Notices

For those with less than 2 weeks sober...Part 3

Old 08-23-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Day 5 (never thought I'd say that!)
Either I have no headache or my forehead is numb from the 5 days of tension. I'm really feeling good. I've completely changed my routine. Funny how the day seems to last longer. Driving at night is so beautiful. I didn't realize how much I was missing. Making a night-time run for Ice Cream has been a new found joy! I have so much time to get things done. Looking back at when I used to drink, it's apparent to me now. Not only was I slowly killing myself, I was in a hurry to do so.

I saw a show with this lady that works with alcoholics. She said she can walk into a house and know if an alcoholic lives there. If an alcoholic lives there, the house will be completely disorganized. I looked around with a very humble feeling and said yes, it's time to clean up! It's time to reorganize what I see outside with how I feel inside. This may help to complete the puzzle. This will be another task needed to develope who I will become. This is necessary. Like raising a child, I can guide myself to grow into a wonderful adult.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Good for you Hope on 5 days!! Ha..ha..Haagen Das is my friend also lately.

I saw a show with this lady that works with alcoholics. She said she can walk into a house and know if an alcoholic lives there. If an alcoholic lives there, the house will be completely disorganized
Sorry but that's some bologna. I am an alcoholic and have almost always kept my home nice, clean and organized.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Boston,
Good for you. I think the lady meant "a drunk". The show was Oprah Winfrey, not a big fan.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hmmm...I went back through this thread because one of the newcomers talked to me and said, this thread feels "chronic" and it feels like they are just assuring each other that it's okay to drink and be on day 1 over and over. The person also felt ignored because they were positive and that the more negative feeling-sorry-for-my posts were getting a lot more attention. So I went back to read through this and realized some of the new people are getting ignored or barely awknowledged. So..I think I will step out of this thread awhile. I also wanted to repost something Dee posted that I don't think was absorbed by some here:

You're right. That is simply not a good enough reason for us to try and deal with crap by doing something that is harmful to us. It makes no sense.

Bawl your eyes out, scream into your pillow, run until you drop, come here to SR and read, post, call a friend....do anything but drink.

I do understand - I have been there - I had a guinea pig die - she was more than a pet, she was a friend - she died in my arms - and...I just wanted not to feel that day.

I got horrendously drunk, but I didn't feel better. Nothing makes you feel better. That's why we feel sad, why we grieve for heaven's sake. I drank, but I still grieved for a long time after anyway.

Sometimes we face really really tough things and the reasons and excuses we have to drink seem like really good ones- but that doesn't make drinking right.

We all have to learn to face life and it's troubles without drinking, and sadly, there just is no good time to start that. It's always gonna be hard, it's always gonna suck for a while - there'll always be something, big or small.

Start again - I know you want to - tomorrows a new day and I hope you feel a little better by the time you read this.
I'm not being judgemental but I'm unsure if you are really "helping" each other in this thread. It may be time to get some actions behind some of the words here for some of you. Welcome Toast, Spudida, Hope, Isaiah and others. Please keep up your efforts in not drinking and join the Class of August.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Weird. I'm not living under a bridge or doing time for a DUI but... this is bottom. It's on the inside mostly, but it's my bottom.
Last night was different. My body was drunk but my brain didn't do that euphoria thing it used to. Actually it took me to a really scary place. It's not good to go there with a malfunctioning frontal lobe.
I can't drink again.
I feel really isolated from the world today so this post is just really to say to somebody, "I'm here" If that makes any sense.
Love you all, hope everyone is doin ok.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Boston, I think you're right, and sorry to the newcomers who didn't feel welcomed!

In a more positive vein- cause I would like to be out of this hole I dug myself ASAP- here are some reasons I can think of for why I drank, along with alternate plans for the next go-round with craving/"stinkin thinkin" as they say in AA.

I broke from my routine, gave myself a free day. I basically lay around the house instead of doing anything productive. I drank a LOT of coffee which got my heart going really fast, and upped my anxiety. Didn't eat. Didn't make plans for the night when I knew my SO wasn't gonna be around and for me alone in the house=drinking. I threw myself a pity party instead.

Soooo I believe it's all about sticking to a new routine. I'm going to work out in the morning even though the idea makes my skin crawl a little Writing out the day's schedule, which someone suggested to me a while ago and I thought sounded great but never did. Maybe Friday night will have to be an AA meeting night, for the time being, although I didn't like my first experience. It wasn't everything I hoped it would be, but I'll tell you, it was a he11 of a lot better than last night.

