Notices

Class of May 2021 Support Thread Part 4

Old 07-27-2021, 04:36 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dickensen View Post
Willow, One Thing and All,

I am doing fine. Today is my Day 135. The cravings are gone. I am walking 30 minutes in the park 5-6 days per week trying to lose weight. I will have a comprehensive blood test and doctor's exam in September. Hopefully, my A1C will be reasonable. My biggest health challenge at this time is cutting back on carbs and of course abstaining from alcohol.
Great to hear from you, and congratulations on 135 days!! I think we face similar metabolic struggles. Good luck in September. I’ve got an appointment the first week myself. 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Old 07-27-2021, 10:54 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Glad to hear things are calm around the group. I hope I didn’t miss anyone. As for me I’m having a day of worry and rumination, there’s the obvious big stuff looming, then the dumb things I might have said (or were they?), and the dumb things I said way back when, and who I embarrassed and was so and so lying to me when….
it’s got me on edge. Trying to give myself the grace I give other people when they say dumb things or make mistakes. I guess I don’t know if others are as understanding as I am. But I’m my own worst critic
Old 07-28-2021, 01:34 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Just a quick check in, not much to report, I just had a really busy day and am feeling exhausted and down. As per usual lately.

I’m not sure if it’s still from stopping drinking, but I’ve been reading a bit about depression and fatigue after stopping drinking, and it’s pretty common for the first few months, even longer for some, maybe even 6 or 12 months. Also that it’s a common cause of relapse, so it’s important to be aware of it and that it won’t last forever.
I guess it takes a while to get to some sort of equilibrium.
Especially the dopamine receptors in our brains. I’m trying not to eat so much sugar to see if that helps. Today was the first day in ages without refined sugar. I still had carbs, like a banana this morning and sweet potato with dinner, but I’m trying to eat more protein and veggies, and have fruit instead of lollies (sweets/candy) and cake/sweet biscuits etc. I have such a sweet tooth, but I don’t think the sugar is helping my mood or energy level. Fingers crossed this helps….
Old 07-28-2021, 05:04 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Glad to hear things are calm around the group. I hope I didn’t miss anyone. As for me I’m having a day of worry and rumination, there’s the obvious big stuff looming, then the dumb things I might have said (or were they?), and the dumb things I said way back when, and who I embarrassed and was so and so lying to me when….
it’s got me on edge. Trying to give myself the grace I give other people when they say dumb things or make mistakes. I guess I don’t know if others are as understanding as I am. But I’m my own worst critic
One of the things I learned is that no one other than me is paying that much attention...or remembering the dumb thing I said yesterday. I put my foot in my mouth a fair bit....being an Aussie in America has its communication challenges.

s ❤️
Old 07-28-2021, 05:08 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

I really do believe the sugar thing is the key Willow. s
Old 07-28-2021, 05:08 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Morning dear One Thing
Old 07-28-2021, 07:55 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good morning all. I also need to kick sugar. I have allowed myself a bit or few of chocolate most days, and ice cream is a weakness.

Plenny, I hate that feeling when I get caught in a thought loop about something in the past. Hope you shake it off.

We’re in a cooler weather pattern for a few days. I should do some walking. I have not been great about that.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:51 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Yes I need to quit sugar and start exercising regularly. I know that I need to, it’s the actual doing it that’s hard. But I haven’t had a drink for long enough now that I need to stop making excuses, and actually do it…. I’m going to start with 10 minutes yoga this morning…..
Old 07-28-2021, 01:57 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I just answered this in another thread and I did not even know you had written it.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:43 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Great minds ❤️ I did 10 minutes yoga. It’s a start
Old 07-29-2021, 03:36 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is ok. I’m exhausted and heading to bed zzzzzz G’night x
Old 07-29-2021, 04:12 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

We had a busy day yesterday and I never did get a minute to post.

My husband had his first in a series of 2 cognitive tests yesterday, finally got his new hearing aids, and visit with the cardiologist.

I could not be with him for the cognitive test yesterday, I might give him the wrong answers 😬. He did take it before we picked up his hearing aids so that should make a difference next week.

