Notices

Class of June 2019 part 2

Old 07-04-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus and Rose!
I am in California and this event is one hour from 3-4 pm every Thursday at the office.
I mostly work from home but this Thursday my team is sponsoring the event so I need to show up.
It’s not just booze, it’s food and socializing and many people are on the record non drinkers.
I can leave right after but sometimes being around work people makes me anxious.
There will be moderate pressure to drink but even when I was actively drinking I usually avoided it here.
It’s the drive home when I freak out.
Lots of places to stop on the way home to buy alcohol.
At least I am thinking ahead to make a new plan.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Zombie I feel the same. We are at the same date and both been getting up super early and doing exercise. It will pass. Keep it at
Old 07-04-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Hello, June class.

I'm glad to see so many members of our class still
actively posting. It's nice having updates, encouragement, and accountability.

Wishing all of you a nice, sober day.

and
Happy Birthday, A!!!
Old 07-04-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

1 month for me today, this is the time when my brain starts to trick me into thinking that it will be OK to have a drink, I need to stay very alert to this or disaster will strike.. Tonight will be OK as its a night with the step kids but tomorrow my mum is coming for tea and we normally drink wine together and she has a good cellar. I am making Spanish food for us so will be very hard if she brings Spanish wine..
I will need to be prepared..
Old 07-04-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Administrator

Abstinence is not the same as control red.

Life is good cos you stopped drinking, not because you suddenly learned control.

If you reintroduce alcohol you'll be back to square one.

Fight that AV.

D
Old 07-04-2019, 10:50 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Congrats red. Do not let that AV win. You’ve done so well
Old 07-05-2019, 12:27 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Morning all, not posted in a couple of days but still been reading.
Had a rough few days mentally. I take a low dose AD which I increased a few months ago after a bereavement. Felt so much better a few weeks ago so I went back down to previous low dose which I now see was probably a mistake. Been back on higher dose now a few days and woke this morning feeling slightly lighter of mood. Thankfully

glad to read everyone doing well. I will have a proper read and check in later.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:56 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Petecrab View Post
Congrats red. Do not let that AV win. You’ve done so well
Thanks Pete crab.. I have moments of feeling very strong about being ok and then moments when that AV creeps in.. My partner was good and told me not to focus on it and give it thought, which was surprising to me, to me it shows his support.

My longest counted stint of sobriety is 42 days, I've done longer but didn't count the days back then, I think it was about 6 months and was torturous as I was managing and living in a backpackers hostel in the middle of the city of Edinburgh Scotland, it was hell as there is a party going on everyday.
Anyway my point is that I want to get past that 42 day mark so I WILL NOT drink tomorrow night..
Old 07-05-2019, 12:59 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melski View Post
Thanks Venus and Rose!
I am in California and this event is one hour from 3-4 pm every Thursday at the office.
I mostly work from home but this Thursday my team is sponsoring the event so I need to show up.
It’s not just booze, it’s food and socializing and many people are on the record non drinkers.
I can leave right after but sometimes being around work people makes me anxious.
There will be moderate pressure to drink but even when I was actively drinking I usually avoided it here.
It’s the drive home when I freak out.
Lots of places to stop on the way home to buy alcohol.
At least I am thinking ahead to make a new plan.
I hope you survived this work event and drive home, work events are hard for me also, thankfully we don't have too many.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Rose honey, I would tell my mum I can't drink or am not drinking right now, and ask her not to bring the wine. Have cranberry juice and mineral water and lovely soft drinks in a bucket with ice.....how fantastic with Spanish food! s

And melski.....something similar.....have something to drink at home that is non alcoholic and appealing.....and gear your self-talk on the way home to that....home to a lovely cool cranberry and mineral water, out for a walk and home to a movie or something? I would plan it out....give myself new/different options for after the work thing.

And ((((RAL)))) ♥♥

And xx
Old 07-05-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Day 14 - aka 2 weeks! When I was on Day 1 I thought it would take forever to get here and yet in the end it didn't. Great weather still in the U.K. and likely to remain so over the weekend so that's to look forward to. Hope everyone has a good one.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  
DJ1

Just checking in after sober 4th July day 36 !! So glad to see so many of our class still in the fight!
when I first started this I wonder how I would tell people & be judged but truthfully this time around I’m very open with everything yesterday a drinking buddy said let’s get beers together soon I looked straight at her with a smile I don’t drink anymore with real confidence to my surprise she said no worries we can go I’ll drink beer you can watch me as we catch up lol it’s not east but being open & admitting to myself & everyone I have a problem is making it so much easier!! How is everyone else doing it’s not sunshine & roses but darn it feels good to wake up every morning knowing what I did the day before 😀

Keep on going class we are sober June class
Old 07-05-2019, 04:46 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Rose and dj and everyone hitting a milestone today, no matter what it is

D
Old 07-05-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Rose honey, I would tell my mum I can't drink or am not drinking right now, and ask her not to bring the wine. Have cranberry juice and mineral water and lovely soft drinks in a bucket with ice.....how fantastic with Spanish food!

And xx
She knows I'm not drinking and I've talked this alcoholic thing out with her a lot over the last 15 years but I don't want to control what others can or can not do due to my issues, I don't think that's fair on them especially as my mum really enjoys a glass of wine, she's a normal drinker though..
I will be getting some nice soft drinks for myself, maybe tonic water with all the fancy trimmings, orange peel and cardomon or something like that..
I lived in Spain for awhile and was mainly sober there, not sure how but I was.. Mum loves it when I cook Spanish food and play Spanish music, I wonder if there is a wine free sangria?

​​​​​​
Old 07-05-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Petecrab View Post
Zombie I feel the same. We are at the same date and both been getting up super early and doing exercise. It will pass. Keep it at

Thanks Pete! I will keep at it, the early starts although tire me by the end of the week are still good to do mentally and physically:-)
Old 07-05-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

There is alcohol-free sangria I think....going to have a look for you.

I found one....think I can post this....

"Sparkling Non-Alcoholic Sangria Caffeine Free".
Old 07-05-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Morning June starters. Hope everyone had a safe, relaxing holiday. Thanks for all the great suggestions to manage through my work event next week.
One day and then it's the weekend so Happy Friday to you all.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
There is alcohol-free sangria I think....going to have a look for you.

I found one....think I can post this....

"Sparkling Non-Alcoholic Sangria Caffeine Free".
Thanks Venus.. I found a lovely recipe that sounds very devine so I may make that.. Made with pomegranate juice..
Old 07-05-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Coming to the end of day 25.
Tired but good, got a lot of good stuff planned for the weekend. Sometimes the AV does suggest getting wine but I'm getting better at just ignoring it. The walks really help I think!
Old 07-05-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

IS the AV going to do the housework for you when you are too hungover??? Nuh uh....it's selfish like that. It can take a flying leap, really, what a monster...!!