So that's my plan of action.

Anybody else have ideas?
Old 08-23-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I think you're plan of action sounds good and I hope someone will have some other inspirational ideas for you. AA works for a lot for a lot of people and I think it's something everyone should try at least a few times to see if it also works for them. Plus, you're almost guarenteed a new social network of sober people if you want that. I'd love to see this turn into a positive thread again where there is real support to NOT drink.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

SelfSeeking
I had a difficult Friday night also and I do know that from now on that is a meeting night....whether it is sitting in front of the computer reading and sharing on SR or getting in my car and driving to a meeting. Friday night is a hard night to get through. Forewarned is forearmed. They know what the're talking about when they say "work out your sobriety". 7th day sober!!!
Old 08-23-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

You have a week under your belt! That's a good feeling

I live in New Orleans so AA meetings are probably the only place to go on a Friday night to be with non-drinkers... You know how most places have a Starbucks every half block? Here it's bars.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also want to see this return to being a positive thread where there is real support to NOT drink, and where everyones acknowledged.

I think you're right on Kathleen. You said it all really
D
Old 08-23-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

SelfSeeking:
Bars I can handle, but my car has a hard time passing a liquor store, so I understand! SR is a good place to go if you don't want to leave home. Like someone told me on my 2nd or 3rd day, set yourself down in front of your computer with lots of water and munchies and look around...and most importantly...SHARE!!!
Old 08-23-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

SG.....
you got a little lost on your way to solid recovery.
Geez! I did too.... many times.
That endless misery-go-round is terrible.

Please get back to basics
Blessings

Last edited by CarolD; 08-23-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-23-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

AA meetings?
Yes! they keep me enjoying my recovery.

No AA?
Find something else that keeps you sober and happy.
Start here and explore

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Not drinking today?
Good...you won over alcohol

Tomorrow?
Do whatever you did today.

Yes...You too can not only survive alcoholism
you can live healthy productive lives sober.

Moving forward takes time and effort.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

the courage of those who have this disease and continue to come back and start over on day 1 again inspires me. Thank all of you for sharing with us.:ghug
Old 08-23-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
AA meetings?
Yes! they keep me enjoying my recovery.

No AA?
Find something else that keeps you sober and happy.
Start here and explore

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
From Carol's Link:

LifeRing Home Page

SMART RecoveryŽ

Agnostic A.A. Meetings in New York City

Celebrate Recovery
Old 08-23-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm on my first day without a drink again. I'm trying to plan how I'm going to stay sober. I posted in the August group, too, and asked about whether AA was something everyone did and recommended and got a great link, apparently there are lots of us who are asking or have asked that question. Reading through the thread helped a lot.
I'm reading a book that suggested writing out how I want to be, how I want my life to be, and then write out what my mind says to me. There was all this negative stuff about how I could never accomplish any of the things I would wish for myself. Especially sobriety. I just have to start from here, not let my past failures mess with my mind and my effort to be sober. I need to remain positive.
I'm not wanting to drink, but I sure feel awful. I had a few minutes of thinking, with this sense of alarm, that if I didn't get to the liquor store tonight I would have no choice tomorrow since it will be Sunday. But it only lasted a minute and I realized how stupid it was. My goal is simple, go to bed sober and try again tomorrow. That plan will work fine for tonight. Tomorrow I'll work on a more long-term plan.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

This will be my 4th sober night since I decided to stop binge drinking. I've been pretty tempted to give in and give myself "just one more..." drunken night- especially tonight, since it's the weekend. Remembering what it was like to stumble to bed at 4 AM with nothing but sad, dark thoughts in my head is the main thing keeping me straight. Another thing is the newfound sense of clarity I've recovered in the last few days. Now that I'm rising above the fog and feeling like a living, breathing human being again, I don't want to let alcohol take that away from me.

I know I'm going to have moments where I'll be severely tested. I just hope I'll be strong enough to overcome those moments when they arrive.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

It can't be said enough, one day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time! What will you do with your hangover-free Sunday? (I like to think about how many more options I have when my gut isn't making me sorry I was born!)

In a few more hours I will be on day 1... again Fresh start!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

No reason to get through a week and punish ourselves over the weekend! This is a clip of Bill Cosby standup, it was mentioned in another thread and I had to pop over to Youtube and find it

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qYsko_tc3a0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qYsko_tc3a0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-23-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Karen! Wow!
Great to see you here again with us.