Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #11

Old 03-29-2021, 12:05 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am glad that you are able to get the vaccines in your state Glee. I know my state has a large proportion of seniors residing in it, so maybe that's why the roll out is taking forever.

Have a good day all!
Old 03-29-2021, 03:03 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Glee, good luck on the weight loss! I had to give up pizza totally. It's kinda like beer, all or nothing with me.

Mom's nursing home will be opening up for in-room visits again starting this week. I'm scheduled to visit her on April 11th.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:46 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Turns out my brother in laws first test wasn't done properly, so he had to go back a few days back. He tested positive for Covid. I haven't had exposure to him in about eight days, so I am hoping I am in the clear. Fortunately, his wife and mine got their first shots, so we are hopeful to minimize spread.

Life without pizza is difficult to envision. Have you tried the cauliflower crust based ones yet FBL? They aren't too bad tastewise.

Have a good day all!
Old 03-30-2021, 09:16 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm so glad you & your mom get to see one another, FBL

sg, I hadn't realized your state was not doing well with the vaccine roll-out. I think we're doing ok, after a bumpy start. My pov is a little skewed because almost everyone I speak to is in the education sector, and so they've all been vaccinated. Did you say even teachers in your state aren't all vaccinated yet?
Old 03-30-2021, 09:33 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  
p***enger

I understand the young people out partying -- they're driven to it, it's a human instinct to celebrate the rites of spring -- beyond human. "Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it."

My attitude is in the toilet the last little while. Because I'm sober and not very depressed, I recognize this feeling of emptiness is a temporary, personal thing, not an attribute of the whole universe. And that it will pass. I go out every day, and get a little work done, buy flowers, don't drink. Post!

Thanks everyone for being here.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:16 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

FBL - Awesome that you’ll be able to see your mom soon. Too bad you won’t be sharing a pizza! (Haha!).

Courage - Sometimes when I’m feeling off, acknowledging I’m going through a rough stretch takes the pressure off. Treating yourself to flowers is a great idea! I don’t think of things like that enough.

sg - I hope your bil feels better soon, if not already. Do they have kids who are mingling with your kids?

I’m grateful to be sober and taking care of myself throughout the ups and downs of this pandemic.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Courage, I love your buy flowers attitude. My house is full of houseplants and several vases of fresh cuts. My store sells flowers for a ridiculous price so there is no reason not to.

I like your use of the word emptiness. I think that is a stage I go through after coming out of depression. It is good to remember that it is temporary.

My BIL is feeling better. He suffered through a week of heavy depression after being hit by Covid. Fortunately, his wife and son are vaccinated. Just prior to coming down with Covid, he reemphasized his opposition to getting the vaccine. I wonder if his attitude has changed. He was lucky to have only a mild case.

Glee, teachers here are just starting to get the one dose vaccine. My state is still stuck in 1A, and I have been spending hours trying to find a fluke appointment cancellation. It frustrates me that twenty somethings who stay at home are getting the vaccine because they are obese, while I encounter thousands of people a week and am old and don't qualify. A neighboring state just opened up vaccinations to all people 16 and older starting Monday. The disparity in vaccine distribution is maddening.

My company has decided to drop monitoring the door and cleaning carts. We are now just leaving cart wipes by the door and are letting all in unless it gets crazy. We have been losing sales because people just drive by when they see a line outside, even if it's just a five minute wait. So far, customers don't seem to mind, and I had several whom told me that they haven't shopped the store in a year because of the lines. I personally wished they would have held off one more month to allow more employees to get vaccinated, but we are a for profit business and I get it. The crew is still getting four dollars an hour Covid pay on top of their regular hourly wage and most of them don't seem to mind. Everyone is suffering Covid fatigue, and just don't seem to care as much at this point.

FBL, glad that you will be able to see your Mom soon. Have you been able to get vaccinated yet?

Take care all!
Old 04-01-2021, 03:18 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

No vaccine for me yet. Wisconsin was kinda late in getting the ball rolling. My elderly boss and his wife (Fran) are due for their second shots a week from tomorrow. Hopefully I can get mine sometime in May. I'm not concerned about it, either way.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:56 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  
p***enger

The star magnolia trees are blooming in my neighborhood.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  
p***enger

Happy anniversary, Dee!
Old 04-06-2021, 05:35 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on 14 years Dee!

I love the star and saucer magnolias that are blooming everywhere this time of year. We often get a late cold wave which turns the blooms to mush, so I am enjoying them. My yard is full of blooming daffodils that I have planted over the years. They are just about the only thing that the deer won't eat to the ground. As a result, I have grown a new found appreciation for their beauty , subtle variety and durability.

I finally found a vaccine appointment for tomorrow. It's about a 75 minute drive each way from my house but I am happy to take it. My county just opened up registration for grocery store workers, but it will be many weeks before they have enough vaccines to finish up 1A high risk older adults and begin 1B.

