Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 63

Old 11-22-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Hello Unders - I've been absent for a bit - just a little busy with work, travel, etc.

Wiscsober - congrats on the sobriety time. I'm a big fan of Wisconsin. I have friends in places like Appleton, Neenah, Port Washington and Fond du Lac!!!

I'll try and catch up a bit this weekend. Take care
Old 11-22-2019, 11:29 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you MITA
Old 11-23-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ManInTheArena View Post
Hello Unders - I've been absent for a bit - just a little busy with work, travel, etc.

Wiscsober - congrats on the sobriety time. I'm a big fan of Wisconsin. I have friends in places like Appleton, Neenah, Port Washington and Fond du Lac!!!

I'll try and catch up a bit this weekend. Take care
Hi...yes born and raised in Appleton. Moved to Oshkosh from Neenah. Started my 12 step recovery in the Fox Valley. Moved back in the late 80s after a couple tours with the Navy.

Feeling sick. So I'll keep it brief. Need to get some housework and cooking done before I feel more ill. Thankfully going in to this sober. Will get a non-alcohol OTC.

I guess I'll need to take it easy on Jim Croce's "live concert" storytelling...too too much about amphetamines and liquor. His studio albums are fine. Left this world too soon.

9 weeks + 2 days of sobriety.

Have a great day.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Good to see you MITA
Thanks Mags - it feels good to spend some time here.

I updated my March 2016 friends, but I'll share quickly here too. I finally gave my official notice at work, but its not a big surprise. I have a long runway though, about 6 months. I have a number of clients where it's just better all around to transition over a longer period. I think my work appreciates that, and I'm just trying to do the right thing. It's creating some initial stress, but as time passes my responsibilities will become less and less. I'm looking forward to moving on, but I haven't developed a definite plan. I've been working remotely (as opposed to remotely working!!) for a few years now. It is challenging from a social perspective, and while I'm a bit of a loner I do like some of that interaction that a normal work environment provides.

I'm focused on developing a plan for my sobriety as my work changes, and possibly morphs into something like full retirement - which is honestly a scary thought.

If anyone has gone through this and wants to give some advice, I'll gladly take it

Enjoy your day Unders!!
Old 11-23-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Wow MITA, sounds a bit scary but obviously something youve given a lot of thought to, I look forward to hearing what you decide to do
Old 11-23-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

It's scary and exciting and mostly inevitable! No one ever plans to be heading into retirement with a drinking problem - yet here I am

Some structure - some meaning - all that. It can take a variety of forms - lots of possibilities. I'm happy to be where I'm at - but concerned about the obvious.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best advice I can give MITA is stay productive...find purpose and meaning, whatever that is for you.

I've done the retirement thing with resentment and self pity (and much alcohol).... and then I've done it the right way

D
Old 11-23-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Yeah - I hear you Dee. I think the goal is always the same - just maybe a few new wrinkles as life does its thing.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:30 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Unders

MITA, I had retirement (made redundant) sort of forced on me because of health probs, but to be honest, once I’d got over the shock of leaving work earlier than planned, I love it. I worried about all the usual stuff to begin with, money, how to fill my time, what to do, but somehow and being sober, I’m able to live comfortably without any stresses of work anymore.

It is freeing having time for you and it really does fly by, I’m never bored.

I do know that being sober helped me make the right choices.

I hope you enjoy your possibilities.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:01 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

aargh...just typed a long message forgetting to log in...when posted I lost it to cyberspace.

MITA - neat hearing about this period in your life. My best to you in all the choices you make.

The bug hit. Feel sick but good to go. Made a gallon of pureed fruit with diet drink mix to keep hydrated and electrolytes balanced. Need to keep an eye ond my blood sugar being diabetic.

Good day to eat a lot in the morning and get chores done before noon football. Big game tonight Packers 49ers. Like yesterday I will be watching sober.

I'm glad to be part of this 1 and under thread.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

See, wiscsober, I was watching football at lunchtime too, the proper game with a round ball! I've been battling a nasty cough and cold, that I've thoughtlessly passed to my poor mum ( like she hasn't already got her troubles) .
Old 11-24-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Hi unders
I hope you’re feeling better soon wisc. You too Toots, and your Mum!
MITA it sounds like you’re taking a really sensible approach, transitioning slowly. I too gave 6 months notice when I finished work, and it allowed me time to tie up any loose ends. Now I’m just working casual flexible hours. Some days I really worry about money, especially when I haven’t picked up much work in the last few days or weeks (like at the moment). Other days I wish I had less work. It’s a bit sporadic. To be honest, I wish I could fully retire but I can’t afford to yet, and I still have at least 10 years to go before I can access my superannuation fund, so I have to keep working. I do have a better work life balance these days, although it’s tricky getting the balance right to have as much free time as I can but still work enough to pay the bills.
I shudder to think of how much money I wasted on alcohol over the years. At least now I’m not wasting that money

I’m off for a walk, I’m trying to add regular daily exercise back into my life to keep me on track this time. See you all later
Old 11-25-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

checking in

Football, Fútbol, soccer

Mornings are best....virus using my body like a roadmap...moved from my chest to throat. So glad I'm sober and dealing with this, nor using narcotic cough syrup.

Happy Day....let's all score a gggggggggggooooooaaaaaallllllllllllllllll
Old 11-25-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better soon, Wiscsober!

Happy Monday Unders. I enjoyed my football yesterday, and really all weekend there was great sports action - especially in college sports.

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving - we'll have a nice collection of folks over - not too big, but enough to make it feel like a real Thanksgiving. I can almost smell that turkey already
Old 11-25-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Magsie

Get well soon Wisc.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:31 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Feel better soon Wisc.

MITA, you have much to be thankful for this year!

Have a good day one and all
Old 11-26-2019, 02:21 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

9 weeks + a 5th day.
Feeling better. I think with drinking the fruit/veggie puree, no-alcohol OTC day/night, and eating well, plus living sober the bug is on it's last legs.

Keep on posting!
Old 11-26-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Glad you’re feeling better Wisc
I went for a walk this morning, then got a massage, which was great.
I’m not working today, having a rather lazy day actually.
It’s hot today, I might go for a swim, or perhaps just have a nap.
Some days it’s good to not do too much
Old 11-27-2019, 12:45 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Unders

Willow, sounds like a good day to charge your batteries, have fun
Old 11-27-2019, 02:00 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

ah to be swimming
checking in
dreary rainy day
still feel a bit off with a slight cough
doing well with the money I have
to bed very early up since 0230
already on my last cup of joe
listened to NA Basic Text audiobook yesterday
A good reader and a lot of the material I forgot
Though they might not want to know but the narrators have perfect voices to put one in to a napping state.
Not sure what to do today, but several things recovery related, and others housekeeping.
Will check in later