Notices

For those with less than 2 weeks sober...Part 3

Old 08-25-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"one drink away from madness" for sure, and we sure are in this all together. And there is strength in numbers!

:ghug
Old 08-25-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by HopeTo180 View Post
I treated myself to a well deserved massage today (to celebrate one week). I then took myself to see a movie (Tropical Thunder) what a funny movie. What a wonderful day!

Oh Yes! I too think it's important to treat ourselves often.
Congratulations on your 7 days of success...

My today treat was garden fresh tomatoes
a neighbor shared with me.

Let's all join in another day of victory...
Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Hope the massage is a really good idea and also helps release some of those toxins. Plus it's nice to be touched and relaxed. I don't know about you guys but I get really tense without something to relax me at night and it just builds and builds. Yelling at bad drivers is only going so far.

Karen & LacieMae. I feel you today. I'm having my own little battle. Not going to drink but unfortunately the little voice is bugging me and I thought, this just really sucks that I can't have one. But I can't. So that's that. Thanks for letting me share.

I'm glad for your wonderul day Hope.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Kathleen, your avatar makes me want a dog! Or at least to scratch your dog's nose. Actually, I'll stick to the latter; that way I don't have to pick up his poop
Old 08-25-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Ha...thanks for making me laugh. If you ever do get a dog and you like low maintenance then I highly recomend this breed. They are delighfully easy. It's almost as easy as owning a cat. If anyone can truly "own" a cat.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:15 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I know now that there IS hope for me. I've had a few days on the road by myself to really think, meditate and pray, and I feel a renewed spirit and determination to quit again, this time for good.

My only problem is that I've been drinking nearly every day for a couple weeks, binging every few days or so and I am scared of the bad detox symptoms I always get. I have to pack up my entire apartment in less than 2 weeks, so I have no time to be sick. So tomorrow and Wed I will do a half glass of wine, to "wean" myself. I have exactly 1 mini-bottle (which equals one glass altogether) left and will divide it for the two days. (Tonight I had one glass). Hopefully this will stop any horrible symptoms from coming on, but if it doesn't, I will head to my nearest ER. Thursday will be my new sobriety date - 8-28-08. I am very excited for this day, I cannot wait to be free of alcohol again.

But I am also scared. How many times have I resolved to stop?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I'm excited for you sobergirl And glad you're watching out for your safety!

Nothin to do but focus on one day at a time. You can do this. Day 3 here. Let's walk this road together eh?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a fan of weaning sobergirl - I never did what I planned to do when weaning, but you seem to be committed to that, and most importantly, you're not me

Like you say, head to the ER if any hassles.

as for after Thursday - one day at a time - really - I can't stress the importance of that in the early days. One bite at the mountain at a time. Dunno what yr thoughts are on AA now, but there are lots of other alternatives too.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

good luck
D
Old 08-25-2008, 11:16 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

But I am also scared. How many times have I resolved to stop?
That doesn't matter. You know you can do this part of it. It's the staying quit you're afraid of. Me too. Just for today Sobergirl. Don't get too far ahead. You have a lot of information from last time. A lot. Easy does it.

-K
Old 08-25-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hey sobergirl

Do what you need to do to get through this.I understand how scared you are-I'm glad you have a plan and that the ER is nearby if you need it.

Just know that after you move?There's tons of support here for when you stop altogether.I couldn't wean myself off at all but I get why you're doing it for now.

Take care and do use the support you have here whenever you need it okay?

