How are you all going recovey wise?

Kevin
Old 01-05-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by nogard View Post

Kevin
To add to what Kevin said, don't forget the AA/NA and Secular Recovery forums to discuss your programs.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Whoops sorry, just haven a little fun in recovery, so its going great, havnt been this happy in a 6 years
Old 01-05-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by StayinAlive View Post
Whoops sorry, just haven a little fun in recovery, so its going great, havnt been this happy in a 6 years
no need to be sorry and glad your doing well. Do you have a prgram or support? I found to my cost that doing it alone was not fun!

Kevin
Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
where the light is

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Finishing off day 20, attended my 6th AA meeting today, working with my sponsor. The meeting today was great (discussed 3rd step). I am no longer surprised at what I learn at each meeting, really amazing.

Since I am new to AA, and only starting the 4th step, I am nowhere near where I need to be in terms of living a sober life if a good way. I do feel "on edge" but I don't want to drink. I guess that will have to do for now.

I am feeling stronger each day (I only have to look at my first post in this forum to see where I came from) and I have to be very careful not to take my 20 days for granted or to think that I can become complacent. It really is one day at a time. Today was a good day and I am truly grateful for that.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 37 here =D...
Old 01-05-2008, 10:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I am feeling stronger each day (I only have to look at my first post in this forum to see where I came from) and I have to be very careful not to take my 20 days for granted or to think that I can become complacent. It really is one day at a time. Today was a good day and I am truly grateful for that.
I feel exactly the same way! On Day 21 here, and it's great so far... meeting tomorrow night should be good (first one that I've been to twice, after traveling around for xmas).

Omega - good to see you're still here mate, hope everything is going well!

I went out to watch a couple of mates play a gig last night, turns out I knew half the room (I'm a musician, and over the years I've managed to get a reputation as crazed party animal #1), I had to knock back free drinks, etc... also spoke to a couple of dudes who went for 3+ months last year just to give themselves a break.

I pretty much nodded and smiled, and just let it happen - left early, didn't talk too much, and didn't explain myself - just said I was on water (I did have one coke :o) and left it at that.

I got called weak, but I don't care - I am! haha

Very much looking forward to this year without booze, drugs, or cigarettes in my body. That's my goal at the moment, along with the everyday goal of staying sober today.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Nodrinking - you know, I think you, gravity and I share the same sober date. Your a day ahead of us down under. My last drink was on 12/16 but I count my first full day 12/17 as my sober date (birthday). Pretty cool that we all made it this far together.

Day 21 tomorrow for me. Had a really good week, feeling good, no major anxiety. Everything seems to be moving forward at it's own pace, so I'm not rushing anything. Meetings are going well, sobriety is going well and so much easier than dealing with the affects of drinking all the time.

Good to hear your doing well. Make sure stick around here with us.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Nodrinking - you know, I think you, gravity and I share the same sober date. Your a day ahead of us down under. My last drink was on 12/16 but I count my first full day 12/17 as my sober date (birthday). Pretty cool that we all made it this far together.

Day 21 tomorrow for me. Had a really good week, feeling good, no major anxiety. Everything seems to be moving forward at it's own pace, so I'm not rushing anything. Meetings are going well, sobriety is going well and so much easier than dealing with the affects of drinking all the time.

Good to hear your doing well. Make sure stick around here with us.

One addict helping another sure works. How you doing OM?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nodrinkingzone View Post
I got called weak, but I don't care - I am! haha
Just said to make you feel bad and drink with them so they don't have to feel badly.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Rob From Canada eh!!

Hey Gravity,

I am Canadian

Regards

Mayorob1
Old 01-06-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Omega - I think you're right! My first sober day start to finish was 17th December, and we're about 12 hours in front of you guys... well spotted!

Canadians - I spent 4 mths in Ontario, and a month going through the rockies/Vancouver Island/BC - it's one of the most beautiful places on Earth. You guys are lucky!

And CurliQ, you're right - and I laughed it off knowing that I just wasn't going to have a drink. I think it's Alera(?)'s sig that says "the addiction will protect itself at all costs...". I actually feel bad because I have done the same thing to other people...

Day 22, gonna get a haircut and beans for my new bean bag... got the day off work, just waking up, gonna have brekkie and go for a jog in a bit. Hope you all had a good night's sleep!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

no need to be sorry and glad your doing well. Do you have a prgram or support? I found to my cost that doing it alone was not fun!

Kevin
i have been trying to do it on my own for many years, going to doctors, taking pills and i balked at the AA program holding an unfounded prejudice against it. So when in treatment for the first time, i was given program options and i opted out of AA. Lets just say things didn't go well after i got out. It was a terrible facility anyway.
I was brought to my knees, actually to my back very quickly and was at the point i would do or try anything. Back into treatment a year latter at a different facility i opened my mind and heart up to the 12 steps which is the core of this center. By the time i was finished my 60 days i had thoroughly completed my Steps, it was a lot of work and i barley got it done in time.

I have been out now for 2 months and try to continue the routine/structure i was taught only scaled down a bit. I go to 2 meetings a week instead of 5. One of them is back at the Center. Its for clients only, present and past. It was always so encouraging to see the alumni come back to show us that it works and hear there experiences of strength and hope, we looked up too them. Thats a big part of the reason i go back, to give back. It also brings me right back down to earth in a hurry to see the faces of those battered and beaten down who have just entered treatment.

There is a good group of guys i went through with and we text encouraging comments and call back and forth all the time, meet at meetings hugs all around. Its so encouraging. Just addicts helping addicts, powerful stuff. Thank goodness for the brother hood we all can tap into world wide. My only drug of choice is alcohol so i don't get too hung up on the addict vs alcoholic thing.

