Notices

August sobriety group

Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  

(((box3)))...We must be in different parts of the country because it is morning here. Stay strong, my friend! I'm so sorry you are going through a rough spot. You have been doing an amazing job and things will keep getting better! I just know they will. I hope you get a really good night's rest and wake up feeling great tomorrow! :)
Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  
hypercube

I'm in OZ, sans the man behind the curtain. It's Friday night here.

Thank you, I'm feeling a bit better now. This whole 'feeling' thing is all part of the process.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 503 (permalink)  

Morning everyone.
So glad to see the new august members. Welcome! You will find much support here.

(((wildrover)) I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I lost my mom last october to cancer and it too, was a short time (5 weeks) from diagnosis until she died. If you want to PM me, I'm here and have big shoulders.

I REALLY wanted to drink yesterday. I was at a job interview and was feeling so euphoric afterwards, that I could taste the wine in my mouth, a celebratory drink, so to speak. Then, I asked my self what I would be celebrating. Losing all the ground I've accomplished these past 18 days? Yesterday was day 18, the longest I've gone without drinking for I don't know when. I am working so hard on trying to turn around the "drinking thinking". It's truly the hardest re-mindset I've ever had to do.

When I got home, my husband was working out in the garage. He fell off his wagon. He'd made it 15 days. We talked about it, and I gave him reassurance that this was something not to be ashamed about, but to start again tomorrow. He asked me if I wanted to go get a bottle of wine, since he was drinking and he knew I wanted to. I said no. That I wanted to drink, but I was not going to. I also reminded mhim of the dangerous position he's puttiing his body in. He would drink a 1.75 liter of vodka a day and had been doing so for at least a year. And every detox was going to be worse.

I wish he'd stop being afraid of computers and come join us here. Maybe one day? If you all don't mind, I'd like to be able to share some of your stories with him, even though he's not a member. He needs to see that he's not alone when he falls off and that people can, and do, pick themselves up and start over. He's tried AA, but the religious part is something he just can't agree with. He says he has no belief.

I'm rambling now. Sorry! I have to go now to my mom's house for an estate sale. Oh boy! A whole 2 days of people going through her things and trying to barter down the prices! Can't wait!

Thanks for all the encouragement and hope. Even though it's rainy and cold here, my heart is warm and sunny, knowing that I have a community like this to vent to, where I will be accepted, as is.

Stay strong, stay true, find peace one minute at a time.

Blessed Be
Old 08-21-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 504 (permalink)  

(((lastthird)))...I am OVERJOYED and filled with tears reading your post! I'm SO PROUD of you...all of you...there is SO MUCH STRENGTH and WILLPOWER within this group...I am truly HUMBLED.

Have a great day everyone :)
Old 08-21-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 505 (permalink)  

Good Morning all! Still hangin in there as today the beginning of week 2 for me....the day I stubbed my toe and went down for 2 days on my last attempt. I think/hope that my resolve is strong enough to make this week just my beginning. There are a lot of us out there that have gone this far and even farther and tripped, and I'm always glad to see them get back up and go for it again. I really think there is the strength in numbers thing going on in this place or so many of us wouldn't be so determined to get back up and get on that horse again. It doesn't matter the reason or the trigger that makes us try again and again, just the fact that we are trying to get past this that has taken our lives over. Somewhere inside of us all, no matter how hard and deep we have to dig there is the ability when the desire is strong to kick ass on this thing that rules us day in and day out. The words of encouragement here are a big help to me I know. Some of us only need a hand up, some a kick in the butt, and then there are some like myself who require a kick in the head to bring out that resolve....myself being the latter. Good thing that I have a hard head I guess. I think that I've killed enough brain cells that a good boot to the head won't hurt a thing. Well I hope that I've reached the point where I can stop getting those wake up kicks...it does get a tad sore. I just realized the other day that my first sober day was the sister's birthday so maybe that will help strengthen...I'll take all I can get. So I'm off to start another day of the journey/quest that we all share. Get out there and make it another day...give it hell!!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:26 AM
  # 506 (permalink)  

Good job LastThird. You're an amazing woman!

Hang in there, Box.

Starting day five! Still have the foggy head, but other than that, I'm feeling fine. I really wanted a drink last night. I've been keeping myself busy all week, but last night all of my friends had plans or other obligations. I sat on my couch and watched a movie before turning in early. To top that off, my gf and I are having serious problems. But I'm here and I'm sober. What huge step!

Hang tight guys. You're my new family.

Fish
Old 08-21-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 507 (permalink)  

Good morning Class,
Check in: Still sober, 21 days today, from my small relapse. Feeling good and strong. for all your posts and shares, they keep me focused. I'm here 4 you all, no matter, how many miles b/w us. All the temptations that life just presents and we do not drink or if we do, we start again. Not dealing with vacations or illness; and yet, still we struggle. My hat to U.

