Notices

June 2010 Sobriety Group

Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Welcome AddingItUp, Almay and LittleChicklet! Hope I didn't miss anyone! Lots of newcomers lately, which is awesome!!!

I am actually literally (almost) out the door for my yoga retreat... just have to pack (minor detail....ha ha) then I'm on the road.

To those struggling, just try to focus on today -- not the whole weekend! That's when I start messing with my mind, when I start thinking too far ahead.

Happy Friday Junebugs. Catch you later!!!

Laura
Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Can I rejoin tomorrow? I fell off the wagon yesterday and today.... sorry.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Hey Sleepie, don't be sorry, just start over again today. JUST FOR TODAY, you can do it. Tomorrow, if you want to drink, that's a different story. Just try to stay sober for today.

LittleChicklet, I can relate about getting some sobriety and falling off. I had 60 days sober and drank again after a big argument with my significant other. Just keep coming back, keep trying and you will get there.

Anyway I'm just posting to say hi. Working on Day 6 after my relapse. I'm excited for the weekend -- for me the triggers aren't actually being out with friends, I'm happy to be seeing the people I love and catching up with them, even if I'm drinking and they're not. For me it's the nights at home alone when the liquor store calls to me... funny how we are all different.

Happy Friday, everyone. Hang in there this weekend. I'm off to my lunchtime AA meeting.

GG
Old 06-11-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

sorry I obviously meant "even if they're drinking and I'm not"
Old 06-11-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Hey June Group,

I was thinking that maybe we could bounce some around some ideas/habits/helpers that we find work to curb the cravings/urge to drink. I'll share a few things that are helping me.

1. Drinking regular soda. The kind with sugar. CocaCola classic and Dr. Pepper have been my beverage of choice. Soda has majorly curbed my cravings. Even if you like diet, but you're still having sugar cravings, give regular a shot. I eat candy too but I find that drinking sugary liquid helps to satisfy more than just the sugar. Or juice too of course but I like the fizziness.

2. Lifesaver "Pep-O-Mints." I have bowls of them all around my house.

3. Let yourself indulge a bit more in food. This has been a big one for me. Just knowing that I am consuming 1000 less calories a day in alcohol takes away my guilt from eating a piece of cake or pizza.

I think these are all out of the "textbook" but these have been my best three tools to curb the cravings.
drinking a coke does help me sometimes. i can get so low sometimes when going through withdrawals where i have difficulty thinking straight. a coke gives me a little kick that can really help. but i really want to stop this habit sometime in the future as coke is not the healthiest of things and it gives me a high that can sometimes causes a comedown.

exercise, going outdoors and getting natural vitamin d, and eating healthy can really subdue some of the withdrawal feelings. i can really feel the effect of these things and curse myself for not doing them as much when drinking.

and finally a hot shower really helps me sometimes. i will take a 20 to 30 minutes shower and sweat out some toxins. if i have the urge to drink a long shower will get me through it. it is kind of a waste of water but i live in the pacific northwest and my sobriety is that important.

day 10 for me
Old 06-11-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Can I rejoin tomorrow? I fell off the wagon yesterday and today.... sorry.
it's ok sleepie. i'm guessing it has happened to everyone or we wouldn't be here. get back on board the june train and realize what you want to do with your life.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Hey Sleepie.. wagon has pulled off to the side and there are a whole bunch of us with our hands out to help you back up. C'mon and get back on.. theres a seat right beside me
Old 06-11-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soap View Post
drinking a coke does help me sometimes. i can get so low sometimes when going through withdrawals where i have difficulty thinking straight. a coke gives me a little kick that can really help. but i really want to stop this habit sometime in the future as coke is not the healthiest of things and it gives me a high that can sometimes causes a comedown.

exercise, going outdoors and getting natural vitamin d, and eating healthy can really subdue some of the withdrawal feelings. i can really feel the effect of these things and curse myself for not doing them as much when drinking.

and finally a hot shower really helps me sometimes. i will take a 20 to 30 minutes shower and sweat out some toxins. if i have the urge to drink a long shower will get me through it. it is kind of a waste of water but i live in the pacific northwest and my sobriety is that important.

day 10 for me

Hey Soap and the June Group!

