Notices

One Year And Under Club Part 67

Old 12-11-2020, 12:37 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I'm glad Ruthie is giving you reason to look outside the black cloud Charon.

Hows everyone's Christmas preparations going?
Old 12-11-2020, 02:36 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Hi Toots

Christmas is always a rough time of the year for me - my AV goes wild and crazy.
I have a strong defense : I can and do call my sponsor to talk.
It calms down things like magic.

Have a good day! ☼
Old 12-12-2020, 01:55 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

This year will be slightly different, in that there won't be the same rounds of parties and gatherings as usual so perhaps not as many obvious temptations in front of us, U.K. be aware of the background ones. The insidious nature of the adverts that tell us we won't be happy without a drink in our hands, the family Zoom calls where everyone is either sipping a drink or discussing drinks, ( even or it's seem to go overboard this time of year - mulled wine, eggnog, brandy butter-) films and TV series, booze is everywhere.I find it nigh on impossible to find foods that don't contain booze this time of year.
Start looking into your toolboxes now, how are you prepared for the onslaught of temptation and memories? What will you do to keep strong and focussed on your sobriety? How can you avoid that one moment of weakness?
make plans for the time ahead. It doesn't matter how confident you are now about your sobriety, there will be bear traps in the oncoming weeks and I really don't want anyone here to fall into any one of them.

Have a Safe Sober Weekend my Lovely Undies!
Old 12-12-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Managed to stay AF the last two days. Looking to extend that for as long as I can.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:24 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

are you still doing SMART Charon?

D
Old 12-13-2020, 12:03 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Great post toots

Last year I quit for 3 weeks or so before Christmas. I pretty much knew I would drink Christmas day and new years but planned on putting it down after that and only drinking occasionally.

Well Christmas eve I started and I went drinking straight through until January 15th.

That's when I Knew moderation wasn't an option for me.

So January 16th will be 1 year for me and there is no way I will not reach that milestone.

Unless of course an asteroid wipes out planet Earth.😀

Stay strong undies!
I will repeat something I have been told and have heard more than once, "If I can do it, anyone can!"

Old 12-13-2020, 02:24 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Wow FK, you'll be in the Overs in just about a month.....How exciting!

Stay close Charon....Holidays can make things a lot more difficult for us....especially with all this pandemic crap going on!
Old 12-13-2020, 08:18 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Dee - yes I'm still doing SMART - but the thursday meeting dwindled to just me and the facilitator. And he isn't very good, doesn't do much with SMART anymore, and about all he says during a meeting is ... but I'm doing OK. THe Monday meeting was almost always me & the facilitator, and mostly a discussion - not so much on tools. Recently another guy joi9ned and the meetings got better. Then 2-3 other people started showing up occasionally and the facilitator didn't keep things on tyrack very well. I'm looking to add one or more of their website online meetings to fill in.

Purpiks - I never really liked the hollidays much. Having the kids stay over Christmas eve, waking up for a big waffles & bacon breakfast, then opening presents was wonderful. But all the group gatherings with way too much food, alcohol, and jibber-jabber just weren't my thing. I don't expect Christmas or New Years to be any different than any day this week.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:28 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Great post toots

Last year I quit for 3 weeks or so before Christmas. I pretty much knew I would drink Christmas day and new years but planned on putting it down after that and only drinking occasionally.

Well Christmas eve I started and I went drinking straight through until January 15th.

That's when I Knew moderation wasn't an option for me.

So January 16th will be 1 year for me and there is no way I will not reach that milestone.

Unless of course an asteroid wipes out planet Earth.😀

Stay strong undies!
I will repeat something I have been told and have heard more than once, "If I can do it, anyone can!"
Way to go. I too pledge to have a sober Christmas, for the first time in decades.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:00 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday, all!
Bruno, not sure if I missed the chance earlier, but welcome to the group I will join you on that sober Christmas.
Congrats on your upcoming anniversary, fishkiller. I'm knocking on the 6 month mark in a few days, myself.
I don't take one day of sobriety for granted. Not one. Life is hard and we do our best, but it isn't always enough. That is why I am here.

I started looking into PAWS. I don't like to self-diagnose as I am almost always wrong lol, but I have been seeking some insight on what the heck I just went through recently with the rollercoaster emotions, vivid dreams and storm clouds in my mind. I have had counseling before and understand when I should contact someone.

