Notices

Class of May 2021 Support Thread Part 4

Old 08-10-2021, 11:43 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Thanks Plenny
I totally understand what you’re saying and I didn’t fully open up to her. She was recommended to me by a friend who knows her. I did tell her that I drank too much and had been trying to stop, and finding it difficult, but that I hadn’t had a drink for X number of days/weeks. She said “well there you go, you can stop, you’ve shown yourself that”. I honestly don’t think she got it. She told me she was primarily a relationship counsellor, and from our interactions it seemed she was very focussed on asking questions about my relationship with my partner and his daughter. I got quite frustrated. That might be my own issues, but I just didn’t feel it was a good fit. I’m going to ask my doctor to recommend someone.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:11 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Good Early Morning All,

I am not sure how long I will be up this morning, Monster Cat, got me up way too early to eat. We have the alarm clock on the other side of the room so that when I need it, I actually get up to turn it off. I read the stupid clock wrong and didn't realize what time it was till the coffee was brewing. I can't waste a good cup of coffee.

We, and I do mean me too, finished off the last bottle of wine open. Time to move on and get back on track. My husband is the sweetest man alive and I am so blessed to have him in my life. Today it is on to new adventures.

I am, once more, weaning off my Lyrica also. I have gone 4 days with one pill cut out and today another one bites the dust. I see my neurosurgeon on the 20th and I swear I will smack him if he puts me back on it! I am fairly sure he can help me. I took the short, at home course on reading a MRI via YouTube because for the life of me the reports have words that just are not in our language. I am just an amateur, but that picture is a mess. Now when he actually gets to do something is anyone's guess, Covid has stopped all elective surgeries. Severe back pain is elective, but thank God, my nerve pain has calmed down. We will see.

I understand what you ladies mean about therapists. The one I talked to about son just gave me information about looking up Cluster B personality disorders and left it at that. I kind of figured that maybe I didn't sound open to expressing my grief. I do understand how she gets away with what she does, giving her positive reinforcement to her feelings of not being abandoned helps them a lot. Her family has to deal with her constantly and that is how they do it. I have never said a nasty word to her, but did set a boundary to what I will accept. She doesn't like boundaries, it seems. She, 6 page of nonsense and insults, doesn't like boundaries. I have the luxury of not having to deal with that. My daughter has gone through about 4 therapists since her dad died. He left her with a lot of baggage and not one addressed everything. Through the combination of the 4 she has pieced together a place of healing, Things do rear up at times and she has to dig deep to remember some of the advice she was given from one of them.

On to adventures in cooking today. Turkey burgers! No fries. The last time I made them they were as dry as cardboard, today I am going to try and add chopped mushrooms. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. I will make sure I check on here before making them. I also add ranch seasoning to them and that livened them up.

Let's do today! I hope everyone has a good, sober day!

One Thing
Old 08-11-2021, 06:51 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Willow, I hope you find someone you can feel comfortable with for being more open.

Plenny, glad you’ve made good progress that you’re feeling the benefits from. When are you just down to 1-2 jobs?

Good morning. We’re headed into a heat wave which makes walking for exercise difficult. I’m very grateful for ac. J is going to a big party this weekend. Most of our friends are, and it includes camping out. I am not going, and am delighted to not be going, lol. I’m not a camper, at all. I’d die in that heat, anyway. Son needs a ride to work Saturday as well, so it was easy to say no.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:23 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

I have no idea how anyone could survive this heat with the humidity in the 90s without aircon .....it is much hotter than Australia for me.....in Melbourne, anything over 40% humidity and we all complain. Anyway....love to all of you. s
Old 08-11-2021, 01:00 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Well, it is wine:30 here. The AV is strong again, but I know it will fade.

Good day today, I got to go to Goodwill and buy little ones shorts and a couple of tee shirt . The joys of teaching and kids not bringing in extra clothes. It is a good thing we live in FL because shorts are fairly appropriate all year long. It did just amaze me the nice things that Goodwill had for the kids, some of them still with the tags on.

I did also go into the pharmacy to pick up a script. I do double mask right now so I had my N95 and Steelers mask on. We are BIG Steelers fans and there was a lady next to me who said "You are a fan!". I said definitely and it turns out that her uncle is Larry Brown, 2 time Super Bowl winner for the Steelers and I actually knew who he was. That was cool. I came home and looked up his stats and he really was one impressive player. It was so cool.

My excitement for the day. Now on to making turkey burgers 🤞 they come out decent.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:46 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Honestly, I have no clue how to make them, but I bet your turkey burgers turn out great.....spinach, tomato, alfalfa, avocado and mushrooms....this is what I love with them. s xx
Old 08-11-2021, 08:42 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Thanks Plenny
I totally understand what you’re saying and I didn’t fully open up to her. She was recommended to me by a friend who knows her. I did tell her that I drank too much and had been trying to stop, and finding it difficult, but that I hadn’t had a drink for X number of days/weeks. She said “well there you go, you can stop, you’ve shown yourself that”. I honestly don’t think she got it. She told me she was primarily a relationship counsellor, and from our interactions it seemed she was very focussed on asking questions about my relationship with my partner and his daughter. I got quite frustrated. That might be my own issues, but I just didn’t feel it was a good fit. I’m going to ask my doctor to recommend someone.
Ah yeah that sounds like a good move. I hate the feeling of being frustrated with a therapist. Good luck with a new referral! I had to shop around a bunch and currently I feel like I’ve got someone who’s on my team
Old 08-11-2021, 08:48 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Phoebe,

well, I did a big thing. I told my managers at the restaurant that I’m not coming back because of the covid exposure. I’m in Louisiana and I am scared. So I guess I’m technically down to 2 jobs now! I’m much happier in these new environments. But I’m sad about my restaurant. And the manager I love is a friend and fellow, and his sister is my sponsor. He didn’t respond to my message about not coming in. He must be so stressed out. But they were the ones who decided to be lax about safety in these times. I really don’t see an option here and I don’t want to put myself on the front lines anymore. I feel good like I stuck up for myself.

