Notices

Class of May 2021 Support Thread Part 4

Old 07-25-2021, 11:10 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Well usually there is a LOT of conversation amongst us all on this thread. Seems to be a quiet Sunday though. s
Old 07-25-2021, 01:40 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Welcome DrMax

One Thing, I think one day at a time is a good thing to keep in our minds, but knowing what is the right thing to do and actually doing it can be very different. I know I struggle with it. Sometimes I get really caught up in the future in my head, and I tend to overthink and overanalyse everything. I get really caught up in knots about the future, and worry myself sick (or to drink) when I probably should just focus on today. You could try a different therapist if you feel you would like to talk to someone, I know that sometimes it can take a while to find the right one.

I agree about you sounding positive Plenny your posts are really helpful to remind me to focus on being grateful for the good things in my life, because as I mentioned before, I really have a tendency to worry about the negative stuff. I need to focus more on gratitude ❤️

It’s Monday morning and I was just too tired to post last night when we got home. We had a lovely weekend camping. It’s just difficult coming home to reality lol. I could easily stay out there for longer. Although it’s nice to come home to a hot shower! We have solar camping showers (the black bags that you lay in the sun to heat up, then hang up and they have a shower head hanging from them) but they’re not quite the luxury of a long hot shower

My partner was drinking beer on the weekend, not huge amounts, he probably had about 10 or so over the weekend. A couple of times I had the urge for a drink, but I didn’t have anything to tempt me thankfully (I don’t like beer), so I made it to 70 days yesterday, 10 weeks
Still hanging in there, some days are easier than others.
Still taking it one day at a time.

Phoebe I totally get how you must feel when hubs is drinking. My partner always says things like “I don’t drink much” and “I never get drunk” and usually he holds things together, but lately he’s been drinking most days, and sometimes on the weekends he’s drinking more than a couple. And his manner and conversation is definitely different than when he’s sober, regardless of what he thinks. I do find it annoying, and occasionally triggering, but I can’t make him not drink. I just hope that maybe he’ll stop one day….

Anyway, I need to go and get ready for work. I’m not feeling motivated today. After a lovely relaxing weekend, getting up in the cold to go to work isn’t my idea of fun 😂
Old 07-25-2021, 10:20 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Wow Willow 70 days!! Congrats! And welcome home. I always wanted to try a solar shower. I guess you can take the girl out of the anarchic mountain hippy town…. you know the saying

I’ve been reading a little bit about the supposed therapeutic effects of cold water showers and baths? Anyone know anything? I’m a hot water girl myself but recently cold water has become a part of my life. I don’t know if I mentioned it way back but I had my awakening in a cold shower and that really felt significant. A pipe dream of mine is to get up early and swim. To be one of those people. I guess anything’s possible…. I love big empty Olympic sized indoor pools I think it’s really meditative
Old 07-26-2021, 03:00 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Another quiet day at home yesterday, quiet is good. We watched plenty of Olympic games. I love the Equestrian events. Those horses are so beautiful and well trained. I look down at my Petey and wonder why he is just my eating lump of sleeping fur. You would think you could train a cat to do something, but that is impossible.

I can't say that I was in the best of moods yesterday, but now that everything has calmed down, it is hard at times to process it all with my son. Since I can't change it, I just have to change how I think about it. She is a pitiful thing with lots of anger and I can't take it personally. I wouldn't take it personally if she had cancer and she does have cancer eating at her soul.

Busy day today, doc appts and grocery shopping. We are out of so many things, I haven't shopped the way I normally do. Today's doc appt was one that we had forgotten about 🙄. My husband does have cataracts in both eyes and they are keeping a close watch on that because of his diabetes. You would think he is a frail old man with all these ailments, but it is actually hard to keep up with him!

I am going to make this one day the best one I possibly can! I hope you all have a good day too.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:05 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Hope today goes well dear One Thing s

No way could I ever do the cold shower thing Plenny....but swimming is awesome.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:33 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Congratulations on 70 days, Willow!

Speaking of swimming, I love it too! It’s been a thing I’ve done for exercise in the past, especially when first done with college, in my first apartment. I could walk to the Y there. Went at least a few times a week after work. Then was really good for some time after my first was born. I’d get up super early to get in a swim, shower, go buy a coffee and breakfast roll(full of fruits and nuts and whole grains), and sit alone and enjoy that before J went off to work.

And, the topic segues nicely into our plan for today. Daughter is sitting at a house with a brand new pool! We plan to swim today. She’s here napping now because the dog there woke her early. She also brought me fresh eggs straight from the chickens!

Hope the appointments go well, Onething.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:10 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Oooooo how lovely Phoebes. Both the fresh eggs and the pool. ❤️
Old 07-26-2021, 09:02 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

That sounds so nice. Morning swims

It is so hot here, I’m going to take my pup for a short walk and then get to work here in the studio. I turned off notifications on my phone until my alarm goes off at 4pm tonight. Then I’ll look. I just need social media and correspondence silence. I need to be alone. Sometimes I just have to pretend I’m not here and get off the grid so I can recharge.