A week or two-ish ago (all these darn days and months blur together anymore) I began getting irritated and emotional, having some internal issues with how I was responding to things. This was a sudden change and built up quickly over a few days then, like a bubble, it burst (without incident) and everything fell back to center again. But better. Hard to explain. My sleep and appetite suffered also, which made me feel like crap. The latter part of this week my appetite has been recovering and I had a good sleep last night. I'm hopeful the small changes I put into my bedtime routine will continue to help.

Last Sunday and Monday were tough in a different way. I reconnected with a non-drinking friend of mine and we have begun hiking together once a month. We would both be considered at Novice skill set LOL. Last Saturday was our second outing. We hiked Calaveras Big Trees. Not a rugged terrain, kept to the trail, had a blast. The next day I discovered what is called the Hikers Hangover. OMG! It was so similar to an alcoholic hangover, I really was freaking out a bit. Obviously I didn't drink enough water. On the drive home, I was so high on those endorphins, it was like I was wired. I was a chatter box all the way. Called hubby when I got home and he laughed at me sounding like a tweeker. I swore I had the best time of my life (yup, even sounded drunk!)
The recovery (hangover) was hard. Although I had no blackout, no alcohol poisoning, no pounding head or puking, I was upset that I was so exhausted even to think straight and the only thing that would make me better was more water, sleep and food. Too much like the day after a good binge for me. I really need to figure that out before our next hike as not to have a repeat. That I found a new hobby is such a delight and I'm really enjoying every bit of it.

As for Christmas, because of Covid, I managed to get all my shopping done already, Toots. I had a couple items I had picked up earlier in the year, the rest I ordered online on Black Friday weekend and had the items shipped direct. Not many outdoor decorations for our Christmas. Weather gets too wacky and most of my decor gets ruined before the big day. We have lights in a tree out front and some decorations inside. Well, those decorations that can survive 4 cats and a dog. No tree inside. I got some great gifts ( if I do say so myself) and I can't wait for my family to open them. I am thankful there are no holiday parties to decline this year. This year is a total 180 from last. Lets hope that helps bode well for 2021!

Congrats on another day sober, no matter how many you have.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Welcome bruno!

This will be my 1st sober Christmas in at least 35 years
Old 12-14-2020, 01:25 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Welcome Bruno!

FK I remember my first sober xmas it was unreal. My BIL had died suddenly on the 19th, we had just been to London for our visas to stay in America, hubby was leaving on the 2nd Jan, I was following 2 weeks later once I'd packed up the house, we had the funeral New Years Eve. I had relatives weeping wailing and downing vodka like it was going out of fashion and was dealing with hubby's and my own grief and just wanting it all behind me! In the end Christmas was kind of swallowed up in it all! Even at the time though, I was so glad to be sober, to be there fully for hubby to help him through it all.

Kaptn, PAWS can have some strange affects, and may or may not be responsible for some of your mood swings. At least it doesn't last long and I find if I can put a name to a problem I can live with it better.

CK I know you will do all you can to preserve your sobriety my friend.

FK, I can't wait to welcome e you into the Overs!
Old 12-14-2020, 08:07 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Looks like my virus tests for the orchids won't get here on schedule (today). That's OK. They aren't going anywhere and the one that was infected is gone to the trash. I need to get to the CVS to buy double edge razor blades. I have 28 tests to do and I don't want to use the same edge twice. I figure 15 blades will do it.. Once I use them harvest material for the tests I can use them in my razor - which I almost never use. I'll have a lifetime supply.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

So glad Mrs got Ruthie Musher's Secret for her paw pads. It protects from getting dried out and from the cold. Keeps snow from packing between her toes. Seems to work wonderfully.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I could never get my dogs to wear anything on their feet.
Good thing Ruthie doesn't mind. Their little feet have to freeze quickly.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Had to google Mushers Secret, never come across it before. We don't have the severity of weather here usually, but I always make sure and dry Mollys feet when we come home, especially between the pads.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

FK - it's a wax/oil paste that you just rub on daily. I doubt I could find any booties that would be small enough for Ruthie's tiny feet.

I'm pretty sure she know's something is up. She cuddled in bed till almost 10 am, let me brush her face and neck without a fuss, and took her antibiotic without a huge fight. Tomorrow she goes in to be spayed. I'm trying to act perfectly normal, but ...
Old 12-16-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Thanks charon
I will have to look into that.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Bless her Charon. Molly recuperated really quickly, in fact the issue was keeping her calm for the next couple of weeks so she didn't burst her stitches!
Old 12-17-2020, 12:42 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

How was Ruthie post op Charon? Give her a gentle hug from auntie Toots