whew sorry to hear about that heat wave. Here we go!
Old 08-11-2021, 08:50 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like you made the right decision for your self Plenny,

D
Old 08-12-2021, 05:04 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

I agree that you made the right decision, Plenny. You’ve only got one body, and keeping yourself healthy is a priority. 💕

Ive been waking so early and unable to get back to sleep. Maybe it means I’m healing and healthier. Most days, I’m ok with the reduced sleep. This morning, though I’m feeling tired. But, it’s a good time to get out and water the gardens before the heat peaks!

Onething, how were your turkey burgers? Ideas to add moisture: add grated onion or some other veggies, add a bit of cheese, use less lean turkey, don’t overcook.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:59 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

The turkey burgers came out great! I did look at several recipes and some of the fillers were not good for my husband. I did sauté some chopped mushrooms in a bit of olive oil, added the ranch dressing mix for flavor and they came out really moist. The secret to making them is also not "working" the meat too much so I was careful about that. Now on to tonight. I need to figure something out and I will.

Husband finally got his clearance letter to go back to work yesterday ☹. I honestly do not look forward to him traveling and he is honestly not looking forward sitting in the office. Covid is awful out there and there is the eating part. I am not sure how disciplined he will be because it is hard to eat well out on the road. We are also getting used to his diet! I bought some beautiful steaks before he came home and stuck them in the freezer, along with pork and hamburger meat. It has to get eaten and this diet is really good for us too.

I am out of sorts this morning, bummed over so much and there isn't anything I can do about any of it. I am down to one Lyrica a day now having trouble with my left leg now. I know that is temporary, it will all get fixed at sometime, I am not sure when. I got up last night to let Petey out of our room, because he has decided he can't knock the door open himself and I may also feed him, and my left leg felt like it was going to give out under me. I just have to be careful. The side effects of this evil medicine far out weigh its benefits.

Now, I will put all of this aside and wish everyone a good, sober day!

OneThing
Old 08-12-2021, 05:59 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

I also think you made a good choice there Plenny ~ this is scary. s ❤️
Old 08-12-2021, 02:05 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. It’s Friday morning here.

I think you made a good choice too Plenny. I wouldn’t be wanting to work somewhere that has lax rules around safety. It’s not worth it.

Onething I hope your leg settles down soon, is that from taking the medication? I was wondering if your husband takes a packed lunch out on the road? I’m not sure of the actual situation and whether he comes home each night or not. I take my whole day’s food with me each morning in a cool bag with ice bricks. I generally have leftover dinner food (with lots of veggies usually) for lunch, plus lots of healthy snacks. Fruit, yoghurt, a tub of porridge, maybe a nut bar. Just an idea.

Phoebe I know what you mean about still feeling tired when you wake up. I’m feeling exhausted this morning. Luckily I’m only working a half day today. I might need a nap this afternoon lol
Old 08-12-2021, 02:22 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

A tub of porridge? As in one of the Uncle Tobys instant in a tub? So add milk/water and microwave?
I have the sachets here....costs me a fortune to get Uncle Tobys here, but as I know you know, food is very different here.
I would almost walk to Australia at this point to get a sandwich. I have not had one in four years. Sigh.

I actually researched it all....it is the flour. Enriched white flour. And they put corn syrup and soy and fruit juice (????) in all of the sandwich bread.

Anyway, I bought a bread maker and I found organic wheat flour yesterday that is not enriched so I am going to start making bread.
My dream of a lettuce, cheese and tom sammy will be realised I tell you....

And sorry about that mystery rant American ladies.... I just had to get it out.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:27 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

I totally get it Suze, as I deep dive into nutrition, ancestral diets, GMOs, and all the framing pesticides in our food, especially wheat products. Sadly, your intolerance of our food validates much of what I’m reading.

Onething, I do hope you find relief of your back and keg symptoms and weakness. 💕

Willow, you sound very organized and disciplined with your daily food. That’s great if you on the road!
Old 08-12-2021, 09:40 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Thank you all fir your support.

they put the mandate down here, all people must carry proof of vaccination or proof of a negative test within the last 3 days. It doesn’t change how I feel about working in restaurants. I don’t want to do it this time around. I just don’t want to do it
Old 08-13-2021, 03:15 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Suze that sounds really sweet! I don’t think I’d like sweet bread…. Bread is supposed to be…. well bread! Definitely not sweet, and not even savoury, just plain yummy bread to add your own flavours on top or inside a sandwich
Making your own is a great idea!

And I love Uncle Toby’s porridge sachets. But what I usually do is just put 1/3 cup of rolled or quick oats (any brand) in a bowl in the microwave with about the same amount of water for 60 seconds, then transfer it into my own little plastic tub and add a little milk, put the lid on and pack a spoon and presto, instant healthy snack
Old 08-13-2021, 03:38 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  
Administrator

Join us here for Part 5
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-5-a.html (Class of May 2021 Support Thread Part 5)

D