Notices

Class of May 2021 Support Thread Part 4

Old 07-29-2021, 02:44 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

That’s a lot of news for you and your husband to take in One Thing. I think the healthy diet is doable too, with some small adjustments, I think it can be delicious. I take my lunch to work every day and am trying to make it healthy. Chicken or salmon and veggies. Both to reduce cholesterol and to help with depression. Hopefully weight loss too

Phoebe I hope the down feeling lifts for you soon. I’m also familiar with feeling down. I just posted a big long post about my own depression and how I’m trying to tackle it with diet, exercise and supplements, in the May 2020 thread. I would post it here, but I’m wary of spamming threads. I tend to do that with photos a bit too… I have been reading a lot (I googled depression after quitting drinking, depression and alcohol use and a few similar things) and I’ve started taking some of the advice. Healthy nutritious low sugar, high fibre diet, vitamin supplements and exercise. Fingers crossed…..
Old 07-29-2021, 02:55 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

No one would ever accuse you of spamming Willow love, just saying.

I am going to reiterate though, because I know you know this.....sugar in excess is just a nightmare for our bodies and brains.
Fast highs, huge lows, and depression that is literally caused by the crash. So I have to stop now because I am leaning into medical stuff, but the way we were taught to eat in Aus is the way to go....the food pyramid. So we know this stuff.

My best advice is to treat yourself as if you are your own child....so you can say: love, you have had enough.
I find that works well, and I find loving myself is getting me there way better than admonishing myself ever did. xx
Old 07-29-2021, 03:06 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Thank Suze ❤️
I’m trying to completely cut out the super sweet stuff for now. It’s easier to not eat it at all than eat a little. I actually really like fruit, and when I have quit refined sugar in the past, I found I really enjoyed fruit even more! So I’m going shopping today and I will treat myself to some of the more delectable (and expensive) fruits. Apples, oranges and bananas are the staples here,but I’m going to get some blueberries, strawberries and maybe some stone fruit
And have them in moderation. I don’t tend to overeat fruit like I do with lollies…
Old 07-29-2021, 03:14 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

I always buy the good fruits....the berries and such, and I cannot eat apples or bananas due to the insane sugar content.
Don't forget the kiwis love....they are so so so good for you

I spent copious amounts of money on alcohol and I regret that, but now I am spending my money on berries. And organic vegies. And they are expensive but I am worth it. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-29-2021, 03:39 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

So true about the wasted money on alcohol, and certainly much better spent on quality food.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:49 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words y’all. And the open talk about depression. It is helpful. I am very up and down. But still relishing the good simple things.

I am definitely going to need to re-incorporate some exercise into my life! But it will have to be free. My income has dipped pretty low. So I will probably be trying to work in some dancing. It checks a lot of the boxes for me: exercise, stretching, spirituality, confidence. It works all those muscles. I’ll need to find some online instructors I like. I don’t know if I ever mentioned before that I was a belly dancer in my previous life. I think getting back into that in the privacy of my own home would be good for me
Old 07-29-2021, 08:52 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Sue I’m with you on the veggies! A healthy digestive system is also linked to lower depression, as much of our dopamine and serotonin are produced there as a byproduct of good plants we eat
Old 07-29-2021, 08:58 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

So true! And I bought some yogurt and other probiotic rich stuff as well as blueberries, strawberries and cherries. And lots of broccoli , bok choy, green beans, carrots and sweet potatoes, and lean meats, and yummy altlantic salmon.

I did 20 minutes of yoga this morning, so that’s an improvement! Plenny I did belly dancing for a while, it really was fun I’m going for a walk soon too.
I have today off work which is soooo good!
Old 07-29-2021, 11:06 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

I just returned from a 50 minute walk on the beach and feel more clear headed which is nice. I pretty much had the beach to myself because it was a week day and the middle of the day (well 3pm).
A glorious winter’s day
It was so good to have a day off work just for me. That hasn’t happened in a while, usually I’m doing doing doing stuff. I really needed some me time, I think it’s something I need to find time for more often

Old 07-30-2021, 04:54 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Oh wow.....I am saving that pic. So magnificent.

And awesome you dear Willow!!!! And you too Plenny....I need to up my game today.

Old 07-30-2021, 04:56 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Willow, that’s a gorgeous beach! How close is it to your home?! Beaches here are sooooo crowded, plus, I live an hour away from any. I do live pretty close to Walden Pond, but that also gets filled to capacity most nice days. It’s a huge tourist attraction.

I walked twice yesterday. The first walk was a dud, because we got rained out and cut it very short, but, I was with daughter and dog, which was nice for all 3 of us. Then J, dog, and I did a walk after J got home from work. One full lap, which still isn’t far, but I got out moving twice. I’m putting on my sneakers straight away when I go downstairs, so it’s extra easy to pop out for just a quick walk.