I started keeping a dream journal! Every morning I’m writing down what I remember from the dream and just today I started writing a reflection on what I might learn from the dream or what it makes me think.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:12 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

I wonder if this will affect your art....I can just see you painting your dreams
That would be very cool. s xx
Old 07-26-2021, 01:41 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Morning swims are a great idea except it’s winter here, so a bit chilly for me to be swimming 😂
Plenny a dream journal is a great idea. I agree with Suze about them maybe inspiring your art.
I’ve been having some really weird dreams lately, so if I transformed mine into art, it would make for some crazy paintings
Old 07-26-2021, 01:43 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Morning Willow honey ❤️

PS. Fun fact ~ the coldest daytime temp in Aus in winter is t-shirt weather here.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:56 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 70 days Willow.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:49 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Morning Willow honey ❤️

PS. Fun fact ~ the coldest daytime temp in Aus in winter is t-shirt weather here.
Morning (although it’s afternoon now)

Funnily, it was 16C this morning, and it’s 25C now. I still have my jumper on that I put on this morning when I got up and was cold 😂
It’s funny what we acclimatise to
Old 07-26-2021, 08:49 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dickensen View Post
Congratulations on 70 days Willow.
thanks Dickensen how’re you doing?
Old 07-27-2021, 03:57 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Good Morning all!

I tried to post yesterday, but my internet is so slow sometimes. The pleasures of living in the country.

Willow, congratulations on your 70 days, that is big!

Dickenson, is good to see you on here. I am sure everyone is tired of my drama.

Not much drama going on here now. Husband had a good eye appt. He has cataracts and the doc has been watching them closely. They are growing at such a slow rate that he gave him a pass for a year, instead of 6 month check ups. This is good.

Grocery shopping went well. Husband only put pistachios in the cart when I wasn't looking, not bad. He does have a hard time by the ice cream case though. I wind up telling him to step away from the case, no use torturing yourself with something you can't have.

It is calm here and that is good. I do have to admit that waves of sadness do wash over me at times about son. The bottom line is, there is nothing I can do. I let him know that I loved him and I am always here for him and that is about all I can do. I can't say my feelings aren't hurt and that leaks out now and again, but I guess that will happen.

No doc appts today, two tomorrow for my husband so that will be a busy day. We see his cardiologist tomorrow and he starts on the plaque dissolving meds. I am not sure why they didn't give him the script why he was in the hospital? I guess they figured going into the heart was invasive enough. I will be glad when that blockage has been reduced.

Pool time is in my plans today. I must admit that I am not a great swimmer, but I do enjoy the water. I swear I look like a walrus flopping around in the water when I try to swim laps. It does amaze me to see the Olympians swim. I sure you have guessed that I am enjoying the Olympics. Along with a lot of things I used to do, I used to be pretty athletic in my youth. My older brother was the same and I always had someone to play with and compete against.

I hope you all have a wonderful, sober day!

OneThing
Old 07-27-2021, 06:07 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Hope you have fun today dear One Thing! ❤️
Old 07-27-2021, 06:58 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Enjoy the pool day, Onething.

Willow, I’m generally in shorts or capris at 60°F. I keep the house cooked to around 70-71° in summer. How hot does it get there in summer?

Not sure what we’re doing today. I do need to get son to work later this afternoon.

Are any of you having the smoke in your area? It’s freaky that it’s traveling clear across the country and we can see and smell it. I’ve been coughing a bit these past couple of days too. It’s probably best to stay inside. I feel for those directly affected by the fires. 😕
Old 07-27-2021, 09:38 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Oh Phoebe, I am so Florida climatized now and we haven't lived here that long! If it gets lower then 70F during the day I am in long sleeves and jeans. I keep my house at 78F when my husband is home and 80F when he isn't. It is funny how you get used to things.

I got a good call today, finally! My neuro/spine surgeon is going to be glad to see me after the MRI report I sent in. Thank God! I hope he can do something other than fusion on me but I do have a blown disk, two bulging disks and a vertebrae buckling 6mm on the right and 4mm on the left. I am not a doc, but that sure doesn't sound good to me along with the other words that I never thought existed. If I need fusion, fine, anything to be without pain. I am so glad he is going to see me, as pain management didn't work at all, it made it worse. I was able to make it for next month. His wife, who handles his appts, was surprised that I was willing to wait that long, but when I told her all my husband was going through, she said she would remember us in her prayers!

I am just so glad over this appt. This is another good thing!
Old 07-27-2021, 04:03 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Willow, One Thing and All,

I am doing fine. Today is my Day 135. The cravings are gone. I am walking 30 minutes in the park 5-6 days per week trying to lose weight. I will have a comprehensive blood test and doctor's exam in September. Hopefully, my A1C will be reasonable. My biggest health challenge at this time is cutting back on carbs and of course abstaining from alcohol.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:23 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

That is some awesome walking and fresh air and sober days dear dickensen xx