Notices

Class of May 2020 part 11

Old 11-27-2020, 08:02 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Venus- I loved your reply to if you are cooking. I'm not a big fan of turkey. Thankfully hubby isn't either so I never have to cook it. I have in the past but we both realized a few years back that we really don't like it so I stopped. I too have become a huge fan of eggs. I have found that they make me feel quite good so we always stock up on them.
Hope you all are having a lovely sober evening. I'm happy to be going to bed sober. There is something very satisfying about knowing that when I wake up tomorrow I won't feel like crap. A hangover will be far from me. I won't need advil to get through the morning. I won't hate myself. Coffee will be something to be made slowly in the French press and to be enjoyed just because- not because I need it to try and get over being drunk the night before.
Night all.
Hope
Old 11-28-2020, 05:46 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Free.

I like your hummingbird pic Hope.
I had a downy woodpecker in my tree last evening. Hadn’t seen one in a long time.

Sipping a coffee. Listening to doggie snoring.

Have a calm, enjoyable, sober day all!

Old 11-28-2020, 06:10 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Free.

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
.....something like "If nothing changes, nothing changes"......
s xx
I’m glad you mention this Venus.
It helps me in two ways: One is an affirmation that I am making positive changes. The other is some honest reflection as to “how much work have I done lately to maintain my physical/spiritual/emotional health and my sobriety?”

I’m proud that:
- I post here everyday.
- I’ve come to trust others (you guys) with my feelings.
-I’m reaching out lately and posting when things are tough. (new for me) (big change)
- I research many items related to recovery and wellbeing. (following Karen’s lead here)
- more, I’m sure.

I can work on:
- trusting
- being in touch with real flesh and blood people in my vicinity.
- Looking into some forward growth on some core issues.
- being more considerate and open.
- defending my ‘bubble’
- letting go.
- doing more housework.
- getting my doc appointment.
-more...

One day at a time.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Free.

When I re-read my previous post I see an item in the “work” category that terrifies me.
Maybe I’ll start there.

Me, me ,me,me ,me ,me,me....grr.... this can’t be overly good.

(The screaming meemees).

Old 11-28-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

I love your thoughtful post, TC. I'm thinking along those lines, too. Now that I don't have to waste my time and energy all on alcohol and fixing the messes I make, I have time to think about what I want in life. I wonder which item under the 'work' category scared you. For me I think it would be forming relationships. 'Getting in touch with real flesh and blood people'. Of course, with the pandemic that's not really easy right now anyway. But, I can spend more time on the phone with them.
I loved not cooking on Thanksgiving. I did explode a glass dish by setting it on the burner. I was making 'squash boats'. They are so yummy. But, I had to throw it all away after the explosion. I think it's amazing that I didn't get cut, it was a very thick pie plate. Glad I was sober!
I'm grateful that I don't drink anymore.
Sending love and hugs to all of you.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredCarpenter View Post
When I re-read my previous post I see an item in the “work” category that terrifies me.
Maybe I’ll start there.

Me, me ,me,me ,me ,me,me....grr.... this can’t be overly good.

(The screaming meemees).
It's the housework, right? s

I see the work you have done.....all of you actually....this is a very we are works in progress and proud of it thread, I think.

I have an idea for us that isn't me me me and we will all enjoy it....plus we can do it separately but together.
A neighbourhood Secret Santa. Or not even secret.....just surprise.
I am going to get the same chocolates I got last year, providing I can, and make up tons of bags and deliver them to everyone in my street.

I bet we all have a thing....something we could share with love at this time of year?

Off to see if my chocolates are available.

EDIT.....they were. So all ordered plus gift tags.
I have tons of the little coloured chiffon bags from last year.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

That's a precious idea, Venus. I don't know my neighbors, except one, but it would still be a really nice thing to do. I need to get family gifts ordered since I'm not shopping.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 6 months nmd get well soon tho

TC hard as it is that’s not a million miles away from the kind of ‘fearless moral inventory folks in Aa talk about - I think it’s incredibly useful to do that from time to time.

best thoughts and wishes Hopeful, Dig, Suze and Karen

D
Old 11-28-2020, 12:48 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Morning D s xx

I don't know a lot of my neighbours either Karen.....it is going to be part of the fun.
I am going to gift tag them all with our first names and house no.
Also so no one is worried about where they came from and just throws them out.

I can't wait. Mega-excited. They will arrive early next week so I will do them then.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Free.

That is a really nice sharing idea Venus. Especially that distancing can still be accomplished. I’m sure people will appreciate that.

