to assist each other.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks SS....I can't do clips
so it's much appreciated.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Katie: Thanks for finding that. That whole thing is a riot! I love Bill Cosby!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm watching the rest of the clips now!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

If you have kids....the last segment of the stand up will have you howling. I had tears streaming down my face as he describes all children as brain damaged. Actually, I don't have kids. I just remembred that.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:10 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
getting there

Hi everybody,
Love the Bill Cosby routine! I'm at the end of day 7. I had a good day until the end, when it turned very stressful. I was really tempted to drink - in fact it was almost an impulse - but I stopped myself. It's like I just want to dull it all out so I don't have to think about it... but I want to try getting through something stressful without my crutch. Wish me luck.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:11 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Colagirl - I wish you strength. 7 days Spudida and Cola Girl! Great Job. Welcome Bear Runner. Glad you made the right decision tonight. Why go back to day 1 and start all over? You can see from this thread how hard day 1s can be on people both physically and emotionally. I don't know if I could face another day 1. This is a better life, grumpy and all.

Thanks to the people who PMed me about my earlier post. Glad I didn't offend anyone so far and that we've made (I hope) a new commitment to turn this place around to the "2 weeks and under AND moving forward in our sobriety" thread. More team work less poor me, poor me, pour me another drink.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:27 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

My goal is simple, go to bed sober and try again tomorrow. That plan will work fine for tonight. Tomorrow I'll work on a more long-term plan.
Karen,

WELCOME. Glad that thread helped. It really helped me to know I need a plan but it doesn't have to be everyone elses plan. Also, the plan you're on right now (above) that's mine every day. The one day at a time motto works.

Kathleen
Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi all. I did bad.

Stupid me.

bad me. See you guys later, when I'm ready.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

you're not bad and you're not stupid FD. You're an alcoholic - this crap might be what you do, but it's not what you are, not really. There's a Forever December in you who wants an end to this.

I've been where you are.
You've been fighting it recently and cutting back - you've let it back in and now it's fighting you back.

You can stop it. You're ready when you want to be. Just make the choice.
We're all here to help.

I hope to see you back here really soon.
Tomorrow would be good

D
Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Forever December, Come back and post when you're ready to count days and stop drinking!! You'll be ready to try again someday soon (maybe today?) and we'll be here waiting for you. In the meantime, this place should be focused on encouraging people who really want to get past 2 weeks by taking on the battle one day at a time. Cola Girla & Spud - Day 8. Self Seeking/Katie-Day 1 & Karen - Day 2!!! 8
Old 08-24-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Day 1 indeed. I'm gonna work out now. And.... GO.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Day 8 and I'm glad sober, but I'm having a hard day. I don't know what's up but I'm sad and anxious at the same time. I should be on top of the world and I'm really pleased not to be hung over as I have been for sooooo many Sundays - Am I just having a pitty party? If that's it, and I've had my share, it will pass. Since talking seems to wear me out today, I thought typing might be something I could do to get this off my chest and possibly get some feedback from those of you who have been trough similar times. I want to stay sober and I'm not thinking about drinking....I'm just sad.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

What kind of anxiety, Spud? Are specific things bothering you or is it a general feeling?

I think typing on SR is a great way to reach out when f2f feels overwhelming. You can read and respond at your own pace, for one thing. So hang out here for a while!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

We hear a lot about drinking to our personal bottoms here at SR
High or Low bottoms. I reach mine? What is a bottom?
...In recovery lingo...it's the point where a drinker decides to quit.

Some members of this thread have shared on another thread
Perhaps some of our newer members will find this interesting

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

Please share there too if you choose.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

early sobriety was a bit like that for me Spud - and a lot of others - so many emotions we kept a lid on by drinking...change can be a bit confronting too sometimes?

I just tried to keep busy and tried to stay focused

Keep it up, ok??
D
Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

spudida...Hii...

Well done on your sober progress

I too felt sadness for a short time in early sobriety.
I had lost a long time companion ..alcohol...
and how I was going to live without it was a mystery.

I wasn't sure exactly what kind of person I was.
Did I like the new me?
Who would I hang around with?
How to spend my time now that I was a non drinker?

For me...it was about action and change...

By changeing my actions ...I found new ways to cope
with life. I made new sober friends ...who shared my
goals and sober lifestyle. I spent hours on improving
my mind ...body and spirit. Then the self confindence
grew ....I knew I could live sober and enjoy it.

Let's both have another 24 hours of victory!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't any of you forget that success is possible, one day at a time. I am making it, one day at a time, and the days are adding up. I used to think I was hopeless, that I'd never manage to stay sober, but it finally happened. So it IS possible for the worst relapsers to stop relapsing and stay sober. I'm living proof. So dig in your heels! Never give up!

:ghug love and hugs to all
Old 08-24-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I have been so tired again today. I did get out and cut my grass. And I sort of neatened stuff up. I looked up AA meetings online. It can't hurt to go to one, I don't have to pledge my soul or anything. There's one starting at 8 not far from here, but I'm so tired I just don't think I can make it. I don't have any booze in the house and am not about to go to a bar (that's always been scary to me, to go to a bar alone. Even scarier than not drinking! What if somebody there thinks I want to get to know them or something. Yikes! Maybe if I had a t-shirt that said, 'go away, I'm only here to get drunk')
I'm still reading this book 'Step Zero'. Part of it really hit home. It was from a list of common reasons why addicted people think that they can never get better. One of them was called "you believe in magic". It was about how a person can get it into their head that just wanting to be sober is all that can be expected of us. That hoping for sobriety, reading books about it, being with people who talk recovery and are sober, all that, is almost as good as actually doing something to get sober. They say it stems from the fear that we just don't have what it takes to stay sober, that eventually something or someone will have to do it for us. Yuck, I hated seeing that in print, because if it is me, well, ok, now what?
I have a nosy neighbor that got on my nerves while I was out cutting my grass. She was criticizing my yard. I have a privacy fence, she has to stand on a chair to see into my yard. I wanted to say, "get off the chair bitch, and my yard won't be a bother to you". But I didn't. I said something nice about how I had to hit the shower and went inside and seethed and wanted a drink so bad that if any had been here I know I would have drank. So that scares me, because if I really want it I can always get it. How am I going to do this!!!???? I'm ok for today but what about tomorrow? I know, 'One Day at a Time'. But isn't it a good idea to come up with a way to stay sober tomorrow while I'm sober today?
Sorry for the long post, my head is just spinning with all this.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No, don't worry about tomorrow UNTIL it becomes today. Just worry about the time you're living right now. Don't have to have an agenda, just the goal of staying sober One Day At A Time. Sometimes it's depressing to look too far down the road. That's why God made our paths curved - so we couldn't see too far down the road.

Be content with staying sober Today. This can be done. I was a chronic relapser who couldn't rack up much sober time. But I kept coming back and starting over and finally it "took"!

Keep coming back. Lots of forums with different perspectives on addiction. Lots of good info and inspiring stories. We're a friendly lot. Let us be your friends!

:ghug3