Notices

Class of February 2023 Part 1

Old 02-15-2023, 09:40 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I hope you'll let me hang here a while. I have been feeling a little wobbly and feel like I need some support.
Still no like button? I miss the like button, but the only constant thing is change!
Old 02-15-2023, 09:45 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

@zenithboy88 I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost my cat Charlie a little over a year ago, on October 20, 2022, and I'm still sad. I have two of his pictures in the living room, and lots of reminders of him, but losing Charlie was a terrible time and I think about him all the time.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:48 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome OOTT
Any Ideas on what's got you unsettled?

D
Old 02-15-2023, 09:54 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Hey Dee,
Probably stress at work, and I feel a general physical decline from inactivity the past year. Really, everything is going well for me overall except overwork.
I feel like I could drink again, and I'm worried about it. I feel like I've drifted away from SR. SR has been one of the most important things I've ever done, and I want to be sure to never go back to how I was!
Old 02-15-2023, 09:56 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah stress can be a biggie...its great you're so self aware tho.
Can you ease back in the overwork at all?

D
Old 02-15-2023, 09:59 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

I can work more efficiently, but it's hard to cut back. My job is sort of like a marshmellow and it tends to expand with the amount of time I have. I work under strict deadlines, so there's lots of pressure. I have two projects, one due and one over, that's causing stress.
I guess I'm facing a number of first world problems!
Old 02-15-2023, 10:05 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry things are so stressful.

The expanding like a mushroom thing sounds a bit like this job.
A few years again, every minute was spent here...cos its an important job right, peoples lives at stake.

I was faced with either burning myself out or stepping back a little, allowing others to jump in, delegate some of the other things, working out what tasks were actually mine to do.

Things still work great here and I still get around to most parts of the forum - but I know when to shut it down for the day.

Dunno if that helps, but it sure helped me

D
Old 02-15-2023, 10:20 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I don't know where you find the time. You're everywhere all the time on SR! I'm so glad everyone is still here and going strong, although I think the traffic slowed down during covid. I know I drifted away but I stayed sober. I heard so many anecdotal stories about people who were staying at home from work and drinking all day. I think there's more people out there suffering now than ever before. Hopefully they'll find a way here or to other resources to help them in recovery.

One thing that's got me down is that I was supposed to run a half marathon in California last week, and I pulled out because I hadnt trained and wasnt ready. I've gone a long time without failures like that, and I'm mad at myself, although I don't know when I would had time to train. I know, I know, first world problem for sure, but I'm a competitive guy and I hated not living up to my own expectations.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:38 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't fishing for compliments LOL but thanks
What I guess I was trying to get across - to be blunt - the graveyards full of indispensable workers.

I see now pushing myself in work I was also working out some guilt for those wasted years.

I think I spent so many years drinking, I thought, somewhere in my brain, that the opposite to that was working all the hours God sent me.
but...its not - the optimal full, blessed life in my opinion, is one of balance.

Don't be too hard on yourself...its not like you were lazy and not trained...sounds like you've been really busy. man.

If nothing else, get some good headphones and blast some tunes to unwind OOTT.
D
Old 02-15-2023, 11:55 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  
RAL

Morning all

Congrats on 6 weeks BD
Congrats to everyone on another sober day

Welcome back Sam - I know just how difficult it is. I've had many 40 plus days and then picked up again. It's almost as if the initial euphoria of early sobriety wears off and I think 'now what'. It's great you're back here straight away.

OOTT welcome back and I agree with everything Dee said.