Best wishes all!

Old 04-06-2021, 03:39 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks friends

D
Old 04-14-2021, 05:07 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Dee - Congrats on 14 years! Also a profound thank you for your service. You’ve made a difference in my life!

SG - I’m glad you’re able to make the drive for the vaccine! Even the first offers you some level of protection. In your daily work that matters!

courage - What a beautiful flower. I have never been much of a gardener but last Fall I planted some
bulbs - crocuses. Yellow, orange and pink. I’m glad I did. The yellow are up and are so cheerful! The others are close.

fbl - I hear you on the all or nothing approach. Lightening up some meals is helpful. Eating fewer treats is good. But for me comfort eating is a thing that I need to stop.

Have a good day all!

Old 04-14-2021, 07:00 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
p***enger

Glee, so glad to see your post. I love crocuses! There may be some that come in sooner, but I think of them as the first flower of spring. Many times in my hometown I used to see their flowers in bloom above a fresh blanket of April snow.

I got no good news except, on I plow, without a drink, with a clear conscience. For not-fully-understood reasons, I've become a lightning rod at my work place. There's a very vocal group of faculty who attack anything I say ad hominen -- just because I say it -- often things I don't say, things that have a remote relationship with me. Even my dean called today to see if I was "okay." I am, of course -- mind-wise and soul-wise. (My body's showing its age, but that's another story.) Upside: the antagonism gave me an excellent excuse to decline a nomination to be department chair. Also, it's definitely showing me whom I can trust, professionally -- and whom I can't.

I hope the rest of you are loving life a little more than I am, lately. I've never felt more my signature than I do this spring.

Hugs to everyone, good people.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:09 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Glee.
I'm glad you're ok Courage despite the antagonism

D
Old 04-14-2021, 08:59 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
p***enger

Your signature makes me feel good, Dee.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:08 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad

D
Old 04-15-2021, 02:29 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Courage, sorry that you're feeling that way. However, I'm so glad you're not drinking! A couple of things that have really helped me the past couple of years with that sort of thing has been the Letting Go book by David Hawkins and the reading and discussion of the Tao with my online friends. Much to my chagrin, I'm learning that I can't control how others see me. Not only that, but their thoughts about me are really none of my concern at all! What a revelation! I'm not the center of the universe??? Who knew! The more I try to just "be", the more content I become. I still have a lot to learn, but I think I'm on the right track now. Anyway, you have a friend in me.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:04 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I love crocus. I have planted dozens in my front yard, and they bloom for weeks before the grass greens up and needs cut. It is a harbinger of spring and rebirth every year.

I had a soul reading the other day with a woman I used to work with, whom I always could sense had powerful abilities to see outside our everyday 3D reality. Without sounding too New Agey, or crazy, she stated that my soul is finally awakening and seeking its true life purpose and my spirit guides are excited that I am slowly awakening and about to begin this journey. Much like you stated FBL, a lot of awakening is letting go. Letting go of toxic thoughts, toxic people, focusing on money, status and material things. Viewing life with more compassion and a sense of joy and oneness, instead of the constant dog eat dog competition that we generally view the world.

Glee, how are you doing? What has been your focus most recently?

Courage, I think there are people around you that are meant to be around you for a reason. I realize even toxic people are in our lives to help us refocus on the good and our ultimate purpose in life. Don't be surprised if strangers pop into your life unexpectedly to assist you on your journey. I have begun mediating upon waking and before going to bed, just five or ten minutes of watching my breathing or repeating a mantra. It has a calming effect that helps to keep me centered. Perhaps you can incorporate that into your daily routine?

FBL, I am happy that you had a good weekend, saw your friends, and your Mom at last. Happy that she is doing well.

Because most of my family is either vaccinated, or like myself, one shot in, we plan on having an outside party for my Dad's 90th birthday in a couple weeks. I have spent every decade birthday with him, though some of those were just sitting in a bar with him all day. Age has polished the sharper edges off of him, and he delights in seeing his grandchildren and now great grandchildren. Definitely looking forward to it.

Great seeing everyone here!

Progress, not perfection!
Old 04-15-2021, 05:25 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Courage - I experienced something similar at work over the past couple of years. The ad hominem attacks came as a shock, as did the colleague’s toxic influence on others. At first the toxicity made me mad. Then after a while I resigned myself to this being the way people felt. Me not being one to settle, I spent the last year methodically and diligently carving a path to overcome it. About a week ago, I finally felt like I had a good strategy for handling any triggers from her behavior.

The next day we got an email that she resigned. (Due to her volatile behavior, the company chose to part ways immediately). After a sigh of relief and a small celebration, that timing really struck me.

Sg - I’ve been working on my image at work (above) and exercise! I work out during my lunch breaks.