Karen, it is interesting that getting together with actual people is frightening. You nailed it. That is my tough one.
I did a thorough step five with an much touted AA person. He decided I was a bad guy and about a week later police were standing on my front step asking me questions. Several months later when I lapsed I called my (then) sponsor. Stepping into my meeting the next Sunday morning several members offered support. I wondered how they all knew my story. Many oldtimers in my city, though they feel it’s right, will share another member’s experience thinking it is in support, but really it is gossip.
So....I’m hurt.

I hope that you all have a decent day.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:58 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Free.

Edit: a bit of cross posting....
Venus, yes, how did you know the housework terrifies me? lmao

Dee: thanks for the kind words. Yes, scary, but necessary (introspection).

Be well all!
Love to you kind folks.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Nah, that is not even a little bit ok.
I have never known of a sponsor who did that....it is all kinds of wrong.
Totally not AA at all....I am so surprised and really really sorry that happened to you dear TC. s xx
Old 11-28-2020, 02:24 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Coz

Wow TC - that was a really great sharing post. Thank you. Certainly gave me food for thought too. I can absolutely relate to areas to work on - particularly finding ways to be comfortable with other real people and trust. For me the two go hand in hand. I think we have all been burnt when trusting someone comes back and bits. I don't talk with my mother for the same reason - I became the topic for her social conversations - never the good bits, just the what I do wrong. Then I have the strong introvert personality and a lack of self confidence. I guess SR works for me because if avoids the 'real people' and our thoughts, words or actions can't turn into the town gossip. It is a safe place.

Karen - so pleased you survived the glass explosion. That would have been really scary - not to mention a waste of your hard work.

Hope - great to see your new hummingbird. A lovely image. Did you take it? Also really great that you are happy with beating the AV and finding the little joys of morning coffee without a hangover.

Suze - what a lovely and neighbourly gesture! You are so thoughtful. I am making Christmas gifts for the neighbour's either side of me, the members of my work Committee (my nine bosses) and hubby's boss. This year I am making mini wishing wells. I'm trying to come up with some words to put in the 'bucket' but having trouble with that bit. I'm trying to say that 2020 was not great and here's a wishing well for you to make a wish for something to make you happy in 2021. Any ideas of lovely class members? Not too soppy (not close friends), but somehow meaningful and heartfelt.

And for all the US turkeys - congrats on surviving thanksgiving, at least from the May 2020 class perspective! Watch your eggs though - they seem to be on the menu!

Hi and hugs to all the May class members and our talented and wonderful supporters.

Willow - hope your camping trip was a success. Welcome home! Looking forward to your photos.

for now. More wishing well making to be done today. I need to finish nine of them by this Thursday so must get moving as today is really my last chance.
Take care...
Old 11-28-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Coz

I nearly forgot to mention this, but I've now been sober for two months and haven't had a cigarette for 40 days.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:34 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Congrats dear Coz that is awesome!! s

Mini wishing wells made of what?
And I am thinking fill them with whatever sweet treats you like and add the message rolled up with a ribbon around it. xx
Old 11-28-2020, 02:39 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Coz

Wooden wishing wells - made from old pallets. I'll post a photo when I've finished some of them. I like the idea of the rolled message and sweets, but what do I write on the message? Big Suze - you are wonderful!

Old 11-28-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Exactly what you wish for them.....the better things in 2021, and whatever sentiments you want to add.....I think that will be just beautiful. And yes, scrolls, you can do an amazing artistic job of that.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:53 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

And it doesn't have to be food goods....it can be candles and oils and anything you want with a rolled up message.
And YOU are amazing Coz.....what a wonderful gift. s xx ❤️
Old 11-28-2020, 03:19 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Free.

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Nah, that is not even a little bit ok.
I have never known of a sponsor who did that....it is all kinds of wrong.
Totally not AA at all....I am so surprised and really really sorry that happened to you dear TC. s xx
Thanks so much Suze.

(warmed my heart a bit)

Old 11-28-2020, 03:28 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  
Free.

Coz: re sayings on cards: something about resilience.
”...we made it through this, we can.....”
or.... “ I see that you are as stubborn as a fence post....how else would you have made it,......haha!”
I suppose “THE END IS NIGH’ wouldn’t really be the way to go.
You don’t want your new associates pegging you as some sort of zealot.
I’m sure you’ll find an apt phrase or two.

Congrats on your milestones too! Yay you!!

Anyway... back to work for me, I’ve got a bunch of marking and entry to do.

Have a good day all!