Notices

Class of November 2019 Part 4

Old 12-09-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Briansy, if the book's a trigger, dump it and try another one. There's a vast number of addiction recovery books out there.
It's funny how that works, sometimes reading on here perks up my AV. We just need to use our sober arsenal and take control.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Thanks Briansy

Tiles I sometimes get triggered reading stuff on SR too, but on balance I get way more support than I get triggered so it’s definitely worthwhile

I get triggered by random things at any time of day, so I just try to ignore it and it goes away, sometimes quickly and sometimes more slowly. If I can ride it out long enough it goes away. If the urge to drink gets really strong, I get myself a really nice nonalcoholic drink or if it’s really bad I get something sugary and sweet. I try not to do the sweet thing too often but it works in emergencies, especially icecream
Old 12-09-2019, 05:02 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Something else

Initally, I used Diet Snappple that was great!! So far this time I am using water and cranberry juice. I must say that I like the Diet Snapple better...so I am in the middle of deciding. I think that it’s important to have a good substitute 😮👌
Old 12-09-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Have a great day Willow, it's always funny to think you're at the other end of your day Starting with coffee and SR sounds great.

I'm winding down here myself. Been watching Great British Baking Show, I'm surprisingly tired and it's only 9 pm. I'll try to wait a little longer before bed though, so I don't wake up at 3 am. Bf just texted me to check in and ask how my day was, I really appreciate that he has been doing that on times when he's out with his friends at night. He's not much of a texter, and I feel like since I moved in he's really stepped it up, and has been super considerate about making sure I know where he is, when he'll be home etc.

Ending day 37 with a passionfruit La Croix and zero desire to drink. I have decided tangerine is the best La Croix flavor, even though grapefruit is the most ubiquitous... but passionfruit is a nice change of pace.

Everyone have a nice night (or day)! x
Old 12-09-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Well. just found out that my (new) computer (bought in
apr. 2019) has "liquid: damage".so warranty won't cover ANYTHNG. (probably wine!) SOOOO now I need to pay to fix it (which they haven't told me the price yet (except to say it's not worth it) or buy a new one...does it EVER end??????
Old 12-09-2019, 11:58 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Morning all, evening Willow

Woke up just before 5 and spent 2 hours watching TV before crawling out of my cave to go to work. Jesus this time of year is a long drag!

On triggers, I couldn't cope with AA cos of the war stories which often seemed far more like romanticising drinking and less like the cautionary tale I was expecting. I wanted to drink so badly after leaving some meetings. And the sponsor thing I just found weird. It's supposed to be for support but felt very much like a school master / student type relationship. Too much!

Some stuff on SR does trigger me for sure, but I do find it to be, on the whole, really great in focusing on the devastation and also the positives of sobriety / hope. Which is beautiful.

Trying for a mini 4 day diet in advance of my weekend away this weekend but it's making me lose the will to live! I'm not gonna pig out or binge today but starving myself yesterday wasn't a huge amount of fun. Lifestyle changes Brian! Slow and steady!

Anyway, have a great day one and all.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:00 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
Well. just found out that my (new) computer (bought in
apr. 2019) has "liquid: damage".so warranty won't cover ANYTHNG. (probably wine!) SOOOO now I need to pay to fix it (which they haven't told me the price yet (except to say it's not worth it) or buy a new one...does it EVER end??????
Ugh. Utterly pointless financial waste is the worst. Last week I lost a £300 pair of Bose earphones and a pair of Cashmere gloves on consecutive days. I was amazed at how philosophical I was about it. It's just stuff. Still. Annoying!!
Old 12-10-2019, 12:23 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Trudging but at least you can make darn sure not to spill wine on the new one

Have you tried other meeting based things like SMART or lifering Briansy?

D
Old 12-10-2019, 12:31 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry Trudging but at least you can make darn sure not to spill wine on the new one

Have you tried other meeting based things like SMART or lifering Briansy?

D
Hi Dee, I recall them being in awkward locations and at awkward times. I don't have a huge interest in them to be honest. I feel like I know what to do at this stage, it's just a question of remaining committed.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:57 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Early on in recovery some songs were triggers for me, but it was more often certain situations that were triggers. Reading and posting on SR has never been a trigger for me.... I always come away with even greater commitment to sobriety after spending time here.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Just checking in. My son is home just for a bit then he is off to dads for a week. We will get 5 days intervals with him. The new part-time gig is awesome!! I'm getting paid to do what I would do for free in the sobriety world~ All is well... Fortunately I have no urges at the time. Love to all and Brainsy I recommend This Naked Mind for good reading on science based facts on how alcohol gets that strangle hold on our brains... Also, Black out is a great read. xoxoxo
Old 12-10-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

How awesome Joy ~ so happy for you. s xx
Old 12-10-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Well, I guess I will be shopping for a new computer...UGH! Even my own tech said to do so. It would e more expensive to fix the old one. Hubby is pretty pissed at how much my drinking has cost us....no defense to that one!
Old 12-10-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joy57 View Post
Just checking in. My son is home just for a bit then he is off to dads for a week. We will get 5 days intervals with him. The new part-time gig is awesome!! I'm getting paid to do what I would do for free in the sobriety world~ All is well... Fortunately I have no urges at the time. Love to all and Brainsy I recommend This Naked Mind for good reading on science based facts on how alcohol gets that strangle hold on our brains... Also, Black out is a great read. xoxoxo
Awesome. Have read it a few times. I really like it. I've really gone in depth about the science. It's very interesting and reassuring to know that although the brain changes are permanent, the effects of those changes are only relevant when in active alcoholism.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Cabin fever day here in London. Howling wind, rain, lots of scurrying from A to B in discomfort. Groundhog day. Thank God for this weekend, I'm getting cranky. Hope everyone having a good day.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Time for the duvet and Netflix huh?
You got his Briansy. s xx
Old 12-10-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Just ordered another (new) computer...so disgusted with myself
Old 12-10-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Meh.....in the scheme of things......

I keep thinking about you having to get your head glued back together. Man. That made me scared baby....so you alive and well and a broken Dell = an excellent payoff. Sure, I know I don't have to pay for the new PC, but still. s xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 12-10-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Sounds wonderful Joy

As Suze said, at least you’re in one piece again Trudging. Bummer about the computer but I’m glad they could fix your head, that’s such a relief that you came out fixable. Hopefully your new computer won’t be super expensive and maybe it will be better than the previous one.

Briansy I think a day under the doona watching movies is a great plan, Suze’s wise words again

I should just say ditto to what Suze said

SBTS I’ve never heard of La Croix, is it a soft drink? Or juice? The flavours sound lovely. My current favourite drink is cranberry and soda water

I’m getting my car serviced today so am taking a book to read while I wait in the coffee shop
See you all later
Old 12-10-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

More the pieces of the puzzle....
You know, when we find them all and everything magically just fits somehow. s