Notices

One Year & Over Part 87

Old 08-01-2022, 01:06 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Taking pair of our bodies seems like a constant fight. Sigh. Sadly there is just no substitute for diet and exercise. Personally I wish there was.

I have been house cleaning this morning which will be nice going forward. Unfortunately no exercise (yet) today.

I'm headed out for a bit of gardening which, at least is off the couch. The heat will probably drive me back in but I need to get outside after my indoor cleaning session.

Keep at the mortal coil all in spite of the many tangles it will present.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:48 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs

I’m feeling guilty listening to your good and successful attempts at losing weight and getting fitter. The asthma restricts my exercise, and now I feel like I’m making excuses. I was always fit and healthy (scept for the boozing) until I got the asthma. It slowed me down so now I can’t even walk fast.
I’ll get off my soapbox now.

We’ve had some rain in the last hour , well needed for the gardens.

Have a good day my friends xxxx
Old 08-02-2022, 01:49 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

I think weight issues bedevil many of us. Over the years I’ve seen the percentage of overweight people increase dramatically in this country. I think it’s likely a multi factorial issue: poor eating habits, lack of exercise, many bad chemicals in our food and water, etc. I remember when an obese individual was rare. At most one person in a high school class was even overweight. For several years we had no obviously overweight individual in any of my classes. Most of us certainly didn’t meet body perfection standards in other ways but we focused on these other features. It was one single medication I was on for 5 months that resulted in rapid weight gain of about 75 lbs. Prior to that I was around 105-110 lbs. I worked on it for years and never got more than 10-15 lbs off until I had gastric bypass. Then a medication problem blew that. I still keep working at it. I didn’t mean to get so lengthy - it’s a major hot button for me.

Bekind, when I don’t exercise regularly, I notice I’m depressed more and when I’m depressed, I don’t feel like exercising (and eat more).

Mags, the effects of asthma are surely a bummer!

Ah well, onward to another day of getting on with my attempted self-improvement efforts.

Have a terrific Tuesday, Overs
Old 08-02-2022, 07:01 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Ugh Saskia, that self feeding cycle of depression and inactivity is the worst. Ugh.

It is a soggy mountain morning here. Soggy is a good thing in these parts.

I managed to do some solid house cleaning yesterday which is nice. Today, I'm hoping for some sewing, working on the stairs and a bit of exercise.

Here's to a good August for all!
Old 08-02-2022, 12:05 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Sass, I'm not as full of energy as you seem to think! I'd love to be bone idle but at the moment I don't have the choice! I also know that I need to improve my exercise: eat ratio so getting into a routine helps with that. It also helps with my depression to keep to a routine and to exercise regularly.

I do feel more people are making bad choices food wise and also are eating emotionally, using food to compensate. Some health authorities here in the U.K. are prescribing exercise and providing free council gym membership for depression.

I agree with all you said Sass, and it grieves me to see a parent allowing a child to become grossly obese, to me it is definitely a form of child abuse, and makes it so hard for a child starting out in life with both their health, their psychology and their learned behaviour.

I did lose weight with Paul McKenna's book 'think yourself thin' which is all about the psychology of eating. It's about eating mindfully, putting your cutlery down as you chew each bite, stopping when you begin to feel full and ensure you are enjoying every mouthful. If you aren't enjoying it, stop eating. He says you can eat what you want when you want if you just eat this way.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:07 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs

Toots I read Paul McKenna’s book years ago. It was helpful. I think I’m going to start yoga again. I’ve had a lot of day ones but need to progress more than that. I’m not going to hit the floor running but just do one step at a time. Think this time I’ll use my sobriety tools to help me.

My Pity party is over. Mags means business.

Sun’s has just come out. A bit breezy and I think we’ve had rain in the night. It has that fresh feeling outside.

Have a good Wednesday my friends. xxxx Hey we’ve not seen the camel lately.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:40 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Mags, it’s been ages since we saw the camel on Hump Day!

Good ideas, Toots - thanks. The excess weight has never stopped bothering me, largely because I know just how unhealthy it is.

Bekind, I’m just trying to put one foot in front of the other and keep going. I do have some joys n my life that help compensate…

Hi to all and gave a Happy Hump Day

Old 08-03-2022, 04:21 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I think the camel is overdue for an appearance!
Hump-Day Camel
Old 08-03-2022, 04:26 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

I have been off the grid. A fav auntie died Sunday, she was 90...it was on the cards, she was hospitlaised recently for a bad fall and caught COVID. Whilst her death is sad and I grieve for her, my little voice of bad tidings kicked in. My aunties family, warts and all are rallying, which is great. On my day of being revived/placed in an induced cma, my family were nowhere to be seen. I felt such a feeling of sadness anf loss. A culmination of everything I have fought or worked through, memories,etc. This is not, I think self pity. It just is.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:49 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss Peej, though sounds like she had a long life. Be strong my friend
Old 08-04-2022, 12:14 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs

PJ, sorry for your loss.

