Notices

Class of November 2019 Part 4

Old 12-08-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Some great posts here! We did go to the movies (Mr. Rogers...cute) and then out to eat...a bit of a slippery slope, but I made it! Hubby and I are really working on our marriage. Things are fine, but after 23 years, fading passion needs a re-start.

I think we may just "hang out" on this rainy day in Cali; maybe watch some movies, and se if there's a Patriot football game on today
Old 12-08-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

#50Strong! Sober Plans are crucial IMO. You have to have a compass and refer to it daily. Here are the components of mine:

Why do I want to stop?
What do I enjoy more?
What is the cost/benefit of drinking?
What is drinking doing to my health?

ETC.......
Old 12-08-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimiC View Post
Briansy, this might not speak to exactly what your wrote but I have night & day differences. This is from a couple of times of 6+ months without a drink, not very long term but I saw many positive changes.

The biggest was fitness and weight loss. Alcohol no longer got in my way, I lost fifty pounds and joined a gym for the first time in my life. I also went to a few different doctors that I put off for years.

Good day or bad, I was always present for my family. I could drive anywhere at any time.

Life became much more manageable, I was more organized at work and home. I woke up for work with my clothes ready and often healthy meals to take with me.

Sober me is more sociable and confident. Looking better and feeling better does this. Alcohol gives some people courage I guess, for me it makes me isolate & causes anxiety. Alcohol wants more alcohol, F that.

Those are a few things off the top of my head. Happy sober Sunday to all!
LOVE THIS!!!!!! ❤️
Old 12-08-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
Some great posts here! We did go to the movies (Mr. Rogers...cute) and then out to eat...a bit of a slippery slope, but I made it! Hubby and I are really working on our marriage. Things are fine, but after 23 years, fading passion needs a re-start.

I think we may just "hang out" on this rainy day in Cali; maybe watch some movies, and se if there's a Patriot football game on today
So well done love.
Kind of a huge difference from a week or so ago hey?
And your husband and you love each other hugely, so I am betting that you can rekindle things. s ❤️
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This is for you dear Joy. s

Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hello lovely SBTS. ❤️
Old 12-08-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

HUGE difference, Venus!! I remember the movie!
Old 12-08-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh gosh that is fabulous isn't it? s xx
Old 12-08-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yup

yup!
Old 12-08-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
HUGE difference, Venus!! I remember the movie!
Very nice!!
Old 12-08-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Spent most of the Sunday cooped up watching TV (show called "Pose" - I recommend it) and finally decided to get my arse up and get some fresh air - went for an hour and a half walk around my local park which is really nice and feel a MILLION times better. Fresh air and exercise is so key to well being! I started listening to an audiobook called "Drinking" by Caroline Knapp - I have listened to a lot of these "memoir" type books and the bits at the beginning where they talk about the "good" days of drinking always massively trigger me and have me fantasising about taking solo road trips around the country for the sole purpose of getting trashed - so I have to come back here and get back to reality! Feels so much better than planning a train wreck of a holiday in my imagination. Think I've read it all when it comes to these books. Have probably read about 10 books on the subject now and the message is largely the same. I know what I have to do! Maybe I'll give them a rest, lest those triggers get too much...
Old 12-08-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Trudging, sounds like you had a nice time and I'm glad you and your husband are working on things

Brian I loved that book. Being a woman around the age she was during most of her struggles, I related to a lot of it. But I could see how it could be triggering for sure.

Hi Suze Glad you are doing better.

Checking in... day 36. I spent today checking out and organizing recipes on the NYT Cooking website, watching Great British Baking Show on Netflix (I haven't finished the latest one yet), and making iced ginger cookies which I then ate FIVE of (eek, oops.) Bf is working but I'm going to make dinner for us in a couple of hours. This Sunday has absolutely flown by, I can't believe it's almost 5:00 already. I haven't been able to really bring myself to do anything productive, unless you count making cookies, but maybe I'll just have to deal with the fact that I'm not in the mood for that today and deal with the less pleasant to-dos during the week. After being with my mom for two days straight, I think I needed a day mostly alone to recharge... I do like spending time with her, but it can be exhausting.

