesn't last long. This can be the last time I have to do this.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Me too Raindance... been having really weird dreams and feeling a little on the anxious side (day 5 now) but I am pretty sure it will pass soon. Im so happy that I am getting back on track
Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Day 6 for me. I seriously can't remember the last time I went this long sober. This morning I feel great! So proud of myself. I spent hours getting my hair done yesterday - it was looking pretty bad - and that has really helped with this good feeling today. I look so much better than the puffy, tired, bleary look I have been sporting for a while. I've lost 3.5 pounds of puff so far, but it actually feels like more. My clothes seem to be more comfortable. My skin is more comfortable.

Off to work. I hope everyone has a fabulous day.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

bdiddy -- I think I had 10 days in February this year. The longest I have had is 13 days back in November. I blew it at a company event in DisneyWorld. Thanks for your support The weird thing is that it just feels so normal not drinking to me and I think that kind of freaks me out at times -- that I can imagine a life without drinking. Why should that freak me out? I don't know

Raindance and Shelly --- great to hear from you both this morning! Hang in there Raindance, it WILL get better

Off to work I go...
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I think it is just the fear of the unknown by having a life without alcohol. Alcohol has been our "blankie" for so long it is hard to envision not having that false comfort any more. But I as well as everyone else can tell you it is the best change in the world. Just give it time to take hold. Keep going.