Notices

August sobriety group

Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Class of August 2009

Hey to all,

After a year of on again and off again (with two very successful periods of several months), I back hoping the third time is the charm as they say..

I hope a lot of us who are getting on the wagon in August will join in here and all support each other.

I can say this - being without alcohol is so much better than being with it! The periods of having none in the past year have been great and I want them back.

New sobriety date August 3, 2009! I think this might be the lucky one!

hugs to all.

KB
Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm with you KindBird.

I had over 5 months sober earlier this year, and I want it back.

The last month I have been power drinking and think I'm going to get very sick if I don't smarten up pronto.

Day 1 here she goes !!!
Stock up the ice cream and Snickers Bars !!!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

KindBird has just started a Class of August thread in the
Newcomers Daily Support section...
All Aboard !!!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

OH Richard - that is so great - my dear friend from the January class journey.. Yet - get those sinckers and ice cream.. me too... and for me good movies - that helps.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well fine I guess. Here I thought that I had already started this thread, but Kindbird had to go and be too cool for us and start her own! hahaha.

Keep on keeping on friends. I went to an acupuncturist this afternoon and it really helped calm me down a bit. My headache completely went away, and I walked out of there calm and clear headed. Say what you want about it, but I am a believer He is also a naturopath doctor, so he game some hers and stuff to help me sleep and get my body back on track.

Here's to a sober week. Day 2 over, and it feels great!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Richard and bdiddy - I just asked the Forum folks to combine our threads - bdiddy's has lots of good stuff on it and more August people than this one has (sorry I did not catch this one bdiddy -:sorry)..
In any case - here we are - working this thing out in August

I think Acupuncture is great - have used it myself but not for the sobriety stuff. I get anxious a lot and I think the wine in my life has plugged into the "high strung" part of me - should consider getting some needles again..

Great being here together on SR and making August a month to remember!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi August peeps
keep it up guys!
D
Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi friends, I would like to join this group. My mother's 75th birthday was August 3 and I thought that the best present I could give her would be to quit drinking. So although I am only on day 2 (about to go to sleep) I have had no problems with abstinence so far. This is a big surprise since I have been knocking off two bottles of wine for the past 2-3 years. Three years ago my wife and I adopted a five year old boy and I vowed that I would not be a drunk father like my dad was. It took three years for me to act. I've never been a bad drunk but the alcohol takes me off my parental game and the expense cannot be justified, especially in these economic times. All this to say I am determined to hang with everyone through the month of August and beyond. I grew up in France and started drinking when I was 16 and I am now almost 51. I spent tonight reading a good book and drinking lots of water. I love waking up without a hangover and taking the dogs for a nice walk down to the lake. I love giving my son hugs and not having to worry about my breath smelling like wine. I will end your torture by terminating my random thoughts. Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good Morning :)

Yesterday was not my day :( I tried to log on and share how I was feeling, but things were too busy and I didn't have the chance. Next thing I know, DH is home and we are off to a Mexican restaurant where I gave in to my craving and had two margaritas. We went for a drive after dinner (I was not driving) and I really wanted another drink. I kept thinking about getting home and making myself a drink. We got home and I managed to get myself a glass of ice water, change and pass out on the couch. I was really tired and so that helped me not give in. I'm not surprised at all by my actions, but I am continually disappointed. I feel so defeated in many areas of my life. I've gained 30 pounds in the last few years of this nightly drinking business. I spent way too much money and wasted years that I cannot get back. I'm so sorry to be so negative. I know I need to focus on what lies ahead and not dwell on the past. It's just so hard when it's staring me in the face everyday when I look into the eyes of my children or see my reflection in the mirror. Why isn't this enough to make me change?! I'm so frustrated with myself. Stupid drinking. It doesn't even feel good to drink anymore. When I drink I feel like an addict feeding my addiction. It stinks.

Thank you for listening everyone. I hope I didn't bring anyone down. I would much rather lift everyone up, but honestly, I just don't have it in me at this point :(

Love,
Mars
Old 08-05-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm glad you guys got some more members. Like I said before I ran to our July 08 class every time I logged on (still do it just is very quiet now). We sort of shared first everythings from holidays to vacations. Keep close and keep posting. I actually read the December 08 thread and some of them have stayed really close. Good luck to all. If it gets too quiet you may find more folks right now in the July 09 thread. I'm sure you would be welcomed there too. We are all in the same school just different classrooms at times.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good morning all you August peeps,

Great to meet all of you..

Hanks - what a great b-day present for your mom.. and your kid.. and yourself...etc..
Mars - I have a similar situation where others don't see me as having a problem - I really believe that only we know the real depths of the problem.

