Notices

Class of February 2023 Part 1

Old 02-11-2023, 10:32 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RunnerF View Post
In Florida and so sorry but need to vent. Wife is ratcheting up the “you’re so boring “ diatribe. It’s all I can do not to tell her to F*** off. Fortunately there are others here that I don’t want to make a scene in front of. This is hard enough without being chastised for it. Sorry again but had to get it out.
Man, I can relate. I've been told I'm boring by 3 different people this week. One was my wife. Rant away... you're not alone.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:35 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

End of Day 454 - Ran 11.5 kms in 80 minutes. My longest ever, very less tiredness surprisingly. Stay strong all. Good night from Seattle.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:37 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Today when I told to my friends group who are abroad that I am going to visit them in July and added that I am 450 days sober, one close friend said this - "What will we do with this sober guy?". It hurt me. Anyways..Good night
Old 02-12-2023, 12:49 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
RAL

Morning all

Laza – I hope your anxiety eases. For me, the longer I don’t drink the less I suffer with it too.

BD-I don’t use podcasts but definitely something I am looking into so also interested in the answer to your question 😊

Runner-sorry you’re having a difficult time. Dee sums it up perfectly. Are you able to speak with her when she’s sober? Not to convince her but just respect your decision. Ime it takes time for people to believe us. When I had a longer stint of sobriety at the beginning eveyrone expected it to be 'here we go again' for a week or 2. But then after a few months people just accepted didn't drink. no big deal. no question.

Tica-enjoy the ice cream! My favourite is strawberry or strawberry cheesecake 😊

Takeaction-I’m with you on the skin. Mine looks so different and Im only at day 18. Can't wait to see the changes in the few weeks and months time.

Lillian-that’s great to read you have had a good day with your family
Hope everyone has a good superbowl

Day 18. Sunday. I have no idea what I'm doing today!! Will check in later
Old 02-12-2023, 02:44 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 133(18 weeks). Continuing on despite wife of forty years lack of support. Continues to call me “boring” because I am not drinking and now losing weight due to my taking care of myself. I am trying to decide if confrontation is best or a smile and ignoring her is best. I’m a work in progress.

Thanks all for your thoughts and support. My wife is not one to express her feelings unless they are negative. She rarely if ever provides compliments or shows gratitude especially towards me. I just need to focus on my sobriety and let here feel how she wants to.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:04 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Runner- and Fivetries - it's gotta be tough to get needled about not drinking. It's that whole "losing the drinking buddy" thing.
. Have you been clear on your position earlier in the day or when they haven't been drinking?

Toughchoices- I'm guessing that you are off work from Postal duties as it's Sunday.
I hope you have one of your awesome days with family!

Basset- binge watching something you really enjoy is great. I never watched " the Office" when it was on. Binge watched last year, loved it.
My kids tell me I would like Yellowstone, I have to check it out
Tica- I'm an ice cream-holic. Now I have to find yet another forum!

Citrus and Takeaction- I hope you enjoy a lot of good Super Bowl food today. I'm jealous, just chips and dip here.

Lillian- daughter's are the best. Mine calls me almost daily. We've gotten to really bond over the years since Mama passed.

To Everyone I missed,
have a wonderful peaceful Sunday.
​​​​​​
I'm hanging in here.
I pledge another sober day

​​​​​​
Old 02-12-2023, 03:27 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

ZB. Thanks for your support. After 4 months I didn’t think I had to tell her I wasn’t drinking. She knows. I think she has this issue with me being able to lose weight rather easily if I maintain a good diet. I think I’m done trying to figure her or anyone else out. I will just deal with the behavior and treatment they give me without trying to change them. I have a hard enough time changing myself.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:50 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I’m 15 days today! Going to do this this time.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:50 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Welcome back Splash
Old 02-12-2023, 08:12 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Congrats on 15 days Splash and welcome to the group!

Zenith - I loved The Office! I too ended up binging last year when I was in isolation with Covid. That show was hilarious!

Runner - I'm sorry your wife isn't on board with the progress you're making. That must be very difficult but you seem to be doing a masterful job of sticking to your sober guns and it sounds like you are losing weight and improving mentally/physically overall. I wish I had sage advice to offer but I don't. You can only control what you can control and the thoughts/opinions of others is out of that sphere. To me, it sounds like you have made it clear this is who are you now and who you want and need to be. Maybe you can just make it known those comments she makes are hurtful?

I believe I'm on day 39. I'm pretty much over the virus I had for a couple days and I have an appointment with a dentist tomorrow to look at the painful tooth I've been dealing with for about 2 weeks now. For today, I have some work stuff I have to get caught up on, am going to take the kids shopping for Valentine's presents for my wife, hope to read my new book and might tune in to the Super Bowl for a bit. All-in-all a pretty low key day.

