Notices

August sobriety group

Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good work Mars. How good will it be to say you made it to day 2?!?! Glad you are back with us, and hope it sticks for you. Good or bad, keep coming back. I start day 6 tomorrow! So looking forward to my first sober weekend in YEARS!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Hi guys.........hey KB.......I found you.......

I am a total loser......lied at work to get some time off to fix myself......cannot do this anymore.....it takes a six-pack to get out of the house......not good. Alcohol really traps me........so now.....this is it.....tomorrow is day one. Even if I have to curl up in a ball......it is time. I suck at drinking.......it takes over my life.

Nice to meet you guys.....
Old 08-06-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome Vicious Cycle. I was just thinking it would be nice to get a few more regulars on this forum! Thanks for joining us. I think we all can relate to how you feel, as we were all just there ourselves a few days ago! Keep posting, and let us know how you are doing, OK?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Thanks BD........I hope this all pans out.....feeling pretty lost right now....may go do a general post......haven't done that in ages......talk at ya soon.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Good morning all and WELCOME VC! Great to have you here in August. YES!

I feel support from all you August peeps all day long - and know I can come here if I can get to a computer, or store up my thoughts and put them down later..

Feeling very lucky to have this forum this morning.. start of day 5 for me.. It really feels like beginnings.. And getting ready for the first weekend of this new start feels both exciting and scary!
I like the morning feeling so much - realizing the day before was a no alcohol day is really an amazing feeling - replacing the remorse of many years with a reflection on the accomplishment of another day without alcohol.. I wonder if each morning from here on will feel that way? There sure were enough of the remorse mornings to last a lifetime for me (being in the middle years..) .

Have a great day out there with this new beginning all of you! :ghug2
Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Tried to make this day one.....failed but I am still hopeful......I refuse to get hammered.......that is a start......by the end of this weekend I hope to be on the upswing......what a damn disease!!!!!!!!

I have read all your posts.....it IS a lonely place to be.......it is all consuming....it's nice to know I am not alone......let's hang in there......I can't wait to be in a few days....I remember just how spectacular that was........being a flunkie from the class of Jan........sigh.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey VC, I wish I knew what to tell you, other than stay with it! I know this is a lonely disease, but believe me, if I can do it, so can you! I never thought I would make it 6 days and now that I have, I don't even look back! Please stay with us, and keep coming for encouragement. You CAN beat this disease, and we are all here for you when you do!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hello friends :)

Today is Day 2. I woke up this morning in a sweat, with a giant headache. Got to love withdrawal. NOT. Wish I could say I felt good today, but I don't. I'm physically and mentally exhausted. To be expected. I seem to recall that Day 2 felt bad the last time around (which was way too long ago). Got my water and I'm going to push through! I am so proud of all us for being here. VC...it took me a few days to get through Day 1 since I decided to give this a go. I'm still not confidant in myself, but I'm going to try. Stay with us! You CAN do this! :)

I hope you ALL have a wonderful afternoon and I will check back later! :)
Love,
Mars
Old 08-07-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 4 and things are looking good.

I had the evil little man on my shoulder whispering in my ear last night

"ohhh richard... let's get some beer....you know you waannt tooo.....we can have so much fuuunnnnnn.."

I just ignored his lying voice, and instead picked up a 12 pack of ginger ale on the way home.

Looking forward to a enjoyable sober weekend, doing lot's of things I have been neglecting lately.

Once the first week is done, it should be some clear sailing, and I am so looking forward to that again.

Have a great day everybody, and hang in there!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Resident

I just wanted to pop in here and wish the August group all the best of luck on their journeys. You all seem like a real great bunch of people. Take care and nurture each other. My class group helped me more than anything else here on SR.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi.
I was going to join on the third as that is when I decided I'd had ENOUGH, but was hesitant, as I've done this hundreds of times before....And have always wound up drinking again. I made it till the evening of the 5th (almost three whole days!) and then drank again....What a waste, as those two first days detoxing were not fun at all, and now I'm going to have to go through it all again.

I hope to be able to quit next week after my Dr. appointment, where I will finally come clean about how much I drink and ask for help. Hopefully with the additional support of this group I can do it.

