Notices

One Year & Over Part 68

Old 06-22-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Afternoon Overs!

Mags,
That course sounds great! Tell us if they have any online resources.

Willow,
It weighed about like a small dog or a fat XXL cat. There were very large turkey vultures eating him, so large I paused for a second as the biggest faced me and raised his wings up, not out, like they did when they took off. I then flapped my arms as I did not want a tug of war or bite from them, and then the last one left too. Brazen!
Our bats in the US are the main source of Rabies: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...ts-rabies.html

Guener,
I just bought a house in Colorado Springs and only about one in three had A/C. But I found one we wanted with A/C. MY realtor lives in Denver and advised me that while A/C wasn't much needed, the summers have gotten warmer and while not a health risk like the heat with humidity here in Louisiana, I still want my cool sleeping environment and dang the expense. Can't you get a used on at a pawn shop? Here they are ~ $50-$75 in pawn for one small one that can cool one bedroom. Stay cool and sober, and yes, I was still getting better during year two.

Congrats Paul!
Ten years is nothing to take for granted! As usual I am a year and three months behind you. Don't ever let me take the lead, and I won't increase your lead on me! Buddy, you've been a great supporter for me as well as a model for us to keep giving back, by passing it forward. Great news on the lens too.

Sassy,
The 'Dillos are expanding their range annually but I hop[e it is not to the higher altitudes. However Colorado along with a few other western states does have cases of plague pop up every year. Just click on this page for reports already in 2019! Colorado Springs is mid to Southern Colorado.
Excerpt:
"Plague was first introduced into the United States in 1900, by rat–infested steamships that had sailed from affected areas, mostly from Asia. Epidemics occurred in port cities. The last urban plague epidemic in the United States occurred in Los Angeles from 1924 through 1925. Plague then spread from urban rats to rural rodent species, and became entrenched in many areas of the western United States. Since that time, plague has occurred as scattered cases in rural areas. Most human cases in the United States occur in two regions:

Northern New Mexico, northern Arizona, and southern Colorado
California, southern Oregon, and far western Nevada

Over 80% of United States plague cases have been the bubonic form. In recent decades, an average of seven human plague cases have been reported each year (range: 1–17 cases per year). Plague has occurred in people of all ages (infants up to age 96), though 50% of cases occur in people ages 12–45. It occurs in both men and women, though historically is slightly more common among men, probably because of increased outdoor activities that put them at higher risk."

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html
There's no such thing as total safety or security anywhere!

PJ,
That is great to hear! Your local folks are also lucky to be able to connect with you!

I am going over to my friend's place tonight for some spicy Wild Boar sausage (he shot in his backyard woods) and chicken Jambalaya! That Jambalaya he makes is soooo good it makes mah tongue roll up inside my haid like a window shade an beat my brains ta death! MY first appointment is Monday afternoon for a possible house buyer. Wish me luck!
Old 06-22-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 502 (permalink)  

'grats FBL
Old 06-22-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 503 (permalink)  

FBL 10 years! Wow, what a fantastic achievement, well done!

Thanks Itchy, that was an interesting read. I hadn’t realised bats were the main source of rabies, even though they are here (well Australian bat lyssavirus is a variant or in the same family or something, even though it’s not called rabies. The rabies vaccine is used here to protect against infection in people who handle bats). I had thought wild canids were still the main source in America.

Guener I couldn’t sleep here in the summer without air conditioning. I used to live in a house with just ceiling fans (standard in most houses here) and I sweated all night every night through summer, uggh.

Itchy good luck with the house buyer! Hopefully you get it sold without any fuss.

PJ I hope the homegroup meeting went well. I’m enjoying your pics of the countryside.

I’m off to a yoga class then a walk on the beach. I should probably do some housework but it’s such a beautiful day, far too nice to be inside
Old 06-22-2019, 09:54 PM
  # 504 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Itchy, I’ll let you know how it goes and if they have on line info. . They were really big vultures, thought you were nicking their food! Lol.
Good luck with the viewings.