I wish you all the best today!

I'm committed to 24 more sober hours and won't be picking up that first drink today.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:26 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Bassetdog. Thanks for your support. I am staying focused on myself as that’s all I can control. Letting her know the comments are hurtful will only lead to her turning it back on me. She is very adept at reverse psychology. She had to be with her parents and brother. Thus I will stay my course and let the chips fall where they may.

Congrats on 39 days. Enjoy shopping with the kids and the game.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:53 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I just came back from my brothers house , we were hanging out for about 3 hours , there was 7 of us , nobody was drinking but what was interesting is that i felt completely normal and i didn't feel any cravings at all.
Usually in any social situation ( even with close family ) i feel a strong need to have a drink , or at least i need a glass of juice or water to replace the need to drink anything , i had none of those feelings today , it's a freeing feeling , so this was a good ending of Day 43 , good luck to everybody else here
Old 02-12-2023, 02:54 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

That’s great to hear, Laza! I can definitely relate to that now too. I still feel like I need to hold a drink while socializing. Crazy.

@zenithboy88, I will toast my nachos to you! I’m honestly more excited for the half time show 😬

Tomorrow is my first day back to work after being sick for 10 days! I will be in a normal mood and can’t help but wonder how many people will be hungover tomorrow. It’s a battle I no longer have to fight!! Those Monday hangovers were my absolute nemesis. I once got so scared I’d forget to to call in, that I called in on a Saturday. I don’t miss that person.

Now that I’m feeling better I’m ready to start my life again. I’m ready to dance and be active! Happy Sunday and congrats to all in your sobriety.

Day 68
Old 02-12-2023, 03:24 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Congrats to all of you on your sober days, and Let's Go Rihanna! (I am excited, too ).

Old 02-12-2023, 03:32 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

Takeaction, Day 68 is great. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and will be back at work tomorrow.

LazaB, it sounds like you are gradually changing your habits in a positive way. Good job on Day 43.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:17 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Day 8 and feeling great!

Zenith, if you haven't already started it, I would highly recommend Yellowstone. I absolutely love it!!! It starts out a little slow, but stick with it. Once you get through the first couple episodes, it starts taking off.

I enjoyed the brief discussion on picking up some hobbies. I'm going to start getting back into my favourite hobby of genealogy. I'm curious to find out if my ancestors had a history of addiction. I know my maternal grandfather was a major alcoholic and it eventually killed him. I have been told that addiction can be passed down and that it can skip a generation. Just curious, do you think that there is some truth to addition being passed down? Could it be genetic? What are your thoughts?

Hope you're all doing well!
Old 02-12-2023, 08:51 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Day 43, the guilt still gets me. It has faded somewhat but I know if I drink it will all come back full force. I’m up late watching the Super Bowl but it’s okay to be tired at work on Monday. Tired and hangover at work is a hell I never want again.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:09 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Splash29 View Post
I’m 15 days today! Going to do this this time.
Woot Woot!!!!!! That’s awesome Splash!

Hula dance celebration
Old 02-12-2023, 10:57 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagnumCat View Post
. I'm going to start getting back into my favourite hobby of genealogy. I'm curious to find out if my ancestors had a history of addiction.
Magnum,
I apologize ahead of time, but I'm kind of chuckling here.
You're putting a whole new slant on Ancestry.com!
"I found out that my great-great-uncle Jasper invented the first still down in Tennessee!"
"....and I found out that my grandfather blacked out during the Normandy Invasion!"
Drunkenology.com subscriptions will be next year's big Christmas gift!

But seriously, I get it.
Although I'm very grateful for the upbringing I had, both my parents had problems with alcohol.
Out of myself and 3 siblings,
I was a huge drunk.
My older brother died last year of Alcohol related reasons.
And my older sister also had a major problem,
But Thank God, quit 7 years ago.
My great-great-grandfather emigrated to US from Switzerland in 1846 and is buried in the Civil War veterans section of Buffalo NY forest lawn.
He died at age 52, I'm not sure what of?
I will eventually go to Vital Records and find out.

So Yes,
I agree with you.
The cards are stacked strongly against a person with a family history of alcoholism.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:23 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
RAL

Morning all
Welcome back Splash
Nature v nurture. I do believe that we are genetically disposed to things- metabolism, certain types of cancer more likely to get it if a relative had it. though I think nurture and learned behaviour play a major part.

Monday, day 19. Relieved to have got through another weekend sober. Last full week at work for 2 weeks. Jr RAL has half term next week gets Weds-Friday off school so going away for a couple of days. Hiring a car. No drinking. Will sight see and have a fun time
Hope everyone has a good day