Read a poem yesterday, titled "Summer" Just 3 words. ****, it's hot! That about says it for me.
Stay strong everyone.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 508 (permalink)  

Good morning all,
I didn't sleep well, but believe that was to be expected. I went to a step meeting last night. It did help to keep me from drinking, but, it just didn't do anything for me. The last time I attended this group, it gave me a real boost. My mind just wasn't with it.
I never ceased to be amazed at how well people are doing. Yes I read ALL the thread, but we are not saints and everyone makes mistakes. The bottom line is having a true desire to quit drinking. No one program, rehab, or anything else is right for everyone. Just as each of us is different, so must our approach to quitting needs to fit our own individual needs. I remain sure that we can all make it, some of us will take a little longer than others. To all, remember there are no guarantees about tomorrow. Reach out and call those that you love and miss. Don't let the past hold you back, go forth and do GREAT Things.

I am with you all.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 509 (permalink)  

(((groggles55, Gofish, tallcactus)))...Feelin' the love! Awesome posts...THANK YOU!

Time to get moving...
Have a GREAT day everyone!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 510 (permalink)  

On to day three for me. Last night wasn't too bad, as I decided to cook a really nice meal for the boyfriend and I. It broke up my routine as I went to the grocery store before going home, meaning I was out when I usually started my drinking. And I was so proud of myself when the BF called and asked if he should pick up wine and I said no.

All was going really well until the damn scallops wouldn't sear, and I almost lost my mind. Near sobbing as worked over the stove. Hey emotions, it's been a long time...I just cried it out a little and took some deep breaths, and just pushed through. It was so tempting to just get a drink, just to call down, to take the edge off as so many of us have said.

But I didn't. I got through another night, to wake up to another day hangover free, and knowing things can only get better.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 511 (permalink)  

Good Morning August Sobriety Group,
I wanted to drop in to wish you all a clean and sober day. By the grace of God, the support of my AA and church families and the encouragement from my online recovery fellowship I am celebrating 2 years clean and sober today. I just wanted to say to those who are just beginning this journey and those struggling to stay on the path, that it can be done....one day at a time......one second at a time if need be, but I could not have done it alone. I encourage you to seek out those who have traveled the road before you and follow in their footsteps. Good luck to all.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 512 (permalink)  

I am back and still here. I went out with the boys last night, and I thought.... let's try this moderation thing! I had 2 beers and went home. That is what we all did. This isn't a crazy group of people. It is a group of professionals that get together once a month. So I was out for 2 hours, had 2 beers, and went home and didn't have anything else. I hope I didn't play with fire, but apparently the moderation thing worked. Am I considered a failure if I still drink occasionally and only in moderation?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 513 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Dee, Bo, yes, in this case the lady in question, bless her heart, has just never really seemed into this helping the newcomer thing. There has always been a hesitancy. She'd help, as long as she doesn't have to do a thing. She was last week going to connect me with somebody closer to where I'm at, and did not follow through either. She'd rather just talk on the phone. I don't use the phone much--it's a prepaid, so 2 hour phone calls are pretty much out of the question.

I'll get more numbers. Part of the problem I guess is at this meeting about half the people have years and years of sobriety. They might have forgotten what it was like... I mean, I can't think harshly of her for not remembering what she did 14 years ago. I don't remember 14 years ago either.

I slept good last night, probably for the last time in a while. Made it like 6 hours. Now I gotta get something to eat, wish I had fresh vegetables--I feel like eating something cold. Drinking lots of water.

Kinda mad at myself, seeing what I did this week with a clearer head. It was pointless, left me feeling battered and now I have to make up the time, get all the things done I needed to yesterday or wednesday. Oh well, too late to cry over it.

Funny, I thought I'd posted this last night...
Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 514 (permalink)  

bdiddy...Moderation does not work for me. I've thought and done exactly what you are thinking and are considering doing. I find that when I give in to the voice that calls on occassion, it only gets stronger when it comes calling again...and again...but that is just me. I don't want it to be so, but it is. I am still not sure if I will never be able to enjoy a few drinks again, but I think that comes from the underlying question that I have regarding whether or not I am suffering from alcoholism or a lack of will/determination to break a nasty habit I have formed (sort of like smoking and drinking coffee). I successfully gave up smoking 13 years ago, but have not been able to give up coffee for more than 2 days. I am currently addicted to 3 things in my life: coffee, alcohol and the computer :( Honestly, I can go more days abstaining from alcohol than I can from coffee. Obviously drinking alcohol is much more harmful but when I measure my addictions, I am far more addicted to caffeine. But regardless, if I cannot give something up for 30-days, it is an addiction. It's up to us to decide if we are okay with that...

I need to break free from my alcohol addiction because it is taking something precious away from me...my life. A few drinks on occassion is just not worth the risk to me. Only you can determine if it is worth it to you. And how many occassions is acceptable? I just can't say, bdiddy ...but if you are asking for my honest opinion, I do not think you are ready to even think about drinking on occassion, much less do it. This is based purely on what you have shared with us and my opinion is given in love :)
Old 08-21-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 515 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continue:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2338979