Notices

Class of May 2021 Support Thread part 6

Old 10-11-2021, 06:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Willow, as much as I hate to, I am going to try the squirt bottle. He is not just obsessed with the food, but the attention too. I got to sleep till 4am this morning because my husband had to get up early. My daughter heard him start this morning and she grabbed him about 2:45 and put him in bed with her and all he wanted was some love. She leaves her door open a bit so he can get in but it is like he forgot she was there to sleep with.

Maybe the water bottle will get him to remember to go get some comfort with her. The only problem that I have with the water bottle is that he was so abused before we got him and it really took him a good 2 years to become completely comfortable with us. I don't want to make him afraid of me, but then again, I can counter balance that and still get some sleep.

I do feel better today, really all around feel better today so that is good. I walked 2.3 miles this morning also. I surprised myself. I think I mentioned that we don't have sidewalks here so I have to just walk on the road and off the side of the road when a car comes. My balance stinks but I am out there doing it anyhow. I have my phone and the emergency setting so if I fall, I fall. I can't wait for my back to get fixed and I have to get this weight off and blood moving. I will test Covid+ till at least December because of the antibody treatment and so no doc will touch me. Maybe walking will help make it better? IDK. For years I used to walk 5 miles a day through our subdivision and I am so surprised that I made it past 2 miles already. We will see how tomorrow goes and how much sleep I get!

I am glad that our mornings are a bit cooler, lower 70's 🙄. Our bears have been out in full force lately. We had one through the yard right before my husband left for work this morning! The neighbors are not taking care of their garbage and there are bags strewn over a lot of lawns. One neighbor told me he started putting his in his garage but a Mama and baby played in his yard for about an hour and a half last week. M, across the street, said that the Mama and baby were on his front porch one night about 2 weeks ago and stayed on there longer then he liked. I am glad they just cross our yard and I am glad for Petey. The bears will not go near garbage with cat ammonia litter smell. I am glad that Petey is a Stinky Cat, he is saving us having our fence broken down. We just have a wood privacy fence and those bears can rip it down like a piece of paper.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:39 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

2.5 miles, Onething??!! YGG! I don’t think I could pound out 2 miles right now. I do a few short walks.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:16 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Walking is great! I really need to do more of it….
The bears would scare me though. I think I would be scared to walk anywhere. I didn’t know that about cat pee keeping the bears away, that’s really interesting. They wouldn’t come near our place either, our Petey is a stinky cat too

Onething I understand about not wanting to upset Petey with the squirt bottle, especially as a rescue cat, and him taking a while to trust you. Hopefully he feels secure enough in your love that it won’t be an issue 🤔 but maybe check with a cat behaviour person? Or maybe he’ll go and sleep with your daughter instead. It’s a tricky situation. Maybe you should ask your vet what they think?

It’s Tues morning and I have to go to work. I’m so tired all the time, I find it really difficult to get up in the morning. I’m trying to get up early enough to exercise a little before work, but it’s a real chore! I’m way too exhausted after work, so it’s morning or not at all. Ok here goes….
Old 10-11-2021, 05:50 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I hear you, Willy. I’m a slow starter. I used to be such an early bird in my younger days. Hope you got your bit of exercise in and it perked you up.

It was good for me to have the whole family together for 36 hours. My mood has been less anxious, and I’ve had some energy to do a few things. I made an amazing looking and smelling apple pie tonight. It has a crumb topping, per my son’s request. We’re waiting for it to cook a bit more. I’ll post a pic.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:51 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Old 10-11-2021, 10:38 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Oh yum Phoebe! I love apple pie

I did manage 20 minutes yoga this morning which was great. If only I could do it every day. Last week I did 10-20 minutes 4 days last week too, so I’m getting there
Old 10-12-2021, 06:01 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Good for you Willow!

Im up, and already put my sneakers on. Going to walk after my coffee. I was a bit lazy, reading on my phone in bed this morning.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:51 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Oh Pheobe, that pie looks heavenly! Apple pie is my absolute favorite, even over cookies!

Husband is home today and we walked 2.15 miles. We did not get up to my turning point. I should be ashamed but there is a little old man who has now started walking with his tiny dog with a walker and I didn't want him to see me. It is great that he is out walking and he really is looking for someone to talk to. At this point, I just want to keep walking, lungs breathing and heart pumping. I was told he lives alone now and his son visits him a couple of times a week. I guess I should make some time to just visit with him. Old men are neat, lots of cool stories and so thankful for the company. I feel that way some time. I need to put it on my list.

Now, I am beginning to think I need to make a journal about the life of Petey! Who knows, best seller? Probably not.

Last night he was something. We have 3 full baths in our house and I keep my meds in the spare bathroom. My husband was ready for bed so I went and took my meds, checked in on FB and was about 10min behind him. Husband was sitting on the bed reading his emails and FB and I walked in with the door cracked open and Petey sprawled out on my side of the bed, on his back taking up as much bed space as he could. I looked at husband and said, you let him in. He looked at me and said no, I let him in. Not the case, Petey is quite skilled in opening the door and made himself comfortable!

I took out the water bottle and tested the spray, not on him but enough that he could feel the mist in the area. He just looked at me. He is no stranger to the water bottle, it seems. He is so thick with fur that I put it on stream and just spraying it parallel to him was enough for him to get the hint. He slept at my feet all night, woke me at 3am, I petted him and he settled back down and I got to sleep till 5. We will see how tonight goes.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:52 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Yes! I can see it now!

