Notices

Class of September 2020 Part 2

Old 09-26-2020, 05:37 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FutureMe View Post
Day 1. Again. Been a few days since I logged in. Had several days under my belt. Decided last night and also tonight to have a few drinks. Nothing crazy. No AV talking to me before or afterward.

I don't feel bad about it, or guilt, or shame. It happened. Time to start over and see how it goes. Been trying zoom AA a few times a day, but honestly I find myself wanting a drink during the meetings listening to all the sob stories that make me seem like a saint. I wish the meetings were in person so I felt more motivated.
I hear you on the sob stories. Something that was recommended to me was to go to Step meetings, Big Book Study meetings and similar rather than general sharing/ID meetings. If I had to sit and listen to people talk about how they drank, it makes me want to drink - no matter how bad things were for them. I find the Step and literature study meetings quite interesting.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:38 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jewel72 View Post
Escaping out of the wine vortex again. Day 1. Hopefully for the last time ever.

Not even sure why I went back again. I’m just not giving sobriety enough time. I’ve got to practice patience and endurance when the AV comes calling. I hate myself right now, but I know I’ll feel better tomorrow.
What do you do when you start to crave a drink? I have been collecting tools, plus I text some sober friends. I am about to leave to go a pub lunch with my family. *breathes into paper bag*. I'll post here when I get there and come back and post during if I need to.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:42 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Sunday morning here. I'm about to have a shower and get ready to head to the family birthday pub lunch. I'll check in here when I arrive and during. I'm driving myself rather than car pooling so I can leave whenever.

Freedomfries - do you play pokemon go? I think of all the eggs I could hatch if I walked 10k a day and I'm a little jealous!

Erica - what are you crocheting? I knit plain blanket squares for a charity that makes them into blankets but I haven't done any in a while. I have a book of crochet square patterns but I've never mastered crocheting.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love the Weis bars too. Never seem to see them around much now tho.

Here are some ideas for dealing with social occasions
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)
D
Old 09-26-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patcha View Post
Sunday morning here. I'm about to have a shower and get ready to head to the family birthday pub lunch. I'll check in here when I arrive and during. I'm driving myself rather than car pooling so I can leave whenever.

Freedomfries - do you play pokemon go? I think of all the eggs I could hatch if I walked 10k a day and I'm a little jealous!

Erica - what are you crocheting? I knit plain blanket squares for a charity that makes them into blankets but I haven't done any in a while. I have a book of crochet square patterns but I've never mastered crocheting.
No I dont play pokemon go. Perhaps I should!

It's 2:35am now. So say 10. Domuble digits! Unfortunately had another cookie binge. Need to quit that addiction if I'm to lose weight.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:51 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Day 10*. Double digits*.

Going to go for a run at 6am. (3am now, need to sort my sleep pattern).
Old 09-26-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Erica375

DOUBLE DIGITS!!! Way to go, Freedom Fries!!! It's j6st after 10 p.m. here and I can barely keep my eyes open. Time for bed. 😴
Old 09-26-2020, 07:19 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Wrapping up day 1. Thank you all. See you tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:52 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Wake Your Dreams

Congrats on getting through that first awful day Jewel72.

I went for a ride up in the mountains to see the fall colors. We went to a lake I have never been to before. It was a very nice day 13 for me. Haven't had time to read everyone's posts here yet. Hope all is well with everyone.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:55 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

I couldn't check in at the pub because I couldn't get internet coverage. Didn't drink and now on my way home.

Freedomfries - I love pokemon go. I've played it in multiple countries and there is a nice community around it online.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:37 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Fell back asleep. Awake now at 5:35am and ready to start my day. Going to do w1d3 of c25k at 6am and then a short walk for a total of 4km. Then have some protein for breakfast. Not going to beat myself up for my cookie binge. My diet starts today.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:14 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Just back from my run. Good start to the day. Going to go for a 6km walk later to bring my daily total to 10km. As long as I can kick my cookie monster I should start losing weight.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:43 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Sharkez

I hear you on the sob stories. Something that was recommended to me was to go to Step meetings, Big Book Study meetings and similar rather than general sharing/ID meetings. If I had to sit and listen to people talk about how they drank, it makes me want to drink - no matter how bad things were for them. I find the Step and literature study meetings quite interesting.
I couldn't get with AA either. I found them to be morose, self indulgent affairs but also occasionally funny. I just didn't like the format of one person talking at a time rather than a having a debate. The fundamental nature of being labeled as a powerless addict for life was unacceptable to me. I also struggle with the label of addiction as a disease. For me it's a response to trauma but you still have to choose to use. I understand that may be an unpopular opinion but there you go.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:47 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

AA isn't for me either. I find Rational Recovery speaks to me the most.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:51 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Sharkez

Not far off a month now. Things have been moving in the right direction and overall I feel much better. Yesterday I signed up to do a self improvement course which a friend has been trying to get me to do for ages so I'm looking forward to that. There's prospect of work on the horizon too which would be a bonus.

However, I'm still carrying around this feeling or frustrated resentment which I don't like but I'm hoping that will resolve itself the more positive steps I take to improve my lot.

Hope you have all had a nice weekend.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:32 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

What is the course sharkez? I was just reflecting that I've always been keen on self help books and the like. There are still things about myself I'm working on but overall my self esteem is pretty healthy these days.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:53 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Dee that social occasions survival guide is really good and would recommend to anyone worrying about a social occasion coming up wether you’re worried about it or not always worthwhile to be as prepared as possible thanks dee and stay strong all srf and ss 🤗
Old 09-27-2020, 03:09 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a good link for sure Kev
Old 09-27-2020, 03:47 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Just back from a 6km walk. So that makes 10km today. Exercise is going well. If I could just stop binge eating.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:54 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Wake Your Dreams

Originally Posted by Sharkez View Post
I couldn't get with AA either. I found them to be morose, self indulgent affairs but also occasionally funny. I just didn't like the format of one person talking at a time rather than a having a debate. The fundamental nature of being labeled as a powerless addict for life was unacceptable to me. I also struggle with the label of addiction as a disease. For me it's a response to trauma but you still have to choose to use. I understand that may be an unpopular opinion but there you go.
Sorry AA didn't work for you. It worked for me once a long time ago so I am returning to AA. It's the one thing that helped me stay sober for the longest period of time as an adult. I believe it is A solution but not the only solution. Whatever works for you, or anyone, I support 100%. I have to admit I am curious as to how debating addiction helps one to stay sober. On that note, for me, my addiction is not a response to trauma. There was no trauma in my life when I picked up for the first time. I don't know if addiction is a disease or not and for me that really doesn't matter. I just know where alcohol takes me when I pick up. I know I am at a point where it is killing me. Liver, kidneys, esophogus, heart. It's just a matter of which organ gives out first at this point.
I agree with you Patcha. Not all AA meetings are created equal. Some are just plain unhealthy for me. I have no use for meetings that don't focus on the solution. Then again the sob story meetings appear to work for some people. I know of people who love those kinds of meetings. They go to them every day and they have far more sobriety then me.

Whatever works I am open to. I'm always interested in hearing how people achieve long term sobriety. It has been elusive for me to this point.