Notices

Class of May 2020 part 7

Old 07-23-2020, 05:33 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that, Fallow. I love to hear from people who are glad they quit. Quitting smoking is something like quitting drinking, I think. I love using my computer for SR. I had a really hard time with it on my phone.
I'll also stay here as well as in another thread, and I think 'one year and under' is a great one. I'm so glad you went there, too, Coz.
Congrats on 75 days! I rarely have thoughts of drinking now. It's such an incredible blessing not to have that pull toward it. Yesterday I had a moment of thinking about it, like 'what if I drank today and got back to sobriety right away?'. But it didn't sound good at all. The thought of being drunk had no appeal. I would have paid all I had to get that, and it was free! Lots to be happy about.
I'll also post in the quit smoking thread. Maybe others will join us, I'm sure the virus is getting a lot of people thinking about the health danger of smoking.
I hope today is another great sober day for all of us.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:21 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I smoke the rare cigarette. I quit years ago, as far as buying a pack. I get a massive head rush and have to sit down when I do. I can't handle it anymore Haha.

Maria, don't try to shave your head like me. I screwed up the back of my head with the clippers I bought. The hairdresser is a good idea. Or Coz seems quite handy. Probably could cut our hair!
Old 07-23-2020, 09:59 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Based on talking about it here I put my smoking quit date in my sobriety calculator. Today I have 2293 days without smoking.

When I quit I had slowly went down from a pack per day at my worst to half a pack. Then down to just 3 or 4 a day. This took place over a couple years. I quit buying smokes then and would only smoke when I was drinking with friends.

Soon after my son was born I knew I wanted to quit entirely. I bummed a cigarette from a buddy one morning after a brunch where we were drinking. As I smoked it I said that is going to the last one. I was scared of possible health issues. Still am.

I didn't have too much issue with it. Once the decision was made it was done. I have had urges here and there especially when I was real drunk. But I knew I would have the hangover of the century if I smoked so I was able to abstain
Old 07-23-2020, 11:09 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

2293 days, Fallow!! Fantastic! I have thought a lot about cutting down smoking instead of quitting outright. I know it works for some, and I love your story. I think I don't have time for that, though, because of what it's doing to my health. Staying sober will always come first though. Without sobriety, my chances of anything else at all are pretty much shot.

I tried trimming my own hair, too. Fortunately I only cut a little. How bad is it, WL? Mine is not really noticeable, I don't think.
I do not feel safe going to a hair salon yet. Georgia is on fire with the virus and I'm really at risk. So, I think I'll just keep using gel and try to make the best of it.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

hi everyone / still here and still sober and on Day #117 // i hope it's okay that i step back a bit and drop by every so often

i tend to get down on myself when I don't "keep up" and I think I'm experiencing a good kind of FOMO right now insofar as I'm constantly on the go and worrying that i'm missing things to do, or letting others down because i dont give certain thing the time they deserve, etc.

i am so fortunate though to have finally found success (thus far) with sobriety and SR and more specifically this group in particular are a huge part of this for me...

so with that, i am here and i am around and if there was stumble this would be the first place i'd come, probably within minutes!

i see that lots has happened since i last dropped in and with that i do want to congratulate and send virtual high fives to each of you... for those that are struggling or may have stumbled pls remember us here at SR and keep going and keep trying...

as for what i've been up to... comet hunting actually! i have gotten back into my love for amateur astronomy and astrophotography:

Old 07-23-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Coz

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I smoke the rare cigarette. I quit years ago, as far as buying a pack. I get a massive head rush and have to sit down when I do. I can't handle it anymore Haha.

Maria, don't try to shave your head like me. I screwed up the back of my head with the clippers I bought. The hairdresser is a good idea. Or Coz seems quite handy. Probably could cut our hair!
WL - thanks for posting again!

I like your ability to smoke the occasional cigarette - it is so not me unfortunately. So quitting is the only real option - a lot like alcohol.

And I laughed at your comment about my hairdressing ability. I do cut hubby's hair every month or so and used to cut my kids hair when they were little - but they are all easy hair do's. No chance of being able to do mine - I can't see behind my head and not great with working with mirrors (you should see me reversing a trailer! - it's like watching a drunken snake!). At least you can't see the back of your head. It probably looks fine to other people.

Keep up your great sobriety work. From your posts, you are a much nicer person without the booze. The transformations in your posts over time is wonderful to see.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:51 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hello, classmates. I passed the 3-month mark yesterday. Today is day 92.