Three days with zero alcohol after a few months of really cut back consumption has me really feeling that even "some" alcohol is too much.. I feel so much better with only 3 days - physically for sure - Head feels clearer, my joints hurt less, I tire less when I swim (which is several times a week), and I love talking to people and knowing that there is no stale (or fresh) alcohol smell on my breath.. And I am saving the wine $$ in a piggy bank and just might do something wild with it in a month!

Great being here with all of you. Have a great sober day all you August friends!

Old 08-05-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Sorry I was absent for the day here. I had to go out of town for work. I am back now, and still alcohol free. I haven't slept well the past 2 nights with no alcohol, but I am thinking I will eventually just get so tired I will just collapse, so let's hope that happens soon! ( in a good way of coarse.) I am glad some of you are doing well, and welcome Hank. Sorry about your fall Mars, but get up, dust off and climb back on that horse! It is a sweet ride everyone, isn't it?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It is a sweet ride bdiddy I'm coming up on days 3 here soon.

I've tried every trick in the book from just trying to drink on weekends, or moderating, or social settings only.....limiting my intake..

It all only results in the same thing and for me that is all out drinking.

At this point in my life, I cannot physically endure any more of that without serious health implications (I'm a 54 year old alcoholic).

So the only answer for me is total abstinence.
Nothing, not even one drink is possible or I'm off on a real bender.

So lets buckle up and do it folks!
This site is a wonderful support system.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

weekend prep time

Hi guys,

So it is Thurs and this will be the first weekend of not drinking in a while for me and for lots of us so let's get our plans together to NOT DRINK this weekend.

I have to keep things I like to eat and drink around the house because my drink of choice was white wine and it was in the referigerator so I am putting cranberry juice (which I love) in the same spot the wine bottle had occupied.. And I have to not get hungry in the early evening because I used to drink and eat something before dinner if dinner was late (of course - would continue to drink up to and during dinner, and after.... you know the drill).

Please share ideas and let us know what your weekend plan of staying sober is.. I really get so much from other peoples' ideas.

thanks! :ghug3
Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

KindBird, (Love that name, where did it come from?)
Good plan! Love that ideal. It's lots of H2O for me. Also a viewing Friday for my dear patient that I lost 8/1/09, maybe church, meetings, etc; I just do not know. Taking it slow. Sad, grieving, but 1 day @ a time, friend. Feeling weak and also stressed and emotionally and actually physically sick. Hubby was sick last week, now I got whatever it was, he had, yesterday.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi tallcactus.. wow, big grief and new sobriety together feels like a challenge but doing the planning sure should help. Sorry to hear of your loss..

When I signed on to SR I thought I would like a name that was kind of an affirmation - things I wanted in my life, so I kindness came to mind because it feels really healing to me, and bird because I love birds and also need to embody some of the spirit of flight - letting go, etc.. I tend to be hyper-responsible and I think it provokes internal intensity that then provokes some of my desire to drink.. So if I can be more like a kindbird it will be good.. thanks for asking.

Hope the husband-bug does not get the better of you!

Speaking of names - are you a Saguaro?
(( ))
Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My plan for the weekend is to totally submerge myself in family. My brother and his family are coming to town for the weekend to hang out and go to our lake cabin. We are going to chill out there, and for once I am going to have the energy to actually go jet-skiing, boating, wake-boarding, etc. instead of sitting on the deck with a drink in my hand. For me, the idea of doing all this stuff again will be much more fun than drinking. I want to take my daughter swimming in the lake (my wife has always done it since I have been too drunk or not had the energy to do it.) I am also looking forward to getting up early Sunday and going to church again. I have only been there once this summer, and I struggled all the way through it because I couldn't wait to get home and have that first drink of the day to calm my nerves.

So I am basically looking forward to a weekend that I haven't enjoyed in years!!!! and it feels oooooooo so GOOD!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

bdiddy - I get goose bumps reading your post. Have a wonderful weekend! sounds just great!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Just wanted to stop in real quick and say HELLO to everyone! :) I am so, so tired. I can barely keep my eyes open. But I am happy to report that I am sitting here drinking water! I'm aiming for 64 oz. today. I haven't done well the last two days and am still on Day 1. It's looking REAL good so far. Don't even want to have a drink. I'm just too tired. I'm hoping it will help to wake up tomorrow and be on Day 2. Haven't seen that in a LONG TIME. Day 2, that is...Lots and lots of Day 1's. Congrats to everyone...you all sound very strong and are encouraging me a ton! I hope to join the ranks and be able to do the same very soon.

Love,
Mars
PS...I just came back in to edit a typo and realized it is almost 6pm and I haven't had anything to drink! WHOO-HOO! That hasn't happened in AGES! :O
Old 08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

You Go MARS - take it by the hour if that works!