SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Touching Base... Never forgetting (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/195196-touching-base-never-forgetting.html)

NEOMARXIST 02-20-2010 12:15 PM

Touching Base... Never forgetting

SR is such a crucial tool for my continued recovery from alcoholism as it allows me to 'touch base' with people with who I share a common bond daily: alcoholism.

Each day I wake and accept my alcoholism. I do it without really thinking about it anymore. It is just kind of there engrained in my psyche. It really helps me keep myself grounded, as when I start to feel a little 'off' about something, I can remind myself where I came from and that I am a recovering alcoholic/drug addict.

Never forgetting is crucial to my sobriety and I guess the fact that I know how close I was to really messing things so that they were irrepairable is too. It is easy to forget where we came from but SR helps keep me grounded on a daily basis. For this I am truly grateful.

Recovery for me has given my life a new meaning and opened up pathways that would have never been there for me if I hadn't been an alcoholic. However I also remind myself each day that I wake that I will only ever be 1 drink away from losing everything.

Peace and Love to All xxx

intention 02-20-2010 12:24 PM

Hi Neo,

Great post. SR is a fantastic resource for all - those not in recovery and those who are.

Like you every morning I accept my alcholism.

I hit the alarm and my first words before I open my eyes are "Good morning God, I am powerless over alcohol and food and my life is unmanageable". I believe God is my solution and I say the Step 3 prayer. I then do some Step 11 meditation about the day ahead with some more prayer. And only then do I get out of bed and begin the day.

I accept this is my life now. I do this every day, no days off because I am an alcoholic. A very grateful one.

Anna 02-20-2010 01:06 PM

I'm so glad you're doing well, Neo!

Horselover 02-20-2010 01:36 PM

Awesome Neo! You worded that so well and I could not have even begun to put it so well. I feel exactly the same way about this place.

Spawn 02-20-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST (Post 2522019)
SR is such a crucial tool for my continued recovery from alcoholism as it allows me to 'touch base' with people with who I share a common bond daily: alcoholism.

Each day I wake and accept my alcoholism. I do it without really thinking about it anymore. It is just kind of there engrained in my psyche. It really helps me keep myself grounded, as when I start to feel a little 'off' about something, I can remind myself where I came from and that I am a recovering alcoholic/drug addict.

Never forgetting is crucial to my sobriety and I guess the fact that I know how close I was to really messing things so that they were irrepairable is too. It is easy to forget where we came from but SR helps keep me grounded on a daily basis. For this I am truly grateful.

Recovery for me has given my life a new meaning and opened up pathways that would have never been there for me if I hadn't been an alcoholic. However I also remind myself each day that I wake that I will only ever be 1 drink away from losing everything.

Peace and Love to All xxx

:c014:

Toronto68 02-20-2010 10:37 PM

Spawn, thanks, I loved the post too.

vegibean 02-21-2010 04:00 AM

NEO, one of my favorite posters. ;)

You REMIND ME of what it is like to get there and I think you're doing such a kick @ss job!!!! Keep it up my friend. :)

FBL 02-21-2010 04:21 AM

Thanks for the positive post, Neo...I feel the same way about SR.

Hevyn 02-21-2010 05:01 AM

My feelings exactly, Neo. I sign on here every day no matter what - have from the beginning, even when I was still drinking. I don't think it's a coincidence that I've remained sober over 2 yrs. after so many failed attempts. To be honest, there've been a few times I was going to allow myself to have 'a few' just to see how it went. After coming here & reading/sharing, the temptation left me each time. One reason is, there are some people here I would never want to disappoint - and would never lie to - so rather than go through the drama of having to confess I had caved - I decided it wasn't worth it.

Neo, I always enjoy your posts & well remember the times you've been discouraged and frustrated. You came through those times stronger and more resolved than ever to beat this thing. I love the line about having new pathways that otherwise wouldn't have been there. A positive and very helpful thing to contemplate. I often wonder, would I still be me if I'd never had a drink? I rather like us :wink3: - and the people we are becoming.

febuary2010 02-21-2010 05:30 AM

Great post Neo, i find them very inspiring.

coffeenut 02-21-2010 05:22 PM

Yes. :)

Like Hevyn, I check in every day I can. I do think SR is huge in keeping me sober....no, I KNOW SR is crucial to my sobriety.

nocoincidence56 02-21-2010 05:48 PM

Cool post NEO. Very well said. When I forget where I came from, chances are I will find myself there again, if not, worse. Working with others, checking in here at SR, and a number of other things, help me stay in tune with what and who I am. Sr is another one of the tools used in my recovery program. I appreciate what is shared here. From it I have learned a great deal with more coming to light each time I check in.

Stay well.

Thanks!

least 02-21-2010 06:24 PM

My feelings too. Thank you for that reminder.:)