Ah, smoking. I quit the week before Christmas 2006 and was very busy over the holidays. But then in January I was in a terrible anxiety spiral, which developed into spiraling obsessive worry, which led to the discover of how alcohol blunts obsessive worrying thoughts, and that's then the daily drinking began. By comparison, the past 3 months have been much easier than giving up smoking. I don't say that to discourage anyone -- it's so important to quit. But it's also very difficult. In retrospect, a tapering off with nicotine gum might have served me better than cold turkey. But who knows?

Old 07-23-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

ItsMaria, I live in a hot spot and I'm too chicken to go get a haircut. Instead, I ordered hair cutting shears and texturizing scissors from Amazon, and I'm cutting my bangs and letting the rest grow. So looking forward to the day I can go for manicure, pedicure, highlights, and a professional cut. But at least I'm saving some cash during the pandemic.

Dig12, I saw your post about 117 days. So awesome! Congratulations!

Coz, the pardalote palace sign is perfect! You'll have a bird's eye view (ha! see what I did there?) when fledglings emerge.

TC, I'm so glad to see that you are sticking with us and adding up days.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Coz

Fallow - great and inspiring post about quitting smoking. You did make it sound quite easy. I have given up in the past when pregnant and that wasn't so hard, but always started again afterwards. I am figuring if I can get through the first couple of weeks, it will be easier this time mostly because there are far fewer smokers around now days and it is so less socially acceptable with more and more places that smoking is prohibited.
I am still curious about your avatar image. It appears to be a cygnet? I am an admirer of swans - they are beautiful and graceful, and importantly to me, they mate for life and the male pulls his weight in building the nest and sharing the incubating of the eggs and caring for the young.

Karen - great that we can share your smoke quitting journey on the nicotine thread. It is so good to know that you might post there too. It was going to be a bit lonely on that thread. I can only hope that giving up smoking is easier than giving up booze. Time will tell!
And you are good trying to trim your own hair. I put that in the impossible basket for myself. Maybe you could ask one of your many house companions to assist? (maybe not the grandson though!).
Old 07-23-2020, 03:08 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I waited too late and could not go back and edit more... glad to see that others have reported easier times quitting smoking. No doubt having an anxiety disorder made it worse in my case than it would be otherwise.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:23 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Dig

Wonderful to hear from you

Of course it is OK to post every so often! It is great to hear from you and know that you are doing fantastically in your sobriety quest. Many congrats on 117 days!
Four months or a third of 2020 is just around the corner. I hope you don't stumble now, but also get that it only takes one bad decision to ruin the progress that we've made.
When you next post, please let us know if it is getting easier now. Are the thoughts and cravings becoming rare? Is it easier to deal with cravings and negative emotions?

And that night sky/comet photo is fantastic! What a great interest to have. Where did you take the photo? There are some bright lights in the background, but there also seem to be a sky full of stars. I love star gazing when away camping (and a little bit at home) and have an app to help me with identification of constellations - there is so much out there. Does that comet have a name? Great photo!

Until next time - take care of yourself and keep up the great work. ⭐🌠⭐
Old 07-23-2020, 03:37 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Lily

Congrats (although a day late) on reaching the three months of sobriety milestone!

Thanks for sharing your quitting smoking story. One of my fears and the reason (or one of the reasons) I have procrastinated on quitting is how I will deal with the emotions associated with quitting nicotine and the smoking habit. My sobriety is more important to me than quitting cigarettes, but I have many reasons for wanting to get out of that addiction too. I am reading tales of others quitting smoking so I am as prepared as I can be on what to expect and plan accordingly. Yours is the first story I have heard about it leading to daily drinking - a good bit of knowledge about that possibility for me - so thanks!

You take care of yourself.
(PS - top bird humour! I think she has laid eggs now as it seems that there is less movement and one bird is staying in the nest for much longer. Soif all goes well, I might get some images of the babies in a few weeks!)
Old 07-23-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Hi ya Coz!

The thoughts are becoming rarer and the cravings have flat-lined at zero for probably at least two weeks now. I'm a much happier person in general and each day feels just a bit easier if that makes sense. I'm also guarded though. I haven't been sober this long ever, so each day to me is new territory to be careful with as I go through it. My negative emotions right now more less revolve around frustration over what I missed all these years. I'm learning though to "stay in the present moment" because we all have to accept we can't go back and change our pasts.

I took this photograph in the near Sudbury, Ontario, Canada and the bright orange'ish light are from a nearby mining operation. It really wasn't that bright though and what you're seeing is just a product of the exposure length needed to get the comet's tail to show nicely. The comet is named NEOWISE. In the northern hemisphere it's easy to spot because it's unmistakably just beneath the Big Dipper (or the north-westerly skies). Even in a city with lights it would be bright enough to see using binoculars!

