Notices

Class of May 2020 part 7

Old 07-23-2020, 07:36 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Crossed a major hurdle yesterday when my husband was at the store picking up a few things for Saturday. We have two people coming over for work related business for a few hours. After that I'm having them for a while- don't know how long. So I will serve them some simple food. Sorry- back to what I was talking about. He called from the store and asked if he should go ahead and pick up a bottle of wine for Saturday while he was there. I said sure. I didn't want to have to do it and he had already found out that's what they like. He then asked me if he should get one or two. Two was key for am I drinking. I told him one.
Not looking forward to this.
Hope
Old 07-23-2020, 07:40 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Hope

Congrats on 61 days!

Good news that your test came out negative. It sort of means that you don't have to fear passing it onto others despite the symptoms being gone. Hope your daughter gets well soon.

I gather from your missing post that you are in food preparation mode this weekend. Please tell me more! I'm in experiment cooking mode at the moment. It started when having to entertain last weekend and my realisation that I need to feel more confident in preparing and presenting yummy food - normally I just make something easy and put no effort into presentation when it is just hubby and I - so I am now in practice mode for any future occasions.

Have another great sober day .
Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Coz

Crossed-posted Hope!

I don't envy your weekend. Sounds like my last weekend. I found it rather stressful and not so enjoyable - I am sure you will deal with it better than I did and serve up some thing wonderful, even if it is simple.
Don't forget that you hate that wine that you are serving - tastes awful and will make you sick for years ....
Old 07-23-2020, 08:31 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Free.

Back from a short vacay to the homestead.
Was a great time for me. Went back to a spot I haven’t seen in at least 35 years. It is ISOLATED. Would go with my Grandma or Dad or Uncle into a little lake where a kind old bachelor lived. (We called him uncle Jim) he was a friend of family. His well water was stuff of legend. I remember walking a little trail from his small home down to nearer the lake. At the base of two great spruce tree was this man’s well. We would draw up the cold, crisp water.

Yesterday I saw the remnant bald grey stumps of the two enormous spruce one snapped off at about the 30 ft mark. Gray barkless and bleached. The other quite shorter, the place had changed much, the sun shone quite brightly into the once cool and much forested place, but I saw the two strong sentinel spruce as I was standing under them in awe as they reached the clouds when I first saw then at age six. (until about age 14).
Such a beautiful and profound memory for me.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:34 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Thank you Coz. Yes, I'm going through a bit of a stress because I haven't hosted people in quite a while. This will be nothing major. I'm planning on having a cold pasta salad containing lots of fresh veggies. The pasta salad is all about prep which I will do tomorrow. I will also serve a tray of cheese, crackers and fresh fruit. I'm also making homemade peach ice cream. I think it will be fine. I just don't feel super able to be fun with no drinking. They will probably do some singing later because my husband sings and so does the woman coming. So it will be interesting.
Hope
Old 07-23-2020, 08:41 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Coz

Great to have you back TC!

Beautiful poetic words to describe what sounds likes a place that was both beautiful and special to you. It is kind of sad to see such places change, but also wonderful to know that they have the same sentinels and bring back fond memories.

Any sign of the well?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:46 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Coz

Thoughts are with you Hope!

Your food concept sounds great. Lovely and fresh and healthy, simple, but with that personalised home-made touch.

Enjoy the singing!

Old 07-23-2020, 09:00 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Free.

From our homestead nestled in the mature spruce and aspen of ‘the aspen parkland’ region, the road extends nearly 1.5 miles North until it vanishes at the southern edge of “porcupine forest” no road northward until civilization returns about 35 miles north of there. Except one road, a path really, you’ll only see the approach if you know it’s there, then by 4x4 vehicle, with care, the near-invisible trail winds north at least another mile past 3 low-spots that would deter 98% of curious to “uncle Jim’s cabin.”
WAY ISOLATED. It must have been heaven for the old fellow.
He would sometimes walk the near three miles trek in his mid-eighties to visit my Grandma also in her eighties. A skinny, tan-weathered, white-haired man with a .22 rifle in hand.

Sensational people living at forest, quite isolated without modern amenities.

My heart is full.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Free.

I’m sooooo selfish with the posts today......so excited to share.

Though I’m reasonably intelligent I can’t muster the words to describe my Grandma, except to explain that , even now, 31 years since her passing (in her late 80’s), family still get together at ‘Grandma’s farm’ for a reunion every 5 years or so. Such a splendid woman. Warm, funny, intelligent, easy-going.....

My heart was in a dark place, thank you all for the support. I guess I had forgotten who I am.

Much Love.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:46 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Free.

Hope: Hope your event goes well!

take care.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:51 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Coz

Thank you for sharing TC. What a wonderful break for you. A journey back in time that sounds like just what you needed to find yourself and wipe the worries away for a while.

I have a mental picture of the homestead, but I am probably putting a real Aussie slant on my image. Do you have a photo(s) that you are comfortable to share?

