Notices

Class of August Part 1 2019

Old 08-12-2019, 11:53 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Welcome Horsewhisperer and congrats on 1 week

Day 3. SLept badly but I know that's normal at this stage. Looking forward to really decent sleep after a few days.

Feel very groggy but going to walk a lot today and have work so keeping busy. Plenty of water and yoghurt.

That's all from me. Have a good day
Old 08-13-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Day three and, whew, things are calming down a little. Thanks for the welcomes, and welcome to our new classmembers!

I actually slept some last night. Pretty weird sleep, though, with a couple nightmares, and a nasty bout of restless leg syndrome and an anxiety attack. Hey, none of us have to go through this again.

I'll check in later, but in the meantime I wish all of us good, sober day.

Oh, and the new Woodstock documentary is def worth a look. I've watched it twice, so I guess rampant insomnia has a little upside, lol.

Make it a good day everyone.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Day 8. Reasonable sleep. Crazy tinnitus this morning (but I have that anyway). It's nice waking up without booze in my system. I also like the way that time seems to slow down. It means I feel like I have time to get things done. I forgot how time-consuming booze is!

My energy hasn't quite come back. I'm happy to proceed in slow-motion. I remember George Bush saying that he quit drinking because it competed for his energy. I've never forgotten that.

Good Luck everybody on whatever day it is.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Wow, I've never heard that before.....that George Bush line: I won't forget it either. And I have bad tinnitus as well.....it actually was not too bad for a while, but moving here and living in constant heating/air con messed me up. Oh well.

And hello dear Pelagic
Oh boy did I have restless leg when I got sober...really badly. And terrible cramps in my feet....magnesium helped big time. Not medical advice at all, but it's a good idea to talk to your pharmacist about vitamins.

Lots of water and yogurt sounds perfect RAL. s

Wishing everyone a good day. s
Old 08-13-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I’m in. Hello comrades. Day 20 for me which is a July sobriety date but I really started coming around here in August. Will you adopt me? Woot! Feels great.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 View Post
Day three and, whew, things are calming down a little. Thanks for the welcomes, and welcome to our new classmembers!

I actually slept some last night. Pretty weird sleep, though, with a couple nightmares, and a nasty bout of restless leg syndrome and an anxiety attack. Hey, none of us have to go through this again.

I'll check in later, but in the meantime I wish all of us good, sober day.

Oh, and the new Woodstock documentary is def worth a look. I've watched it twice, so I guess rampant insomnia has a little upside, lol.

Make it a good day everyone.
I totally forgot about restless leg syndrome. I’ve been having that big time. My legs really get moving. Seems like it’s slowing down though here at day 20.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:26 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Consider yourself adopted.
And Day 20 is awesome! s
Old 08-13-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Hi all! It's so good to be home, and tomorrow is a work from home day, which makes it so much easier. I had a pretty good day today. I'm still trying to settle this problem between me and a coworker. I'm tying to keep in mind a line from the big book, I can't recall exactly how it goes, but something to the effect of 'if someone offends you, remember that they are sick, too.'
I didn't have much of a craving coming home, more of a feeling of oddness, sort of a sad feeling. It's a lot like after my divorce. I knew we were well and done with each other, but I still felt an empty feeling for a while. It faded fast, and I think this will, too.
George Bush was exactly right, it does compete for our energy! And for everything else in our lives. Definitely not worth it.
Welcome BeABetterMan. Can we call you Be? That's quite a name for typing. I like it thought. It's one of my favorite movie lines, too. Congratulations on 20 days!
Old 08-13-2019, 05:37 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Just checking in, exhausted but I’m in control of my life and things are getting better everyday. Glad to be sober.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Here for day 6...feeling sad today..but still sober...
Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Closing out day 3 with improvements. I went out to dinner and my appetite was OK. First full meal in longer than I care to mention.

A walk afterwards and still a little unsteady/disoriented. I've been here before, but this is lasting longer. The only answer is never again. Period.

Venuscat I checked my multivitamin and it only has 13% of the RDA for magnesium. A little extra wouldn't hurt so I made a list of foods that have it.

Probably lousy sleep again tonight, but oh well.

Welcome BeABetterMan. Congrats on 20!

Peace, love, and sobriety everyone!
Old 08-13-2019, 11:42 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Morning all

Great to read all your posts.

Great to read you ate Pelagic.

