Notices

One Year & Over Part 68

Old 06-08-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

That’s good, Andy!

Just a quick fly-by this am and I’m off to the beach on a glorious day :-)
Old 06-08-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sassy, enjoy yourself on the beach.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

It's been very warm here lately, but the nearest beach is too far to get to, alas. Heading out for a day of support for my mom out in the forest and at higher altitude, so it will be cooler there. Unfortunately they are doing prescribed (precautionary) burning of forest materials to prevent large fires, so it will be smoky.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Perhaps you can try my nephew's pizza place in your town, as we talked a year or two back, and let me know what you think?
Yes. I need to check my emails from you for the name again: I think I was afraid to venture too far in the beginning, America was all so strange for me and I felt vulnerable. But not now....so pizza time.

Have a lovely day dear Sass and everyone. s
Old 06-08-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Andy,
Glad you are getting some rest.

Sassy,
I too hope your beach day was good!

Mags,
What they are talking about is survival gear if it turns cold and yopu get wet. Cotton won 't keep you warm wet. Synthetics like UnderArmour is made from and other quick dry fabrics will dry out fast and keep you warm. However, scratchy old wool will keep you warm even when it is wet. The idea is not about comfort, for that I prefer cotton. The idea is to dress as if the weather was going to turn on you and avoid exposure before an adventure becomes a crisis. Just in case.

Guener,
I made the error of taking my RV down I-20 to El Paso from Shreveport LA area, then across I-10 to Yuma on the way to the San Diego area our first year out full time RVing. It was late July and 115 degrees. Our single A/C unit on our 36 foot HitchHiker 5th wheel could not catch up until after dark! We didn't make that mistake again.

Suze sent you a PM. That is my nephew. His dad was my only full brother and is the one who died of a sudden heart attack one month after I quit drinking in September 2010.

A friend dropped by whose family has money and he decided he wants to buy my house here. If his family approves I can get out of Dodge earlier than expected with a fast closing. Serendipity strikes again if it happens. I never count my chickens . . . because they keep moving around.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:42 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

A bright morning here.

Itchy, that’s great news on the sale of the house, hoping the family will love it!

Guener, keep safe on the mountains.

Might be going to the car show at Normanby Park today.

Have a good Sunday my friends.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:22 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Itchy, hope you get that chicken in the fryer

Sassy did you make any sand castles? I remember when I was a kid. We were on a beach and a gang of hell's angels arrived with garden spades and shovels and made an enormous sand castle, I guess everyone has an inner child.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:14 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Have a fab Sunday Overs! Sundays are always meeting days for me, as well as car washing, food shopping and visiting partner's mum days - all go for sure!
Old 06-09-2019, 03:13 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

No sand castles this time - an enjoyable day with friends while watching the 50 deg. F ocean. No swimmers but plenty of tourists :-)

Itchy, fingers crossed that the sale works out!

Have a lovely day (or night) to all
Old 06-09-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Busy weekend for me. Attended "Crusher Fest" yesterday in South Milwaukee where they unveiled a bronze statue of the late, great professional wrestler. Today is off to another card show to hunt for some more treasures.

I even recorded a little video this morning about having fun in sobriety:

Old 06-09-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Thank you, FBL, for the well narrated video, the message therein about having a good time, soberly, and for sharing your experience of what it means to enjoy progressive recovery. As somebody who is still in early recovery, it rings true to the heart and in the mind that I need to know that the gifts will keep on coming. It makes the work a little easier for me.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Loved it FBL....thank you so much. s
Old 06-09-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks all!

Andy,
I'll sure try to get it into the pan!

FG,
It's mow edge trim day for me.

Sassy, thanks.

Paul,
Your generosity is humbling in the way you share your video ESH! Thank you!

Guener,
Funny the sand castle comments, and your hope that the gifts keep on coming. They do, see drinking was my life, my legacy, my castle made of sand. My favorite artist in my teens was Jimi Hendrix. My favorite song,among several of his, was "Castles Made Of Sand."