”The life and times of Petey Puss”

Or “Purrrfectly Petey”

Or simply “Monster Cat”

I’d read it, for sure. He’s such a character
Old 10-12-2021, 08:55 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I’m inspired to bake now. I sat down and re-drafted my favorite cake recipe. It’s a weird one! But really good. It is a chocolate cake with beet pulp in it and it is vegan. It doesn’t sound delicious but it is I swear. I love this weird cake.

I think my ex who I am still hurting over might be seeing someone now. It’s really hurting. So I’m trying to process that and get through it. Incidentally I’m trying to use some of my ex’s techniques — make it funny somehow and ignore the pain! Trying

it always arrested our progress. His diversion from really feeling anything. But as someone who feels so much all the time I think I could employ a little bit of it to push through. What do you think?

Old 10-12-2021, 10:33 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hugs for everyone who needs them

D
Old 10-13-2021, 05:40 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Plenny. I think humor can definitely help ease our pain and stress. However, using it to extreme, as your ex did, can interfere with getting to real issues. So it’s definitely worth exploring finding a balance there. To add some levity to my situation, I tasked my daughter with procuring me some fun wigs at her job. She’s working at a seasonal Halloween store. 😊
Old 10-13-2021, 08:30 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Plenny, your Mr. Right will come along, especially when you least expect it. He is out there, waiting and you will find each other. It is just the way it works. Life will unfold just as it needs to.

Willow, great titles for books! This morning Petey story...he met the water bottle this morning. We did go to bed and locked the door and at 3:45 I heard scratching and loud crying. I opened the door and got'em. He has been one sad fella this morning . Now I really couldn't get back to sleep fully, I felt so bad about it but he did wait till 4:45 and sat at our door and had pitiful little meows. He has let me love him so he is not holding a grudge. Maybe not locking the door would be a good idea for tonight. I have to think about this one.

I didn't walk today 😞. I am so sore and have quite a cough this morning so it off to the pharmacy to get some cough medicine. I am not feeling that badly though. I just need to take a break.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:45 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hugs back Dee

Plenny I think a little humour can help us look at the lighter side of things. Like Phoebe said, it’s all about balance. Hugs to you

Phoebe, you can play around with all sorts of hair colours and styles, what fun! A friend of mine who went through surgery, followed by rounds of chemo and then radiation (she’s 100% fine now ❤️) played with turbans. She had a different one for each outfit, they looked fabulous When her hair grew back, it came back curly (it used to be straight!) and she absolutely loves it and has grown it longer now. She always wanted curly hair and says it’s her reward for going through breast cancer ❤️

Onething, hopefully you and Petey can find some balance too. I hope your cough settles down soon.

I’m still trying to do morning exercise, with varying success lol. Yesterday it was 10 minutes, the day before 20. I figure as long as I do something, that’s a lot better than previously which was nothing I’m also trying really hard to ditch the sugar, which is mostly working except the last couple of Sundays I have splurged on sugar. That’s also better than every day! So I’m getting there. Sundays are always my most challenging day not to drink, so if I’m really struggling I would rather relent on my diet with some sweets rather than compromise my sobriety.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:50 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Morning guys

I’ll be away this weekend at our bush block. We’re trying to get a water tank hooked up to collect rainwater for drinking from the roof of our little cabin. We need to put up some gutters and pipes and get it all connected. The wet season is coming so hopefully we can get it done before the big rains. It’s been so dry lately, but it rained last night! It was so lovely to hear the rain on the roof.

I will check in with you all when I get home on Sunday. Have a good weekend
Old 10-14-2021, 04:41 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

good luck with the plumbing willow

D
Old 10-14-2021, 05:04 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee
Old 10-14-2021, 06:08 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Willow, it sounds like a lovely, peaceful retreat!

Hi everyone. I’m doing ok. Exhausted from appointments, and a few more tomorrow. One test next week, and might be ready to begin treatment the next week. Just a quick update.

Hope everyone is doing well! 💕
Old 10-14-2021, 08:32 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi all. I hope everyone’s feeling better/ok/acceptance/resolve/hope/knowing that down feelings are waves just like all feelings…

working on all of these myself too.

I had a busy day. A “day off” which really consisted of a long to do list, I checked it off almost like a game. Didn’t finish everything but that’s mainly because I had to throw in a few new items. Yoga. Dog park. Studio time. Unexpected visit to the vet. Farmers market. A little food prep. Doggy bath time. More studio time. Hit a zoom meeting. Make a birthday card for my niece, put $20 in it. Don’t forget to bring it to the post office tomorrow. Don’t forget to bring the sandwich to work. Eat ice cream instead of taking a hot bath. No reason just less work. Go to bed….

I really hope I can make myself a day to zone out a bit. My brain does need open ended time to space out. For now, being sober and trying to meditate is working. Gratitude is working.

everyone keeps telling me gratitude lists got them through difficult times.

I’m starting the ritual in my kitchen in the mornings… maybe will switch to nights so it can help me sleep…
Old 10-15-2021, 06:16 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good Morning All! I got to sleep this morning. Petey went to my daughter for food 🤣. He doesn't like the water bottle at all. Wednesday night he got in bed again with us and I showed him the bottle was right next to me and he crawled off to the other side of my husband in the bed. He has gotten the message.

I felt better yesterday and so far today. I want to put the inhaler away, the steroids are starting to get to me. My husband has been home but he felt awful yesterday. His kidneys were really bothering him. We are going to see some friends today for lunch and I wanted to cancel but he insists. He has got to get that kidney stone taken care of.

Willow, I hope your weekend goes well, it does sound nice.

Phoebe, I am thinking about you! The different color hair sounds cool. Honestly, I am thinking of letting mine grow out, it will be white. My SIL has beautiful hair and has colors put in it all the time. I may just give it a try.