Here is to another 24 yuall :ghug
Old 01-06-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
where the light is

Flood - Congrats on the 37 days. You must be feeling good

NDZ - Weak??? WTF!!! I could never have done what you did! I love live music (rock, blues), add in drinking buddies, pressure...I would have caved for sure. I'm okay at concerts but not in a bar (maybe in time). - sorry for stealing your posting style!

Omega - I'm in the same state of mind as you are - anxiety decreasing, more relaxed. Are you working the steps yet? I'm gearing up for step 4 and I was told that it will be mind blowing. Actually looking forward to it!

CurliQ - Congrats on day 17 (?)

Mayorob1 - what can I say, eh?

StayinAlive - awesome post! If you don't mind, I may ask for your help with the step work. I am really trying to get a full understanding of each step as I proceed and all perspectives are very helpful. You sound good!

Had an excellent day today (#21)! Kept busy, a lot of introspection. The self-centeredness thread in "Alcoholism" caught my eye (it applies to step 4) this morning. Kind of a humbling thing to apply to yourself but so necessary. I was feeling kind of complacent yesterday (big red flag) and this was what I needed..something recovery related to focus on. I have an out of town business trip this week and this is where the obsessing/drinking sometimes starts (eg. "well, one beer with dinner won't hurt" - and I'm back on the road to H*ll). I'll be fine. Lately, I've done most of these trips without drinking so it's not as big of a 'trigger' as it used to be. No sense of impending doom but I'll take the precautions I need to take.

Feeling good, focused on my program, sober. Can't ask for more!

Take care everyone!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Yeah - welcome Flood.

Gravy - No, I haven't started any offical step work, I don't even have a sponsor. As I've stated before, I'm not even sure if AA is for me in the long run; but at the moment, I really enjoy it. I'm sober, have no desire to drink, and feel really good. I'm reading the big book, I'm at chapter 7, (Working with Others), but I'm going to go back and start at (How it Works) again tonight.

I'm not worried about what happens next, I believe everything will come at it's own pace. I may really click with someone at my next AA meeting and they become my sponsor, who knows.

Anyway - I spent the afternoon today in a sports bar with friends watching the NFL playoff game and it honestly did not bother me at all. I mean, I didn't even think of having a beer. It wasn't until I got home and checked in here that drinking crossed my mind.

I'm weird like that, I can be around it with no problems. Other times, I'll be doing something that I would never associate with with drinking and bam, it hits me, "a beer would be good now", even though I don't want it. Weird! I wish I could get rid of those random thoughts.

All I know is that I woke up sober and I'm going to bed sober. Today was a good day!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Well, ladies and gentlemen... sounds like everything's happening the way it should, I'm glad to hear it.

Flood - congrats, I should have said it before - Day 37 is awesome. I am looking forward to my month 1st sober (and beyond), it will be the longest I have gone without cigarettes or booze in 18 years.

Omega - we do have a lot in common, I am in the same boat as you - I have a copy of the (little) big book, and I'm going to a meeting tonight, but I have not started any step work or started looking for a sponsor. I think this is something that will happen when it's time for it to happen - while I am looking forward to examining the underlying causes of my addictions, I am still just mentally house-keeping (or learning how to!) and regaining some sense of normality.

I've definitely got a buzz on at the moment of 'everything happening in its own time', and I'm not in any rush.

For example, I cleaned so much today that I was sweating; I mean, I cleaned the kitchen 'til it was better than when I moved here a year ago. I went for a run (longest distance yet!), had a haircut, didn't get any beans for my bean-bag but managed to get my fridge outside so it can finally defrost (something I've been putting off for months).

It was time I did this; I could not have done it last year, and obviously my fiance couldn't either, it just had to be done and today was a good day to do it. I have heard this referred to as 'Indian time', which is different to 'white man time', e.g. holding meetings when everyone is at the same place - not planning it, not deciding on a venue, just going "well, everyone's here - let's have a meeting, hey?" and working things out like that. Seems far more sensible than running your life to an alarm clock if you ask me...

Gravity - good luck with your business trip - I guess that for me, going and watching bands was kinda like a business trip... considering I have spent years and years in bars, often working or setting up or whatever, it was no big deal. I did start to get a bit anxious (which was weird, it's not something I usually feel), so I left. I know you can't do that when you're away, but I'm sure you'll be ok... you don't want to slip behind me and Omega do ya?

We're in this together, and I'll be thinking of both of you (and everyone else in this thread) at my meeting tonight.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Yikes, sports bars :beerchug:and rock stars!!!!! You guys are scaring me. My sobriety is way to valuable to be taking chances like that. But thats just me.

Interesting thing i found out about the steps is that they showed me my issues that i didn't even know i had as well as how to deal with them. And they continue to do so. Cheaper than the shrink i had too. Sheesh....never thought i would become a big book thumper.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

About to leave for meeting, but had to say... StayinAlive, they are THE BEST smilies I have ever seen

seeya soon!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
taking it one day at a time

I've almost had a teary moment reading this thread guys. The love and caring is just, well... wonderful to see.

I'm sure I've found a good place here and I'll def be posting up often.

2 days down and counting.....
Old 01-07-2008, 12:53 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Stayin - yeah, I wouldn't recommend people follow me and Nodrinking on our trips into the danger zone.

I'm just comfortable about what my "triggers" are.
Now you would not catch me anywhere near a bar at happy hour on a Friday - I'm at an AA meeting. Same with parties where I have to interact with people I don't know - too much anxiety at this point.

I have a fishing trip next weekend and I always drank while fishing, everyone will be drinking. I'm curious how I will handle that one. I might be packing it in real fast. I hope not, cause I love to fish.