Notices

Touching Base... Never forgetting

Old 02-20-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Touching Base... Never forgetting

SR is such a crucial tool for my continued recovery from alcoholism as it allows me to 'touch base' with people with who I share a common bond daily: alcoholism.

Each day I wake and accept my alcoholism. I do it without really thinking about it anymore. It is just kind of there engrained in my psyche. It really helps me keep myself grounded, as when I start to feel a little 'off' about something, I can remind myself where I came from and that I am a recovering alcoholic/drug addict.

Never forgetting is crucial to my sobriety and I guess the fact that I know how close I was to really messing things so that they were irrepairable is too. It is easy to forget where we came from but SR helps keep me grounded on a daily basis. For this I am truly grateful.

Recovery for me has given my life a new meaning and opened up pathways that would have never been there for me if I hadn't been an alcoholic. However I also remind myself each day that I wake that I will only ever be 1 drink away from losing everything.

Peace and Love to All xxx
Old 02-20-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Neo,

Great post. SR is a fantastic resource for all - those not in recovery and those who are.

Like you every morning I accept my alcholism.

I hit the alarm and my first words before I open my eyes are "Good morning God, I am powerless over alcohol and food and my life is unmanageable". I believe God is my solution and I say the Step 3 prayer. I then do some Step 11 meditation about the day ahead with some more prayer. And only then do I get out of bed and begin the day.

I accept this is my life now. I do this every day, no days off because I am an alcoholic. A very grateful one.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you're doing well, Neo!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome Neo! You worded that so well and I could not have even begun to put it so well. I feel exactly the same way about this place.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
SR is such a crucial tool for my continued recovery from alcoholism as it allows me to 'touch base' with people with who I share a common bond daily: alcoholism.

Each day I wake and accept my alcoholism. I do it without really thinking about it anymore. It is just kind of there engrained in my psyche. It really helps me keep myself grounded, as when I start to feel a little 'off' about something, I can remind myself where I came from and that I am a recovering alcoholic/drug addict.

Never forgetting is crucial to my sobriety and I guess the fact that I know how close I was to really messing things so that they were irrepairable is too. It is easy to forget where we came from but SR helps keep me grounded on a daily basis. For this I am truly grateful.

Recovery for me has given my life a new meaning and opened up pathways that would have never been there for me if I hadn't been an alcoholic. However I also remind myself each day that I wake that I will only ever be 1 drink away from losing everything.

Peace and Love to All xxx
Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Spawn, thanks, I loved the post too.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

NEO, one of my favorite posters.

You REMIND ME of what it is like to get there and I think you're doing such a kick @ss job!!!! Keep it up my friend.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for the positive post, Neo...I feel the same way about SR.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

My feelings exactly, Neo. I sign on here every day no matter what - have from the beginning, even when I was still drinking. I don't think it's a coincidence that I've remained sober over 2 yrs. after so many failed attempts. To be honest, there've been a few times I was going to allow myself to have 'a few' just to see how it went. After coming here & reading/sharing, the temptation left me each time. One reason is, there are some people here I would never want to disappoint - and would never lie to - so rather than go through the drama of having to confess I had caved - I decided it wasn't worth it.

Neo, I always enjoy your posts & well remember the times you've been discouraged and frustrated. You came through those times stronger and more resolved than ever to beat this thing. I love the line about having new pathways that otherwise wouldn't have been there. A positive and very helpful thing to contemplate. I often wonder, would I still be me if I'd never had a drink? I rather like us - and the people we are becoming.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post Neo, i find them very inspiring.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yes.

Like Hevyn, I check in every day I can. I do think SR is huge in keeping me sober....no, I KNOW SR is crucial to my sobriety.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool post NEO. Very well said. When I forget where I came from, chances are I will find myself there again, if not, worse. Working with others, checking in here at SR, and a number of other things, help me stay in tune with what and who I am. Sr is another one of the tools used in my recovery program. I appreciate what is shared here. From it I have learned a great deal with more coming to light each time I check in.

Stay well.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My feelings too. Thank you for that reminder.