Our visit with the cardiologist was not so great. We both got that one wrong. There is not a new medicine to dissolve plaque. Yeah, we thought it too good to be true too, but what they are going to do is put him on a 12hr nitroglycerin pill. 😯. That helps open the arteries and that is a good thing. Showing the blockage as it did, the doc said that you can be sure that all the little arteries going to the heart are getting clogged also so giving him the 12hr nitro should help that. He will also need to carry nitro with him because he has, what he calls, heart discomforts. This is fun stuff here.

We also have to totally change his diet. When he goes back on the road there is no grabbing a burger in a pinch or sharing some pizza with the guys who bring it in. None of that, at all, period. Just chicken, turkey, fish, salads, veggies that is it. Now we also have to watch his carbs because of his diabetes. A glass of red wine is still recommended 🤦‍♀️. I had him really not drinking lately too. If it is good for him, that is one thing, it is not good for me. He did get a better cholesterol medicine too so that is good.

He is a good strong man and he has been doing so much better with his diabetes, that I am sure he will do well with this also. He hasn't been cleared for work yet, or to have his kidney stone blasted and he is upset about that. I know he gets bored here at home and he has about run out of projects to do around here. He is going to talk to his boss about an office position, temporarily. I think that will do him good, give him a purpose and a place to go everyday so that he feels productive. It is important to feel productive.

As for me, well, I didn't do so good yesterday. I didn't drink, so that was good, but I also forgot to take my medicine. Lyrica can not just be stopped, as I have read and I don't recommend anyone do that. I was up most of the night sick to my stomach and couldn't figure out why. I know why now. I wont do that again.

With all this said, we are doing okay here. Need to make some adjustments here and there but it is all doable. We are at least eating a diet the cat likes, chicken, turkey and fish. Who knew that cats have had it right all this time?

OneThing
Old 07-29-2021, 04:22 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Oh Gee, Dickerson, CONGRATULATIONS ON 135+ DAYS! 🎉🎉

That is an accomplishment that can't be looked over! That is really awesome!
Old 07-29-2021, 05:17 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Good morning love s ❤️
Old 07-29-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Well, I am disappointed but I understand. My husband and I talked last night about him going in the office for a while, if his boss had enough work for him. He has had a change of heart, no pun intended.

He said he really thought about it and he is more useful to the company out in the field. I do believe that he just plain old misses his job. He loves the travel, but not the constant plane rides, he enjoys working with people and solving their problems, being in new places, and he plain old likes his job.

I know I can be a bit of a drama queen, but I just needed to get this out there. It is kind of a shock to me, something I didn't expect. It just helps me to get things out there.

He told his boss that he would be available to take jobs week after next. My heart kind of sank, but if you are not doing what you enjoy in life, life is not so much fun. He knows to take it easy, his boss knows he needs to and it should all work out. I will worry about him, but that is on me. I think what is important is that he is doing what he loves. Like I said earlier, it is good to have a purpose in your life, something to enjoy waking up to.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:57 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I agree. ❤️

And re the healthy diet ~ I make my husband a fantastic lunch every day that includes fruit and yogurt and nuts and a sweet treat (not big) and a fantastic bagel or sandwich, all made by me with the best ingredients.

You could do a chicken or tuna salad instead of a sandwich, and so many other things.
I am betting you would enjoy doing this as much as I do...and my husband is very happy food wise. xx
Old 07-29-2021, 09:05 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

You are right Venus, I do love cooking and trying new recipes. I make him lots of salads for lunch, but now I have to cut out ham and egg on the side. We had turkey last night so he had turkey in his salad.

I bought some Halibut yesterday, not my husband's favorite but we are going to have to eat different types of fish. I have a really good recipe for pan frying it with a bit of honey and lemon marinade. He really just likes salmon, but he will get used to different fish. If I could just find some good trout around here! 😏
Old 07-29-2021, 09:09 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

There is nothing wrong with eggs love....they are brilliant protein and good cholesterol
And salmon and yellow fin tuna and trout are all beautiful.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:22 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

You got this Onething! I’m sorry it wasn’t the news you thought. But the food part is doable. 💕.

A little blue today. I thought I’d be seeing our daughter more this week, but she’s pretty much sleeping whenever she’s here.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:24 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Sorry for the down day dear phoebes s ❤️