Sassy I hope sassy kitty is well and back to her normal self. ’s

We’ve had so much rain here in U.K. now we just need a few days uninterrupted sunshine to help all the flowers bloom and my tumbler tomatoes which are outside battling the elements!

We didn’t end up going to in-laws yesterday so we’re going today. The pollen is very high and I get a raspy throat and skin rash as soon as I go outside. So sadly trying to avoid the great outdoors.

Have a good day my friends xx
Old 06-22-2019, 11:32 PM
  # 505 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Off back down to England today ( arrived last night from Spain) mum broke her foot and as she's dads primary career I need to go help out til she is back on it. Fortunately the break was a small bone above her toe so hopefully won't be too long she is already pi$$ed at having to miss her golf for a while!
Old 06-22-2019, 11:35 PM
  # 506 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh toots, hope your mum is soon whizzing back round the golf course.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:30 AM
  # 507 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs

FBL, 10 years is awesome.

Itchy, good luck with th viewing. It sounds like you won't need it though.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:03 AM
  # 508 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good luck with the viewing Itchy!

Toots, sorry about mum. Is she wearing a boot? I had to wear one twice in the past eight years. I am a klutz!
Old 06-23-2019, 02:32 AM
  # 509 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for all the kind words. Learning to live in gratitude every day has been such a blessing. I am truly inspired by each and every one of you here. We're all in this thing together. In recovery, there's nothing we can't do!
Old 06-23-2019, 03:55 AM
  # 510 (permalink)  

Congrats FBL!

By the grace of God we all remain sober, at least that's what I believe. I am grateful that I don't desire alcohol anymore. It's such a great thing to have some form of understanding of the disease of alcoholism, but to no longer be held within its grip. Freedom from alcohol is the greatest gift I have ever received.

Finished my temporary job on Friday and now have a week 'off' (which I have filled with various tasks and meet-ups etc, haha!) before I start my new job next week - exciting times!
Old 06-23-2019, 09:35 AM
  # 511 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey Overs!

Willow,
Thanks I need all the luck I can get. Actually here in NW Louisiana we have skunks AND bats as the wildlife sources. See this map and our extreme NW LA area is green (skunks) and lined (bats): https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/...eservoirs.html

Mags,
Do share the links if they do have online resources. I'm so sorry your allergies are kicking your butt outside. We know how you love to garden and go on lots of day trips.

Toots,
Sorry about your mom. We know how necessary the caregivers are. Your dad's lucky to have you ready and willing. I hope she's mended quickly.

Thanks Andy!

Star,
Thank you too.

Amen FBL!

FG,
I agree totally!
"Freedom from alcohol is the greatest gift I have ever received."

Gotta run and beat the afternoon thunderstorms to cut the grass for the coming week. It is forecast to rain all week so this may be my last chance here. I've fours hours or so.
Have a great day!
Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 PM
  # 512 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Overs

FG, it really does come to pass, when you stop wanting alcohol and start living our sober lives. What progress we have all made.

Itchy, hope you got the grass cut before the thunderstorms. Thought we was going to have them last night, the air was really muggy, but I didn’t see or hear them, I like to watch a good storm (from indoors)

Have a good day my friends xx
Old 06-23-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 513 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:59 AM
  # 514 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Itchy, I heard parts of Colorado got 20 inches of snow. Isn't that unusual even for Colorado?

Have a good Monday all!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:06 AM
  # 515 (permalink)  

Mags, feel better soon!

Toots, sorry to hear about your mum’s foot Having gone through the “aging parents phase” I do remember how challenging it was. Part of the challenge was never knowing when a routine-disrupting problem would occur. After it was over I realized that I was glad I could help. I suspect that is one of the things I enjoy about this phase of my life - little drama.

Itchy, I didn’t realize that there were still cases of bubonic plague! I hope you have an easy house sale. Sometimes they sell very quickly, others not - and it’s not always clear why.

FG, yes - freedom from alcohol is an awesome gift!

Whenever I accidentally miss a day here it becomes nearly impossible for me to catch up with everyone so my apologies and a big ‘hello’ and *hug* to everyone I missed!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 516 (permalink)  
Administrator

new thread:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-69-a.html (One Year & Over Part 69)

D