Till later. x
Old 12-08-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Suze I hope you’re feeling better

Briansy, I agree with JimiC regarding fitness and weight loss. As a result, my self esteem also improved enormously Also being more present for my family, and way less argumentative with my partner!

Glad you enjoyed the movie Trudging I’m finding that my relationship with my partner has improved enormously without me drinking alcohol ❤️

I’m really worried about my extended family but there’s nothing much I can do because I’m not supposed to know about the addiction problems one is having. I’ve been asked to keep it that way, but I can see how much of a toll it’s taking on the others with so much worry and anxiety, especially the mother. I just wish I could offer more support. I’m so worried for them all. I’m just trying to offer support where I can and keeping my phone on hand in case anyone needs to talk. Praying things will be ok for them all ❤️
Old 12-08-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It's hard to realise we can't do anything when we know how to help.
But that's the way it is....and yes, being there and ready when they ask....that is a blessing of sobriety. There is someone in your family now that everyone can go to Willow honey.....that's you....kind of amazing huh?

(And I was optimistic....this bug is not a lot of fun unless I look forward to the weight loss....food is off the table...I tried....no more today.)
Old 12-08-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks Suze it’s just so hard watching people I care about in so much distress
I really hope you’re feeling better very soon. Do you need to see a doctor?
Old 12-08-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I know it is..... s
I watched my younger sister disappear completely due to MDMA. Just horrific.
s

And nah.....just a bug. I am run down, need to get outside and exercise....it's easy.....it's only 0ish in the mornings.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Oh Suze that’s so sad We’re really worried about something similar happening, it’s so awful knowing someone you love is in the process of derailing their entire life and you can’t do anything to stop them, just hope and pray they want to change enough that they do the work needed to avert a train wreck disaster that’s looming if they don’t change the course of their actions

I hope you get lots of rest and you’re on the mend soon
Sending you lots of love ❤️

I’m going for a walk now before I have to start work x
Old 12-08-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Not a great weekend. My son (21 years old) is stressed out about a test that he's probably not going to pass because he has been doing everything except studying. He gets stressed and turns on his dad and I as if it's our fault. He started fights with us on Friday and again on Saturday. The Saturday one got so bad that I left the house to get away from it all. I drove around and picked up a coffee. Normally I would hit the liquor store instead, so that was a plus! Today though, I thought of drinking. Everything was fine today. Strange! I decorated the house for Christmas instead.

Hope you all had a good weekend!
Old 12-08-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Suze, sorry that you're still under the weather Stomach bugs are the absolute worst, I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Ending day 36, I really need to get to bed soon. Bf loved the iced ginger cookies, which were a big project, and then I made us spaghetti carbonara for dinner. The physical work of standing on my feet cooking always has me tired at the end of the day, but like tired in the way you're supposed to be after you accomplish something, not tired in the old listless half drunk way. I'm really excited about being able to cook and bake for us more now that we live together.

Tomorrow starts another week... I'm feeling ok about it, not stressed or anything, just not really even thinking about work until Monday morning hits, which I think is also how it's supposed to be

Have a nice night all
Old 12-08-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagnumCat View Post
Not a great weekend. My son (21 years old) is stressed out about a test that he's probably not going to pass because he has been doing everything except studying. He gets stressed and turns on his dad and I as if it's our fault. He started fights with us on Friday and again on Saturday. The Saturday one got so bad that I left the house to get away from it all. I drove around and picked up a coffee. Normally I would hit the liquor store instead, so that was a plus! Today though, I thought of drinking. Everything was fine today. Strange! I decorated the house for Christmas instead.

Hope you all had a good weekend!
I'm sorry your son is taking out his stress on you. It sounds like you're handling it really well though