Notices

Class of December 2021 Part 2

Old 12-27-2021, 02:16 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Hi all-
I'm feeling a bit wobbly now. Really fighting the drinking urges. Figured I'd come on here and post instead of giving in to the AV which is telling me--I'm super worried about a friend with health issues and a doc appointment tomorrow--that wine will help me calm down and relax. And one more night can't hurt, I can always quit tomorrow after the "stress" is over. But that's the thing isn't it? It's never over, there are always going to be challenges. I'm holding strong--actually just writing this helps.
Hi Sam - don’t do it! It’s an illusion, you ll be calm for 15 minutes, then you ll worry about drinking, and about your friend, and tomorrow you ll be worried about both these things and hangover!

Not worth it, stay strong there!
Old 12-27-2021, 02:18 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Hi samwitch

Stay strong, you can do this. I had a wobble earlier but the feeling passed and I'm so glad I didn't drink. Keep posting until the urges subside, which they will.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:26 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

So many lies our heads can tell us....we need to ignore the noise.
Think about why you want to be sober.....there are a lot of good reasons Sam. s ❤️
Old 12-27-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Hi all-
I'm feeling a bit wobbly now. Really fighting the drinking urges. Figured I'd come on here and post instead of giving in to the AV which is telling me--I'm super worried about a friend with health issues and a doc appointment tomorrow--that wine will help me calm down and relax. And one more night can't hurt, I can always quit tomorrow after the "stress" is over. But that's the thing isn't it? It's never over, there are always going to be challenges. I'm holding strong--actually just writing this helps.
Hang in there. Glad you posted here instead of giving into the AV. You're right, there's always going to be challenges. But you can overcome them without drinking.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:31 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Hooked up to an IV again as I'm trying to sleep. Oh, I hate hospitals. Oh well, Wednesday isn't too far away and I'll be free. And I never have to wind up here because of alcohol again.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:56 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Yeah I might do some sort of group, maybe SMART. AA was never a great fit for me, I tried it on and off for a few years.
SMART was great for me a few years back.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:05 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

5 days in. Just had a call from a friend who spent the day at the bar yesterday for football. He says his car was parked sideways in the spot and he is embarrassed because this is a condo community at the beach (I also own a condo in same community, but it is a second home so I'm not there currently). He is my drinking friend. But I love him also like family. But our common connection is partien. I've told him I'm not drinking but I think he forgets because he is already asking me if we go get drinks as soon as I get back to my own condo at the beach in the same community. My instinct goes to the good times we have. It is so much fun and I still want to maintain our friendship but it won't be the same. I feel a loss and sadness like someone is dying because I can't seem to think it will be the same if I'm not also drinking. This isn't my first rodeo I know how it goes. Am I really missing out? Maybe he wants to change and I can be the beacon of light? This is going to get really difficult when I get down there. Everyone is my age, no kids or empty nest and care free beach bums... (Although, we are all smart property owners so not really bums).
Old 12-27-2021, 03:10 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

I guess the only thing you can do is try hanging out with him without drinking yourself and see what it's like? Maybe it's a bit early in your sobriety for that though.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:43 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  
Administrator

I lost a lot of drinking buddies Misc but my true friends understood if I kept drinking I would die.
Time will tell which camp this guy is in.

Fun and friendship do not vanish when we get sober, it's often a little different maybe but it's definitely not a loss in my experience.

D
Old 12-27-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes for a good result for your friend Sam - and no, I think drinking would ramp up your anxiety probably.
You can only do what you think is best Red - try and not write yourself off today tho.

D
Old 12-27-2021, 03:54 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Hooked up to an IV again as I'm trying to sleep. Oh, I hate hospitals. Oh well, Wednesday isn't too far away and I'll be free. And I never have to wind up here because of alcohol again.
Oh FF--I wish you the best! Hang on, Wednesday will be here before you know it--I get the hating hospitals thing.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:58 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misc72 View Post
5 days in. Just had a call from a friend who spent the day at the bar yesterday for football. He says his car was parked sideways in the spot and he is embarrassed because this is a condo community at the beach (I also own a condo in same community, but it is a second home so I'm not there currently). He is my drinking friend. But I love him also like family. But our common connection is partien. I've told him I'm not drinking but I think he forgets because he is already asking me if we go get drinks as soon as I get back to my own condo at the beach in the same community. My instinct goes to the good times we have. It is so much fun and I still want to maintain our friendship but it won't be the same. I feel a loss and sadness like someone is dying because I can't seem to think it will be the same if I'm not also drinking. This isn't my first rodeo I know how it goes. Am I really missing out? Maybe he wants to change and I can be the beacon of light? This is going to get really difficult when I get down there. Everyone is my age, no kids or empty nest and care free beach bums... (Although, we are all smart property owners so not really bums).
Hey Misc--maybe you can be that beacon of light. I firmly believe that no one has a good time drinking alcohol--it's an illusion. Maybe you can be the example?
I'm sure hearing this from someone who 3 hours ago was wavering about having a drink seems ridiculous, but I do really believe you could be the the one who forges the path.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:58 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Yeah I might do some sort of group, maybe SMART. AA was never a great fit for me, I tried it on and off for a few years.
That sucks!
Old 12-27-2021, 04:00 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the replies and the comments: I did not drink and the urge is gone. Also so funny how that works, right? It seems unbearable to go without a drink but "ride the wave" and the urge goes away.
Old 12-27-2021, 04:23 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Sam
D
Old 12-27-2021, 05:43 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

I had a nice date night with my husband tonight. We got fondue from a local old tavern. Really cozy place with a fire. I’m not going to lie I did get an urge or 2, but I quickly squashed them out. I was able to enjoy a decaf cappuccino and one of their speciality desserts (will have to run that one off later)

Now we’re relaxing on the couch and I’m about to make another cup of tea. Tomorrow I start a new role at the company I work for. It’s a whole new world and I’m excited for all the new things to learn.

much love to you all especially to those who just joined. Welcome!
Old 12-27-2021, 05:50 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes on your new role Bodhi

D
Old 12-27-2021, 07:35 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Sounds like a very nice night Bodhi. Best wishes from me as well on your new role tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:37 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Congrats on not drinking Sam.i
Old 12-27-2021, 08:05 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Day 5. Last full day in hospital hopefully then free tomorrow. Really excited to get out and start my new life proper.