Sunny here. Birds are quiet, dunno why.

Having a bit of a spring clean. My friend (of 58 years) and her hubby (he’s a friend too) are coming over tomorrow. I’ve warned them I’m upside down but they don’t mind. Hopefully we’re going to lunch where they do gluten-free lunches too. Fingers crossed they’re thorough in everything. Don’t want Mr. Mags ill again.

The place is near where we’re going to live so going to drive past so they know where it is. Still waiting for the deeds. One day Thomas meat will come in little boxes. (An advert for oxo cubes when I was a kid) One day we’ll get the keys.

I imagine Andy had the bread in the oven by now. Enjoy.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:46 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss, PJ.

FBL, I almost missed the link
Mags, “one day the deeds will come!

Hi Toots and everyone else
Old 08-04-2022, 05:28 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

PJ

Fran went into the hospital on Sunday with Covid/pneumonia. She was scheduled to be released yesterday afternoon. She's a fighter, for sure!

Have a Thunderous Thursday, overs!
Old 08-04-2022, 09:45 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Condolences for your loss PJ.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:22 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

PJ, it sounds like both a loss and a touch on an old wound. From what I understand, a death can have us revisiting other deaths. In your case PJ, the revisited death sounds like your own death at that terrible time.

I suppose living a sober and constructive life means we link our lives to others. (folks with a vocation to be hermits might be different). Even though I didn't meet them, the deaths of Anne, Rusty Zipper and Desert Eyes still affect me. Pj and the rest of you, I am certainly not your family but your death and/or disappearance from here would still hit me. I have a possibly inappropriate request; could you all please give your real name and contact info to someone on this forum? If any of you wind up in hospital and headed for the other side, I want to know. We all have relational links that, in my book, call for rallying. PJ, if you wind up back in that hospital bed, I (and my warts) want to rally for you. That goes for everyone of you.

Peace to you all.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:53 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BKA

I understand the fear, but its mostly groundless - the long term regulars here make friendships and are usually in contact with someone in the 'real world' who lets us know if something happens.

Anna has my contact details - I'm not planning on it, but if anything happens to me, rest assured you guys will find out

D
Old 08-04-2022, 08:37 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Hi Overs -

((((PJ))))) - Sorry for your loss and what is triggers for you on top of it. Sounds like a rough one. I think that you’ve come a long way and are ultimately writing a different ending to your story.

Dee - thx! Makes me feel better to know that.

Bekind - glad that you enjoyed some respite with happy thought accomplishments

Dickerson - Yay! Congrats! You are on your way

Saskia - Thx for sharing your story. Quite interesting.Im still holding on to extra weight from alll the things.

I’ve had 2 whole weeks (well except for those 3 days of K home with stomach flu) to actually get work done and catch up and it feels amazing to not have the wheels come off. I feel so much better to not be trying to run from emergency to emergency like I have been since last fall.

night everyone!
Old 08-05-2022, 12:38 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

SE I hope life is settling down at last for you
Mags, it's beyond a joke you having to wait so long for her to locate the deeds. At least going forward they will be digitalised so no issue in future!

we are going to play Gleneagles today, the Kings course. It's one of the most renown courses in Scotland ( and is attached to a very posh 5* hotel) I'm a bit daunted, but will enjoy my game however! It's only me and hubby so no pressure on how I play other than I'd really like to play it well.

FBL I trust Fran will recover quickly, I'll bet she misses her husband though.

Bekind, I did ask hubby once if he would come here and post if anything happened to me, perhaps it's time for a reminder! I am IRL Ft friends with some here, but if something happened suddenly I'm not sure they would know. I hate that Andy just disappeared after those consistent daily visits, I'd love if he popped in just to say he's ok even if he never wanted to come back!

Have a good one all
Old 08-05-2022, 12:42 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs

FBL, thanks for the camel.

Bekind, I can pm you my mobile no if you like. I’m on WhatsApp so any texts are free. (I love technology (most times) )

4 years ago when I have two respiratory arrests the docs said they lost me and got me back. Phew. When I think back it used to make me fretful until I mentioned it to my work colleague, who said. “You’ve got another 8 lives then Mrs”. I turned my thinking around that I’d survived it unlike many others. Now I don’t worry about it. I’m armed with meds if it should happen again.

My friend and hubby are coming over today. She’s been my friend since I was six and moved next door to her, which was many many full moons ago. We can always carry on where we have left off. She’s a good and dear friend.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:46 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Magsie

Toots, yeah it’s taking ages but it’s the councils and they can take up to 12 weeks apparently. Brilliant you’re playing golf at Gleneagles. Have a fantastic time.
I wonder what happened to Andy too, and I wonder if he pops in as a guest sometimes. Be nice to hear from him to say he’s ok.