Julesxox
Old 08-26-2008, 04:35 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Here comes day 4! Congratulations on deciding to quit again, sobergirl. I think your plan sounds good. I'm so lucky that my withdrawal symptoms are so light. Lots of sweating (yuck) especially at night, and cravings and a bit of headache. That's it. All I really want in life at this moment is to get through today without a drink. I just know it will get easier as I go along. Tonight there's an AA meeting close to my house and I've resolved to go. It's terrifying to me because I've screwed up so many times and I hate to feel the feeling I get, that everyone is looking at me thinking, "oh, here she goes again. She'll never stay sober." But it's not about what they think of me. I'm just going to be there to listen and eventually I'd like to gain a support network, but if I don't, ok, I have SR and you wonderfully understanding people. I don't know yet if I'm going to embrace the whole program like I've tried to do before. It's never worked for me before and AA is where I heard "If you keep doing the same thing you'll keep getting the same results" I don't know what will work for me. But all that is in the future and all I can do is today. I'm going to try to get to a meeting, and I'm not going to drink. The rest will come later, if I don't drink.
I'm worried about my son coming home. He's grown up. He drinks a little, his girlfriend drinks a lot, and he smokes pot. Plus, this is his computer I'm using. I have to get a router before I'll have internet on my computer. He should be home in about a week. I'll make sure I get a router by then and as for the rest... Nothing I can do today. I don't like the idea of having that stuff here. I know how suddenly my urge can come on and how intense it can be.
Better get to work! Hugs and a very sober and wonderful day to all!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not a fan of weaning sobergirl - I never did what I planned to do when weaning, but you seem to be committed to that, and most importantly, you're not me

Like you say, head to the ER if any hassles.

as for after Thursday - one day at a time - really - I can't stress the importance of that in the early days. One bite at the mountain at a time. Dunno what yr thoughts are on AA now, but there are lots of other alternatives too.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

good luck
D
Thanks Dee! I have weaned many times with only minimal problems.

I had been attending AA meetings nearly every day for the past 4 months. It didn't keep me sober, but I'm still willing to give it another whole-hearted try. I'm traveling for the next several weeks but will make meetings when I can.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

:ghug2 to all of us struggling to get and stay sober today!

It is a beautiful day, I am incredibly grateful to have another chance.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Glad to see you here and keeping on Sobergirl77.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

6 days. I wanted to drink all morning and some of the afternoon. In fact I actually made plans to drink as soon as i had finished something, but then I said I would work for just a little more and then I kept going for a few hours and then I no longer felt like drinking and i felt so good for no other reason than I no longer felt like drinking.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Toast - that's excellent. You are flexing your "no" muscle. Hurts doesn't it? It's good that you are telling yourself maybe later, let's finish this first. Often times I'll say, maybe tomorrow, just not today. Not tonight. It's getting me through one day at a time. That's all I can really take.

Karen, Glad you are going to AA tonight. I don't think anyone would think that of you. I don't do AA but they are (mostly) good people. Tell us how it goes?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

how nice reading all the positive support for those who are struggling and who are getting a few days under their belts

myself today is a DAY 1 again

again and again. but today, i am positive...there were a few days that i didn't think that i would even make it through day one. and i didn't.

today there is a little hope.

i bought food for my fridge, finally, and it is full

i got some meat, marinating, and am going to cook it up for dinner

keep up the good work everyone
Old 08-26-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Ann

This is so simple right? We ALL know what we need to do - just don't drink. Right? Sounds simple enough. . . . .WRONG! ! ! ! ! I think that I am all alone in this battle with alcohol and myself. I tell myself I must be the only one who cannot get 7 days under their belt. It just cannot be that difficult to live without alcohol anymore. Then why is it? Because I am an alcoholic and it has taken over control of my life (or at least thinks it has). Right now, I am not even thinking about day 1 or making it to day 2. Today it is just getting through the hours - 1 at a time. I am sober NOW and for right now, just this minute -that is a good thing. I call the alcohol my evil twin and part of me struggling to get sober, my good self. Well, right now it feels like the evil twin has locked up good self somewhere. I know I am rambling now, but it is a struggle right now. It is helpful and supportive to know there are those of you out there that know exactly what I am talking about.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just getting thru today is all you can ask for, cause that's all you get - one day at a time. Get thru today one hour, one minute at a time, if that's all you can do, and today will be over and you'll still be sober before you know it.

Congrats to all on their sober time, and to those still struggling - never give up on yourself! You're worth the effort! Keep moving forward!

:ghug
Old 08-26-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

SG...
please stay safe...I remember how awful you felt during
your last taper/de tox.

Blessings