Thanks for the extra tips/helpers. I'm thinking of writing these all down and posting it on my fridge. You're right, cocacola is not very healthy and certainly not a good habit. For me (who has always been subconscious about my weight) and not a big soda drinker before, this is my mantra, my sobriety chant:::::;

I would sooner drink 19 cokes in one day than one cocktail. Or a family size pizza, or an entire cheesecake. I'd rather pour and entire bag of brown sugar into my mouth. I'd rather gain 30 lbs in my first two weeks than have to worry/obsess about pouring a solvent into my body.

Okay that was a bit silly, but this is what works for me. I've been in love with good my whole life so letting myself indulge in it now is a big reward for not drinking. And honestly I'm not even eating that much. I think the calories still end up being less than my old daily food + 1200 alcohol calories. I did however have a cheeseburger, fries, and a huge Dr. Pepper for lunch.

They say to make sobriety your number one priority and I am. Doesn't mean it's easy but anything to make it less painful for the first week. I've read some people who start crazy diets/detoxing right when they stop drinking. I wish I had that discipline but I don't.

Day 5 today for me! Being part of this group is helping me so much.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

I would sooner drink 19 cokes in one day than one cocktail. Or a family size pizza, or an entire cheesecake. I'd rather pour and entire bag of brown sugar into my mouth. I'd rather gain 30 lbs in my first two weeks than have to worry/obsess about pouring a solvent into my body.
Ha haaaa I LOVE IT!!! Totally agree... and I am very weight concious!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TwelveSteps View Post
For me it's the nights at home alone when the liquor store calls to me.
Yup, +1
Old 06-11-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me. Woke up feeling really groggy and sore, though did go for a jog yesterday so that could explain the soreness. Major withdrawal symptom I have been noticing is a restless feeling in my thighs when I lay down like my skin is crawling. I feel a bit like a newborn taking baby steps into a new world (wow that sounds really cheesy!). My skin looks better than yesterday.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Made it home after work without buying wine so I am safe for today.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Back on the wagon today- Thanks all, for being so supportive and understanding
Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

new day 1

Its my new day one today and the day is nearly over now. I feel a bit better for knowing I'm not the only one who fell at the wayside! Your support means the world to me.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're back Sleepie!

Last edited by MelindaFlowers; 06-12-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
Old 06-12-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Oh, oh, pick me, pick me!!

LOL

GREAT IDEA....please count me in!!!

June 9...day 4 & counting
Old 06-12-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go June bugs!

D
Old 06-12-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Feeling great here. I never knew how much being a part of a group would help me.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hey all - Just received my copy of the most recent AA book - strongly reccomend it as it is very inspiring and makes me feel not alone.

Wanted to say this as well - We've all been saying we drink to numb ourselves, but why else? For me, I drank because I earned it. I was a kid who was asked to grow up too soon, too often taking care of my siblings and sometimes parents (more parents emotions than physically taking care). I have thought that as a responsible person in other areas of my life, I get to drink to the point of inebriation. Somehow I managed to keep other areas of my life together (truly and oddly successful in most relationships). Although the compromise is that I live my life lying - pretending I am not hungover, not wondering why people won't drink faster, and not overly excited when I see a bottle of wine open. Anyway...its interesting to explore why we drink, and then to realize how those reasons don't add up. I thought having a difficult childhood meant I 'got' to poison myself both with alcohol and dishonesty, but it doesn't add up does it?

Interested in everyone else's thoughts. (Also, I work part time at a pub and had my first shift today working where I refused drinks from customers all night - my last shift is at the end of the week though - spending money isn't worth potentially messing up my so far short but sweet sobriety. )
Old 06-12-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Hi Adding it up,

I used whatever excuse was available to drink. If I was upset, the weather was nice, it would help me to relax, to party, to help my hangover etc. Any excuse that my addiction could latch onto. Sometimes no excuse, just that I wanted to and it's what I did.

Today is day 4 for me, it's the morning here. I feel really lethargic, body still adjusting to being without it's poison. I slept in later than usual. I had my Dad and step-mother over for dinner last night. She bought a bottle of red. She was surprised when I didn't have a glass. She was the only one that did, my Dad is a recovering alcoholic and hasn't drunk in a few years and he brought some non-alcoholic beers. I had a creaming soda and my fiancee had a red cordial (in sympathy to me I think, he does like his beer). It was fine, I felt proud to not be drinking, though it probably would have been harder if everyone else was.

Hope everyone else has a great sober day!