Notices

Class of July 2021 Support Thread Part One

Old 07-05-2021, 02:46 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

RAL - congrats on 30 days!

Janine - congrats on two weeks! It sounds like you had a nice lunch with your dad and I'm sure he appreciated it. I need to find some alternative non-alcoholic drinks as I'm drinking too much soda and coffee.

Have a good day!
Old 07-05-2021, 03:56 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Just a quick post, I made it to the end of day 2 and my 1st day back at work after a week off. I have to say that after not drinking most of last week and then not drinking last night. I actually felt pretty clear headed going to work today which is exactly what I was aiming for with my week off, I needed to defrag.
Night night classmates..
​​​​​​
Old 07-05-2021, 04:19 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days RAL! That's wonderful!
And congrats to Janine on 2 weeks!
Today is day 5 for me. I feel a lot better, too.
I'll be back, the pup woke up needing to go out.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:50 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

It's no hangover Monday,
Man it feels good to wake up refreshed and healthy. Last year at this time I felt like half a corpse clinging to life, thank God those days are over.
Congrats on one month RAL!! You did it, hang in there and stay strong with your danger zone looming. I'm glad everyone is still on the sober bus and making progress. Remain positive the future is much brighter if you remain sober my friends.
And please no lamenting the loss of alcohol.....It should be more of a good riddance kind of a thing!!!
Old 07-05-2021, 04:54 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hey, Country
Maybe try mixing Perrier or some other carbonated water with fruit juice it's refreshing.....
Old 07-05-2021, 05:31 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Hi! Day one. Daily drinker for twenty five years. Stopped drinking for thirty days back in January and celebrated my success with a beer. Back to almost daily drinking since then. Try, Try again. Tired of waking up hung over.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:38 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Welcome GBK and fellow Floridian, you came to the right place. I think most of us discovered the hard way that we were incapable of moderation.
Well, today is a new day and a good one for starting your new journey of recovery because there's no better time than right now!!
I hope you're not feeling to bad.......Hang in there and stay strong.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:49 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Well done RAL and Janine. And hi everyone else.

Day three sober and I feel really rough but can't think it's withdrawals as I've been sober a lot recently...I've also managed to do me back in cleaning the shower yesterday. Not fun 😦
Old 07-05-2021, 06:23 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GottaBeKidding View Post
Hi! Day one. Daily drinker for twenty five years. Stopped drinking for thirty days back in January and celebrated my success with a beer. Back to almost daily drinking since then. Try, Try again. Tired of waking up hung over.
Welcome GBK, glad to have you with us.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:24 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Janine1967 View Post
Two weeks.
I thought I would feel a bigger sense of accomplishment but, I just don't. All I've wanted to do on this holiday is drink and feel my version of "normal" again. 😑
Decided to take my dad to the boardwalk for a walk & lunch. I thought of the times we'd done that before... sat at the bar & ordered clams & beer. Then I'd switch to wine. And go to the restroom to drink from the bottle in my handbag to get trashed more quickly. Then he'd have to drive home. Silently, because he was angry. Rightfully so.
That memory, & other's, along with an urge the size of Texas, prompted me to suggest eating downtown instead of the beach area. We went to a terrific Asian/Fusion taco place that doesn't serve & isn't BYOB. I actually enjoyed myself for a little bit & I liked my 1st non alcoholic "cocktail" made with ice, watermelon puree & lime. All that was missing was the me of two weeks ago, handing the keys to dad. 😔
Well, I guess I have accomplished something. I caught a small glimpse of what life can be like if I keep remembering everything alcohol stole from me. Like a nice lunch with my dad.
Hope everyone is being strong today & enjoying time with people you love.
Hi Janine,

I think that is a HUGE achievement. A sober 4th, and food with your dad without having to hand over your keys.....a true independence day for you. ❤️
Old 07-05-2021, 06:27 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GottaBeKidding View Post
Welcome to SR dear GottaBeKidding! ❤️
Old 07-05-2021, 06:29 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Congrats dear RAL on 30 days!!! ❤️

Sorry about your back Be ~ hope you heal fast. s

And hello Red and all of you.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:26 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

RAL congrats on 30 days! That's some good work
I had a sober 4th of July. We aren't allowed to have fireworks here, but some of our neighbors didn't care, so we walked down to their house. Someone was talking the woman with really big boobs and reminded that last year I touched them (with premission and mind you I'm a woman who has touched fake boobs before) but i was called out and everybody thought it was hilarious, however i was a bit embarrassed being sober and hearing about it. I just said that sounds about right and moved on. But I'm really glad to be waking up this day 3 without a hangover and knowing i didn't do anything else for next year's party. I will not drink today 😆.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:03 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Welcome GBK, glad to have you with us you've come to the right place my friend.

Congrats on 30 days RAL . The next month could be just as easy if not easier as you've likely learned from previous experience.

congrats on 2 weeks Janine and well done getting through those cravings hopefully it strengthens you Our brains crave the familiar, drinking etc is what we have taught them for many years. The more you do sober the more the new familiar will be imprinted.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:56 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Welcome GBK! I hope today goes easy for you.
Be, sorry to hear you hurt your back. I just got over that same thing. I hope it's already on the mend!
I'm having a slow day. But steady. I'm trying to get motivated to go to an AA meeting. 5 days is too early for complacency.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:03 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

If I remember right, you felt pretty good after the last meeting Karen. Just saying. ❤️

(oooo Charlie is all grown up ).
Old 07-05-2021, 11:46 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Hi Janine,

I think that is a HUGE achievement. A sober 4th, and food with your dad without having to hand over your keys.....a true independence day for you. ❤️
Thanks so much, venuscat! When you put it that way...
🤜🤛 😁
Old 07-05-2021, 11:59 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks for all your kind wishes. Why is it that at memorable dates I want to drink. Or I'm having thoughts of it. Oh I have a month sober. deserve a glass of wine. FGS. this is madness. crazy thinking. I won't drink tonight but just want these thoughts to go away
Old 07-05-2021, 12:18 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

I think part of it is establishing new rewards dear RAL. s
Old 07-05-2021, 12:26 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

RAL, I don't know about you but, I know for a fact that If I were to do that I wouldn't stop at 2 or 3 and then say to myself " Well it's about time to relax in bed and read". It's not a relaxant for me it's more of a stimulant. It creates stress just thinking about trying to moderate because while I was drinking "just a couple" I would be having an internal battle about getting more which would make the couple I was having not even enjoyable. Then once affected by it I would lose all control of the amount I consumed.