He starts with drunken disgrace, and ends on the beach where a girl without hope, sees a golden winged ship passing her way, and hope fills her again.

To the self disgraced like we USED to be, we seemed golden winged ships passing your way. And now you too sail with us, and we really don't need to stop, we just keep on going.

Castles Made Of Sand - Jimi Henrix
[Verse 1]
Down the street you can hear her scream "You're a disgrace"
As she slams the door in his drunken face
And now he stands outside
And all the neighbors start to gossip and drool
He cries "Oh, girl, you must be mad
What happened to the sweet love you and me had?"
Against the door he leans and starts a scene
And his tears fall and burn the garden green

[Chorus]
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea eventually

[Verse 2]
A little Indian brave who before he was ten
Played war games in the woods with his Indian friends
And he built a dream that when he grew up
He would be a fearless warrior Indian Chief
Many moons passed, and more the dream grew strong until
Tomorrow he would sing his first war song and fight his first battle
But something went wrong, surprise attack killed him in his sleep that night

[Chorus]
And so castles made of sand melts into the sea eventually

[Verse 3]
There was a young girl whose heart was a frown
Because she was crippled for life
And she couldn't speak a sound
And she wished and prayed she could stop living
So she decided to die
She drew her wheelchair to the edge of the shore
And to her legs she smiled you won't hurt me no more
But then a sight she'd never seen made her jump and say
Look a golden winged ship is passing my way
And it really didn't have to stop, it just kept on going

[Chorus]
And so castles made of sand slips into the sea, eventually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=bn6ZvGDovjw
Old 06-09-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

I am so silly Itchy ~ the pizza place is so close to me....and I am betting that your wonderful nephew will find a way to make one without garlic for me. A bit worried I will get addicted to the root beer floats..... We have 'spiders' in Australia, icecream in whatever flavour lemonade takes your fancy, and oh my gosh I LOVE THEM.

We have had one big money issue after another this week....expensive things keep breaking....I am waiting for the third one actually, always seems to come in 3s....so next week we will go there for dinner. I may end up there quite a bit...it looks so nice.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Hi overs
Thanks for all your interesting and helpful posts. I really enjoy reading them from you all. Thanks for the podcast FBL, I enjoyed listening to it and also the video post.

Accepting that what’s happening is what’s meant to be happening, and letting it unfold without trying to control the outcome is key for me. Not easy but I’m working on it, and thank you for the timely reminder. I had an anxious day yesterday, and in hindsight, I realise that the main source of my anxiety was trying to control outcomes, rather than letting things unfold the way they’re meant to. And the other message that I took from your video was the progressive nature of our recovery, which equates with the progressive nature of our learning. Learning to let go of control. Learning to be grateful in the moment. Learning to accept the way things are.

Suze I hope the third thing is something small... like the toaster perhaps

Happy Monday everyone
Old 06-09-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

No......it can't be.....I have a beautiful De Longhi red retro toaster.....it is my baby....

I already know what it is....it is my car. The dead battery is going to be more than a dead battery. Hmm. We shall see.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

I certainly hope that your string of expensive breakages stops at #2, Venus. And god forbid it would be that fantastic sounding toaster! Myself, I'm looking at my old vehicle with a suspicious eye about its oil consumption, err, leakage ...
Old 06-09-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Ok, something cheap related to your car battery then Suze I thought perhaps you had a cheap $10 toaster from the discount store like I do
Old 06-09-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Nahh......I got fancy.....

I never had a single thing EVER when I was drinking.....nothing I bought myself, nothing I chose. So I had a little splurge.....who are we kidding....I bought everything on the planet that we needed.....and it is lovely.

The best part is that the need to have things is gone....I am beyond grateful I was able to fill my life with the things I had always wanted: now I just want to enjoy it all. xx
Old 06-09-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

That’s beautiful ❤️ you’re such an amazing person Suze, you deserve to enjoy
I don’t actually use the toaster myself, so I’m happy with a cheapie. The coffee machine on the other hand, it’s a real beauty ...
I’m feeling very grateful today for the butterflies in my garden, reminding me that Mum is still with me ❤️