Notices

Class of February 2023 Part 1

Old 02-14-2023, 09:44 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Great summary of achievements by Dee! Good to see, all the best.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:25 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
RAL

Morning all
bd that's what I like about the smart meetings. They dont focus on the past but talk about learning new skills and tools for the future.

Day 21. 3 weeks. Doesnt sound much. Inwards we go x
Old 02-15-2023, 02:10 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Thank you folks for the kind words and sympathy for the loss of my little pet. I just loved her like a baby.

. My grand-dog Lily slept over at her Papa's house last nite.
Papa gave her a scoop of vanilla ice cream and she will get a little fried up ham and eggs this morning.
Then later Papa will take her for a walk in the woods near his house.
Staying with Papa is a pretty good gig!

My grandkids always like how I refer to myself in the third person even though they are now in their late teens and early 20's.

Oh! And best of all,
Papa doesn't drink anymore!
Old 02-15-2023, 04:20 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Zenith, I’m so sorry for the loss of your sweet girl. Death is separation - not permanent, but certainly painful.

I’m glad that your grand-dog is there for you to spoil. ❤️

I’ve been working my tail off lately, and I received an unexpected offer yesterday to transfer postal stations. My current office is great, but fully staffed with younger career employees who are years from retirement. As such, my potential to move up to a regular schedule and route is years away.

The new office is a 1/2 hour commute, but I would be first in line for advancement. I really appreciate management there, and I like the employees. Two carriers ant that station are planning to retire in the next few months, so I’d likely have a career/regular route by summer. Plus, they start work a full hour and 1/2 earlier than my current station, so I’d be free in the afternoons/evenings to attend my children’s activities.

I love this job. I love being outside and independent. I love being active and useful. I love how secure my sobriety feels (ever vigilant!).

My husband is proud of me, but a bit skeptical. He can’t understand why I’d want to commute when my plan is to return to pharmacy work in the next year. But, I’m not sure about returning. At least not full-time! This was surprising to him, so he’s having to adjust his thinking a bit.

I guess most people have a certain set of expectations about what life will look like. I don’t know what mine will look like, yet, and I kind of like that!

I’m happy and content. I feel like the best path for me is to move forward AS IF my current postal career IS my path. To plan for long-term success there. Then I am well-positioned, regardless of my choices about returning to pharmacy.

Writing here to check my motives, as I am prone to push for the hardest path and susceptible to ego strokes. I appreciate all feedback.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-15-2023, 04:23 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

To those struggling sending you strength to persevere through whatever it is. Your strength is an inspiration to all here. Your willingness to put your feelings and emotions out here serve to let us know we are not alone on this journey. This helps me to know I have a place to vent and receive advice from others with shared experiences. You are appreciated more than words can express. Thank you.

Pledging for today. Day 136.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:04 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RAL View Post

Day 21. 3 weeks. Doesnt sound much.
21 days is a long time for us to go without a drink.
I keep doing this to myself too, though. Saying 46 days seems like nothing.

Those days took a lot of work!
I'm keeping them! You should too

Great going.

Old 02-15-2023, 06:14 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

3 weeks is WONDERFUL, dear RAL. ❤️❤️❤️

TC ~ I just love your outlook on life.
I am a lot older than you, but I still subscribe to that open-mindedness. I think we can be good at a lot of different things in life, and it is a gift to be able to explore our talents.

Old 02-15-2023, 06:30 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee ☺️

@zenithboy88, my dogs get the same treatment at grandpa’s house. They even KNOW what going to grandpa’s house means. My little poodle twirls around like a ballerina from excitement . It’s so so cute! I love that you have a grand pup 🤍

@ToughChoices, it sounds like a transfer would be the most ideal option. Good luck!!

Today I was surprised to see snow on the ground, let alone receive a notification I’m on a two hour delay. So I am drinking my coffee and hanging out with my fur babies this am.

I too have been tempted to have a “glass” of wine but I play the tape forward. This was especially difficult yesterday in the facade holiday of Valentine’s Day. It brought up a lot of emotions, but in any regard, I did not drink.

Day 71 today
Old 02-15-2023, 08:06 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

71 days is awesome! ❤️
Old 02-15-2023, 10:38 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hi folks-
I'm back and I'm mad at myself-or I was. I did cave on Saturday after feeling so depressed and had wine. Felt like hell --so not worth it. So I'm back on day 3, and was kicking myself for letting 40+ days slip away. But, they didn't really, I didn't drink for that long and I can do better.

And kicking myself doesn't help and could possibly lead back to a depressive state and opening myself up to wine. Okay, I AM kicking myself but I'm trying not to. I'm trying to be positive. I don't want to drink, it was so terrible.

I think I need to add in more social interaction, even though I've been avoiding it because I don't want to end up in a bar or another triggering situation. But...isolating isn't good either. I need a happy medium.

Anyway...good to "see" everyone, and so sorry Zenith to hear about your cat, and Lillian--ugh first Valentines day without your hubby. Too bad I don't live near you, I just had a fence gate blow down a few weeks ago and had to find someone to fix it. It was also a one of a kind.

Keep racking up the days folks, I'm glad to see others succeeding!

Old 02-15-2023, 10:45 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

I remember you said you do way better when you are not working from home, Sam. And the weather is getting better, and it will be much more appealing to do outdoor things after work. ❤️
Old 02-15-2023, 11:00 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I remember you said you do way better when you are not working from home, Sam. And the weather is getting better, and it will be much more appealing to do outdoor things after work. ❤️
Wow, you're right Suze, I did say that. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:16 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Isolation and loneliness can add up, so just being out of the house for work and the gym already ramps up your social interaction. ❤️
Old 02-15-2023, 11:46 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you drank Sam
It seems like you are beating yourself up, but you shouldn't do that. We've all been there.
Get back on the horse.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:59 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m glad you came back so fast Sam

D
Old 02-15-2023, 12:34 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Sam 40+ days didn't slip away unless you got really drunk , but it's a good reminder of how booze doesn't make anything better for most of us anymore , if you are miserable alcohol will just add to the misery and now you have even more problems, that's what i have been repeating to myself every day now for the last 46 days
Old 02-15-2023, 12:35 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Laza--you're absolutely right. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2023, 02:48 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Day 3 . Glad to join Feb 2023 class
Old 02-15-2023, 03:30 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Galentines is a great idea Lillian. I hope the day was too too down for you
Congrats on 3 weeks RAL 136 RunnerF 46 FiveTries and LazaB and 71 days Takeaction
welcome imtehaan and congrats on 3 days

The transfer sounds good to me, TC

welcome back Sam - I identify a lot with wanting to change my head...but alcohol was not the way to do it.
I just ended up MORE depressed.

D
​​​​​​​
Old 02-15-2023, 07:29 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Sam - sorry you had a slip. But great job coming back so quickly and not letting 1 slip up snowball into a full out binge. Remember the HALT acronym. Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. Any and all of these conditions can lay the groundwork for a slip. Being isloated/lonely is definitely a difficult thing to deal with. It sounds like you are already formulating some plans to get out more which is great! You had 40+ days so you know you can do this!

I'm checking in on day 42. Officially 6 weeks today. This is one my longest stretches of sobriety in years. It's been a hard but rewarding 6 weeks. I'm going to continue to take it a day at a time and if I don't pick up that first drink, I know things will only improve over time. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories on this forum as it has helped immensely.

I hope everyone has a great rest of their day. I'm committed to 24 more hours