Notices

One Year And Under Club Part 67

Old 01-19-2021, 08:31 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Ruthie and I were on our morning walk when I spotted a red fox a short distance away. They are such beautiful animals. I was able to watch it for 30 seconds or more as it trotted through our woods and finally out of sight. I think Ruthless caught sight of it just before it disappeared but I'm not sure. Feeling good, sober, and loving it.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:49 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Coz

You are sounding great Charon! Bottle that feeling and store it up for for rainy days.

Nothing new and not much to say. My pace at work is picking up. I'm now working longer hours and tackling multiple projects at once. I am being cautious about stress levels and over-work, but I really am loving being busy and leading projects - big and small.

Hugs to all Undies and Toots, Purps, Dee and now FK.

Take care

Old 01-19-2021, 11:54 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Coz just make sure to be aware of your weakness for accepting to much work and overloading - make a plan to leave time for yourself and family! I'm glad you are enjoying the new job though.

Charon we have foxes around us, a couple of dog fox brothers ( I assume, both male with identical white flash on the bush) who fight over territory when they meet at the boundary - which appears to be the road outside our house in the early hours! I do miss the deer we used to get in our garden at the old house. We even had a badger wander through it in broad daylight once
Old 01-20-2021, 01:32 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks Toots - sage advice and I welcome being reminded often. It is really easy to do nothing but work for me, so I am really trying to set aside some family and activity time. Hubby and I finished our bridge over the creek last weekend:

It looks great and so much easier to cross now!

The town where I live has a fox problem. They are a real predator to our marine turtles when the hatchlings are heading from nest to ocean - not to mention the damage foxes do to all our small native wildlife. I really don't like them. Up here the Council is using fox-sniffing dogs to find dens. They are having a small win in reducing fox numbers, but there are plenty around. I've had no sign of them at my place yet which is really good as I have the bush stone curlew nesting on the ground in the front yard - easy prey.

Take care all. I'm off to work, hi-ho.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:05 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Coz - nice bridge. Really looks good, and I bet it keeps your feet drier than jumping across.

Foxes here are really good for the environment. They keep the population of mice and other nuscence wildlife down a bit. Do people guard the turtle nests and keep the hatchlings free from predation till they reach the water?. In Florida there are volunteer groups that do that - not because of predation as much as lights from the street. It draws the hatchlings away from the water. Untill they hatch people also keep an eye out for predators and the nests are protected with a ring of fencing.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:19 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Hi Undies
Sorry I disappeared for a while.
I’m back with a new less stressful job, phew!
I had to let my previous job go because it was causing me way too much stress and anxiety. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders
Old 01-21-2021, 11:53 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Hi Willow really good to see you. Glad you made the necessary changes to free your life of unnecessary stress sweetie.

Coz that bridge is awesome!

Charon, foxes here are destructive, yes they eat small prey but will take an easier animal if they can. Chickens are at risk, and a fox will slaughter an entire hen house even if he then only takes one away to eat.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:14 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Coz

Great to have you back Willow! Can you tell us what your new job is?

Charon - our coastline is too long and there is no way we could have people stationed at all the nests or fence all the nests. There are some areas where there is really active management of turtle beaches, but unfortunately, there are not enough resources or a strong enough environmental awareness in our communities to really help the turtles. The poor things have to put up with cars driving over their nests, lighting, feral predators at night, native bird predation during the day, sharks and big fish when the get to the water, and now too many girls 'cause the sand is getting to hot to make males. Getting rid of the foxes is just a small step in helping our wildlife survive.

The bridge is mostly made from the old deck we pulled up and replaced. The old timbers have been repurposed into lots of different things, but alas, there are only a few really scrappy pieces left to turn into a bird or possum box. It is lots of work getting the timber thicknessed and sanded, but I love the recycled look. The rope was the final touch and I am pleased with it.

Big hi and hugs to all. Take care.....

Old 01-22-2021, 07:19 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Coz - sorry the turtles have such dire things to fight through just to stay alive. Wonder what would happen to humans if they had similar obsticles. I'd bet the human species would die out rather quickly.

Toots - I bet the foxes do the same in any places where there are easy pickings. No easy meals sitting around here. I've got a woods in the middle of a suburb. No farm animals. Just wild stuff that the foxes have to really work for. I've heard the same about weasels. They run amuk and go on a killing frenzy till everything is dead and then eat only the brains.

I'm doing OK. The walks with Ruthless - even when I am down and don't want to - are a blessing. It gets me out and moving instead of slumping in my recliner or staying in bed. Antabuse is a blessing as well.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:33 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Coz, it’s working in an office for a small local company, various stuff like answering phones, paperwork, orders, looking after stock etc, so low key and not very stressful. Nice friendly people and only a small business so only a few employees who are all really nice

We’ve had lots of rain and the garden is going nuts, so this weekend is lots of pruning and tidying up in the garden. Have a lovely weekend guys
Old 01-22-2021, 07:53 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Hello friends!
Old 01-23-2021, 12:16 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Hey Free2b how's it going?

Willow that sounds perfect! I sometimes wish I had a part time job to go to, but as we spend so much time in Spain it would not be feasible. I hope to do some volunteer work once the pandemic eases enough for things to begin to open up again.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Hi Free2b - good to see you.

It's sunny even though cold - 18°F right now - colder when Ruthie & I went for our morning walk.