I'll be around from time-to-time. Stay sober!!!

Old 07-23-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks Dig

Great news that you are finding sobriety easier as time goes on. Today is 11 weeks sober for me and I am finding is a bit easier, although still think about drinking a lot, but they are mostly just passing thoughts with cravings becoming far less. I look forward to having a whole day with out thoughts of alcohol, but I guess it is good at the moment, because it is keeping me very aware of being cautious about complacency.

I just did a quick visit to the google to find out more about Neowise. You had a once in a lifetime experience and you got it on camera! Apparently it wont be back for 6,800 years when it leaves our skies at the end of the month. Us southern hemisphere people don't get to see it for real - only pictures from those lucky and skilled enough to get photos in the northern hemisphere. It's 5 km wide and travels without our traditional power - quite amazing.

Thanks for sharing and for no...
Old 07-23-2020, 05:05 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

dig12 what a cool picture! Thank you for sharing. I live in Toronto, no stars here lol. I went on a vacation to Tanzania one year and the stars were incredible.

Lilylady sorry you live in a hotspot...right now things here are somewhat under control so I risked it. Otherwise I would have just let it go- not like I'm out and about with people! Even though things are somewhat under control here a lot is still shut down.

WL- lol you know when I was in university I did shave my hair, I dunno I rebelled in weird ways lol. As soon as university was over I let it grow.

Coz that is cool info about Neowise.

Karen- ah yes Georgia- stay safe. I've been reading about it, it is scary. I'm so tired of it.

Well I'm hanging in, not a great week and I honestly don't know why. Normally I know what my struggles are, this week I don't know what my problem is. Had two nights of terrible nightmares...that is not unusual for me. Usually it is hormonal and only one night. But this doesn't fit the pattern. I don't know. I think it might be perimenopause lol. I'm 43.

Trip to Victoria looks feasible the only thing is I don't know when to book. i would go the week before Labour Day. I'm afraid to book too early bc who knows what might change between now and then.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Maria

Keep hanging in there and remember that alcohol won't fix your problem and may make it worse. Bugger not knowing why your having a off-moment in life. Its hard to fix when you don't know what's wrong. Hopefully it is just a moment in life and you will feel more upbeat soon. In the interim, keep doing anything (other than drinking) to make you happy or at least content.

I get your uncertainty about committing to travel plans at the moment. Can you book something that is refundable if circumstances outside of your control make it not possible to go? I would hope that those in the tourism sector will do anything to get some bookings - not a great sector to be in right now. I am sure a trip away would be fantastic for you - I hope that you can work something out.

Sending you smiles...
Old 07-23-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Coz

TC - I might be a bit preemptive here, but

Hope you had a lovely tech-free and relaxing time away.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:41 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Hi classmates. I feel as if I am losing my mind. I know I posted yesterday but don't see my post. I posted about work and having to prepare food for people this weekend. Maybe I didn't press post or it got lost.
Anyway my covid test came back negative. I pretty much knew that. Feeling better. My daughter is still not over it.
Today is day 61. I thought it was 60 but looked at my calendar and I'm actually one day ahead! Yay me. Have to catch up on all the posts I have missed.
Hope you are all having a lovely day!
​​​​​​​Hope
Old 07-23-2020, 07:01 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 60 days Hopeful

I've noticed recently posts I think I have posted haven't, so it's worth double checking at the time
Old 07-23-2020, 07:27 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Coz- the curry salad sound delicious! Your trellis looks amazing. Is there anything you can’t do?

Karen- I hope your electricity stays on. OMG. That is the worst. One of my worst fears. Was without it a few days a few years back when we had a hurricane. We had a small generator or I would not have survived. I’m with you on the hair thing. I don’t feel safe going to the salon. It’s been SO long since I got a cut and such that I literally just pull it in a ponytail each day. Can’t do much else with it. I keep thinking of letting my husband cut off a few inches but then I come to my senses.

DIg- congrats on day 117! Way to go! That is a beautiful picture.

Lily- congrats on your 92 days sober.

TC- it is always to see you here. The place just isn’t the same without you.

Maria- I’m glad you are hanging in there!

Venus- How is the ankle? Hoping it isn’t keeping you from cooking those omelettes.

Dee- It’s so crazy because I remember typing it for sure. Oh well. Will check from now on.

Fallow- Speaking of birds- I love them. I have a feeder just outside my bedroom and have lots of cardinals and finches. Occasionally I have a couple of woodpeckers that join me in the back with big oaks.

Hope