I did great going low carb all day, but failed last night. Next time I think I’ll just go brush my teeth and go up to bed, rather than get into the ice cream.

We had two parties scheduled for this weekend. We decided to cancel going tomorrow. It’s an hour away, and daughter is leaving tomorrow. We’ve not had much time together, so decided to skip the party and spend some time with her, and hopefully son. He also has work and needs rides, so, that made attendance to that party easy yo cancel in general. Tonight, is round 2 for the recent graduate of dear friends. We love seeing them and don’t often enough. They do love to party, though, and the food will be a challenge. I’ll choose food as the indulgence, if temptation strikes.

But, I’m really trying to set my mind on a total lifestyle change with my relationship with everything I put in my mouth. It’s always been addictive, even food. The kids like a lot of junk…I cleaned out the snack shelf, so there’s only a few crackers right now, but no chips or cookies. We ALWAYS have ice cream. Sigh…
Old 07-30-2021, 05:09 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I think having one sweet treat in the house is OK.....

And fantastic stuff dear Phoebe....two walks in one day is pretty good. And I like the way your weekend is working out.
I hope you have a lovely family day today and a fabulous meal tonight. ❤️
Old 07-30-2021, 06:34 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

I need to follow the good example you guys are displaying, I would probably feel much better.

I am glad you are going to get to spend time with your daughter Phoebe. I know that means so much to you! I do so understand the feelings of depression you guys have talked about. I am not doing so hot in that department, waves of depression just wash over me because of situation with son. There isn't a darn thing that I can really do about it that would be effective. In reality, I could take her 6 page rage filled letter and the texts and file a police report for harassment and threats but it wouldn't solve anything but create more drama and a legal bill. I don't like feeling so hopeless over all this. If, or I should say when, this happens again, I will need to do something to protect us from her and her disease. The thing is she doesn't have the ability to stop and we don't have the strength to take this abuse.

I really should get my fanny out and walk also. They just created a 3.5 mile trail near us that I can actually walk on. The heat of the day is too much and the pain in my back is pretty harsh, but I could walk some. I do need to eat better too. My husband's diet is good for me but I am relying too much on my stash of cookies. Right now I have strawberries, blueberries, and cherries in the house that my husband and daughter snack on and I should join them. I am relying too much on refined sugar to kill my cravings and temporally lift my mood.

No doc appts today! My husband and I did get an automatic message from our dentist's office that it is time for our 6 month check. We both looked at each other and said no. Lord knows we have had enough of doctor's, tests and office visits. Our teeth can wait a couple of months.

So, on with today. Tuna salad for lunch and chicken wings for dinner. Now chicken wings are not the best choice, but I have had them marinating for about 5 days in a special Greek marinate that my husband loves. This is his last hurrah, so to speak. I made the marinate using avocado oil myself this time, so that is good. I will have his carrots, celery and corn on the cob with it, so I guess it isn't as bad as it could be.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:42 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Chicken wings are fine I think.... All of it sounds fabulous love.
And just a thought....walking might be not great for your back, but swimming.....I bet that is excellent.
Just a few laps of the pool....slowly. If you can that is. Just a thought. s xx
Old 07-30-2021, 07:43 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus. I do love being in the pool. I am not a great swimmer, but it is still good exercise. The fresh air and sunshine do wonders also.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:02 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

I do not know if you have this here....phoebe will know
In Australia there is a lot of physical therapy done in the pool....gentle recovery from injury etc without stress on the body.
Maybe you could find someone to work with you for your back....in the pool.

I think it is called Aquatic Physical Therapy.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:11 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

That’s a great suggestion, Suze. There are specialized therapists that do exactly that.

I just canceled going to tonight’s party too, lol. The afternoon is lovely. I took the kids to the ice cream stand, where I actually got a lobster roll. 🦞😋. My tummy is full, and I’m tired from just not sleeping well last night. I’ve got to get son to work for 3:30, and would rather go hang with daughter at the pool for a bit. The party is 6-9, in the opposite direction, and timing isn’t good to do both things. We weren’t going to really know any guests at this party. It’s HS kids and townie friends. We’re more longtime family friends, and know their family in NY. My hubs seemed totally fine about it. I offered to still go, and he said it wasn’t important. 😊

Lol. Not like you all needed that long excuse for me canceling a party invitation. 😂😂
Old 07-30-2021, 01:09 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Excellent phoebes. I like the choices you made instead of going to the party. s
Old 07-30-2021, 05:05 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Thanks, Suze. I’m glad J was cool with it too, though he never gets bossy. He’s quietly persistent. But, I didn’t really need to push hard on these choices. Daddy’s little girl, lol.

We are going to watch A Quiet Place 2 tonight.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:18 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Watched it, of course. Enjoy ❤️