Day 22. Thursday again. Danger day but I feel ok today. Positive about the weekend ahead. Going to a SMART meeting tonight and then the Friday morning meeting which I love is back on tomorrow Sets me up for the day and the weekend. Not got plans this weekend. Jr RAL gets 3 days off school next week so we are going to Spain for a short break. hiring a car which will achieve 2 things - see many places and also support my decision to not drink. Bit of a challenge in an all inclusive hotel but I am prepared and most importantly, determined not to drink. I want to be sober more than I want to drink. I have many plans. including SR in my pocket and meeting Tuesday night before we fly, Thursday and Friday when there. I will hit a month sober when there so too much to throw away. I'm not naive though I know it will be a challenge an I've fallen before on holiday. But I've also had many sober holidays so I know I can do it. sorry but of a ramble but I may have to look back and read this next week.x

Old 02-16-2023, 02:51 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 137. Best to all today.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:58 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Hi Outonthetiles,
. I'm sorry about Charlie.
When you really bond with a pet,
They stamp their little paw prints all over your heart.
It's really hard to part with them.
A lot of folks will say," I'll never get another cat/dog, that hurt too much."
But I thinks it's best after you mourn a while, to go get another one.
There's lots of cats and dogs out there that need a good home.
The job stress is tough, I'm retired now, but what I used to do was drive home on a different route from the liquor store.

RAL- I'm heading to Spain next month also.
I'll be flying down to Miami, then taking a cruise ship across the pond.
Then I rented an apartment in Barcelona for a couple weeks.
I'll be gone for a month altogether and getting away right now will be good for me.
I am going with my sister-in-law, my daughter and her boyfriend.
They are all non-drinkers and when I'm on vac with family, I'm not tempted to drink at all.
Loneliness and boredom were two of my big triggers.
I'm just looking forward to seeing the sites and eating good food.
I hope you have a great trip.

Enjoy a nice sober day folks!
Old 02-16-2023, 04:30 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

@samwitch - stumbling is a sign that I’m off balance. It indicates a problem, but it is not the same as falling off a cliff. If you are safe in this moment, if your relationships have not been irreversibly damaged, RELAX. Easy does it. Many of us here have stumbled off a cliff and still made it back! Stumbles can bruise and frighten you, but they also teach you about the terrain and strengthen your muscles. Use the knowledge. Forgive yourself. Soldier on.

@Outonthetiles - glad that you joined!!! Work stress nearly took everything that really mattered in my life (via fueling/justifying my addiction), but now I can see that I willingly participated in the problem! I derived a HUGE amount of my self-esteem and identity from my work role, so struggling there indicated a much larger failure in my mind. I’m not saying that you think the same way, but it’s something to watch out for. I agree with Dee - if you’ve only got ONE precious life, how much of it do you want to devote to stress, struggle, and grinding? This is an area of continuous development for me.

@zenithboy88 - your trip sounds INCREDIBLE! Wow! That will be an amazing time with your sweet family! I hope you enjoy it immensely!

Hello to everyone! RAL, TakeAction, Runner, Basset, and Laza! Way to go!

I am going to transfer stations for work. Hubby is on board, and I feel good about trusting my instincts.

Hope everyone has a lovely day!
Old 02-16-2023, 06:45 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Administrator

Outonthetiles, I'm sorry about the loss of your cat, Charlie. The bond between beloved pet and owner is so strong. I also have a couple of photos of my beautiful Kai in the living room. He passed away in March 2022 and I still feel the enormity of the loss. As far as work, Dee's advice is very good and I hope you can step back just a little and give yourself time to relax a bit.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:02 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Good morning Febs, thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:53 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Hi Febs (stealing that @Outonthetiles )
I'm much less angry at myself today, thank you all for the words of support-the main thing is that I stopped the bleeding early and I'm back on the sober bus. 24 hours is not going to break me.

So, I was back to the gym this morning and made a bunch of plans for the weekend so I feel firmly back on track.

Ral, Zenith--enjoy Spain. I was thinking about going to Barcelona last summer but I bailed because I was still concerned about the travel mess that was occurring then. Seems to have resolved(except the Southwest Airline debacle over the holidays but hopefully that was a one off.)

Old 02-16-2023, 09:53 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sam, I'm glad you're back on firm ground again. Enjoy your weekend.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:09 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Day 4 . Started to feel better . Taking one day at a time . Thank you all for the great support .
Old 02-16-2023, 08:04 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hey Febs, Long day at work today, looking forward to a nice weekend. I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:53 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Day 16 today. Anxious about the weekend as I’m going out Fri & Sat w/drinkers. I won’t drink & have no concern there, but just wish I could.