I hope your heart is feeling bright and warm again. When your heart is happy, your sober journey will be some much smoother.

💛
Old 07-24-2020, 01:44 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like you had a good break but it is good to see you back TC

Hope everyone has a good weekend

D
Old 07-24-2020, 05:56 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Welcome home, TC! Your grandmother sounds so wonderful. And your Uncle Jim. And the incredible woods they lived in! I'm so glad you got to go. It sounds like a restorative trip.
Dig, it's good to hear from you, too. We missed you! I wanted to see the comet so much, but haven't really tried yet. I would probably need to go to Stone Mountain to see it. I'm not even sure that it's open. Thanks for sharing the picture of it. So beautiful. I love astronomy.
Hope, your dinner sounds so yummy. Exactly the sort of food I love. I'm sorry you have to have a drinking at your house, though. That is really rough. It happens here on fairly rare occasions. But, I get to hide away in my room with my grandson, so for me it's really not bad. Having to be the hostess would be harder. I think I would prepare for it kind of like I do going to the dentist. I have a fear of dentists. So, I just tell myself, 'this has to happen, no way around it, so just tolerate it and it will be over soon'. I'm sending hugs and lots of support. Can you run away for a few minutes in the middle of it and send us a note to let us know how it's going?
I'm doing more cooking now, too. My energy has been so much better for the past couple of days. I hope it carries through today, too.
Hugs and love to all. (In my effort to eventually use all of the smileys, I couldn't think of anywhere else this one would fit, and it's cute)
Old 07-24-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
Thanks Dig

Great news that you are finding sobriety easier as time goes on. Today is 11 weeks sober for me and I am finding is a bit easier, although still think about drinking a lot, but they are mostly just passing thoughts with cravings becoming far less. I look forward to having a whole day with out thoughts of alcohol, but I guess it is good at the moment, because it is keeping me very aware of being cautious about complacency.

I just did a quick visit to the google to find out more about Neowise. You had a once in a lifetime experience and you got it on camera! Apparently it wont be back for 6,800 years when it leaves our skies at the end of the month. Us southern hemisphere people don't get to see it for real - only pictures from those lucky and skilled enough to get photos in the northern hemisphere. It's 5 km wide and travels without our traditional power - quite amazing.

Thanks for sharing and for no...
hi Coz / thanks for sharing your progress... thoughts are just fine remember! there's a very clear difference between thoughts and cravings! but i do hear ya on wanting to have even less thoughts and maybe that's because you've not become complacent... or that you're head is in the right place protecting what you're working so hard for!!! accepting that thoughts will always be there, just like any other thoughts your brain serves up... and that's normal...

as for the comet, i was actually wondering about the southern hemisphere... my limited knowledge of the night skies was telling me the southern hemisphere wouldn't get a chance to see it, but hey we are working hard in the northern hemisphere to get all the views and photos in that we can

take care
Old 07-24-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Free.

Hi everyone.
It is great to see your names again.
Glad you’re doing well.

Hope, I’m glad of your results. Good news!
Maria: was the hair shave thing a Sinead O’Connor moment?
I cut my own with clippers too, WL. Got myself one of those bare strips at back of my head once too. Thank goodness I’m a ballcap guy.
Dig: keep your eyes on the skies! A lot going on lately, I’m told.Wife and I are thinking of a camping trip to an observatory this Aug.
Stay safe in Georgia, Karen.
Thanks for the WELCOME BACK! Coz, made me smile.
Good to see Venus, Dee, Lily, Fallow and everyone. Will catch up better over time.

Just passed the 7 days sober mark! Glad to have survived it. Keeping an eye on my liver health a bit. Feeling well on the most past. My spirit is much lifted,so, more content.

Be well SRers!

Old 07-24-2020, 10:55 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 days, TC!
I know, after I relapsed last time, even though it wasn't a long relapse, it was when I got to a week that I felt like I was going to make it back for sure.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:56 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Coz

Quick post to say hi and wish everyone a lovely sober weekend.

Not a lot planned for me. Going to work on re-decking an entrance to one of the front doors, shop at the local produce market and potter in the garden. We've been invited to a Christmas in July party tonight. I'm no keen on going at all - it will be a drinking party and I will only know the host. I do need to get out and start meeting people, but this event doesn't appeal on many fronts. Hopefully hubby will be OK with not going, but he too wants to meet some people and might want to go for a bit - then I will have to decide whether to go with him or not.

Anyway, take care and look after yourselves.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:13 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope every one has a good weekend

D
Old 07-24-2020, 05:36 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Kitten

It would be great to hear from you! How's everything?
Old 07-24-2020, 06:48 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Hi all! What did you decide about the party, Coz?
I've had a very quiet evening. Just thought I'd stop in and say hello. I didn't know you could plan a camping trip at an observatory. That sounds so wonderful, especially if you had a camper instead of a tent.
Sweet dreams or happy evening to all.