I'm cooking a pork stir fry tonight so I'll be doing prep work most of the day. Then a flurry of mad activity at dinner time. Lots of prep for about 10 minutes of cooking. LOL I'll prep enough to make it two or three nights in a row and vary the ingreadients a wee bit each night. That makes all the prep give more bang for the buck.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:38 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Hi Free
Old 01-23-2021, 02:40 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi everyone

Willow - that job sounds just perfect! So does the rain (we need some more down here). How are you going with the not drinking? I sort of struggled with a strange feeling last time I quit. I'm not going to get the words right, but I was sort of questioning myself on whether it was the right time to quit again - really silly thoughts as I had already plummeted to the 24/7 drinking routine, saying awful things to poor hubby and his visiting rellies, not getting anything done and all the things I really hate about drinking.

Charon - what dedication to dinner! My stir fries are one of our quick and easy dinners. Chop up a few things, make up a sauce and chuck them in the wok in the right order. Are you going out pig hunting to start with? Hope it tastes great and the effort is worth it.

Free - hello back

Toots - hi and thank you again for always being here and being such a great support!

A bit of a lazy day planned here. Probably just get out in the yard and continue the never ending weeding task, maybe a beach walk and some do nothing time. Very tempted to get a step ahead on next week's work, but I will try not to.

Take care all....

Old 01-23-2021, 11:26 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Thanks Coz! My weeds are rampant but with the freezing temps or rain lately, I haven't been out there, it's one thing to golf when it's -2C, it's quite another to try to dig up weeds! ( and even golfing will be bloody sore this morning at those temps, feels like -5C with wind chill factored in. I do sometimes feel you need to be in the right headspace to make that commitment to stopping drinking actually work, but sometimes you just need to stop and the commitment comes with the achievement of the passing sober days. For me I hit my personal rock bottom and just didn't like the person I saw in the mirror.

Charon, like Coz, my stir fries are quick efforts! Enjoy yours.

I have a giant leg of lamb defrosting for tea, it was a bargain at the store, discounted as it was at its due to sell date, instead of reducing it £3.65 per kg, they discounted it to that price for the leg! I was made up and picked it up and froze it when I got home. It will last us a week in various incarnations!
Old 01-24-2021, 09:38 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Coz & Toots - unfortunately the stir fry came out lousy (at least for me - Mrs loved it). On Mrs urging, I cut corners and used some frozen snow peas, and frozen broccoli and all on me, I somehow overcooked the rice. To me it was pretty tasteless mush. I'm going to add some Spicey Szechaun sauce and pumpkin seeds and make fresh rice to see if I can choke down another helping. Otherwise I'll order a pizza or make a peanut butter sandwich and Mrs can have it all to herself. Last time I use frozen anything in a stir fry. At least the pork was perfect - tender & juicy, Live and learn.

I guess I piddle around doing prep for the stir fry. It actually didn't take long yesterday, or any day, for that matter. I just take my time cutting all the ingredients to precise sizes according to how they cook and feel in your mouth and really trim out the meat so there is absolutely no fat or membrane. I know, I know. I'm way too fussy.

It got to 6°F (-14.4°C) overnight. Ruthie still enjoyed our morning walk out through our woods. I have a coverall with hood that is almost too warm if I wear more than a T-shirt and Ruthie has a heavy sweater that Mrs made from a sleve of one of mine and a quilted coat over that. However, I will be happy when spring gets here.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:33 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi everyone
Monday morning here, and a drizzly day just perfect for an indoor day at work.

Charon - maybe you are a bit fussy, but that trait is a requirement of a master chef! I occasionally use some frozen veges in my stir fries, but you are right, they are not as good, so only do that when I'm on to emergency food supplies. We usually do noodles instead of rice - impossible to stuff them up! Hope your next one turns out better for you and Mrs.

Toots - I so wouldn't go out in those temperatures. Far too cold for me. Although, a holiday to snow country is always lovely! Hope your lamb turns out great. My favourite for legs of lamb is the slow cooker. I think I'm a very lazy cook, but love that you can just put it on in the morning and by dinner it just falls off the bone and is so very tasty.

Willow - how did you go over the weekend? Are you feeling healthy and a little bit relaxed? I am thinking of you and sending you cyber hugs.

FK - if you are out there. Please check in sometime and let us undies know what it is like post-graduation!

Kaptn, Free2b, Purps, Dee, Everyone reading...

Old 01-24-2021, 02:28 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Coz, I agree, the not drinking after having a relapse is difficult because the AV ramps up in its trying to justify why it’s ok to drink. But I know that the longer we don’t drink, the weaker the AV gets, so we just have to hang in there, one day at a time, and it slowly gets easier to resist with time. I hope that one day I will barely notice the AV...

Toots, I think you’re right about being in the right head space to commit to not drinking, but also sometimes you just have to stop and the commitment comes with time. Because I think the right head space waxes and wanes for me. Sometimes I feel strong in my resolve and other times I don’t feel strong at all. Sometimes I’m barely hanging on, so it’s just a matter of hanging on for dear life and not drinking until the waves pass over. And come to SR for support when I need it. I think that’s what I forget to do sometimes, I forget to come and post if I’m feeling my resolve wavering.

I had a lovely relaxing weekend, with some gardening and a walk on the beach yesterday

I hope everyone is going ok
Old 01-25-2021, 12:27 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Good to hear you all seem to be doing well and feeling good about where you are in life and in recovery, long may it last!

Willow there were many times in early recovery that it would have been too easy for me to pick up a drink. I know that the longer I go finding alternative solutions to situations I would have drunk under, the easier it gets not to pick up. Nowadays I rarely even give it a thought.

I love the simplicity that life without drink brings. I no longer spend my time thinking about and planning for my next drink. Holidays can be planned without worrying when I will be able to drink, family occasions are not the struggle to remain upright. Life is calmer, I don't have the high highs or low lows I used to get, some would call it boring, I call it improved.

Charon, sounds like you are a perfectionist, do you feel that sometimes your drinking comes around when you expect too much of yourself or of those around you? It makes a wonderful chef, but perhaps a difficult task master.