Notices

What's for dinner???

Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

I'm in NM too Mike and we had some sleet, hail, wind, thunder, blinking lights and now one roof with a leak.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

It's cold.........so tacos with hot sauce are in order tonight.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

I've been eating a lot of baked goods and candy today....

I made divinity today, and it came out perfect... If you've made divinity before I'm sure you know that perfect divinity is NOT a sure thing

Now I'm craving meat but I only have stew beef in the house. I might have to make a sojourn into town.

-Goat
Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Finally going to "bite" on this thread................ :P

I made a quick stir-fry/fried rice for dinner AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm slow cooking some stew tonight that should be good and tasty by tomorrow......... it has (shhhhhhhhh..........) secret ingredients.

HAPPY EATING TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Well you know.... This thread is all about sharing the secret ingredients :-D

-Goat
Old 12-11-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Yes...you have to share the secret ingredients. I've made some really good recipes from this thread. How else am I suppose to improve my cooking skills?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

That's right Vegi.......and we have ways of finding out those secret ingredients. Don't make us come for you..........lol.

I think tonight..........Tilapia (the best, mildest and best textured fish out there....I bought the loins at Costco......better than Halibut.)....anyway, with lemon.....maybe some rice and steamed broccoli.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Tonight we made seafood sausage, and actually stuffed it into casings. It had chopped up prawns and scallops, a little chopped tomato & basil. When my dad died, my mom sent me his old KitchenAid mixer and all the attachments, including a sausage stuffer and meat grinder. Only used the stuffer today, but the grinder is good for making your own ground meats. Fortunately one of our local groceries sell hog casings. A couple of years ago I made pork sausage and didn't realize any locals sold casings so I bought it online. Forget how many feet I had to buy but it was a TON! Anyhoo, the sausage turned out good. A little salty, but I'll just reduce the salt next time.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Homemade sausage is a great idea! I love sausage, but I can't eat much of it because I watch my salt... But I could make some good stuff for myself! Thanks for the idea!

I bought myself a kitchenaid mixer for my birthday this year. That thing is worth its weight in gold. Last year I made the mixer smoke while beating fudge... The kitchenaid doesn't even get warm doing the same thing. Now it looks like I'll be getting some attachments for it

Next week my parents will be in town. I don't get to see them very often... If I have my way it'll be a feast every night... Monday I'm gonna drive an hour to go to the yuppie grocery store where they have the really good cuts of meat. And yuppies to make fun of I wonder how many jettas I'll pull out of the ditch this winter...

-Goat
Old 12-12-2009, 08:34 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

LOL Goat.......you just ram those Jettas!

Would love to get a Kitchenaid.......what do they run $$$$? And how much stuff can they do? I do not use my mixer much at all so I don't want to get one if it ends up in the closet next to my bread machine I used twice?? LOL

Asta I am coming over your house to do a quality control on the sausage.....I know, someone has to do it....so it might as well be me!!!!!!!

Tonight I was lame........had the rest of my hamburg soup......which by the way, if you guys want the recipe, it will rock your world....I promise you......it is EXCELLENT.......and healthy.....and spicy!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
LOL Goat.......you just ram those Jettas!
I'm not putting them in the ditch... I pull them out of the ditch! Wouldn't want you to think I'm an aggressive driver or something... And Jetta drivers seem to be pretty good at putting themselves in the ditch during the winter without my help anyway

-Goat
Old 12-12-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Goat's antics on the way to the store.......did you at least look for survivors? LOL

Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Lol!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

VC-Kitchenaids run BT $200 & $300 on Amazon but they are the best on the market. If you watch any FoodNetwork, that's all the chefs use. The attachments available are awesome. Like Goat says, it can handle stuff that made his other mixer smoke! I don't use mine all that much, but it is definitely worth finding a space for on the counter or a convenient cupboard. Its a nice something to ask for Christmas/or whatever occasion from your parents or grandparents! And BTW, anytime you can get here, I'll make a special batch of seafood sausage just for you, with less salt!

Goat, I've never made divinity but I have a client in my small town here that has a fudge/candy shop. It was yummy! BTW the meat grinder goes hand in hand with the sausage stuffer. Separate purchases of course but you need the meat grinder hopper/stuffer and grind worm to stuff the casings. If your meat is prechopped you don't need the grinder to make sausage. For the seafood sausage, I cut the stuff into about 1/4 inch dice and then just stuffed.

Gotta go to bed. Still recovering from no sleep Thurs night. <--Don't you hate it when people put antlers on their dogs?
Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

fried salami -n- cheese sammich an' a slice of carrot cake.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
fried salami -n- cheese sammich an' a slice of
carrot cake.
Sammich?? Are you perchance related to Dennis the Menace?? Sounds good & fattening no matter how you say it.

For me, leftover Chinese from last night. Tytan, congrats on finding a decent Chinese restaurant. I would imagine there in Serbia they don't deliver either. That's one bad thing about living here. No food delivery!! Gotta go pick it up or eat it there. That's about the only thing I miss about living in a big city.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

My uncle got me and my gram broccoli cheese soup in bread bowls from Panera Bread. I have never ate at Panera before. It was so good.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by Asta1 View Post
That's one bad thing about living here. No food delivery!! Gotta go pick it up or eat it there. That's about the only thing I miss about living in a big city.
huh... that's funny... I never even thought about it until you mentioned it. There are people who can have food delivered to them.

That must be very convenient.

:-D

-Goat
Old 12-15-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

sammich?? Are you perchance related to dennis the menace?? Sounds good & fattening no matter how you say it.

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Leftover Chinese again for us tonight. This is probably the last day however. This is prime crab (Dungeness) season here and the crabs are supposedly really fat & meaty. Tomorrow I'm thinking we gotta go get some! And this time of year they are FRESH!!