Sorry to hear about your work problem sober369. I have a similar problem with a relative who has a problem with me though I keep telling myself whatever their problem is is THEIR problem, not mine. It's easier said than done of course. I read on here to forgive her for her attitude rather than getting full of anger, resentment and upset. Not sure I can go that far yet but not drinking and putting it out of my mind is a good start. Easier for me as I don't have to engage with her, not so easy in a work environment.

Day 4. Slept a little better. Ate healthily yesterday. I know it's important to just eat anything in early days but eating badly makes me feel so ill. Plus with this tooth problem I can only eat soft food slowly. Did some light exercise too which I aim to do each day.

Have a good day all.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Day 9. Just got up and I'm sat here drinking a coffee. I got up too early as I couldn't get to sleep again. I lay there trying to meditate but couldn't fall off again and so I just gave up and got up.

Part of the reason is that I potentially might have a work-related problem and it was playing on my mind.

Last night I was a little more agitated than usual. I couldn't really concentrate on what was on the telly nor what I was reading on the internet. I didn't fancy a drink but didn't fancy much else either. Making supper and eating it helped. I just wanted to make it to bedtime.

While I was in bed trying to 'meditate' I became aware of my breath and being alive. Just the act of breathing reminded me of the fact I was alive. I then thought I won't be alive forever and that self-medicating and self-sedation is almost 'anti-life'. It felt like an act of not wanting life and having no gratitude for life. I found this helpful because just the simple knowledge that I have a life and can breath is quite amazing in itself. So I am going to practice gratitude if I can.

Let's see what today will bring. Good luck Class of August 2019 on this new and unique day.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:55 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

im in as usual guess must have a habit every month i have to join and try.

on start of day 3 for me for oh so many, it doesn't matter in my today's mood

good to see people are here and trying x

will try to keep on coming here but will see how things goes as my name states i am erratic, god i need to get out of this self pity mood i have today.

have a good day x
Old 08-14-2019, 02:23 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome erratic

D
Old 08-14-2019, 03:25 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Morning all

Great to read all your posts.

Great to read you ate Pelagic.

Sorry to hear about your work problem sober369. I have a similar problem with a relative who has a problem with me though I keep telling myself whatever their problem is is THEIR problem, not mine. It's easier said than done of course. I read on here to forgive her for her attitude rather than getting full of anger, resentment and upset. Not sure I can go that far yet but not drinking and putting it out of my mind is a good start. Easier for me as I don't have to engage with her, not so easy in a work environment.

Day 4. Slept a little better. Ate healthily yesterday. I know it's important to just eat anything in early days but eating badly makes me feel so ill. Plus with this tooth problem I can only eat soft food slowly. Did some light exercise too which I aim to do each day.

Have a good day all.
For you and Karen, I have some things I say to myself when I am having a conflict with someone that I just can't resolve....

The first is: Their Stuff Not Mine. I say it over and over....everyone has 'stuff' and people tend to take things out on each other, often inadvertently, but it seems to me that no matter how old we get, we still have to deal with all sorts of childish behaviour. Doesn't it feel like work is just like school sometimes? Gossip in the kitchen.....that sort of thing.

And so all I can do is my best, and say the serenity prayer, every single morning. And mean it. And it truly helps me with all of the things I don't understand and cannot change. s

Old 08-14-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
im in as usual guess must have a habit every month i have to join and try.

on start of day 3 for me for oh so many, it doesn't matter in my today's mood

good to see people are here and trying x

will try to keep on coming here but will see how things goes as my name states i am erratic, god i need to get out of this self pity mood i have today.

have a good day x
Well, we could do a gratitude list......I will start.

I am grateful to see you Erratic.
I am grateful that you are not giving up, grateful for your courage to keep trying....

I am grateful for every sober day, also grateful to breathe dear HW.....I still remember some very frightening drunken nights when I was afraid I would stop breathing in my sleep....not really sleep, passing out in fact.

I am grateful that Dee's ribs are healing, and grateful that my elbow is finally beginning to mend.

I am grateful for my beautiful husband....and our life together.

I am grateful for upcoming work and study and all manner of finally getting my act together in America. I am sooooooooooo slow.

There is more: there is always more.

Have a wonderful day everyone, and have a nice evening Dee. s
Old 08-14-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus - I know you are right.

hello Erratic
Old 08-14-2019, 04:01 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Going to give this another try day 1 again
Something I know and learned over and over I’m not happy drinking and I defo can’t moderate no matter how hard I try and I’m tired of trying over and over no reason to hold onto false hopes I know I’m better off sober which is probably why I always find myself back here
Old 08-14-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I think that's really important self-awareness Nichole. s
And you deserve to be happy.....so onward together. xx