Thanks for being here August group. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

WAY TO GO RICHARD! That's the way to do it! I'm so excited for you...I know that voice so well...The other night I engaged in a conversation with the voice and gave in. Earlier in the day I had thought of having my boys make me a bracelet that I could wear on my wrist so that when the voice started, I could snap it and turn my attention to my something else right away. That night I actually looked down at my wrist and wished I had a bracelet to snap. I think I am going to re-visit this idea again...Anyway...that is great progress! I'm really proud of you! :)

Love,
Mars
Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Mars, the bracelet to snap sounds like a great idea!

Anything to silence that evil little voice can help for sure.

Over time, that evil little man will come around less and less, but we must always be on the lookout, and in the early days of recovery we are at our most vulnerable to give in.

I'm on the lookout for HALT

Hungy
Angry
Lonely
Tired.

When you're experiencing these feelings, those are the times you are most likely to pick up a drink
So, when that evil little man comes around, for me, I have to just stop and breath, relax and think. Get something to eat, rest, control anger and the voice goes away.

Cheers
Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Wow - such good ideas here and wonderful support. Thanks Richard for the reminder about HALT.. Being hungry is a real trigger for me - and tired too. This morning I bought 2 half gallons of light cranberry juice which seems to be my drink of choice since not drinking wine.
sphalerite - hang in here with us.. having a group to be with is really great and for me the accountability is big factor - not like anyone is saying "KB - you have to not drink", but when I put it down here in this support group I know that you are out there supporting me in my attempt to keep it clean and I don't want to let you down (guess that is part of it for me - it is easier to let myself down than to let you down.. so just know that all of you!)

And Richard - way to go with the soda purchase - keep those goodies around.

I have been trying to do different routines this time around - just to change the rhythm of my life - even changing what I eat for breakfast, how I open the shades in my office, when I work (I am self employed so can set my hours) - I am trying to really keep the work to the 10 am - 4 pm window and let myself have the early morning for some sobriety stuff, and to stop at 4, eat something and then do something like get out of the house (my weakness window is from about 5-7:30 - if I can get through that time then I am more likely not to pick up a drink),

Here we go into the weekend August peeps - hang in here, hang together and let's make it through!

:ghug2
Old 08-07-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hi all... just joined. I had my last drink at 4:30pm on August 5th. I'm getting close to 48 hours and a bit concerned. I've been drinking for 40 years, hardly ever going a day without. In recent years at times I would be going through three 1.75 litre bottles of scotch a week. So far I have had virtually no withdrawal symptoms (except getting and saying asleep - I am used to more passing out than going to sleep).

Unbelievably I'm in pretty good health and pretty good shape. I have upped my Vitamins, water intake, etc. and have some Avitan just in case. has anyone had significant symptoms not start until after two days?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Buddahbear, you have an inspiring story to tell. Please stick with the programme this time. Im only just over 2 months sober and hit a wall 3 weeks ago. But I didnt give in and I am feeling really good now. I drank heavily for 18years. Im only 36 so I dont have your years behind me. But I felt at rock bottom a number of times before quitting, this time hopefully for good.

Keep posting!!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Welcome Buddha
Good to see another old timer warrior here.

I would think if you've gone 48 hours with no serious problems, you should be ok.

Of course, if you should start getting some problems in the near future, it would be best to get yourself some medical attention.

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

WOW, so great to see all the new people and the posts in just the last few hours since I have logged one! Welcome everyone to our August 09 support group. I am just finishing up day six, and so happy with myself! I am tired since I really haven't slept since I quit drinking. Like you Buddha Bear, more used to passing out than going to sleep. So basically I am trying to teach myself how to sleep!!!! Pretty embarrassing to just be learning that at 28 years old, but better late than never, right?

Again, I hope everyone has a great weekend, and we are all here waiting for each other on Monday!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Didn't quite make day one....but a far cry from the last few weeks......baby steps I guess. You guys sound good.....the way I want to sound by the end of this weekend........that first step sure is hard!!!!!!!! I NEED to take it!

Sleep took some time, but it will come.......and when it does it will really feel good. You will get happier everyday too as the endorphins aren't being all drugged up......

So can someone kindly kick me in the a@@ to start this sobriety deal again? LOL.......
Old 08-07-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

VC. Sorry to hear about your set back. Is there any one that you want to get sober for besides yourself? A spouse, child? For me my great motivation is my beautiful wife (that I know could do much better than me) and my amazingly sweet 11 month old little girl. For them if what makes me want this so much!

Try to find some motivation that comes before the drink!